2016-2017 Charles Drew/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
· Have you experienced any uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· If you are currently not a full time student, please list and describe your current activities. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Describe the role you play in your immediate family.
(Response limited to 800 characters)

· Describe your community and socioeconomic environment.

· List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R Drew University. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Please provide any additional information which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· How did you hear about our program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of my top choices! Has anyone received a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I've tried getting a primary from here by calling the number they list on their website. I've left 2 messages and I haven't received a call back. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Hi everyone, I've tried getting a primary from here by calling the number they list on their website. I've left 2 messages and I haven't received a call back. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Secondary you mean? I called twice as well left vmail too. Not just you

Last edited:
Secondary you mean? I called twice as well left vmail too. Not just you
Son of a... I was looking for them in "University", "Charles", and "Drew" on AMCAS. I didn't expect them to be under UCLA...

Well there's 2 voicemails I'll never be able to take back.

Good to know it's not just me hearing a lot of silence. I wonder what's going on at Drew?

Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg @Ismet

· Have you experienced any uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· If you are currently not a full time student, please list and describe your current activities. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Describe the role you play in your immediate family.

· Describe your community and socioeconomic environment.

· List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (Response limited to 800 characters)

DATES

ACTIVITY

HOURS / WEEK

(this part^ is in a table, picture attached)

· Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R Drew University. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· Please provide any additional information which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (Response limited to 800 characters)

· How did you hear about our program?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 2.25.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 2.25.11 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: 1 user
  • Anyone know what to include for the "List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities..." question? I ask because it says there is an 800 character limit but I'm wondering if we are supposed to include a description of the activity or just the title?
  • Also, does anyone know how many letters of recommendation is the maximum they'll accept? I found here that they want at least 3 letters but it doesn't say anything about a max. Thanks for your input and help!! @f4reignbeauty

Still no secondary :( is there any hope for us?

I just got mine today and I was verified on 7/5, so I've definitely been stressing out too haha. I hope everyone else waiting gets theirs soon/got theirs already!

Does anyone know how stringent their photo requirements are? Their secondary application says professional, not sure if this rules out pics of yourself taken from computer. The pic I have at hand is just a headshot, wearing appropriate blouse and plain background.

^For those who had the same question, I emailed the admissions rep and they said a self-taken headshot of yourself would be fine.

anyone know how many secondaries they send out? or how the screen is

Secondary received today. Very surprised since my app was verified like 6 days ago. Didn't think I would get it so fast, but so excited. Love this program.

What type of file did you all submit your secondary as? I'm not sure of whether to leave it a Word doc or if they would be ok if it's in PDF form.

What type of file did you all submit your secondary as? I'm not sure of whether to leave it a Word doc or if they would be ok if it's in PDF form.
I do pdf since it's all just right there on the page with no possible errors in formatting

Last edited:
guess I won't be getting a secondary from Drew :(

For anyone who received a secondary, whats your LizzyM and are you an instate applicant?

For anyone who received a secondary, whats your LizzyM and are you an instate applicant?
Secondary received on Tuesday. I'm OOS, Lizzy M: 70
But honestly, I think they care more about your personal statement and working with the underserved

Is it too late to add this school?
I don't think so. I was verified last week and added all my schools then. I received the secondary this week. If you love the program, you should definitely apply.

I don't think so. I was verified last week and added all my schools then. I received the secondary this week. If you love the program, you should definitely apply.
Thank you so much. I did and I have been verified since june or so. Hopefully get secondary next week. They pre-screen for secondary?

Has anyone received a confirmation/complete email or anything like that to show that they have received your secondary?

OOS (Texas) URM AA LizzyM 59 Ran out of money so I didnt return the secondary (received it days ago) Will send today.

• Anyone know what to include for the "List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities..." question? I ask because it says there is an 800 character limit but I'm wondering if we are supposed to include a description of the activity or just the title?
  • Also, does anyone know how many letters of recommendation is the maximum they'll accept? I found here that they want at least 3 letters but it doesn't say anything about a max. Thanks for your input and help!! @f4reignbeauty

Just now seeing this message! I am so sorry! How many letters were you thinking of submitting? Feel free to message me if you'd like. :)

Secondary received on Tuesday. I'm OOS, Lizzy M: 70
But honestly, I think they care more about your personal statement and working with the underserved
Damn I have the same score, When did you submit? Are you URM?
Yeah I did a lot of work with the underserved, but no bite yet so I'm concerned :\ I did add the school a week ago, so they might be reviewing, how long do they take to screen?

