You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Virginia Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For the current students: What makes UVA special? Are there any unique features about the school that are not discussed on the website?
Vineyard vines and sperrys. Better up your tie game while you're at it. I can't tell if this is a serious question, but it's probably because it's Saturday and I can't put myself in your shoes right now.
Does anyone know how receptive UVA is towards LGBT applicants?
We had two openly gay members of my class (2014) in leadership positions. There were definitely others, but were not quite as out and loud about their orientation. Not sure about any trans individuals, but in general, they are very accepting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FINALLY got the application complete email. I submitted this like 3 weeks ago what
I wonder if this means I got passed over for an interview
anxiety
I wonder if this means I got passed over for an interview
anxiety
FINALLY got the application complete email. I submitted this like 3 weeks ago what
I wonder if this means I got passed over for an interview
anxiety
+1, just got complete (and submitted a while back)
+1, just got complete (and submitted a while back)
+2 - submitted 7/22 and complete 7/28
or should i say, wahoowa*
looks like it might mean I was passed over then 🙁
when did you submit? i submitted 7/6
I'm searching my email but I can't find any complete email. I don't remember receiving one either =/
could be that I'm in a separate pool from you, since my stats are slightly lower. The email says that "preliminary review of my application will now begin," but I'm not sure I necessarily trust it
I didn't receive a complete email before the II
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys did anybody get an interview without an email? I just logged onto the portal and there's a new interview tab that says "You have been invited to interview. Please select a date..." I didn't get a complete email either, but I've had all my items shown as received in the portal for a while.
I'm wondering is it safe to schedule the interview without an email? I checked my spam folders but I couldn't find anything. Maybe they'll send an email soon?
I'm wondering is it safe to schedule the interview without an email? I checked my spam folders but I couldn't find anything. Maybe they'll send an email soon?
On the "communication status" page on the portal, it also shows an interview invite email.. weird but I guess something just went wrong with my email account and i didn't receive it
@NJvincanity, are you VA resident? The complete email I received states this :
If you are a Virginia resident, your application is considered complete and will be reviewed, but we are unable to issue interview invitations until you submit your Application for Virginia Instate Educational Privileges form.
http://www.virginia.edu/provost/vastatus/
If you are a Virginia resident, your application is considered complete and will be reviewed, but we are unable to issue interview invitations until you submit your Application for Virginia Instate Educational Privileges form.
http://www.virginia.edu/provost/vastatus/
@NJvincanity, are you VA resident? The complete email I received states this :
If you are a Virginia resident, your application is considered complete and will be reviewed, but we are unable to issue interview invitations until you submit your Application for Virginia Instate Educational Privileges form.
http://www.virginia.edu/provost/vastatus/
Yup, VA resident. I did submit the form a while ago. Didn't receive a complete email, but the items were checked off on the portal.
Any MSTP applicants get an II?
Update: just got the II email!
Not me.Any MSTP applicants get an II?
Have you gotten any II's for any of the programs you applied for? I feel like our process is moving much slower than everyone else's (understandably), but I just want to make sure I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from any one regarding II's!Not me.
also got the complete email. was complete on 7/23Update: just got the II email!
No one yet. My stats are good 4.0/518, good research and decent ECs, so I am trying not to worry yet. You shouldn't either. I stalked the prior years threads and I think, for the most part, it does move slower for us.Have you gotten any II's for any of the programs you applied for? I feel like our process is moving much slower than everyone else's (understandably), but I just want to make sure I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from any one regarding II's!
2º submitted and complete just now! That was an instantaneous complete email post-submission so everything else was already sitting there. Kudos to UVA for a great electronic system!
Last year there were OOS people who submitted around now and got an II in less than a week. Here's to being impatient and hoping that may be the case for me!
Last year there were OOS people who submitted around now and got an II in less than a week. Here's to being impatient and hoping that may be the case for me!

Yo tambien!2º submitted and complete just now! That was an instantaneous complete email post-submission so everything else was already sitting there. Kudos to UVA for a great electronic system!
