2015-2016 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also it could be due to the fact that I have chosen ED as my future path in medicine and I am currently working there....

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! Its weird because I didnt get an interview from this school last year but this year I got one early, compared to last year, also I have heard from a very reliable source that they are trying to fill their spots early this year, this person didn't give me the reason for it but it got me thinking.

Interviewed here yesterday. Amazing school. Interviewing earlier is an advantage in a sense because each month that they review applicants, those that interviewed in prior groups but weren't accepted are reviewed again with the next batch, and so on and so forth. So the earlier you interview, the more times you have a chance to be reviewed, if that makes sense.

Also, they stated that they do not fill all the seats until after the last set of interviews, so if you do interview before the last review, there will be seats still open in the class to be claimed. They stressed that the wait list is not made until March.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting, no response. Complete July :/

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone who has already interviewed. Tomorrow could be the day! (or maybe the 16th, they just said by the end of the week lol)

Wasn't nervous until you guys reminded me! Do we know if they send out rejections this week or only acceptances/still under review notifications?
No rejections, just acceptance or continuing to review (which is a genuine ongoing review). :xf:

Accepted! Could not be more thankful! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! So excited!! Did any of you interview this past Monday?

Got the "continue to be reviewed" email, have to say it's discouraging even though they say it happens to a lot of applicants. Can anyone read into chances following this status?

Congratulations to all who were accepted, it seems like such a great school and I really hope to have a chance to go here.

I'm honestly not as upset by this as I could be. At least it feels nice to be updated. I felt strong here and there is still a lot of time!

I interviewed there Monday and got accepted on Thursday. I'm interviewing at MUSC in a few weeks, but for the most part I'm intent on going to Greenville. I was torn for a while, but honestly they do an amazing job of selling the school there. It looks like an awesome place and I know a lot of people from M1's to M3's that love it.

For those that are applying with not-so-amazing stats, I had a below average GPA and an above average MCAT. One of my best friends got accepted about 10 minutes after I did and he had below average GPA and MCAT. What this school wants is diversity. Relative to a lot of schools (such as MUSC), they don't weigh grades or scores very high. They're mostly after experiences and perspectives that you can bring to the school. If you'll show those things, you'll be in great shape. In all honesty, I did not work half as hard as I know a lot of people on here do. Thankfully, I was able to get to do some cool volunteering for GHS and really emphasize and talk about that. I believe that my II really gave me the push over.

All this to say, don't be discouraged or afraid of being turned away for not being an incredibly compelling applicant. They want genuineness and competency. You show those things, you're in good shape.

Reactions: 5 users
I am an out-of-state student, and my application has been complete on Aug 24.
----How do I check my status? Online, the status box under requirement is blank...what does that mean?
----Does this school do 'silent rejections'? Or after how long do you think that I have no chance?
----Any OOS have experience (with stats please) of the longest they had to wait for an interview invite after application was complete?

For others who are accepted, do you guys know a good place to surf for info besides the USC-Greenville website? I'm excited and want to know as much as possible (about USC Greenville and medical school life in general).

DocHopeful1, I don't think there is a way to check your status online, but you can send update letters through the portal. At Interviews, they also said you can call admissions office and ask for status if you're really wondering. I don't know if they do silent rejections. I am OOS, and I waited about 6 weeks for an II, although I doubt I am the longest. Best of luck to you!!

Have you checked out the student blog? It's pretty cool and informative.
http://transformingmedschool.com/

For others who are accepted, do you guys know a good place to surf for info besides the USC-Greenville website? I'm excited and want to know as much as possible (about USC Greenville and medical school life in general).

DocHopeful1, I don't think there is a way to check your status online, but you can send update letters through the portal. At Interviews, they also said you can call admissions office and ask for status if you're really wondering. I don't know if they do silent rejections. I am OOS, and I waited about 6 weeks for an II, although I doubt I am the longest. Best of luck to you!!
Are you talking about calling admissions after interviews? Or calling them after sending secondaries?

Longtime lurker here. posting since I find recent IIs to be helpful... II 10/23. LizzyM<70. OOS w/ significant ties to SC.

Last edited:
One of my roommates got an II on 10/23

Hey guys,

Current 4th year student here just starting on the interview trail for residency. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program.

Do they only interview applicants with close ties to the state. I applied because I live in a bordering state but have no close ties.

Do they only interview applicants with close ties to the state. I applied because I live in a bordering state but have no close ties.
I'm interviewing Monday. I have very loose ties to the state and live in a bordering state. Low GPA, High MCAT. Take that as you will.

Hey guys,

Current 4th year student here just starting on the interview trail for residency. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program.
1. When you interviewed, you were interviewing for the chartering class. Why did you pick a medical school that was not established at that point? What about the school made you pick it?
2. How are residency interviews going with you, and with everyone? This is the first year Greenville students will be matching into residencies, correct? How do you anticipate those residencies stacking up against schools like MUSC or USC Columbia?
3. What are your favorite and least favorite parts about going to Greenville? What would you change?

Just got an II! Completely out of left field, would've never expected one. OOS with LizzyM 67-69 complete in early August. Literally no SC ties at all but LOVE the school!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm interviewing Monday. I have very loose ties to the state and live in a bordering state. Low GPA, High MCAT. Take that as you will.

I'm in the exact same boat! Low GPA, high MCAT

1. When you interviewed, you were interviewing for the chartering class. Why did you pick a medical school that was not established at that point? What about the school made you pick it?
2. How are residency interviews going with you, and with everyone? This is the first year Greenville students will be matching into residencies, correct? How do you anticipate those residencies stacking up against schools like MUSC or USC Columbia?
3. What are your favorite and least favorite parts about going to Greenville? What would you change?