Yeah I did a lot of work with the underserved, but no bite yet so I'm concerned :\ I did add the school a week ago, so they might be reviewing, how long do they take to screen?
Just for reference... I was AMCAS verified 8/16, secondary received 8/23, and completed secondary 8/27/16 (yesterday). My numbers are faaarrrrr below yours so I think you may be ok.

Also, does anyone know if it's too late in the cycle to apply for UCLA PRIME? I just really learned about this and want to put my bid in. Do they screen for PRIME like they do for Drew? I would assume so.

I was verified 8/16. secondary received 8/23. I am URM AA. You'll probably get yours by the end of this week. Plus, I wouldn't say I have lots of experience with the underserved. I think I have more of a moderate amount. But it is also about how you convey your experiences on paper. So keep that in mind for the secondary.

been verified since 8/20, anyone know how long it takes to get a secondary? i've received secondaries from UCR and UCSD

Submitted 8/27/2016. Now its time to pray for some magic to happen.

Submitted 8/25 and received II via phone 8/29!!

Interviews are conducted one Saturday each month.

Fortunate to receive an interview (1st and only) from CDU and just want to give some hopefully helpful info.

AMCAS submitted late June
Secondary received early Aug 2016
Secondary completed and emailed 3 days later
interview granted Early September (earliest interview day I think is Sept 24th on Saturday - which all interviews fall on)

all my MCAT stats
502/60% april 2016
496/39% feb 2016
23/40% 2014

undergrad total gpa stats (2010-14) from AMCAS - BCPM was lower than total every year
fresh: 3.1
soph: 3.16
jun: 3.2
sen: 3.6
Master's(2016): 3.2

ECs: 4 volunteer activities, 1 was 2 years long while other 3 were short term.

other info
IN state applicant
AFrican/mexican american
1st time applying to any med schools
1 letter packet + 1 instructor from MS program for LOR

GOODLUCK EVERYONE! like a typical premed i was freaking out and felt pessimistic about my chances. your stats say one story but you can say another which is important for many schools. Yes we all have weaknesses in our apps, but we all have strengths too which schools value!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
You are AMAZING

Fortunate to receive an interview (1st and only) from CDU and just want to give some hopefully helpful info.

AMCAS submitted late June
Secondary received Aug. 8th 2016
Secondary completed and emailed Aug 11th
interview granted Aug 31 (earliest interview day I think is Sept 24th on Saturday - which all interviews fall on)

all my MCAT stats
502/60% april 2016 -lowest sect. 123 CARS
496/39% feb 2016 - lowest sect. 121 CARS
23/40% july 2014 - lowest sect. 7 Physical

*increase due to enrolling in 1 year MS program for premeds which was heavy on biochem, physiology, biology material. Took Princeton Review

undergrad total gpa stats (2010-14) from AMCAS - BCPM was lower than total every year
fresh: 3.11
soph: 3.16
jun: 3.22
sen: 3.64
Master's(2016): 3.19

ECs: 4 volunteer activities, 1 was 2 years long while other 3 were short term. 2+ years as EMT. Shadowed 3 doctors. Had a few clubs from undergrad as well

Secondary: what the heck did i talk about that might be useful?
Continued volunteering activities after AMCAS submitted. How my MS degree prepared me for tough courses. Size and diversity of town I'm living in. Sense of altruism rooted in religious faith. The question about health care access issues the underserved face ?- I asked people and youtubed ACA and stuff. Mentioned what i learned from a physician shadowing experience. My motivation for med school. Share unique things you can offer the school.

This was a lengthy secondary but i think THE KEY is to elaborate on the essay questions and even go over the word count a little which i did a couple times. For example, for current activities, I mention research and volunteering and why they matter to me instead of just listing them. So spend some extra time on it like I did if you can.

other info
IN state applicant
AFrican/mexican american
1st time applying to any med schools
1 letter packet + 1 instructor from MS program for LOR

GOODLUCK EVERYONE! like a typical premed i was freaking out and felt pessimistic about my chances. your stats say one story but you can say another which is important for many schools. Yes we all have weaknesses in our apps, but we all have strengths too which schools value!