Last year there were OOS people who submitted around now and got an II in less than a week. Here's to being impatient and hoping that may be the case for me!![]()
Hey my name is avgn! Not tambienYo tambien!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey my name is avgn! Not tambien
sarcasm?
I just have one reason after another. No need to force transitions IMO if you're just writing about your reasonsDo your why us essays flow from beginning to end? or are they just 1 reason followed by a specific school feature.
Got my II this morning!! Super excited because this is my first II of this cycle. OOS, 35/3.86
Got my II this morning!! Super excited because this is my first II of this cycle. OOS, 35/3.86
Congrats! Giving us OOSer's hope! 🙂
UVA is more OOS than IS lol that's already a lot of hope!Congrats! Giving us OOSer's hope! 🙂
UVA is more OOS than IS lol that's already a lot of hope!![]()
Still, this is more concrete hope 😛 😀
Thanks! Stay strong! Apparently UVA's interview day is pretty chill, so I'm actually looking forward to it rather than dreading it hahaCongrats! Giving us OOSer's hope! 🙂
Which schools are known to be stressful? Everything I've heard is schools being chill lolThanks! Stay strong! Apparently UVA's interview day is pretty chill, so I'm actually looking forward to it rather than dreading it haha
Hah good point! I guess I was mostly considering the style of interview. UVA does two one-on-one interviews, which I find to be much more relaxing and less intimidating than, say, a panel interview or MMIs. Plus going over interview feedback for UVA on sdn, it seems that the admissions office really has their stuff together and that the whole day flows smoothly. Plus they apparently only interview 6-8 people a day, which seems much less overwhelming than a large group.Which schools are known to be stressful? Everything I've heard is schools being chill lol
Did you do this to subscribe to the thread? You can also just click "Watch Thread" at the top of the page before the first post. Right hand side of screen. FYI
when were you complete?Got my II this morning!! Super excited because this is my first II of this cycle. OOS, 35/3.86
I was complete the 27th, and then got my II four days later. Really surprisingly quick.when were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We are super early in the year...OOS with those stats get invited every year. Sit tight and find other things to keep you occupied, lest you get aneurysm from worryingAnyone with a LizzyM closer to 71-73 get an II, OOS?
Anyone with a LizzyM closer to 71-73 get an II, OOS?
I'm OOS LizzyM 73 and just sittin here and praying 🙂
I am OOS, 72. complete 7/23 but nothing.Anyone with a LizzyM closer to 71-73 get an II, OOS?
For the current students: What makes UVA special? Are there any unique features about the school that are not discussed on the website?
UVA is great for a number of reasons. The pass/fail pre-clinical is great, and since everyone is so intelligent and driven, it seems like a really collaborative space instead of just being cutthroat. Even the new medical education building is designed with collaboration in mind, having round tables that seat ~10 and projectors that line the room. There's also a traditional lecture hall where you have about half of your classes too though. Almost all classes are recorded so you can podcast them at a higher speed from home, but some classes are required like weekly patient presentations, TBLs (which are a great way of learning, but rather tedious and team-based), and anatomy labs. Some classes will have graded in class assignments though that you don't have to do, but that are certainly a good idea. We have CPD once a week, which is mentoring with a physician and non physician in 6-person groups, and consists largely of cases, clinical skills practice, and patient interviews in the hospital. There's a decent amount of research here, and about half of the students do a funded summer research project called MMSRP, but last year there was kind of a shortage of spots so I would recommend trying to find a project early. We have a good reputation, and it's pretty easy to do away rotations here, which is great for residency, and the shortened pre-clinical curriculum means that you finish all of your required rotations before having to apply for residencies. It also means you have more free time and an easier time scheduling interviews in fourth year.
As for UVA in general, Charlottesville is small, but has a decent bar/restaurant scene. There's a big Greek presence that you'll see but won't be a part of as a medical student. Athletics are big here, and all of our teams are good except for football. Charlottesville is near the Shanendoas, so if hiking is your thing, you'll love it. Overall, I really just love the people here, and the experience makes me feel like I'll actually maintain my sanity/personality through medical school. Hope this helps.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K