2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One can say that by stating what questions won't be asked you are in a sense indirectly disclosing prompts. But hey, like I said, you do what you think is cool.
I disagree since one facet of MMI's is that they change prompts all the time to prevent "pre-study." I could theoretically say that "I wasn't asked about unicorns on Mars," but that does not preclude them from asking about unicorns on Mars next time. However that is all beside the point. The point is somebody wanted to know if it was traditional and MMI or just MMI to which I replied with the same info as the website states. Case closed.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude what? He said there was only an MMI. Didn't say anything about what prompts would or wouldn't be there. The fact that there's only an MMI is on the website and everywhere else. There's not some secret traditional interview that we also signed an NDA for. Pretty sure any lawyer or member of the Albany adcom would agree.

I disagree since one facet of MMI's is that they change prompts all the time to prevent "pre-study." I could theoretically say that "I wasn't asked about unicorns on Mars," but that does not preclude them from asking about unicorns on Mars next time. However that is all beside the point. The point is somebody wanted to know if it was traditional and MMI or just MMI to which I replied with the same info as the website states. Case closed.

The original question was: in addition to MMI, do they have any traditional interview component where you get asked standard interview questions, e.g. why albany, why medicine? So clearly there were prompts he answered that wouldn't be there by answering "just MMI". Also the website only says MMI format, which yes does omit a traditional interview format but not "standard interview questions". That's a big difference, format vs type of questions. And the Mars example? way off topic. Just my 2 cents.

Also, any people still prepping for the interview, this would be a great MMI situation to play around with haha.

I'll take "Undergraduates should probably be required to take more math" for 600, Alex

The original question was: in addition to MMI, do they have any traditional interview component where you get asked standard interview questions, e.g. why albany, why medicine? So clearly there were prompts he answered that wouldn't be there by answering "just MMI". Also the website only says MMI format, which yes does omit a traditional interview format but not "standard interview questions". That's a big difference, format vs type of questions.
You realize it's still possible for them to ask those "standard interview questions" during the MMI, right? Let me rephrase the question as such to illustrate:

Condition 1: MMI (wherein they can ask whatever they want)
Condition 2: Traditional wherein they must ask "traditional interview questions"

The question asked can be stated as "Is it (Condition 1 and Condition 2) xor (Condition 1)?" My reply was that it was Condition 1 (the second option). This does not indirectly imply anything about the MMI since I only stated that Condition 2 was absent. The door is still open for them to ask "Why Albany?" etc. in the MMI and I haven't disclosed anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Mars example? way off topic.

Nope; it was a direct response to this part of your post:

One can say that by stating what questions won't be asked you are in a sense indirectly disclosing prompts.

It is on topic because it illustrated that even if I did state what I had not been asked in the MMI (which I said nothing of the sort. In fact, it could be argued that you are the one "way off topic" by even pointing this out.) it still does not preclude that question from being asked in the MMI. By stating what you weren't asked about, it gives the inquirer no additional information about their interview. As I stated before, MMI's change up the prompts all the time so each set can be considered independent, and what do we know about independent events? By definition, one does not affect the other(!) I'm sorry that you do not seem very good at abstractions, however it was just a silly example to demonstrate a point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, any people still prepping for the interview, this would be a great MMI situation to play around with haha.

No, it really wouldn't be as this case is remarkably open-and-shut

Ah, shoot. I still forgot to phrase it in the form of a question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The original question was: in addition to MMI, do they have any traditional interview component where you get asked standard interview questions, e.g. why albany, why medicine? So clearly there were prompts he answered that wouldn't be there by answering "just MMI". Also the website only says MMI format, which yes does omit a traditional interview format but not "standard interview questions". That's a big difference, format vs type of questions. And the Mars example? way off topic. Just my 2 cents.

Lol NDA doesn't include interview type. That's public information. Have you ever been to an interview where they surprised you with a MMI or traditional interview?

Trolls. Trolls. Wow I can't believe this interview season is coming to an end!

Reactions: 1 users
Is it OK to abbreviate "Albany Medical College" to AMC in the secondaries?

I usually would write it out like this "Albany Medical College (AMC)" then use AMC after that. I think that's the proper thing to do. Is this for next cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted student here... kind of sensitive topic, but coming from California where medical marijuana has been legal for some time and is now legal recreationally, does any one know AMCs position on use? Is there drug testing? (I've used it in the past for medical reasons but am worried it could jeopardize my education if they were to drug test. I want to know if it would be safe to use it in the future or not.)

I do not believe they drug test ;)
I believe most schools will for 3/4th year clinical rotations though!
Spaggettttt! :soexcited:

Would current students recommend having a car on campus or is it pretty easy to get around using public transport?

Just a heads up to be careful asking for something like this open-ended. Someone could steal your essays

That's probably why they limited their question's audience to accepted and current AMC students.

Would any accepted students or current students mind taking a look at my pre-written secondary?
That being said: I'll do it.

That's probably why they limited their question's audience to accepted and current AMC students.

That being said: I'll do it.

My point was that it's difficult on an anonymous website to know who's actually an accepted student or not, just to be careful. I am aware of why they limited the audience.

