2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Besides the April 7th date, is there another second look day?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the class. For FCP, the clinical class, you will have a 3 or 4 hour block of small group about once per week. For the other classes, it depends on that class's particular schedule. No more than 50% of the contact hours in any class can be lecture, but that is spread out over the duration of the class. So one week could be 60/40 lecture/group, another week 40/60 lecture/group, etc. Bottom line? We have a total of 26 contact hours per week. ~50% of those will be small group, averaging out to 13 hours of mandatory activities per week, although individual weeks can (and do) vary significantly.

Can you clarify the grading system? Is it true pass/fail and how is the ranking system during all years of medical school at IU?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything (accepted, rejected, waitlisted, or otherwise) since then. Anyone else in the same boat?

So I just got an email from IUPUI Campus Health requesting immunization/health records. Does this mean that I have been placed in the Indianapolis campus? Orrrrr does this have nothing to do with campus placements..?

Reactions: 1 user
So I just got an email from IUPUI Campus Health requesting immunization/health records. Does this mean that I have been placed in the Indianapolis campus? Orrrrr does this have nothing to do with campus placements..?

Nothing to do with campus placements. All paperwork and administrative processes are done through IUPUI. Hopefully we will find out our placements soon though! Next week maybe?!? We will see...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nothing to do with campus placements. All paperwork and administrative processes are done through IUPUI. Hopefully we will find out our placements soon though! Next week maybe?!? We will see...

At second look they told us the end of April

Can you clarify the grading system? Is it true pass/fail and how is the ranking system during all years of medical school at IU?

Phase 1 (pre-clinical) is true pass/fail. We have been told there isn't any ranking. In each class, you must pass the class grade overall and pass the NBME final to receive a "pass". There are also competencies you must pass such as "professionalism," but you basically pass those by not doing anything stupid. On clinical rotations, we will receive grades (honors, high pass, pass, etc). Not exactly sure how clinical grades work.

Reactions: 1 users
Phase 1 (pre-clinical) is true pass/fail. We have been told there isn't any ranking. In each class, you must pass the class grade overall and pass the NBME final to receive a "pass". There are also competencies you must pass such as "professionalism," but you basically pass those by not doing anything stupid. On clinical rotations, we will receive grades (honors, high pass, pass, etc). Not exactly sure how clinical grades work.
I'm loving the new curriculum changes. Thanks for the updates

I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything (accepted, rejected, waitlisted, or otherwise) since then. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yep. I interviewed in January but now in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via one.iu.edu today (although it could've changed before because I checked it on a whim).
I interviewed in November at the Indy campus.

Still won't believe anything until there's a letter in my hand!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted via one.iu.edu today (although it could've changed before because I checked it on a whim).
I interviewed in November at the Indy campus.

Still won't believe anything until there's a letter in my hand!

Admissions said they sent out letters on Monday for those wondering.

Well no update on one.iu.edu for me. Guess a bit more waiting. Are they done with interviews? I know they say we will have a decision by June 1st, but do they get those out any sooner?

Edit: In last year's thread, the alternate list email was sent out the first week of May and rejections sent a week or 2 later.

Last edited:
Interviewed in early October and still haven't heard anything. IS LizzyM 69. Wish there was more I could do besides waiting to hear something... anything.

Well no update on one.iu.edu for me. Guess a bit more waiting. Are they done with interviews? I know they say we will have a decision by June 1st, but do they get those out any sooner?

Edit: In last year's thread, the alternate list email was sent out the first week of May and rejections sent a week or 2 later.
Yeah I'm just hoping for a waitlist spot at this point, but I don't know how many of those spots are left for OOS applicants. At this point I think it's probably wait list or rejection.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'm just hoping for a waitlist spot at this point, but I don't know how many of those spots are left for OOS applicants. At this point I think it's probably wait list or rejection.
Yea same. I would be totally ok with that. But also just hoping that we hear something, anything soon.

Nope. Means you have to turn in immunizations and such before matriculation.

Edit: I am an Indy student and would argue the smaller campuses would be better with the new curriculum.
-MS1 student

Last edited:

Edit: I am an Indy student and would argue the smaller campuses would be better with the new curriculum.
-MS1 student

What makes you say that?

-MS1 student
Yeah, if you could elaborate that would be very helpful!

Yeah, if you could elaborate that would be very helpful!
Well now that mandatory attendance is only for small group it's not that big of a deal. Smaller campus = more one-on-one time in small groups and lecture with the prof.

^ so to elaborate more I know that in past years getting placed somewhere other than Indy for most people was disappointing but now it's totally fine if not better. There are loads of small group things and in Indy sometimes there is only one facilitator for 140 students as opposed to 1 for ~30 students at other campuses. You can see why this would be an advantage in some situations. Lecture is also good for the smaller campuses since its easier to ask questions with 30 peers rather than 140 :p

Most people end up watching recordings from other campuses anyway. Usually for each course one campus tends to have the best lecturer. In my opinion, Indy has had it for 1 course out of 5 so far. Fort Wayne has had quite a few good lecturers and so has Bloomington. Don't make a campus decision based off this though, as lecture attendance is not required anymore and you can easily watch Fort Wayne's lectures if you so choose.

Obviously Indy has many attractions as a city and campus but so do the other places. I wouldnt worry too much about campus placement with this new curriculum. Each campus has their pros and cons and its hard to objectively determine which campus is best. If I didn't have personal ties to Indy I would have chosen somewhere like Fort Wayne or Bloomington just for the small class feel. But this is just my opinion. Long story short, IUSM is great and you'll have loads of resources and opportunities at all campuses. Happy to answer any other questions that I can about IU

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else unable to get on to their campus portal?

If you press the 'Application Status' button on the upper left corner it takes you to your portal. FYI

I was hoping that the portal was down because they were uploading our campus assignments. Doesn't look like that's the case though...

Really crossing my fingers for Friday, which would be on par with 2015 and 2016 releases. I'm just really gunning for Bloomington due to ties there AHHHHH

Not even 8:00am yet. Too early to tell...

For reference, the first person to post about campus assignment last year was around 2:00pm on the Friday that fell on the same weekend as now.

How long do they give you to enter your preferences after being accepted? A few people were just accepted on the 12th, so it's possible they haven't locked in everyone's preferences yet.

Do you think they will be out by next Friday?

I would hope they're usually out midafternoon Fridays of this weekend, or have been the last 2 years, the previous 2 years assignments were released on or around the 25th... They do say on the website "the end of April" so who knows. =/ I'm obv very anxious to find out!

Last edited:
Hey you guys remember when we were notified about our campus assignments...? Yeah, me neither. Happy Little 5! Stay classy out there!

Reactions: 3 users
Sooo... are we going to hear about campus assignments today?

Just sent an email to admissions withdrawing my acceptance from here. Good luck to everyone else, I hope this spot goes to one of you that have been waiting!

Just sent an email to admissions withdrawing my acceptance from here. Good luck to everyone else, I hope this spot goes to one of you that have been waiting!

Send an amendment transferring it to me! Where'd you decide on?

Send an amendment transferring it to me! Where'd you decide on?
I decided on my in state school. It's a difference of over $200,000 once everything is said and done, which is pretty significant. Plus it's still a good school and I know I'll be happy there.

I decided on my in state school. It's a difference of over $200,000 once everything is said and done, which is pretty significant. Plus it's still a good school and I know I'll be happy there.

Awesome. Good luck!

Just emailed admissions and they told me a decision has yet to be made in my application. There's still hope!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Probably not at this point and it's pretty disconcerting. We're meant to make a decision on one school in the next 6 days and there has been no disclosure by IU on where we are to be placed. Extremely frustrated with them right now.
Probably not at this point and it's pretty disconcerting. We're meant to make a decision on one school in the next 6 days and there has been no disclosure by IU on where we are to be placed. Extremely frustrated with them right now.

I just called admissions and they have no idea when the campus assignments will come out. :mad::(