2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted earlier today! I absolutely loved this school. Thank you Loyola :)

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by a Loyola admissions rep today that interviews are conducted through the end of February. So I'm assuming they only have a few more interviews to give out. Thought this might be a good thing to share.

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations! Were you ever on hold at any point following your interview?

I never checked my portal or anything after my interview, for what I know this was the first decision that has been made on my app. I interviewed before the new year.

Edit: Thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does Loyola reject preII?? Still hoping for one of those last interviews

new to SDN. stilll waiting on Loyola as well:/ Did anyone get contacted beforehand about being a competitive applicant? They did that to me and even waived my supplemental fee..and now its been silent..which sucks because i feel like i just got a massive amount of false hope. are they even still sending out interviews?

new to SDN. stilll waiting on Loyola as well:/ Did anyone get contacted beforehand about being a competitive applicant? They did that to me and even waived my supplemental fee..and now its been silent..which sucks because i feel like i just got a massive amount of false hope. are they even still sending out interviews?

Based on last year thread, the last time they sent out interview invites was Feb. 24th. So there is still some hope

Reactions: 4 users
Based on last year thread, the last time they sent out interview invites was Feb. 24th. So there is still some hope
alright, thanks that makes me feel slightly better !

Accepted!
Interviewed in early Dec. Absolutely loved this school!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today, accepted omg!
This is extremely nerve wracking as its my first acceptance, some friends are advising me to cancel future interviews at "lower" ranked schools, others are encouraging me to interview because the merit-based scholarships may be higher at different schools
What's the smart thing to do? aka how do I judge the strength of the programs at schools specifically at OUWB and Tulane while also taking into account possible financial aid differences?

Got the call today, accepted omg!
This is extremely nerve wracking as its my first acceptance, some friends are advising me to cancel future interviews at "lower" ranked schools, others are encouraging me to interview because the merit-based scholarships may be higher at different schools
What's the smart thing to do? aka how do I judge the strength of the programs at schools specifically at OUWB and Tulane while also taking into account possible financial aid differences?
Congrats!!
I've been struggling with these same kinds of questions for a while now. I think it really depends on what factors you think are most important about medical school. For instance, how important is cost? Will that make or break a school for you and is a $10,000-$20,000 scholarship going to change your decision? If so, I think it would be worth it to go to all of the interviews and have options financially. On the other hand, I have been making my decisions based on curriculum, location, clinical opportunities, match lists and how happy I think I would be at a specific school for 4 years. To make that decision I've been doing heavy research on the school in question and the surrounding area which has helped me to decide to turn down a few interviews and attend a few.I haven't regretted any of my decisions so far!

Reactions: 4 users
Also, accepted today! Interviewed early December

Congrats!!
I've been struggling with these same kinds of questions for a while now. I think it really depends on what factors you think are most important about medical school. For instance, how important is cost? Will that make or break a school for you and is a $10,000-$20,000 scholarship going to change your decision? If so, I think it would be worth it to go to all of the interviews and have options financially. On the other hand, I have been making my decisions based on curriculum, location, clinical opportunities, match lists and how happy I think I would be at a specific school for 4 years. To make that decision I've been doing heavy research on the school in question and the surrounding area which has helped me to decide to turn down a few interviews and attend a few.I haven't regretted any of my decisions so far!
I'm also having the same problem. I'm stuck between OUWB and Loyola. I got a full ride at OUWB, and I have not heard anything from Loyola about scholarship offers.

For those still waiting, a friend got an II today! Complete in August, sent an update in December. She said dates available were next Thurs and the Tues/Thurs of the following week. OOS

Reactions: 11 users
For those still waiting, a friend got an II today! Complete in August, sent an update in December. She said dates available were next Thurs and the Tues/Thurs of the following week. OOS
I'm still hoping to get a chance to interview! My MCAT is quite low, so it's a biggest damage on my application. Submit application in Oct, and II in Dec. I'm planning to write an update letter to "beg" them T__T Still crossing my finger with hope!

Hey ya'll, your friendly neighborhood M3 here! Considering the anxiety that tends to surround the admissions process, allow me to share some morsels:
1. Think of this as musical applications. If you don't get an II, they put you in a new pool of applicants considered for II. Rinse and repeat.
2. It's not too late to apply. We look at everyone! There's no such thing as too much talent.
3. It ain't over til it's over. Because you're playing musical applications, you're not rejected until explicitly told so. We had a guy accepted during orientation week my M1 year! (True story)
4. Loyola likes to feel the love! If we're legit your first choice, let us know why! Send meaningful updates of great things you're doing academically and in life. Remember, medschool admissions is like dating - both parties want to impress and be impressed.
4a. Don't be a player by telling a bunch of schools they're your bae . You'd be foolish to think admissions folk don't talk to each other.
5. Be real! Fake is easier to spot than ppl think. And it's not cute.

Cheers and all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Although my hope is decaying, your comment really sparks my interest in keep trying again! Thank you.