I thought I destroyed my interview and today I was just placed on the waitlist. I'm really starting to lose hope on this cycle.

I thought I destroyed my interview and today I was just placed on the waitlist. I'm really starting to lose hope on this cycle.
Still a significant amount of movement left at a bunch of schools including Albany. You may have killed your interview and gotten yourself in a position where you get in when Albany just moves down that overal score threshold required for an acceptance. Definitely frustrating at this time but there is still time and movement ahead

Tons of movement to come in April and May, particularly at AMC. Don't lose hope.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to hear that-but I've heard that Albany in particular has a lot of movement!

When did you interview?

I do not believe they drug test ;)
I believe most schools will for 3/4th year clinical rotations though!
Spaggettttt! :soexcited:

In my experience there have definitely been drug tests conducted in the past. However, only in circumstances where there is probable cause, not across the board. Can't have students running around snorting ranch all the time. But hey, what do I know, I'm just trying to write some Super Nintendo Yelp reviews.

In my experience there have definitely been drug tests conducted in the past. However, only in circumstances where there is probable cause, not across the board. Can't have students running around snorting ranch all the time. But hey, what do I know, I'm just trying to write some Super Nintendo Yelp reviews.

635839873583787924-511416244_tumblr_myymy9ydCM1qaqmkyo3_500.gif

Would current students recommend having a car on campus or is it pretty easy to get around using public transport?

We have free access to the CDTA (public transport) buses with our student IDs so that's good, and most students live within walking distance of the school. For actually getting to and from school, you don't need a car (I have one and I hardly use it for that), but for things like grocery shopping and other endeavors, it's definitely useful to have one. All of the decent grocery stores and etc. are pretty much in Colonie, which is like 10-20 min drive away depending on where you're going. I imagine you could get there by bus, but I've never tried. Quite a few people in my class don't have cars and just go to the store with other people in the class.

Does anyone with a 26-27 MCAT actually get accepted (even off waitlist) to AMC? I've looked thru the past few years and seen a handful of applicants with those MCAT scores be granted interviews but it seems they were either rejected post interview or waitlisted & then rejected. According to the MSAR even the lowest 10th percentile of matriculants have 29 MCATS. Anyone know of anyone with a 26-27 that has been accepted (URM or not)?

Does anyone with a 26-27 MCAT actually get accepted (even off waitlist) to AMC? I've looked thru the past few years and seen a handful of applicants with those MCAT scores be granted interviews but it seems they were either rejected post interview or waitlisted & then rejected. According to the MSAR even the lowest 10th percentile of matriculants have 29 MCATS. Anyone know of anyone with a 26-27 that has been accepted (URM or not)?
As you said, their 10th percentile for accepted students is 29. Obviously, there are people accepted with less than that, and they are probably URM or non-traditional with some really impressive life experience. It's worth a shot applying, but don't expect multiple MD invites with that MCAT. Some of the state MD schools (e.g. Mississippi, WVU, Arkansas, Arizona, New Mexico) have a 10th percentile MCAT of ~25 or even slightly less. Those are your best shot if you're lucky enough to be a state resident in one of those states.

I was aware about May but why would there be lots of movement in April?

I'm assuming there would be cause I'm sure there will be more shuffling as those with multiple acceptances have to drop by April 30th

How important is it to go to Second Look in order to meet future classmates/roommates? I am definitely going to Albany but I am from California so I'm not sure if its worth the money to go just for second look.

How important is it to go to Second Look in order to meet future classmates/roommates? I am definitely going to Albany but I am from California so I'm not sure if its worth the money to go just for second look.

+1

I wouldn't think that it's that important. I'm only going bc it's a two hour drive for me.

Really sorry to hear that. I felt the same exact way and also got waitlisted. It definitely didn't help that all my real life friends were accepted.

Chin up! The wait lists are going to start shuffling in a month or two. And it's not over yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of people on the UC list are offered admission?

The same thing happened to me as well! I thought this was my best interview by far but then I was placed under consideration too.

The same thing happened to me as well! I thought this was my best interview by far but then I was placed under consideration too.
Don't lose hope! I felt the exact same way. Interviewed Feb 3, UC Feb 22, Accepted 3/7. Waiting is horrendous. But distract yourself by doing what makes you happy and know you've done all you can! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

I am not going to second look because of work...I am also from California and am thinking about housing...anyone know if the facebook page is up yet for class of 2021? :)

UC just now, interviewed on 3/17. A bit disappointed because I loved the school but I know there will be a lot of movement so keeping my fingers crossed!

They definitely do a lot of UC before accepting. For our student panel that spoke to us only 1 of the 7 of them got in immediately. Everyone else came off the UC list at some point. I interviewed 1/6, UC 1/19, Accept 3/7 so def keep your head up. I felt like mine went well and was disheartened initially and tried to keep my mind off of it and then randomly got an email in the morning with good news!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the dress code for the second look day?

Wow it's been a while since someone posted about getting off the UC list!

does anyone know when they make the alternate list?

Does anyone know the dress code for the second look day?
I was wondering the same thing. I assume for the reception on Sunday its probably formal but then not sure for the following day. Don't even know what the day looks like since they still have not sent out the schedule.