2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Normally I'd say only apply to an OOS public school unless you have really strong stats or ties to the state. But I got an interview with 3.3 and a 510. But I had a masters and pretty solid ECs I would say. So you never know what will happen.
were you accepted, we have the exact same stats and im OOS to

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today! :happy:
On One.IU portal
IS applicant
Interview invite on 08/11/16
Interviewed 10/05/16
Lizzy M 65.5

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Normally I'd say only apply to an OOS public school unless you have really strong stats or ties to the state. But I got an interview with 3.3 and a 510. But I had a masters and pretty solid ECs I would say. So you never know what will happen.

I'll probably just give it a shot, since everyone on here is saying there is no secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can more of the current IU students speak about your experiences with the new curriculum so far in the year? Your input would really be appreciated!

I'll bite. Indianapolis campus. Overall, I'd definitely take our curriculum over the previous curriculum. Pass/fail is a godsend in a way that I could never have anticipated as an undergrad. We get clinical exposure earlier and have more mentoring opportunities. I really like my classmates and most of my professors. As an MS1, I can't really comment on preparedness for Step yet. A lot of the changes at IU are following trends in medical education in general: pass/fail, more group work, more clinical exposure, etc.

The drawback is the attendance policy, which is very unpopular with the current MS1s. However, a change in that policy is looking likely, as an official recommendation has been made to the head curriculum committee to change lecture attendance to 50% mandatory instead of 100%. They are supposed to discuss this recommendation at their meeting this month. If an official change is made, I'll try to remember to post that info here.

Please remember that this is one student's input, and I can't really comment on regional campuses. I can say that, as an out-of-state student, I have plenty of friends at other medical schools. We all chat about what we like and dislike about our schools. From a student perspective, administrative change can seem slow, but I do feel that our administration does at least respond to and value student input more than I have seen at other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Second Look date invite was for April 7th

I wonder why our decisions were up on the 9th though. I thought the committee always meets on the 15th.
I actually heard that this month they are meeting multiple times. Probably to make sure they review everyone. So maybe we were in one of those earlier meetings. But yeah I still wasn't expecting to hear until the 15th, so when I logged on I was shocked haha

Any OOS looking for a roommate? I'm trying to figure out my living situation sometime soon

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to the one.iu.edu portal and search for "application status," that page should either tell you to check the IUSM portal or will change to say "congratulations, you have been admitted."

I guess I am not able to see that information anyway since it says I have a guest account.

Sent from my iPhone

Accepted on one.iu.edu! IS, interviewed 11/16, LizzyM 68.

I called admissions to confirm, and they said I was still under consideration though? Hopefully they are waiting for everyone to be reviewed before confirming acceptances...

Reactions: 1 user
I actually heard that this month they are meeting multiple times. Probably to make sure they review everyone. So maybe we were in one of those earlier meetings. But yeah I still wasn't expecting to hear until the 15th, so when I logged on I was shocked haha

Yeah, when I interviewed the guy made it sound like the meeting on the 15th each month was a myth. I think they meet closer to the end of each month and send out acceptance letters on the 15th.

Can only current Indiana students check using that portal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would you happen to know if all scholarships have been disbursed yet? Also do you have to apply for them?

I have no idea. I don't believe you apply for the merit scholarships. They are given. As for scholarships in general and financial aid, you have to do your FAFSA (was due March 10th), then you fill out the Financial Aid form on the IUSM website. They decide the amount you can get in June or some time around there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can only current Indiana students check using that portal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I am under the impression that if you are a current Indiana student, or have ever taken classes there, that you can get onto it. Or even if you have applied there before. I have taken summer classes at IUPUI before so that's how I was able to log on (and I applied to IU at the end of high school as well).

I have access to the one.iu.edu portal and I have never applied to IU or have ever taken any sort of classes there so I believe this portal is available for all interviewees. You just have to set up your first account after looking up your university ID and I had one. Iono thoo_O.... anyone else with similar luck?

Last edited:
I have access to the one.iu.edu portal and I have never applied to IU or have ever taken any sort of classes there so I believe this portal is available for all interviewees. You just have to set up your first account after looking up your university ID and I had one. Iono thoo_O.... anyone else with similar luck?

+1

Sent from my iPhone

I just checked and I also have an ID number. Waiting for my account to be created to check my app status.

Just logged on. My application status still says to check the admissions portal for my status. Another month of waiting I guess...

Just logged on. My application status still says to check the admissions portal for my status. Another month of waiting I guess...
Doesn't the admissions committee meet tomorrow?

Hi sorry for the dumb question but which website is it and how do you search for it?

Here's what I did. Hope it works for you:

1. Go to https://caits.iu.edu/ApplicantPortal/Account/CASLogin, type in your login info (left hand side) from the guest account you created when initially filling out the Graduate Online Application (amcas#/DOB loggin stuff may work too).

2. When I typed in one.iu.edu on another browser tab, I was already automatically logged in from step 1.

3. Looked up my university ID and then created my first IU account.

Good luck to you all! Wishing the best :highfive:

Here's what I did. Hope it works for you:

1. Go to https://caits.iu.edu/ApplicantPortal/Account/CASLogin, type in your login info (left hand side) from the guest account you created when initially filling out the Graduate Online Application (amcas#/DOB loggin stuff may work too).

