2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! Admissions was incredibly accommodating in response to my ITA request. Really appreciate the opportunity to check out this school!
Did you request for an interview? I completed my II in Nov but still haven't got any interview invitation T__T

Members don't see this ad.

Did you request for an interview? I completed my II in Nov but still haven't got any interview invitation T__T
I did not pointedly request an interview in order to avoid presenting myself in an entitled manner. I acknowledged that they have many qualified applicants to consider and that these decisions require time and deliberation. Simply stated I would be in the area and am very interested in the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday after interviewing last week!! Still can't believe how fast the turn-around was.

Reactions: 8 users
When do the adcoms meet?? So far I've been seeing phone calls going out only on Tue/Wed at random times throughout the month.

I got this Post II status change:

"Thank you for your interest in the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine. Your file has completed review and will be given additional consideration throughout the duration of the cycle. We highly recommend that you upload professional and personal development updates to your file when applicable. "

Anyone know what it means or represents?

"Thank you for your interest in the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine. Your file has completed review and will be given additional consideration throughout the duration of the cycle. We highly recommend that you upload professional and personal development updates to your file when applicable. "

Basically like a waitlist before the end of the interview season, but they supposedly reconsider you each time they meet and will rediscuss you. I'm not sure, I interviewed way back in September so I feel pretty sure they've already decided no for me

Basically like a waitlist before the end of the interview season, but they supposedly reconsider you each time they meet and will rediscuss you. I'm not sure, I interviewed way back in September so I feel pretty sure they've already decided no for me

Wow since september?! did you send updates and all that?
It's weird, I thought my interview went well.. oh well :\

Send an update if you have anything to update them on! It's basically a waitlist status. The above poster is correct in saying your application gets re-reviewed at every adcom meeting and basically compared to any new and old applicants that have interviewed. Updates are helpful in that situation because it shows continued interest and gives them something new to talk about in terms of your application!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow since september?! did you send updates and all that?
It's weird, I thought my interview went well.. oh well :\
I have sent two updates, and I was pretty sad at first, but I have an acceptance at another school that I love so I haven't updated since Christmas time. I thought my interviews went really well, but who knows? I know the doctor who interviewed me was a little hung up on my shadowing experience, but I did a bunch last semester and updated them so I'm not sure!

Anyways, best of luck to you! :) just because I've been stuck on it, doesn't mean you will!

Last week my status changed to "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee". How late after this did people hear a verdict on their app?

Anyone know if they are still sending out IIs? I called in last month and they said the last interview date is end of February!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week my status changed to "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee". How late after this did people hear a verdict on their app?
Mine has said this since like October; I was complete in July.

Reactions: 3 users
This has been my status for forever: "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."
is there any hope at all for an interview :(

Pleasantly surprised with a merit scholarship today! This definitely makes Loyola more enticing (read: more affordable!) Anybody here planning on going to second look?

Reactions: 7 users
Pleasantly surprised with a merit scholarship today! This definitely makes Loyola more enticing (read: more affordable!) Anybody here planning on going to second look?
I am!

I am too! Where did you see the merit scholarship notification?

How much do they offer for the merit scholarship?

Are parents supposed to come to second look?
Up to you. Many people bring their parents, but lots don't as well. I didn't bring my parents and had no problem mingling with other students who didn't bring their parents either. Basically if you're torn between Loyola and another school, and would like your parents' input, bring them!

Reactions: 1 user
This has been my status for forever: "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."
is there any hope at all for an interview :(
+1

Hey guys! A current medical student here just checking in! Congrats to all those with acceptances (you won't regret coming here!!!) and best of luck to all those still interviewing or waiting to hear of any updates!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! :hello:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! A current medical student here just checking in! Congrats to all those with acceptances (you won't regret coming here!!!) and best of luck to all those still interviewing or waiting to hear of any updates!

Hey Sahgee!

Are lectures at Loyola mandatory? And how is living in Chicago? With the reports of increasing, senseless violence occurring in the region, one thing I've been concerned about is safety.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Do you guys get UWorld or anything similar for free from the University?

Last edited:
the "senseless violence" is not around where Loyola's campus is. Crime? sure, but like anyplace be aware when its dark and it seemed like most students drove to the cam

Do you guys get UWorld or anything similar for free from the University?

We get a copy of first aid and 2 NBME practice exams to take prior to dedicated. There is a group discount for Uworld, but definitely not free.

Hey ya'll!

So I'm thinking of sending an update/LOI and in it I'm mentioning a shadowing program I did a few months ago. After the program one of the physicians I shadowed (who also happened to be a Loyola alumn) sent out a letter of rec to the Assistant Dean of Admissions. Should I attach a copy of this letter of rec to my update letter or just mention that a letter of rec was sent to the Assistant Dean of Admissions?? Basically I want to make sure the admissions committee sees the letter of rec but without making it seem like I was able to read it (I wasn't). Any help would be appreciated!

Hey ya'll!

So I'm thinking of sending an update/LOI and in it I'm mentioning a shadowing program I did a few months ago. After the program one of the physicians I shadowed (who also happened to be a Loyola alumn) sent out a letter of rec to the Assistant Dean of Admissions. Should I attach a copy of this letter of rec to my update letter or just mention that a letter of rec was sent to the Assistant Dean of Admissions?? Basically I want to make sure the admissions committee sees the letter of rec but without making it seem like I was able to read it (I wasn't). Any help would be appreciated!

