2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2,000 characters each:
Briefly describe your exposure to medicine

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.
 
Last edited:
The website talks very briefly about "an emphasis on preparation of physicians for residency training in the primary care disciplines," can anyone confirm/add to that?
 
Can a current medical student tell me how community service or volunteer work in the community is at EVMS? What opportunities are available? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ I would like to know this as well. Also, are they big on serving the underserved or community engagement?
 
The website talks very briefly about "an emphasis on preparation of physicians for residency training in the primary care disciplines," can anyone confirm/add to that?
Most, if not all med schools, will have an emphasis on training primary care physicians but that doesn't mean that they turn away candidates who are interested in pursuing specialties. There's just a great need for primary care doctors so it is a goal to be able to train up doctors who can help alleviate this shortage. EVMS was also founded by the community and for the community--the surrounding area residents recognized that the doctor : patient ratio was pretty low so they wanted a med school that could provide more doctors for the area.

Can a current medical student tell me how community service or volunteer work in the community is at EVMS? What opportunities are available? Thanks!
^ I would like to know this as well. Also, are they big on serving the underserved or community engagement?

I will be an M1 this fall and I can tell you that EVMS' vision is to be recognized as the #1 community-service-oriented med school in the US so they are VERY BIG on community service and outreach to underserved populations. We have our first mandatory community service project at a local school the weekend following orientation/first week of classes, and there are outreach events throughout the year. Here is a list of the clubs offered--I'm not sure how updated it is but you can see that most clubs have a community outreach aspect to it: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/student_affairs/clubs.pdf

Hope this helps! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Most, if not all med schools, will have an emphasis on training primary care physicians but that doesn't mean that they turn away candidates who are interested in pursuing specialties. There's just a great need for primary care doctors so it is a goal to be able to train up doctors who can help alleviate this shortage. EVMS was also founded by the community and for the community--the surrounding area residents recognized that the doctor😛atient ratio was pretty low so they wanted a med school that could provide more doctors for the area.




I will be an M1 this fall and I can tell you that EVMS' vision is to be recognized as the #1 community-service-oriented med school in the US so they are VERY BIG on community service and outreach to underserved populations. We have our first mandatory community service project at a local school the weekend following orientation/first week of classes, and there are outreach events throughout the year. Here is a list of the clubs offered--I'm not sure how updated it is but you can see that most clubs have a community outreach aspect to it: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/student_affairs/clubs.pdf

Hope this helps! 🙂
Thanks for the reply! It does help! What is the community that EVMS serve? What is the demography of the surrounding region? Any focus group that they serve?
 
Thanks for the reply! It does help! What is the community that EVMS serve? What is the demography of the surrounding region? Any focus group that they serve?
EVMS serves a wide range of communities so there isn't really a specific "focus" on who they serve--I am from out of state so I haven't been exposed to the surrounding area much, but I do know that there are low income/underserved populations in the immediate area, there's a Medical Spanish course you can take and then reach out to Hispanic communities, there are also a lot of elderly/retired folks living nearby, there are opportunities to reach out to hospital patients (big buddy/small buddy programs), etc. Norfolk is also a naval base so there's a naval/military hospital right across the river.
 
Remember OOS they could accept instate with a lower MCAT score. I am not sure its correct information but it could be correct numerically.
Last year a 508 was their 75% percentile for applicants. Applicants were 5:1 OOS:IS so I'm guessing their cuttoff isnt actually a 30 (about a 508).
 
Their websites average of a 30 is outdated. With current trends, there is no way their average GPA is 3.44 and MCAT of 30. Contact admissions to verify for yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just called admissions. I can confirm what @Big&Juicy said is correct.

For OOS screen: minimums of 3.45 sGPA and 508/509 MCAT

...phew, just made the cut :clap:

This was not clear on their website. Ridiculous. Just wasted money applying to this school on the primary application. Sometimes I really feel like these schools want to eat our money and don't care about what kind of person we really are.
 
Wow, I'm disappointed. A screen this strict should be published on MSAR/their website imo. I just wish I knew this before so I could've designated a different school with the limited funds I have.
 
I'm OOS 508 3.88, is the screen at 508 or 509? Will I even receive a secondary?

I doubt the screen is that strict. after all, med schools want all they money they can get from secondaries ha. That's why most don't even screen at all. If you're dumb enough to apply with a 490 and pay the fee for the secondary submission, that's easy money for them.
 
I'm in the same boat. I applied here because I have a really community service heavy application which I thought they would favor even with my 3.5 GPA and a 507 MCAT. Total BS that they screen that high and don't clearly state it on their website.

Even my pre-med advisor told me to apply here and she usually knows her stuff.

Exactly. I was told by my pre-med advisor as well. I am heavy on community service as well, just did not do as well I wanted on the MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, my first call to an admissions office and it was.. exhilarating. Like @Thoroughbred_Med said, they are screening OOS with a 508/509 MCAT. I specifically asked about a 508 and she said it was okay; they've been screening at a 30 and the new test puts a 508 at 29.5ish.
 
Screening at a 30 (508) for a secondary is ridiculous. There are plenty of applicants in the 28-29 range (504-507 new MCAT) that have really solid applications. I can understand not giving someone an interview with that score, but screening for a secondary that high? Come on now

They only screen OOS applicants with that score, and most public medical schools have higher standards for their OOS applicants. They're just not as blunt about those standards.
 
Wanted to give you guys an early warning. School just has to maintain a certain standard on its MCAT average.
 
That's a ridiculous secondary screen. Would've been nice to know since my sGPA is sub 3.45. Not exactly an assumption one would make with a 10th% of 3.14. Quite the holistic approach they have going.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They really screen at 508? I'm hesitant to apply now since my scores barely above that. Mayo screens at 508, this seems a bit extreme for EVMS
 
Hi everyone,
Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS
 
Hi everyone,
Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS
do you know if this is for ugrad bcpm or grad bcpm as well for those who have a graduate degree?