2015-2016 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to the MSAR they interviewed 225 instate applicants last year and 57 matriculated. They interviewed 127 out of state applicants and 25 matriculated. I don't think the MSAR reports on how many acceptances they gave out, but I hear most schools have to give out a couple acceptances per matriculant. So chances probably are somewhere around 50 percent assuming the numbers remain like last year's.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully my committee LOR will be submitted this week. I'm anxious to see how things will play out with this school.

What kind of MCAT score are you guys working with?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went on a campus visit in June and they said they accept about 100 people. So that increases the odds a bit.

Submitted a while ago, anyone's application status blank?

Received the "complete" email. I know thee are some interviews out there. How long after your complete did you get the II?

Received the "complete" email. I know thee are some interviews out there. How long after your complete did you get the II?

Idk... ive been complete since the beginning of july, and still haven't gotten an interview here. But have interviews at the other two SC schools. My roommate goes to USCSoM Greenville and loves it, so I am anxiously waiting for this II.....

I am hoping they are just slow at sending the submit button ;)

Love this school. Applying OOS, secondary was one of the longer/more interesting ones I've done so far, and I'm waiting on my MCAT score from an 8/22 re-take.

Anyone heard anything? Very dead. ..

II today! Excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can everyone who received an II say their OOS/IS and their completion date? Congrats to all!

Just got II today, IS student, Lizzy M 67, complete email received on 7/29/15

Reactions: 1 users
I'm guessing we all might be interviewing on the same day then, but that's just a hunch. Does anyone here know how many people are interviewed in one day?

Dang, everyone got interviews here today. Didn't get mine. Wonder if that's a bad sign.

When were you all complete? I was on 9/2

Interviewed here yesterday so here are some notes. There were 15 of us who interviewed yesterday. I believe they said this was there 3rd interview day. Dr. Catalana said that everyone who interviews before Oct. 15 will hear something on the 15th. Either an acceptance or continuing to evaluate with the rest of the regular decision applicants. A wait list won't be formed until March. After Oct. 15 he said acceptances will mainly go out in bunches at the middle of each month. ADCOMs meet in the afternoon directly after the interviews are over. He also explained how admissions decisions are made. Each interviewee is given a numerical score in 7 different categories. Not sure if I'm remembering them exactly right but it's something along the lines of MCAT, GPA, shadowing, ECs, interview, AMCAS, and secondaries. Nothing really surprising there but found it interesting that you actually receive a numerical value. Other schools probably do this and just don't explicitly say so. Your score is also used for scholarship purposes.

A few people had 2 on 1 interviews yesterday because they are training ADCOMs but this won't happen much longer if at all. Both of my interviews were pretty relaxed, and I think they went well. They asked basic questions like why this school, why medicine, could elaborate on this EC, elaborate on this statement from your app etc. They do have a list questions that every interviewer uses. They won't strictly pull from this, but they'll try to ask a question from each category. These include topics like critical reasoning and communication skills. One of my interviewers wasn't super fond of them and kind of explained why he was bothering to ask them.

The facilities are awesome. The only real drawback that I see is that I'm not sure how it will accommodate the ~200 students that will be using it next year. There is only one true lecture hall but there is another large room with many round tables that is also used for lectures. The whole building is very high tech and the simulation equipment is sweet. The only other medical school I've seen is USC Columbia, but Greenville's facilities are substantially better.

Short note about research. They used to require students to do a research project and I believe this is still listed on the MSAR. However they no longer do. Basically they liked the idea but they didn't have enough research to go around for 100 students per class. Clinical research is still available if you want to do it but it seems somewhat limited. I don't think there is really much bench research if any.

Overall it seems like a great school and a great hospital system despite being so new. They said there step 1 first time pass rate was above national average (either 96 or 98%). Said Step 1 scores were at national average (Who knows what this means. I doubt any school would admit to being any lower than this). Step 2 scores are 6 points above national average for those 4th years who have already taken it. (I'd guess this would skew it upwards as stronger students would be more likely to take it earlier).

Interesting notes:
~3450 applicants this cycle
39 Early Decision Applicants
last year they gave out 180 acceptances and matriculated 104
They are going to stay at ~100 per class for now
They have a ton of scholarship money, both merit and need based. They make it very clear that they know most students will have multiple acceptances and that if they want you they will offer $ to recruit you. 50% of matriculants for 2015 received some money. Of those who filled out the scholarship app 75% got money.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong but that means every IS applicant has a (180 acceptances given x ~.75 for IS:OOS student body ratio = 135 IS acceptances. 135 IS acceptances divided by 225 IS interviews given = .6) 60% likelihood of acceptance when they receive an II.

II just now.

OOS, LizzyM ~67. I have no ****ing idea how I got this but I'm pretty excited.

Reactions: 4 users
have any early decision applicants gotten an acceptance decision yet? not for me but a friend

OOS people, what hotel did you stay at? Or IS people, what hotel should I stay at?

Last edited:
whats the average turn around time between reviewing applications and sending an invite for interviews?

whats the average turn around time between reviewing applications and sending an invite for interviews?
2 months. Most people with interview invites currently were complete in July.

Also highly advise changing your avatar to something that isn't you if you want to keep any semblance of anonymity.

2 months. Most people with interview invites currently were complete in July.

Also highly advise changing your avatar to something that isn't you if you want to keep any semblance of anonymity.
thanks. had no idea. I guess it linked with my social media

Current students: Has the school been washed away? Is it still there? Do you need a care package?

Reactions: 2 users
Second year applying, got interview invite for 27th on 9/16! wohoo! Super excited!!! does any one know if earlier interview means better chances of getting in? also would any one else mind sharing stats who got interviews here? mine are bellow average and Im kinda nervous....

Second year applying, got interview invite for 27th on 9/16! wohoo! Super excited!!! does any one know if earlier interview means better chances of getting in? also would any one else mind sharing stats who got interviews here? mine are bellow average and Im kinda nervous....
If it is rolling admissions, early is generally better.
Interview=There is a spot with your name in their class
It is up to you to claim it or give it it away....
Generally, schools will only send II for people that they are really considering for admission . So you should be stoked ;)

Thanks! Its weird because I didnt get an interview from this school last year but this year I got one early, compared to last year, also I have heard from a very reliable source that they are trying to fill their spots early this year, this person didn't give me the reason for it but it got me thinking.