2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They could have at least gave some idea.

Sent from my iPhone
You'd think, wouldn't you? After that it was a very generic, "Acceptances are sent on the 15th of the month October through March, and as-needed thereafter..."

Members don't see this ad.

You'd think, wouldn't you? After that it was a very generic, "Acceptances are sent on the 15th of the month October through March, and as-needed thereafter..."

So, if they were on break last week, what does this mean?

Sent from my iPhone

So, if they were on break last week, what does this mean?

Sent from my iPhone
Well they sent out a round of acceptances the week before, so unless they've decided to meet multiple times this month like someone suggested earlier, I think it means the regular acceptances are over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they sent out a round of acceptances the week before, so unless they've decided to meet multiple times this month like someone suggested earlier, I think it means the regular acceptances are over.

I guess that's it for me then. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone

I guess that's it for me then. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone
Not necessarily! There will be a few more acceptances as people withdrawal, and then there's always the wait list. So I'm still cautiously optimistic.

So did they not meet last week even though the office was open? Bc I had been in contact with a couple of people in from the office last week. I didn't know they were on break.

I guess that's it for me too :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Received the letter of acceptance in the mail last week... anyone know about how long it will take for this change to reflect in the portal? I don't have IU Network Credentials, so I can only log in using my AMCAS number. In addition, how long will it take to receive more information regarding campus preferences? I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find any in my search through a whole 2 pages.

Received the letter of acceptance in the mail last week... anyone know about how long it will take for this change to reflect in the portal? I don't have IU Network Credentials, so I can only log in using my AMCAS number. In addition, how long will it take to receive more information regarding campus preferences? I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find any in my search through a whole 2 pages.
based on other posts best guess would be this Wednesday or thereabouts for the IUSM portal update

Reactions: 1 user
To those who have been accepted, have you received the second look invitation? The email sounds like they only send it to some people, "Due to limited seating and space constraints the program is only open to a students who receive an invitation".
I have not, accepted in January if that makes a difference?

No update to my portal yet but got my letter in the mail yesterday (I live very far away from Indy)

No update to my portal yet but got my letter in the mail yesterday (I live very far away from Indy)

Would you mind telling me when you interviewed and which campus? Thank you :)

Just received the acceptance letter last Friday (3/17). Anyone know how long it usually takes to change from 'Under Consideration' to 'Accepted?'

I think we can rank campuses as soon as it changes, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance letter last Friday (3/17). Anyone know how long it usually takes to change from 'Under Consideration' to 'Accepted?'

same question asked and answered on the prior page - portals usually updated around the 22nd

The portal updates the Wednesday after receiving your acceptance letter (at least from my experience). Once it does, you have to make a new IU account if you've never been associated with the school. My account took about 8 days to activate, after which you'll be able to rank campuses.

... there's a much more efficient, less expensive-nerve-racking-for-applicants way to do this whole process. Indiana is closer than most by not calling for secondaries unless you will be interviewed. Good luck and congrats to all who've run the course. Can't say it's been a pleasure--except for the folks who post and persevere. Best to you--all.

... there's a much more efficient, less expensive-nerve-racking-for-applicants way to do this whole process. Indiana is closer than most by not calling for secondaries unless you will be interviewed. Good luck and congrats to all who've run the course. Can't say it's been a pleasure--except for the folks who post and persevere. Best to you--all.
Shootttt. I almost forgot I applied to Indiana until I got the interview. How I like it lol

Would you mind telling me when you interviewed and which campus? Thank you :)
I think mid January at the Indianapolis campus. I had 1 interview with 2 interviewers and it was all pretty chill.

I need advice ASAP. My undergrad university sent my dean eval by email and I was unaware so I just kept checking my portal to see if it was still missing . 2 weeks before the deadline , I called my undergrad and they informed me it was sent by email , I told them I needed it by mail and they said I have to supply them with a stamped envelope (so I immediately mailed one bc I'm out of state ) they received it and mailed back but probably 1-2 days before it could reach Indiana , IUSM withdrew my application! I emailed and the secretary basically said we aren't deactivating it. IDK what to do?! ANY ADVICE ?

