2015-2016 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if I’m posting in the right place (if not, please point me to a better forum). I’m starting my first year here at UVA this summer. Just have a question about the course setup. I’ve been looking through the student handbook website and please let me know if it’s wrong but my understanding is that the NxGen consists of four parts:

1. lectures
2. SIM
3. CPD
4. mandatory volunteer

I'm just curious about what the normal schedule is like during M1/M2. I figured that lectures usually go from 8am to 12pm. And for volunteers you just have to find your own schedule. But what about SIM and CPD? Do they take place during the afternoon or mornings? How many days do we usually participate in SIM and CPD? What is the structure of SIM or CPD (lectures or PBL or team-based PBL, etc.)?

I would also like to know how do you guys find shadowing opportunities at UVA, cold emails or through the department?

Lastly, can you guys recommend any cheap/safe places to rent?

Thanks in advance

Not sure if I’m posting in the right place (if not, please point me to a better forum). I’m starting my first year here at UVA this summer. Just have a question about the course setup. I’ve been looking through the student handbook website and please let me know if it’s wrong but my understanding is that the NxGen consists of four parts:

1. lectures
2. SIM
3. CPD
4. mandatory volunteer

I'm just curious about what the normal schedule is like during M1/M2. I figured that lectures usually go from 8am to 12pm. And for volunteers you just have to find your own schedule. But what about SIM and CPD? Do they take place during the afternoon or mornings? How many days do we usually participate in SIM and CPD? What is the structure of SIM or CPD (lectures or PBL or team-based PBL, etc.)?

I would also like to know how do you guys find shadowing opportunities at UVA, cold emails or through the department?

Thanks in advance

There is no mandatory volunteer... that's part of the SIM experience. Honestly, this is nothing to worry about. Go get drunk. Like seriously.. it's a bloody May and a 3Day weekend.... What are you doing with your life?

Okay, now that I got that out of the way. Class is typically 8-12, but that is not set in stone. SIM lectures are during class time and there are about 10-15 of them... not mandatory. Rarely is a class mandatory that isn't for a grade. CPD is one day a week in the afternoon for 4 hours and the day depends on your college. You will then have a SIM assignment that's one day a week either in the first semester or the second semester (college dependent).

CPD isn't a class. It's six students with a mentor going over classes, participating in skill sessions, and shooting the ****.

Don't live east of 10th street. JPA and Fry's Spring are cheaper. Stop worrying about shadowing... Pass FOM and CTMD first.

Members don't see this ad :)
N

Thanks in advance
Having lived in Cville for a large chunk of my life (while renting and trying to be near the medical center due to my mother's job)...rent in Cville is pretty cheap overall. My info is all about 5 years out of date, sure, but a fairly roomy 2 bedroom place with a yard (we had a dog) were in the $700-$800 range at that point. We ended up within biking distance of the med center, with a yard, washer/dryer, and 2 bedrooms for $700-800 total. My friends who went to UVa and had fewer stipulations for their housing usually found places to share with a bunch of roommates for pretty low per-person rate.

If you're looking to save a ton, you can go further out from Cville, but then you pay in gas/parking, so it's usually not worth it imo.

As far as safe, well...Cville is an odd place in that it feels incredibly safe almost everywhere, and you don't worry too much about low-level crime, but every once in a while, something big and bizarre will happen. I wouldn't really recommend changing where you live based on that. Just be aware that yes, it is considered normal and feels safe for a girl to go wandering the streets alone pretty much anywhere even at 3am, but that very fact makes Cville a prime place for the occasional rando to find someone wandering alone at 3am without anyone worrying about it. :shrug: So you should still exercise some common sense even though it's overall a very safe town.

Could anyone please comment on the Phronesis Project? Deadline is this Friday (which is today) to "express a desire to participate" (they will randomly select 12 students). Thanks.

They take a lot of OOS for a public school, don't they? Are they Cali friendly?

They take a lot of OOS for a public school, don't they? Are they Cali friendly?

Unfortunately they do...They don't show much love to us VA residents :( Last year they took more OOS than instate

Unfortunately they do...They don't show much love to us VA residents :( Last year they took more OOS than instate
I just wish VA was one of those states that took 'where you graduated HS' for its IS tuition criteria...

I just wish they showed some more love. I realize they want to take the best applicants possible but damn! More OOS than instate for a non-private school is tough

I just wish they showed some more love. I realize they want to take the best applicants possible but damn! More OOS than instate for a non-private school is tough
I'm applying from California, so I feel you.

Reactions: 1 user
trade lives with me? I've wanted to be in Cali since I've been 10 years old

Best of luck to everyone! See you on the other side hopefully :)

Hi everyone!

I haven't gotten a secondary yet but assuming it's the same prompt, does anyone have input on whether we should mention rural medicine in the "why UVA" essay? I have other reasons for choosing the university that aren't related to rural medicine. Should I just not mention it or would sprinkling it in there help my chances? I'm OOS, 3.7/37

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I haven't gotten a secondary yet but assuming it's the same prompt, does anyone have input on whether we should mention rural medicine in the "why UVA" essay? I have other reasons for choosing the university that aren't related to rural medicine. Should I just not mention it or would sprinkling it in there help my chances? I'm OOS, 3.7/37

I'm not sure if I would fully characterize UVA medicine as rural medicine, having visited there pretty often. Nor do I believe it would significantly help your chances, I'd suggest using the other reasons! UVA offers many opportunities and other benefits :)

Secondary received. OOS, verified 6/11.

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? (350 words)
2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (350 words)
3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it? (350 words)

I'm not sure if I would fully characterize UVA medicine as rural medicine, having visited there pretty often. Nor do I believe it would significantly help your chances, I'd suggest using the other reasons! UVA offers many opportunities and other benefits :)
ok cool. It looks like they emphasize that part a little heavily online, though, but I'll see if what I write sounds good or not

Secondary received. OOS, verified 6/11.

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? (350 words)
2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (350 words)
3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it? (350 words)

Secondary received! Same essays as last year +1.

submitted! one of my top schools so fingers crossed

Has anyone dealt with this: The application says: "All Applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of course work in an accredited U.S., Canadian or United Kingdom college or university at the time of application." But, their website says "A minimum of 90 semester hour credits received in an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university are required for matriculation. Preference will be given to students who, by the time of matriculation, will have received the bachelor’s degree or higher." I will have the requirements by matriculation, but not by application submission. Any recommendations?

Has anyone dealt with this: The application says: "All Applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of course work in an accredited U.S., Canadian or United Kingdom college or university at the time of application." But, their website says "A minimum of 90 semester hour credits received in an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university are required for matriculation. Preference will be given to students who, by the time of matriculation, will have received the bachelor’s degree or higher." I will have the requirements by matriculation, but not by application submission. Any recommendations?
it probably doesn't matter. Just make sure you have your future coursework as accurately written as possible

For any in-state applicants out there:
We are supposed to send the In-State Privileges form to the email address shown on the form (vastatus), not the admissions email right?
I was just wondering cause completed it and emailed it to the address shown on the form, but haven't received any sort of confirmation that they got it.
Thanks

yeah i sent it to the vastatus email, i didn't get any confirmation either

If we're OOS, we didn't have to take any action on that form correct? I don't recall even seeing a mention of it on my secondary!

Just curious, is anyone else having issues with delayed LoE's after submitting their secondary? It's been a week since I've submitted my secondary and 1.5 weeks since my letters have been uploaded to AMCAS but UVA has still shown they've only received one of my letters.

Just curious, is anyone else having issues with delayed LoE's after submitting their secondary? It's been a week since I've submitted my secondary and 1.5 weeks since my letters have been uploaded to AMCAS but UVA has still shown they've only received one of my letters.

Hey, just for your reference all mine showed up as received even before I submitted the secondary. The date shown next to the letter is the date that I added them to AMCAS. This is in contrast to a lot of the other schools I am applying to where the letters have not been added yet. I had individual letters in AMCAS, not a committee. Hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the info! I called them and the lady I spoke with said they've been having some issues importing from AMCAS since she went in and checked my actual account and said she saw my letters are there. Hopefully it doesn't delay our applications too much :(

Anyone think II's will start going out next week?

I hope so! Has anyone received any confirmation of the in-state form being processed?

nvm, I just called their office and they said they received the form w/o any confirmation email

Only one letter is showing up as received for me as well. I contacted their admissions office a week ago and got this reply: "Our IT support is working on the problem with the letters of recommendation. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused."

Seems like just an electronic issue, hopefully it'll be resolved soon. Let us know if any updates happen on your end?

Bugger. Was kind of hoping others would have better luck (but also glad I'm not alone in this boat too, haha :p). I called their office a couple times as well and they always gave me that very same answer. Checked my status today and it's still the same.

Will definitely update if I hear anything else from them.

any out of state submitted first week of june not complete?

any out of state submitted first week of june not complete?

Verified June 30th, Submitted secondary over 2 weeks ago, and still not complete. Been held up over LoR's not being imported to their system from AMCAS.
OOS from Cali

Whoops. Realized I never plugged my lil info form into this thread. Thought UVA would have had some IIs out by now as they usually work pretty fast, but hopefully they'll be out soon! :luck:

University of Virginia School of Medicine
Stats (info sheet for entering class of 2014)
4,804 applications (889 in-state, 3915 out of state)
625 interviewed (145 in-state, 480 out of state)
Class of 2018 demographics:
  • 28% URM
  • 46% in-state, 54% out of state
  • Average GPA: 3.76
  • Average MCAT: 34.48
Secondary Application (there is no pre-screen)
  • Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? (350 words)
  • How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (350 words)
  • Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it? (350 words)
Important Dates (2014-2015)
First secondary: July 2nd, 2014
First interview invite: July 11th, 2014 (OOS and IS released at same time)
First acceptance: October 16th, 2014 via email
First pre-interview rejection: February 6th, 2015 via email

Curriculum
  • 1.5 year pass/fail preclinical.
Update Letter Policy
  • Pre interview updates may be sent to [email protected]
  • UVA makes post-interview decisions for each week of interviewees every Friday, so they discouraged post-interview updates due to the very short period of time between interview and decision.
Notes
  • As per interview day, most out-of-state students are unable to establish Virginia residency for tuition purposes. Requirements can be found here.
  • Class of 2014 match list.
  • Historical Step 1 and Step 2 scores.
PS: If you guys get to interview, the lunch here is legendary. :xf: Hopefully they still serve the peach cobbler...

Reactions: 3 users
@hellanutella

I'm curious: what do you know about the clinical rotations/clerkships there? Are they crowded? Are they awesome? Tell me (if you can)! :p

@hellanutella

I'm curious: what do you know about the clinical rotations/clerkships there? Are they crowded? Are they awesome? Tell me (if you can)! :p

Sadly, I'm not a UVA student! Only interviewed there (and had an awesome time), but hopefully some current/past students can chime in with the info. :) From what I can recall of my interview day, they had tons of possible rotation sites.

What exactly would you like to know?

Do you feel you received an excellent education on each of your rotations? Are there any you absolutely hated?

How far do you have to travel, on average, for your rotations?

Do they tend to be crowded?

What would you improve about them?

Thanks!

Do you feel you received an excellent education on each of your rotations? Are there any you absolutely hated?

Patient care is the goal. Your education is not. You need to remember that as there are many rotations were you don't exist. You need to accept this and be ready to mentally take note of confusing things or items you want clarification on. Ask about them later, but if they're simple or can easily be looked up, do that. Ask questions that split from the norm and can provoke a good discussion between all levels on the team.

I feel like there is no real difference from anywhere else. Third year is a self-learning process. The rest of your education will involve a lot of learning on your own part and rotations are NO different. By and large, most services are good about asking questions to provoke a discussion rather than flat our nervousness and fear. There's still some of that though, service dependent. The better residents will expect you to know the basics and then ask you specifics on procedural aspects to see if you understand why a particular service does something one way. This is far better in my opinion as most of this is institution specific anyway.

OB/GYN has great didactic sessions... other services don't... whatever. On general IM rounds, you should be prepared for some great "teaching". Be prepared to work if you go to the VA for Surgery.

Bottom line: You get in what you put out for education.

How far do you have to travel, on average, for your rotations?

This having to travel all over for everything is blown out of proportion. You can easily have 0 away time third year if you're smart and/or trade. The farthest you'll have to go is WV, TN border, or the eastern shore, but that's only for 3-4 weeks. Only surgery, psych, peds, and ob/gyn have anyway away time outside of FM/Ambulatory IM (IM might have Salem again, but that's doubtful) and all of the sites are within two hours. Honestly, you do more when you are away from UVA.

Do they tend to be crowded?

No. OB/GYN maybe a little bit. Aways at other hospitals can be, but that's because there are students from other schools at these sites.

What would you improve about them?

Ability to choose IM services would be a great starting point. Reduction of surgery to 6 weeks would be chill. You shouldn't try and get to involved, but you shouldn't throw away advantages to practice presentations and such. If a rotation starts doing that, then bring it up and talk to them as that part benefits your learning. On the flip side, don't take it too personally if nothing comes of it as Patient care is #1. I honestly don't think about this one that much.

Either way,
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
For the current students: What makes UVA special? Are there any unique features about the school that are not discussed on the website?

For any in-state applicants out there:
We are supposed to send the In-State Privileges form to the email address shown on the form (vastatus), not the admissions email right?
I was just wondering cause completed it and emailed it to the address shown on the form, but haven't received any sort of confirmation that they got it.
Thanks

I'm glad I saw this post. I literally had no idea about this "vastatus" form... I just emailed the PDF to [email protected].