2. When I typed in one.iu.edu on another browser tab, I was already automatically logged in from step 1.

3. Looked up my university ID and then created my first IU account.

Good luck to you all! Wishing the best :highfive:

Has this method always been reliable? I just don't want to check this, see that it says accepted, then later find out this wasn't true. Can anyone who found out their acceptance by checking at one.iu.edu confirm that they also got accepted via mail?

Doesn't the admissions committee meet tomorrow?

I thought so. But there have been several people this last week who saw their status change on the portal. So I would expect that the 15th is just when they send the letters.

Accepted on one.iu.edu! IS, interviewed 11/16, LizzyM 68.

I called admissions to confirm, and they said I was still under consideration though? Hopefully they are waiting for everyone to be reviewed before confirming acceptances...

Has anything else been confirmed for you? Really curious how accurate that portal is.

Has this method always been reliable? I just don't want to check this, see that it says accepted, then later find out this wasn't true. Can anyone who found out their acceptance by checking at one.iu.edu confirm that they also got accepted via mail?

Not sure. My one.iu applicantion status still says to check the IUSM portal so hopefully someone with an acceptance can confirm since I cant at the moment. I just wanted to clarify the fact that all interviewees have access to one.iu.edu :):)

EDIT:..... But it sure does make me feel more anxious to know that I have a university ID # but no acceptance (*cries a little inside* :sorry:) lol... can anyone relate?

Last edited:
Not sure. My one.iu applicantion status still says to check the IUSM portal so hopefully someone with an acceptance can confirm since I cant at the moment. I just wanted to clarify the fact that all interviewees have access to one.iu.edu :):)

EDIT:..... But it sure does make me feel more anxious to know that I have a university ID # but no acceptance (*cries a little inside* :sorry:) lol... can anyone relate?
Mine says the same thing... Maybe they're meeting tomorrow too and we'll hear good news! Fingers crossed! I've been waiting since September!

Has anything else been confirmed for you? Really curious how accurate that portal is.
I haven't heard anything else yet, and the portal still says "Under Consideration." I won't be able to be completely confirmed until they mail out the letters tomorrow.

Edit: Also I think the portal doesn't update for a lot of people until a few days after they receive a letter.

I haven't heard anything else yet, and the portal still says "Under Consideration." I won't be able to be completely confirmed until they mail out the letters tomorrow.

Edit: Also I think the portal doesn't update for a lot of people until a few days after they receive a letter.
I have searched this thread and last year's - I don't see any instances in which the one.IU portal gave a false positive (anyone who saw the congratulations banner was indeed admitted and received a letter shortly thereafter). However that is not to say everyone who has been recently admitted would have their portal updated already, it could be done manually. Someone else posted a page or two back that it is probable they are meeting more than once this month

Reactions: 2 users
Well I went to IUPUI for grad school a few years ago, so I definitely have a one.IU login, but I can't remember what my password is and I don't see a reset option. This is embarrassing...

I guess I'll just wait for a letter and try to distract myself with work.

Well I went to IUPUI for grad school a few years ago, so I definitely have a one.IU login, but I can't remember what my password is and I don't see a reset option. This is embarrassing...

I guess I'll just wait for a letter and try to distract myself with work.
I think IUSM is on break this week; makes sense if there was a meeting last week and given the requirement to have at least a full class in March it could be they will meet again

Try hitting the "trouble logging in?" button on the log-in page.
Ended up just emailing support to figure out my username, and then I reset my password via email. Not accepted yet, but still in the running.

Ended up just emailing support to figure out my username, and then I reset my password via email. Not accepted yet, but still in the running.
+1 It just directs me to check the portal.

+1 It just directs me to check the portal.
It seems like seeing the "Congratulations, you will get a letter soon" banner is valid, one person last year found out he/she got off the wait list at One.IU in June. But does anyone know if NOT seeing the banner for sure means you are still on hold? It could be they just don't update everyone's portal. Anyone accepted who checked One.IU a few days before receiving a letter and didn't see it?

It seems like seeing the "Congratulations, you will get a letter soon" banner is valid, one person last year found out he/she got off the wait list at One.IU in June. But does anyone know if NOT seeing the banner for sure means you are still on hold? It could be they just don't update everyone's portal. Anyone accepted who checked One.IU a few days before receiving a letter and didn't see it?
I have a theory. Those accepted via one.IU first, did you all go to IU as undergrads?

I have a theory. Those accepted via one.IU first, did you all go to IU as undergrads?
I know one for sure who saw it this week (he can't remember if he checked that portal at the end of last week) who has never attended IU or any Indiana state school at any time

My latest theory is that they are accepting anyone not named "hodes".

My latest theory is that they are accepting anyone not named "hodes".
Haha is anyone else dying of anxiousness? I haven't been accepted anywhere yet and have no idea of what I'm gonna do if I have to take a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha is anyone else dying of anxiousness? I haven't been accepted anywhere yet and have no idea of what I'm gonna do if I have to take a gap year.

+1 Same! Literally praying every minute that just one of these schools will show me love :nailbiting:

I find it hard to believe they will reject anyone IS with a LizzyM above the median