I need advice ASAP. My undergrad university sent my dean eval by email and I was unaware so I just kept checking my portal to see if it was still missing . 2 weeks before the deadline , I called my undergrad and they informed me it was sent by email , I told them I needed it by mail and they said I have to supply them with a stamped envelope (so I immediately mailed one bc I'm out of state ) they received it and mailed back but probably 1-2 days before it could reach Indiana , IUSM withdrew my application! I emailed and the secretary basically said we aren't deactivating it. IDK what to do?! ANY ADVICE ?

Everything else was complete. I interviewed the last day they had interviews , so it isn't like I've had all cycle to do this , just a few weeks. I'm disappointed and don't know what to do .

Sorry she said we aren't RE-activating it***

can't advise--as i have no greater insight into all of this than you--but i would try to get to the head of Admissions any way i could. Email. Calls. Federal Express special delivery... as in-charge a person as i could recognize--would be the one i would put full focus on getting the attention of... good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 to what oxbro said, I would request to speak with the Dean of Admissions. Several years ago, I had my application to IUSM re-activated in March (might have even been April) after sending a formal request to the Dean of Admissions, but that was in response to a mistake they made on my application, so you can only hope they will consider reactivating it when the fault is not on them.

Reactions: 2 users
My portal changed to accepted and I set up my account, but when I try to log into the applicant portal with my IU network ID, it says "we were unable to locate an applicant with the credentials you provided." Did that happen to anyone else? I looked through the thread but couldn't find an answer.

Were we given a passphrase? Or how do we go about setting that up, if not? All I see when I log in via the AAMCAS Credentials is an IU Network ID and passphrase input... but I have no idea what my passphrase is, if I even have one?

+1 to what oxbro said, I would request to speak with the Dean of Admissions. Several years ago, I had my application to IUSM re-activated in March (might have even been April) after sending a formal request to the Dean of Admissions, but that was in response to a mistake they made on my application, so you can only hope they will consider reactivating it when the fault is not on them.
Flower70954 - hodes has been there, done that. i'd take his helpful missive as a real good place to start. good luck...

Some people have called the CAITS help desk for portal log-in problems.

My portal also updated today!

Are there readily available statistics concerning the regional campuses somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. I can't even figure out how many first year students attend each regional campus.

s
Still under consideration. Pretty bummed :/
Yep, trying to stay optimistic but so far this is just a repeat of last year. I'm expecting silence until May, followed by the release of the wait list (which I won't be on), and then a rejection email two weeks later.

Are there readily available statistics concerning the regional campuses somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. I can't even figure out how many first year students attend each regional campus.
Check out this excel link created in part by students. I found it while browsing through the new students webpages. It compares class schedules, campus life, and a lot of other statistics between all regional campuses
General CampusComparison.xlsx

Check out this excel link created in part by students. I found it while browsing through the new students webpages. It compares class schedules, campus life, and a lot of other statistics between all regional campuses
Thank you. I found that a few moments ago as well.

This is my current rank:
Indianapolis
Bloomington
Fort Wayne
South Bend
Northwest
Muncie
West Lafayette
Terre Haute
Evansville

Which is based on student population, city population and personal preference near the end. I think it's pretty well agreed that Indy and Bloomington are the best regional campuses, but which do you think deserve 3rd and 4th? Thanks.

s

Yep, trying to stay optimistic but so far this is just a repeat of last year. I'm expecting silence until May, followed by the release of the wait list (which I won't be on), and then a rejection email two weeks later.

Ugh I'm with you, my friend.
While this is my first time applying to IU, I've applied to my state schools and been on hold both times. I have that feeling at the pit of my stomach that I'm just going to have the same outcome again. :/

What mistake did they make ?

What mistake did they make ?
They were somehow under the impression that I had a criminal record involving possession of drug paraphernalia or something. When they asked "have you ever been arrested" in my interview, and I said no, they thought I was lying. They actually invited me for a second interview in October-ish (the first one was in August), and at the time I had no idea why.

