2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't really mean to ignore it, sorry if it looked that way. I was saying that there is no linear fashion to the process and either way, it can occur for an interview or not :) I am all good here. Thanks for all of your insight again, I have been following it.

No worries, I'm really just trying to calm you guys down. Some of you will be at that status for months before you get an II. Stay strong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No worries, I'm really just trying to calm you guys down. Some of you will be at that status for months before you get an II. Stay strong.

Staying strong til the end aka when the Rejection comes, so until then, there is hope! Thanks again!

I don't know why you people keep ignoring what I've said before. "Preliminary Review Completed" =/= Rejection. I had that status for months before my interview before I was interviewed and accepted.

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow, there's a 70% chance I'll be at your lunch answering questions.

I would like to clarify. Mine does say "Secondary Application Completed". That is the SAME thing it said they day I turned it in, when it was LATE June. I just think that there have been a few thousand apps reviewed after me and I have yet to even come off the application completed status. That's a bit unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to clarify. Mine does say "Secondary Application Completed". That is the SAME thing it said they day I turned it in, when it was LATE June. I just think that there have been a few thousand apps reviewed after me and I have yet to even come off the application completed status. That's a bit unusual.

I am in the same boat

Just fyi I checked my application status on a friday and it was "secondary application complete" then monday morning I received an II. So I'm not sure if everyone's application status is that heavily regulated.

Reactions: 5 users
Just fyi I checked my application status on a friday and it was "secondary application complete" then monday morning I received an II. So I'm not sure if everyone's application status is that heavily regulated.
That is good to hear! Congrats! When were you complete?

That is good to hear! Congrats! When were you complete?
Oh I realized that I made it sound like that was this past morning I'm sorry. I was complete mid September and got the II first week of October.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know why you people keep ignoring what I've said before. "Preliminary Review Completed" =/= Rejection. I had that status for months before my interview before I was interviewed and accepted.

^^^This is true. I had my secondary application complete by 7/23 and received the preliminary review complete status on 8/15. On 11/4, I received a call letting me know I had been invited for an interview on 11/7.

Don't lose hope yet, folks - they interview all the way into March!

Good luck!

Dang sir or madam, you have a pic of Kevin Levrone. I find that quite interesting. He is an uncrowned bodybuilding champion. By the way, I submitted my app to FIU a week ago and my stats are similar to yours, 507 MCAT and 3.83 gpa. Hoping for some love from this school, since I live in South Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang sir or madam, you have a pic of Kevin Levrone. I find that quite interesting. He is an uncrowned bodybuilding champion. By the way, I submitted my app to FIU a week ago and my stats are similar to yours, 507 MCAT and 3.83 gpa. Hoping for some love from this school, since I live in South Florida.
ya check out my username haha. he's my fav BB'er. i copied his '02 mr O (whos got my back) routine during my first show. amazing.

good luck man. :). hope you get an II and accepted, the more levrone fans the better

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets this month?

OMG II! FIU ALUMNI HERE AND THIS IS MY TOP CHOICE!! They called me and offered a spot for this Monday. Any students or interviewees from here willing to offer advice?! I would really appreciate it! PM if you prefer. THANKS IN ADVANCED!!

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
OMG II! FIU ALUMNI HERE AND THIS IS MY TOP CHOICE!! They called me and offered a spot for this Monday. Any students or interviewees from here willing to offer advice?! I would really appreciate it! PM if you prefer. THANKS IN ADVANCED!!

:D

Interviews should be relaxed. Have a good response for why FIU, why medicine, etc. Keep in mind that the interview typically doesn't help you much. The interview really only hurts you if you do something wrong or act overly nervous. Most of your candidacy for admission is done before you even step foot on campus for the interview day.

Last edited:
Interviews should be relaxed. Have a good response for why FIU, why medicine, etc. Keep in mind that the interview typically doesn't help you much. The interview really only hurts you if you do something wrong or act overly nervous. Most of your candidacy for admission is done before you even step foot on campus for the interview day.

Not gonna lie, I was kind of expecting this and because of my stats. I feel like I'm probably interviewing for a WL position at best. From what I gather, FIU has a big emphasis on community outreach and having a lot of that in my application has to be the reason that they are giving me a chance. All I can do is prepare the best I can and pray pray pray!

Can anyone comment on the specifics of the interview? Like is it 1 v 1 or 2 v 1? How long? How many interviews? Do I need to prepare for MMI questions? Etc.

Can anyone comment on the specifics of the interview? Like is it 1 v 1 or 2 v 1? How long? How many interviews? Do I need to prepare for MMI questions? Etc.
1 on 1 interview. You will have two interviews 30 min each. 15 min break in between interviews. None of the interviewers know your GPA or MCAT. As I said before, interviews should be relaxed and conversational. Don't expect anything crazy.

Does anyone that interviewed 10/17 know if we're supposed to hear back tomorrow?

Does anyone that interviewed 10/17 know if we're supposed to hear back tomorrow?

They said the week of the 21st. It looks like previous interviews groups this cycle heard back on a Wednesday

Admissions Committee Review Completed ahhh :eek:

Just got accepted via phone call!!

Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted yesterday as well! Still can't believe it, interview on 10/17

Accepted yesterday via phone call as well! Dreams do come true! Interviewed Oct 14

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone made a facebook group for those who will be attending?

was wondering the same thing

I think administration or an upperclassman will make the page for you, not 100% sure but I though that's how mine was made.

Has anyone gotten the official acceptance packet yet?

II! Going to be there on Monday. If you see a tall guy sweating his life away because hes not used to Miami weather anymore, its me!

I'll be at your lunches tomorrow for any questions you have. Good luck to any interviewees tomorrow.

II!!!!

Edit: I never had a change in status so I was pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II just now!!!!
Complete late July, IS.
Edit since I know some will wonder:
"Preliminary Review Complete" Status since Mid August.

Congrats to the II's. It will be an enjoyable time but please, please, PLEASE, do some prep before arriving on interview day.

Congrats to the II's. It will be an enjoyable time but please, please, PLEASE, do some prep before arriving on interview day.

What type of prep? Just the normal research of the school and program?