Did you already interview? If you are in that kinda waitlisted group, in the portal they should provide some direction as to what kind of updates would be in your best interest. If still waiting on an II I guess anything at this point wouldnt hurt.

Hey ya'll!

In their response, they seemed much more annoyed than glad to receive an update from me. I'll just leave it at that...

In their response, they seemed much more annoyed than glad to receive an update from me. I'll just leave it at that...

Really? Did they respond via email?

I have couple questions regarding housing options and I would greatly appreciate if current students could help me out.
What are some of the safe, convenient areas close enough to the campus ?
How do people find place to live and roommates?
Would I need a car if I live close to campus?
Would it be a bad idea to commute from downtown Chicago during first two years?

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
I have couple questions regarding housing options and I would greatly appreciate if current students could help me out.

Thank you!

-Many people live in Forest Park or Oak Park. Madison street in Forest Park has a ton of great restaurants and bars, and is a common hang out spot for M1s, so a lot of people live in the surrounding neighborhood. Forest Park and Oak Park are about 3ish miles away from school or about 10 minutes or so by car. Very safe neighborhoods in my opinion. I've never felt unsafe walking home from nearby restaurants. Of course, as with any place, use good judgement when walking home alone late at night.

-Facebook is the best way if you're looking for roommates. Admissions will send out a packet of available places during second look weekend. Essentially 4th years that are moving out of their place as they move away for residency (or 2nd/3rd years who are looking to move to the city) help their landlords find new tenants (aka you guys!). So that packet is a great way to start looking for places (or at least general buildings/locations).

-I would say for the most part, yes. Most people do, and the few that don't usually carpool with their roommates. Some people that live downtown also take the train to school, so that's an option too. Some people do live in Maywood, which technically can be walking distance, and I know a classmate that does walk to school. I don't live in that area though, so I don't know exact distances. Maywood is also considered a less safe area, so walking might not be the best idea.

-Many people do. All about preference. If you plan on coming to school everyday, the commute might get old especially if you are commuting during rush hour times. However, several people in my class (I can think of maybe 20?) make the commute and don't seem to mind it. It's about a 20 min drive from West Loop to Loyola with no traffic, 40-45 with heavy traffic. To some that's not a huge deal, so it depends on you!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've heard that all interviews invites have been extended. For those of us without, our only hope are cancellations of current interviewers.

I've heard that all interviews invites have been extended. For those of us without, our only hope are cancellations of current interviewers.

That is too bad...here's to hoping for a last-minute II. Did the admissions office give you this information? Anyway, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Reactions: 1 users
How long did it take for ppl to receive something in the mail after getting an acceptance call?

Got accepted but literally have not received any info besides 'hold your acceptance, submit prereqs, confirm technical standards'
When does school start? When is second look (if there is one)? What else do I have to do?
I feel like I'm being left in the dark here

Got accepted but literally have not received any info besides 'hold your acceptance, submit prereqs, confirm technical standards'
When does school start? When is second look (if there is one)? What else do I have to do?
Just relax homeslice! If you've accepted a seat, they're not gonna forget you, but to answer your questions:
1. M1 year typically starts the first Monday in August. Orientation week is the last week of July (these dates may vary slightly, of course)
2. There is a second look! It is being organized as I type... it is typically the second saturday in April.
3. What else is there to do? Don't worry, you'll get an official to-do list, but as a preview you'll need: copies of your vaccination records and any updated titers, criminal background check authorization, official transcripts, etc
In the meantime, just enjoy your acceptance!

Second Look is on April 7th this year.

Does anybody know if they will release scholarship/ financial aid info before the second look weekend? I really like Loyola but I would only choose it over my state school if I can get some scholarship.

Just relax homeslice! If you've accepted a seat, they're not gonna forget you, but to answer your questions:
1. M1 year typically starts the first Monday in August. Orientation week is the last week of July (these dates may vary slightly, of course)
2. There is a second look! It is being organized as I type... it is typically the second saturday in April.
3. What else is there to do? Don't worry, you'll get an official to-do list, but as a preview you'll need: copies of your vaccination records and any updated titers, criminal background check authorization, official transcripts, etc

Also, there is a calendar on the school website that you can see for the 2017-2018 year

Does anybody know if they will release scholarship/ financial aid info before the second look weekend? I really like Loyola but I would only choose it over my state school if I can get some scholarship.

I believe from previous cycle years I read that in mid-April they release financial aid packets

Second Look is on April 7th this year.

Also, there is a calendar on the school website that you can see for the 2017-2018 year

thanks homies i was frustrated last night

How long did it take for ppl to receive something in the mail after getting an acceptance call?

It took me around two and a half months because it was lost in the mail! I eventually got it, muddy and battered, inside another envelope the post office put over it. But it was worth the wait!

Anyone else have trouble submitting their RSVP for second look?

I'm getting stuck on the vegetarian meal count..

Usually released during second look weekend or shortly after. They know that people need to make decisions soon, and that money plays a huge role in that, so don't worry, that info should be coming soon!