I only found out in March when I was rejected and called the office for feedback and she said the rejection was due to a criminal record and some controversy about my interview. I told them they had made a mistake, they reactivated my application, and I was accepted in April. But meanwhile my GPA had plummeted, and they rescinded my acceptance in June.

This all happened in the 2011-2012 cycle. Still trying to get accepted with that red flag of a declining GPA my last semester of college.

Thank you. I found that a few moments ago as well.

This is my current rank:
Indianapolis
Bloomington
Fort Wayne
South Bend
Northwest
Muncie
West Lafayette
Terre Haute
Evansville

Which is based on student population, city population and personal preference near the end. I think it's pretty well agreed that Indy and Bloomington are the best regional campuses, but which do you think deserve 3rd and 4th? Thanks.

Indy
Bloomington
Lafayette
Fort Wayne
Munice
Evansville
South Bend
Terre Haute
Northwest

Keep in mind this is largely outdated because of the new curriculum.

s

Aw man. Hopefully that's not the case this year! In all my lurking from previous years, I've noticed you were in those threads..so I've been secretly (but now publicly lol) rooting for you! I hope we both get good news!

Reactions: 3 users
Aw man. Hopefully that's not the case this year! In all my lurking from previous years, I've noticed you were in those threads..so I've been secretly (but now publicly lol) rooting for you! I hope we both get good news!
Same here. Been secretly rooting for @hodes through the years. I hope this year brings good tings for you.

Same here. Been secretly rooting for @hodes through the years. I hope this year brings good tings for you.

Thanks guys! :)

My pre-professional advisor told me to call soon and ask for feedback now about the interview or the earliest time when I could get feedback? Do they only do this after a rejection or will they do it now? Or possibly after being put on a wait list?
I just want to be well prepared if I do need to reapply

My list is similar with the exception of South Bend. Is there any specific reason it is so low on your list? I'm not familiar with SB at all, so I'm just genuinely curious about it and can't find any good information about what it's like.
I live pretty close to SB. It's a pretty nice area but not huge by any means. I go there a lot for their huge mall (that also has puppies!) I also live close to IU Northwest and I don't see any problem with it. But I'm very used to the area.

I live pretty close to SB. It's a pretty nice area but not huge by any means. I go there a lot for their huge mall (that also has puppies!) I also live close to IU Northwest and I don't see any problem with it. But I'm very used to the area.
I'm not too familiar with the different campuses either. I feel like that made the ranking harder for me. I wish there was more information available for incoming students

My list is similar with the exception of South Bend. Is there any specific reason it is so low on your list? I'm not familiar with SB at all, so I'm just genuinely curious about it and can't find any good information about what it's like.
I interviewed at SB and wasnt feeling the campus. Just personal preference.

Does anyone know how to withdraw an application post-acceptance? I don't see any option to do so on the applicant portal.

Does anyone know how to withdraw an application post-acceptance? I don't see any option to do so on the applicant portal.
Well... not sure how to say this--the problem with not getting an answer so far may be that most folks on here at this late date are tryin' like hell to get INTO Indiana Med school--or get right on having recently gotten in--so info on getting out? Little harder to come by; it seems. I would suggest calling/emailing them. I also would figure that AAMCAS has info on that--as they have lotta material directing their med school clients on when, how, what to do about dates and things... ... good luck--and good luck to those waiting and hoping to get this good person's spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from out of state going to the second look?

Well... not sure how to say this--the problem with not getting an answer so far may be that most folks on here at this late date are tryin' like hell to get INTO Indiana Med school--or get right on having recently gotten in--so info on getting out? Little harder to come by; it seems. I would suggest calling/emailing them. I also would figure that AAMCAS has info on that--as they have lotta material directing their med school clients on when, how, what to do about dates and things... ... good luck--and good luck to those waiting and hoping to get this good person's spot.

Go on your portal and send them a message with your intentions. They should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go on your portal and send them a message with your intentions. They should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. Best of luck!

Thank you both for your help! I'm sorry if I seemed insensitive--I just didn't know where else to ask for advice. Thanks again and good luck to everyone :).