1. I applied to the school for 2 reasons mainly - it was in SC (where I'm from, at the time was GA resident) and I wasn't a strong candidate (high 20's MCAT). I narrowed my choices down to MCG or Greenville. I chose Greenville for several reasons - Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) was excited about the program beginning. I can usually tell when excitement is insincere, and here it wasn't. I also liked how they were more into group learning/problem based learning than traditional schools (in hindsight this was probably the least favorite of my learning methods. I did better by staying home and studying by myself). The EMT program was an exciting prospect, but I don't feel this really added to my education (great interview fodder, though). I went to a small university, so I was looking forward to the small class size (obv. it's grown since our class). I was intrigued by the high tech aspect of the school, and I still like this aspect (GREAT simulation lab, great OSCE practice/testing center, online textbooks). The anatomy lab is on the top floor, with windows, and very well ventilated (also has computers with large touchscreens at each table to use aforementioned textbooks) . You'll be spending a good amount of time there, so that was a great benefit (as a side note, the anatomy professor is amazing - probably the best among basic science faculty). I wasn't too concerned with clinical rotations because Greenville had been hosting Columbia students for over 20 years. Lastly, Greenville vs Augusta: no contest. I'm sad that I may be leaving this city. You'll never find yourself wondering what to do, because you'll always be able to find something.

2. Correct, this will be the first year we match into residencies. Interviews for me will be starting next week. I'd consider myself an average candidate (230's both steps, B/B+ average) applying to a non-primary care field. Everyone I talked to in our class was nervous about this, for obvious reasons. However, for me it hasn't been bad at all. I applied to 30 programs and I've got 13 interviews lined up so far - 4 of them at top-tier programs. I also did an away rotation at one of those programs, and no one I interacted with seemed concerned about me being in a charter class, more intrigued if anything. Others I've talked to have gotten interviews at Duke, Vanderbilt, and Emory. As far as stacking up against Columbia and MUSC I can only speculate, but I think we'll be fairly competitive with MUSC.

3. Favorites about Greenville: completely responsive administration. We had a lot of say as to how our school was shaped, and the following classes have continued that. If you have a suggestion make it known! Our school is very active outside the classroom. We have a garden on campus, a running group, and they just implemented "colleges" where students across all 4 years can come together and compete against other colleges for fun (not much experience with this on my part, but it looks like it's worked out great so far). They also make sure we're well prepared for Step exams. Not sure about classes after us, but we had free qbank subscriptions for Step 1 and 2. They also gave several practice exams so you could see your progress. Least favorite parts - lack of communication. This issue has been fixed, but it was pretty much trial by fire for us for things like review books and research opportunities (there are plenty).

All in all, I've really enjoyed it here.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone made a Facebook group for class of 2020?

I interviewed there Monday and got accepted on Thursday. I'm interviewing at MUSC in a few weeks, but for the most part I'm intent on going to Greenville. I was torn for a while, but honestly they do an amazing job of selling the school there. It looks like an awesome place and I know a lot of people from M1's to M3's that love it.

For those that are applying with not-so-amazing stats, I had a below average GPA and an above average MCAT. One of my best friends got accepted about 10 minutes after I did and he had below average GPA and MCAT. What this school wants is diversity. Relative to a lot of schools (such as MUSC), they don't weigh grades or scores very high. They're mostly after experiences and perspectives that you can bring to the school. If you'll show those things, you'll be in great shape. In all honesty, I did not work half as hard as I know a lot of people on here do. Thankfully, I was able to get to do some cool volunteering for GHS and really emphasize and talk about that. I believe that my II really gave me the push over.

All this to say, don't be discouraged or afraid of being turned away for not being an incredibly compelling applicant. They want genuineness and competency. You show those things, you're in good shape.

Thank you so much for this. I have been in a total panic over how I am going to explain my low MCAT scores. Glad to hear they take more than just that into consideration.

This may be too early to ask, but are you finding that many of your peers are planning to stay in SC for their residencies, or do you think people will match around the region and neighboring states as well?

What are the best parts about Greenville the city?

And what's the student body generally like? Lecture-goers or not really, competitive or not too competitive, tend to hang out together or do their own thing? Just wondering about some general themes.

1. That's a difficult question to answer. Depending on the specialty your options are pretty limited in SC (for some your only option is MUSC).

2. There's literally ALWAYS something to do (http://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/events/). There are museums, a zoo, the Swamp Rabbit Trail, several craft breweries, and almost any restaurant you can imagine.

3. With our class the majority ended up not going to lecture. There was a competitive atmosphere, but no gunner issues. Everyone is happy to help each other out. And we got together for lots of things, like intramural sports and trivia night.

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between Greenville and USC Columbia, is anyone else in the same boat? I've interviewed at MUSC and haven't heard anything but I'm pretty sure I don't want to go there. There are great things going for each school (Greenville is brand new, everyone seems really excited and dedicated-Columbia has more opportunities for research, the ultrasound program, and this might be an unjustified bias but the students seems a little younger & more tight knit than at Greenville but I don't really know). Halp. I think I would be really happy at either school idk what to do.

For those of you already accepted to Greenville, congratulations!!

As an OOS applicant who saw how insanely long their app is, I salute those who have successfully completed the app.

For those of you already accepted to Greenville, congratulations!!

As an OOS applicant who saw how insanely long their app is, I salute those who have successfully completed the app.
No joke! I've been working on this beast for almost 3 weeks lol