Just a heads up to others in this situation...Loyola likes to "feel the love" in general--pre and/or post interview. Honestly, if you have something to update them on, update them! Now obviously don't send an update without something new to add to your application---that would be unnecessarily at this time in the cycle. Come the end of the cycle, some do do this (in the form of a letter of intent update), and while some might frown upon this, I don't see any harm if you truly want to attend Loyola--but again, too early in the cycle to do this. But back to the original question--grades ARE considered update worthy, particularly if they're good. While you're sending that update, it wouldn't hurt to throw in any activities you're currently involved in (even if they were listed on your application), just to note that you're STILL involved in them and maybe talk about anything new you have learned from those activities and how that might make you a better applicant. While that update might not "sway their decision one way or another", it does allow for your application to be looked at again, which might lead to an interview.

TL;DR if you have something to update the school on (grades included), do it. Don't worry about "looking desperate"---as long as you aren't literally begging to be let in, no one is going to think that.

It's a silly question, but: Does SSOM go by Loyola University Chicago or Stitch School of Medicine more common?

I'm a current M1 at Loyola (soon to be M2...eyp!!). Feel free to PM/tag me if you have any questions!
Hi, I plan to write an update letter, does SSOm often refer to themselves as Stitch School of Medicine or Loyola University Chicago?

Hi, I plan to write an update letter, does SSOm often refer to themselves as Stitch School of Medicine or Loyola University Chicago?

Stritch School of Medicine...I referred to them as Loyola Stritch School of Medicine in my update letter if that helps!

For various reasons, Stritch is my #1, but I have yet to receive an II. I recently sent a very brief update with recent grades/transcript, and a new volunteering role I've taken on over the past few months. I kept it extremely brief but did mention how I felt the update helped me better fit Loyola - about a sentence of the paragraph update I provided.

Question:

Is it worth it to send another interest letter to reinforce my intent? I wasted all my bullets in the last update but I would be able to discuss how one of my existing clinical volunteer roles is taking on more personal significance to me.

For various reasons, Stritch is my #1, but I have yet to receive an II. I recently sent a very brief update with recent grades/transcript, and a new volunteering role I've taken on over the past few months. I kept it extremely brief but did mention how I felt the update helped me better fit Loyola - about a sentence of the paragraph update I provided.

Question:

Is it worth it to send another interest letter to reinforce my intent? I wasted all my bullets in the last update but I would be able to discuss how one of my existing clinical volunteer roles is taking on more personal significance to me.
I think that sort of thing is always worth it, especially if the adcom is receptive to letters of intent. I'm not sure about whether Loyola is, but even so, if you can express your intent and unequivocal interest in their school while also coupling it with a clincal experience that has personal significance to you, I can't see why that wouldn't reflect positively on your application. If they truly are your number 1 choice than I think you should let them know that. It certainly doesn't hurt your chances, but could potentially improve them.

Have any lurkers received IIs recently?

Reactions: 2 users

Question:

Send it! Loyola is extremely receptive to update letters, and while it might not necessarily get you an interview, it definitely won't hurt. They like to feel the love, and even more so, they like to know that their applicants fit well with their mission. As the interview season is quickly winding down, get that letter in asap. If you're going to send one, now is the time! Make it thoughtful, make sure you communicate how it increases your fit for Loyola (if it does), and the significance of the work you're doing! Good luck!

Does Loyola reject post-secondary, but pre-interview?

Question for current students: How did you go about finding housing for your first year? Craigslist?

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome- thank you!

II just now after being complete since late July! LizzyM ~70 for those who care.

The only date they offered is 2/9, and I happen to have a vacation flight booked that day...anyone know how late into February they interview?

Reactions: 5 users
II today to for next Thursday as well! Pretty short notice but can't really complain

II today to for next Thursday as well! Pretty short notice but can't really complain

Congrats! Gotta take what you can get!

When we're you complete? Stats?

II as well! LizzyM~68, complete late July. Update letter sent in early January.

Very surprised and pleased to have this opportunity! :D

Edit: only date was also next thursday, the 9th. I DONT CARE IM BOOKING A FLIGHT

Reactions: 7 users
II as well! LizzyM~68, complete late July. Update letter sent in early January.

Very surprised and pleased to have this opportunity! :D

Edit: only date was also next thursday, the 9th. I DONT CARE IM BOOKING A FLIGHT

I would hitchhike if meant I could interview.

Congrats! Gotta take what you can get!

When we're you complete? Stats?
LizzyM of ~68 and I was complete early August. Just sent a pretty extensive update within the last week but wasn't expecting to hear back this quickly haha

LizzyM of ~68 and I was complete early August. Just sent a pretty extensive update within the last week but wasn't expecting to hear back this quickly haha

I've done the same! Maybe tomorrow will be lucky for me.

Best of luck to you

Checked my portal and I have an II!!

It says there are currently no openings, but I'll check again tomorrow and then email admissions :D

Reactions: 2 users
Checked my portal and I have an II!!

It says there are currently no openings, but I'll check again tomorrow and then email admissions :D

what was your portal status before recieving a II?

For those who got IIs today,

do you remember if your status was this beforehand?

• Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.

For those who got IIs today,

do you remember if your status was this beforehand?

• Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.

I had the "under review" status this morning and received the II this afternoon. As far as I know I never had this status.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile