2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trying to decide between Albany and another school. Are there any current students that can talk about student life outside of course work? Are there a lot of hiking opportunities/climbing/bars in or close to Albany? I like the program but the location seems so isolated. Also, can anyone comment on distractions while taking tests for the rolling exam times (for those who don't know, there is a "window" for taking exams, ie you will have a 5 hour window to complete a 2 hour exam, which you can come in at any time during that 5 hours to complete). I am worried about people strolling in and interrupting my train of though since I'm a little OCD.
I attended their second look and they had a part where we got to meet a number of the clubs. There was an outdoors club which does hiking/climbing/skiing/etc so there's plenty of that with all the mountains around. They also took us out and there's definitely a number of bars and food spots about 10-15 min walk from teh medical center. It sounded like students generally have time for several extra curricualr activities on top of course work, whether it be sports, volunteering, medical interest groups, etc.
Have no idea about the rolling test times, but I'd think that people would be generally courteous about not being super loud/disruptive when they walked in, but hopefully a student can shed more light on this
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those recently accepted off the waitlist, would you mind sharing your stats and is or oos? Thanks in advance! Congrats btw!!!
 
On MSAR:

"Typically, around 200 are offered a position on the wait list. In 2016, 57 replied yes to the wait list. 9 were accepted off the waitlist."

Does this just refer to Alternate list? I can't imagine this being the case for UC. If so, does anyone know what UC numbers look like?
 
On MSAR:

"Typically, around 200 are offered a position on the wait list. In 2016, 57 replied yes to the wait list. 9 were accepted off the waitlist."

Does this just refer to Alternate list? I can't imagine this being the case for UC. If so, does anyone know what UC numbers look like?

Did we ever have to send an email accepting our position in the waitlist or something? If I didn't reply to the email about me being on UC, am I not on the waitlist for Albany? I don't recall reading anything asking for a reply in the UC email...

Also, what's the difference between the WL movement happening now and the movement that will supposedly happen in June?
 
Did we ever have to send an email accepting our position in the waitlist or something? If I didn't reply to the email about me being on UC, am I not on the waitlist for Albany? I don't recall reading anything asking for a reply in the UC email...

Also, what's the difference between the WL movement happening now and the movement that will supposedly happen in June?

I don't think the UC list email asked us to do anything. And I don't think there's really any difference I think they just keep taking people until the class is full. I am surprised though by the lack of movement thusfar. Only 3 people reported getting off the UC list here on SDN (obviously way more did IRL but if you look at other years threads there was usually 5-10 people reporting on the first week. Yes I know n=small number though).
 
I think sometime later in the summer, the UC list turns into a tradition waitlist in which 200 positions are offered, but only 57 accept a spot on the WL, of which 9 get accepted.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?
 
Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?
For question 5, think of it as a "What makes you unique/stand out from the rest of the applicants".
 
Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?

I talked about an inconsistency between my practice MCAT, actual MCAT, and my GPA. I would say go ahead and say that is an inconsistency but turn it around into a lesson learned.
 
Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?

If there is no where else in the secondary to answer the question "Why AMC", use question 5 to do so. That goes for every secondary that you write. If they don't specially ask, gear one of your answers as to why you chose to apply to their school, and why you're a good fit. (As if your $100 wasn't enough lol). I know from first hand experience that if you don't do this, you can actually seem disinterested in the school. Or rather, they're just another on the list of schools you applied to. (Not all schools are like that but why risk it.) Sending a post secondary email of interest doesn't hurt either. Best of luck 🙂
 
For those of you that were accepted and decided to attend AMC, what are the qualities about the school that made you feel like studying here for the next (at least) 4 years of your life was the right decision? Location, students, vibe, residency placements, etc.? Was there anything notable (in a positive way) about the school that distinguished it from other schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad