2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All!

I'm the developer in charge of iApply for CWRU. Here are a few quick tips to avoid the most common questions I saw last year:

Emails:
Make sure you add [email protected] to your contacts list. This reduces the odds that an invite or status update will get caught in a spam filter.

Uploading Pictures:
iApply takes JPEG and PNG images, which should cover the vast majority of images you have or take. If you have a PDF image, please convert it to JPG or PNG first using an image editor. Photos are limited by size to 100kb, which is enough for a good portrait picture. The easiest way to get a photo under 100kb is to rescale a picture to something around 300x300 pixels. Most cell phones now are taking photos in the 5-8MP range, and some dont have a built-in program to rescale images, but desktop and laptop computers do.

On Windows, you can use Paint to resize your image. Open the picture in Paint, then click Image, then Stretch/Skew. You'll see Horizontal and Vertical percentage numbers. If you make those something around 20 instead of 100, and then Save As, you should get a resulting image very close to 100kb.

On Max OS X, open the picture in Preview, then click Tools, then Adjust Size. Choose Percent from the pop-up menu next to Width and Height, and set both values to around 20%. Save (or Save As) the picture and you should have an image within the file size limits.

If you have any technical issues, you should email [email protected] for help. We read the posts in this thread, but we don't answer private messages on SDN. Emails will get your issue resolved faster than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question -- what picture we will need to upload? Also, I had my primary processed on 6/10, do you have any idea what the timeline is like for receiving secondary apps?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question -- what picture we will need to upload? Also, I had my primary processed on 6/10, do you have any idea what the timeline is like for receiving secondary apps?
Thanks!
Many schools will ask you to upload a headshot for interview purposes. Keep it clean, profesh, and the right resolution and you should be good to go. At the earliest, secondaries aren't going to come out until AMCAS transmission begins... take it easy!

Many schools will ask you to upload a headshot for interview purposes. Keep it clean, profesh, and the right resolution and you should be good to go. At the earliest, secondaries aren't going to come out until AMCAS transmission begins... take it easy!
Thanks! btw, Can I substitute a pic of a pug squeezing through a donut for my headshot??

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! btw, Can I substitute a pic of a pug squeezing through a donut for my headshot??
If that's how you strongly identify I'm sure adcoms would be intrigued on interview day ;)

For the research description secondary essay, are people picking their favorite/most meaningful research experience or are they trying to write a bit about all experiences? I have a lot of research but the only experience I am really especially passionate about is my masters thesis.

For the research description secondary essay, are people picking their favorite/most meaningful research experience or are they trying to write a bit about all experiences? I have a lot of research but the only experience I am really especially passionate about is my masters thesis.
Would you mind posting the prompts and the character/word limits? Thanks!

Have secondaries been sent out for anyone yet?

Was verified in early June (w/ MCAT scores and LORs) and I haven't received one yet.

We have started sending out secondary application invites this morning.

In the past, we have found that limiting the number of invites sent per day cuts down on how many of them are caught by spam filters. Everyone that applies to CWRU will get a secondary invite. Make sure you've put [email protected] on your contacts or whitelist in your email to help ensure it doesn't end up in your spam folder.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have started sending out secondary application invites this morning.

In the past, we have found that limiting the number of invites sent per day cuts down on how many of them are caught by spam filters. Everyone that applies to CWRU will get a secondary invite. Make sure you've put [email protected] on your contacts or whitelist in your email to help ensure it doesn't end up in your spam folder.
Thanks for the heads up!

For the University Track:

1. The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result. (3500 char)

2. One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or in another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that the definition of research is broadly-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis, and can include both medically and non-medically-related investigations. OPTIONAL 3500 char

3. If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it? (300 - 1000 char)

4. Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program. OPTIONAL

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

1. The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result. (3500 char)

2. One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or in another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that the definition of research is broadly-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis, and can include both medically and non-medically-related investigations. OPTIONAL 3500 char

3. If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it? (300 - 1000 char)

4. Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program. OPTIONAL

@WedgeDawg @Ismet
For prompt #1, would talking about a work situation be considered a personal challenge if I grew from it?

Anyone else that hasn't gotten a secondary yet? It's Sunday and some of you got them on Wednesday, starting to wonder.

[edit: Just kidding, saw the post above. Nothing to worry about.]

Anyone else that hasn't gotten a secondary yet? It's Sunday and some of you got them on Wednesday, starting to wonder.

[edit: Just kidding, saw the post above. Nothing to worry about.]
I just got mine this morning (verified 6/15), so maybe your's is coming

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Got mine this morning too. 7:04 am Mountain Time

This is super specific, but does anyone know if a science faculty in biopsych would count for the science faculty requirement..? Bio and neuroscience are accepted but psych isn't...

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

What's the difference between University Track, College Track and University Program?
And last year there were more questions (under College Track prompts), is it only these four questions this year?

Last edited:
What's the difference between University Track, College Track and University Program?
And last year there were more questions (under College Track prompts), is it only these four questions this year?

University track/program = 4-year regular MD at Case Western Reserve University
College track/program = 5-year MD + research qualification at Cleveland Clinic Lerner School of Medicine

The college track has several more prompts associated with it. To see them or get more info about the difference between college and university tracks, see the Lerner thread.

Is anyone doing the optional essay as a "why case western?" Or just leaving it blank?

Would someone be able to post the college track prompts?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...and-clinic-lerner-application-thread.1196719/

Second post has prompts for Lerner.

"5. Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

6. Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do? (500-1000 char)

7. How do you see your career ten years from now? (500-1000 char)

8. When were you challenged to teach, coach, or mentor others to learn a new skill or improve an old one? Please describe how it went and what you learned from the experience. (500-1000 char)

9. If you took a gap year, please describe how you spent that time. Please limit your response to 500 characters, and leave blank lines between paragraphs (500 char)"

Does anyone know if Case takes updates pre-II? I didn't see info about this on their website or in the secondary.

For the part that asks about family member associations, do you think it would be okay to use my family member who did a General Practice Residency at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Cleveland? This particular family member told me that it was tied to Case Western when he was there, but the hospital has since then closed and I haven't found much information linking the two online. I called the admissions office to ask this but wasn't able to get a hold of anyone.

Although Mt Sinai was affiliated with Case, I'd note the affiliation but make sure to specify that Mt Sinai was the hospital system. Not an adcom, but I don't think they'd punish you for being very inclusive with affiliations, esp with the number of players in Cleveland's healthcare industry

As a heads up, their Twitter account says to contact them by email this week, not phone, because the admissions and financial aid staff are working off-campus due to the RNC.

Last edited:
Submitted! That was a tough one.

Huge props to CWR for not making us pay an extra fee for applying to both tracks.

For people who have done multiple research projects, which one did you talk about for question #2? I've done multiple projects (a couple internships, 2 from the lab I was part of for 3 years, and a senior project), and I'm not sure which one to talk about. Are we supposed to talk about the most recent one, the most important one to us, or what?

Still haven't received my secondary. Any idea if they're supposed to be all sent yet?

I just picked 1. I've been at the same lab, but one is in progress while the other project was completed and published, so I felt more comfortable discussing it in detail

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have 4 research experiences (2 labs, clinical trials job, epidemiology project). I wrote a short paragraph about each of them. I found that a paragraph was plenty of space to write what I was doing, why I was interested in it, and what I learned.

Still haven't received my secondary. Any idea if they're supposed to be all sent yet?

If your primary application has been processed and sent along to us, you should have gotten an invite. Did you check your spam folder for emails from iapply {at} case.edu? Have you searched your inbox for emails from iapply {at} case.edu? If you are certain that AMCAS has completely processed your application and that you should have received a secondary, you can email iapplysupport {at } case.edu and we'll resend an invite (or confirm we haven't received your info yet).

Does anyone know if Case takes updates pre-II? I didn't see info about this on their website or in the secondary.
We do not take updates pre-II. This is question #9 in our FAQ:
9. Can I send updates to my application?
Updates are only accepted from applicants in the categories listed below. If you application is placed into one of these categories the ability to upload updates to your application will become available on the Status Page.
  • Invited for an Interview
  • On Hold for a Future Interview
  • On Hold after Interview
  • Alternate List

@CWRU_iApply_Dev I really like your system. Very clear, very easy to navigate, accepted my copy and pasting without issues. You probably mostly get complaints, so just thought I'd let you know I had a good experience.

Reactions: 1 users
If your primary application has been processed and sent along to us, you should have gotten an invite. Did you check your spam folder for emails from iapply {at} case.edu? Have you searched your inbox for emails from iapply {at} case.edu? If you are certain that AMCAS has completely processed your application and that you should have received a secondary, you can email iapplysupport {at } case.edu and we'll resend an invite (or confirm we haven't received your info yet).

We do not take updates pre-II. This is question #9 in our FAQ:
9. Can I send updates to my application?
Updates are only accepted from applicants in the categories listed below. If you application is placed into one of these categories the ability to upload updates to your application will become available on the Status Page.
  • Invited for an Interview
  • On Hold for a Future Interview
  • On Hold after Interview
  • Alternate List

No I don't see it in any of my inboxes. I emailed them. Thank you.

Any other with secondaries? Still silence over here.

Although Mt Sinai was affiliated with Case, I'd note the affiliation but make sure to specify that Mt Sinai was the hospital system. Not an adcom, but I don't think they'd punish you for being very inclusive with affiliations, esp with the number of players in Cleveland's healthcare industry

As a heads up, their Twitter account says to contact them by email this week, not phone, because the admissions and financial aid staff are working off-campus due to the RNC.

Thanks!

For those of you who didn't take a gap year, are you going to simply state that you haven't taken one? I was under the impression that we only had to answer that question if we had taken a gap year; however, the application doesn't allow you to leave it blank so I'm not really sure of what to even write.

II just now! Completed on 7/6.
3.96/520

(edit: FWIW, I'm OOS, ORM, traditional app)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users