2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is A&M match heavy or pre-match heavy? Can someone provide some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone have what they perceived as a bad interview and still pre-match? Or know if anyone who had a bad interview and still matched?

Did anyone have what they perceived as a bad interview and still pre-match? Or know if anyone who had a bad interview and still matched?

Yes. Also, as told to me straight from the admissions dean, an applicants perception of whether their interview was good or bad is rarely accurate.

Yes. Also, as told to me straight from the admissions dean, an applicants perception of whether their interview was good or bad is rarely accurate.

I sure hope so. Mine was horrendous lol

Reactions: 1 user

Dang well I have no idea how I felt about mine so hopefully it means it went well....

Feb feels so far away!

I personally thought my faculty interview was horrendous, and I was so nervous before my student interview that I was shaking. My interviewer asked me if I was okay because I was visibly sweating. At another school, I was heavily grilled and questioned about every answer I gave; told one of my LOR writers had recommended me for "graduate" school rather than "medical" school, did she really know me?

I prematched to both.

I thought I killed my interview at another school and was rejected. Post interview thoughts mean nothing.

Stop thinking about whether you got in (as difficult as it is :)) and enjoy your holiday! Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone else always feel like their interview is just okay? Never good or bad but just neutral? Or maybe I just suck at judging myself haha

Does anyone else always feel like their interview is just okay? Never good or bad but just neutral? Or maybe I just suck at judging myself haha

Haha, yes. For the most part, most of my interviews were meh. I had ones I thought were good, which were the ones where I was not talking about myself but just having a conversation.

I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. Didn't really make much of it during the interview. When I asked one of my interviewers how A&M is at preparing students for Step 1, they said that their Step averages are at or near the national average and they don't really incorporate Step prep in the curriculum. Can any current students shed some light on this? Also, does anyone have any STEP data from 2015/2016 for Texas schools? I saw someone that posted a bunch of averages in the UTMB thread, but not all of them are from the same year. Do STEP averages vary significantly between years? Thanks!

I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. Didn't really make much of it during the interview. When I asked one of my interviewers how A&M is at preparing students for Step 1, they said that their Step averages are at or near the national average and they don't really incorporate Step prep in the curriculum. Can any current students shed some light on this? Also, does anyone have any STEP data from 2015/2016 for Texas schools? I saw someone that posted a bunch of averages in the UTMB thread, but not all of them are from the same year. Do STEP averages vary significantly between years? Thanks!

Step average is based on individual student performance and can vary from year to year. I remember TTUHSC El Paso used to have pretty high Step scores comparable to those Baylor and UTSW couple years ago but now UTMB holds that spot.

I have my interview day at Temple on January 5th, but couldn't get student accommodations to have a place to stay the night before :/ Any current students out there willing to help me out?

Members don't see this ad :)
While filling out FAFSA, we submit the application to Texas A&M University College Station (School code 003632)?

Does anyone know if the interviews are normally conducted in the mornings or afternoons? I interview here on January 5th, but have another interview the next day, so I might have to leave early.

Does anyone know if the interviews are normally conducted in the mornings or afternoons? I interview here on January 5th, but have another interview the next day, so I might have to leave early.

The interview here is particularly long, and it seemed most were help in the afternoon.

I would reach out to them and see if they can interview you in the morning. I remember all interviews were in the afternoon during my interview day.

I interview is on the 5th too! My friends said that theirs were in the afternoon but they might be able to rearrange things for you!

I interview is on the 5th too! My friends said that theirs were in the afternoon but they might be able to rearrange things for you!

Thanks for your concern, guys! I emailed Ms. Franke, and she told me that the school does not have any interviews in the morning. However, my interview is somewhat early (2 PM), so I was able to make the appropriate travel arrangements in the late afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Excited for the next year

Last edited:
While filling out FAFSA, we submit the application to Texas A&M University College Station (School code 003632)?
When did you get the FAFSA application from the school? I prematched on nov 15th and haven't heard anything

Can anyone comment on the rotation cities here? Specifically Round Rock - how is it relative to Dallas/Houston/Temple?

Did anyone else have a really difficult interview and another that was really chill?
I'm getting really nervous as Match day approaches. This is the only school that gave me the opportunity to interview. I am dumb and didn't apply to any DO schools other than TCOM but I've already gotten ignored by them.

Also, how are people saying that this school is match-heavy? On the info sheet they gave us, it says only 150 people matched on match day. That means the other ~280 people who were accepted were from pre-match if we take into consideration that another 20 or so came off of the waitlist.

Also, how are people saying that this school is match-heavy? On the info sheet they gave us, it says only 150 people matched on match day. That means the other ~280 people who were accepted were from pre-match if we take into consideration that another 20 or so came off of the waitlist.

They said that that number includes people that were accepted but but ranked them lower than other schools. They said the majority of the 200 people came from the match during my interview date. Or are you saying that there are 430 per class? Lol

They said that that number includes people that were accepted but but ranked them lower than other schools. They said the majority of the 200 people came from the match during my interview date. Or are you saying that there are 430 per class? Lol

No, I'm not saying there are 430 people in the class. Last year, they handed out 454 acceptances and 150 of them were offered on Feb. 1 according to the information sheet

So, I'm guessing that most of the people who matriculated came out of the pool of 150 people they offered acceptances to on match day. The other 300 or so people who pre-matched or whatever also probably pre-matched to other schools and ranked them higher than a&m. I guess that's what you're getting at?

They probably aren't counting those that were accepted after the match

So, I'm guessing that most of the people who matriculated came out of the pool of 150 people they offered acceptances to on match day. The other 300 or so people who pre-matched or whatever also probably pre-matched to other schools and ranked them higher than a&m. I guess that's what you're getting at?

Yep. They said that they include "acceptances" where they were like "I like Person A, so we're going to offer them an acceptance". When Person A ranks another school higher and gets in, A&M still includes that in their data. So really 3/4 of the class matches.

I had a few questions for the current medical students here.

How much patient interaction do you guys get during the pre-clinical years? When can we start seeing patients with physicians, start practicing on how to take histories/exams and exactly how extensive is that during the first 18 months?

Because this school has a pass/fail/honors with the top 15% getting Honors if they score >90, how competitive are the students with each other? Are they willing to collaborate and help each other out or do you guys notice people just studying and keeping things to themselves?

Just trying to figure out how to rank the schools in the upcoming Match. Thanks!

I had a few questions for the current medical students here.

How much patient interaction do you guys get during the pre-clinical years? When can we start seeing patients with physicians, start practicing on how to take histories/exams and exactly how extensive is that during the first 18 months?

Because this school has a pass/fail/honors with the top 15% getting Honors if they score >90, how competitive are the students with each other? Are they willing to collaborate and help each other out or do you guys notice people just studying and keeping things to themselves?

Just trying to figure out how to rank the schools in the upcoming Match. Thanks!

We have a preceptorship course that allows for patient interaction and practice of clinical skills in the first 18 months. During the first 6 months it is minimal, but is more significant in the next, and you can clock well over 40 hours with an attending physician in your third semester, not even counting standardized patients. If you choose to take part in extracurricular free clinics or shadow in your pre-clinical education you can practice a few extra hours every week.

Competition is with yourself, and you alone. We have never had instances of people trying to hurt others scores; quite the opposite actually. Students jump to supply their study materials to the class and classes below them, and there is always someone willing to tutor if you ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. Does anyone know why there is a discrepancy between the "summary statistics on 2016 entering class" data sheet that they gave out during the interview and this google doc with info from USNWR 2016?

To any current med students here: Where are good, affordable places to live here that aren't swamped with undergrad students? I've looked at Hawthorne and Regency but both are slightly pricey. Are there any good neighborhoods relatively close to the med school that have a lot of rent houses? Do a lot of students live south of Rock prairie?

Hey guys. Does anyone know why there is a discrepancy between the "summary statistics on 2016 entering class" data sheet that they gave out during the interview and this google doc with info from USNWR 2016?

What's the discrepancy? They're cutting the class down from 200 to 180 if that's what you're referring to. And I would keep in mind that USNWR has had several mistakes in the past pointed out by people here, which is why they say to take the data given by the school as more important.

What's the discrepancy? They're cutting the class down from 200 to 180 if that's what you're referring to. And I would keep in mind that USNWR has had several mistakes in the past pointed out by people here, which is why they say to take the data given by the school as more important.

For the class of the cycle's applicants?

For the class of the cycle's applicants?
Yep. They're bringing in a new person, and they're cutting the class size. Someone asked the admissions people why, and they just said that they didn't know since the new person wasn't super clear, but that they wanted to try something different.

A few questions for any current medical students at TX A&M:

1. I am interested in having Houston as my #1 because my wife and kids will have family support there. I know Methodist is the #1 hospital in the state and ranked high as a teaching hospital, but are there any negatives with it not being a Level 1 Trauma Center? Do you have access to other hospitals in Houston? Any other information that would be helpful?

2. Does anyone know if they are planning on changing Houston from 1.5/2.5 to a 1/3 like the other sites? I know they are adding an education center at Methodist, but don't know what role this will play.

3. As a non-trad with a wife and kids, does anyone know what the support for families is like at TX A&M?

4. I interviewed at Temple and have not yet seen Bryan, but I am seriously considering this school and would like to tour Bryan campus before deciding. I plan on calling the office to ask as well, but just wondering if anyone on here knows if/how I can do this.

Thanks! Congrats to all who have been admitted so far!

I'm confused. On their website, they say the match date is 2/2. But on my TMDSAS page it states "The deadline for entering or editing your school preference rankings has passed. Please return to this page after 8:00 AM on February 01, 2017 (Central Time) to view your match results. "

Does A&M just tell us our match results later?

I'm confused. On their website, they say the match date is 2/2. But on my TMDSAS page it states "The deadline for entering or editing your school preference rankings has passed. Please return to this page after 8:00 AM on February 01, 2017 (Central Time) to view your match results. "

You input your rank preference before 2/2. The deadline to do it is 1/20, but the results come out 2/2. Did you input a rank?
If not, they may automatically disqualify you from match, and I would highly recommend you call TMDSAS ASAP.

You input your rank preference before 2/2. The deadline to do it is 1/20, but the results come out 2/2. Did you input a rank?
If not, they may automatically disqualify you from match, and I would highly recommend you call TMDSAS ASAP.

Just called TMDSAS, and yup, they got my rank preferences. So I don't think that's the issue. That message is what is displayed on my TMDSAS portfolio, so maybe A&M releases their match ranks the day after match day?

Just called TMDSAS, and yup, they got my rank preferences. So I don't think that's the issue. That message is what is displayed on my TMDSAS portfolio, so maybe A&M releases their match ranks the day after match day?

Texas A&M is part of TMDSAS just like all other Texas Schools, except for Baylor. The match results WILL come out on the 1st of Feb at 8am, including if someone matches to Texas A&M.

UPDATE: Called A&M just to make sure and they said that match date IS FEB 1st. It's probably a typo on their website.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Texas A&M is part of TMDSAS just like all other Texas Schools, except for Baylor. The match results WILL come out on the 1st of Feb at 8am, including if someone matches to Texas A&M.

UPDATE: Called A&M just to make sure and they said that match date IS FEB 1st. It's probably a typo on their website.
Thank you!

A few questions for any current medical students at TX A&M:

1. I am interested in having Houston as my #1 because my wife and kids will have family support there. I know Methodist is the #1 hospital in the state and ranked high as a teaching hospital, but are there any negatives with it not being a Level 1 Trauma Center? Do you have access to other hospitals in Houston? Any other information that would be helpful?

2. Does anyone know if they are planning on changing Houston from 1.5/2.5 to a 1/3 like the other sites? I know they are adding an education center at Methodist, but don't know what role this will play.

3. As a non-trad with a wife and kids, does anyone know what the support for families is like at TX A&M?

4. I interviewed at Temple and have not yet seen Bryan, but I am seriously considering this school and would like to tour Bryan campus before deciding. I plan on calling the office to ask as well, but just wondering if anyone on here knows if/how I can do this.

Thanks! Congrats to all who have been admitted so far!
I'm going to skip #1 because I'm not Houston track, and honestly never looked into it very much because that wasn't a track I considered. But every campus has its pros and cons.
2. As far as I'm aware there aren't plans as of yet to make that change.
3. From the observations of a single med student of classmates that are married with kids, or are expecting children the support system seems to be very very strong. Occasionally the spouses will bring their kid(s) to the campus during lunch, and so many people want to play with or high five the kids (I love kids so for me its fun to play with the kids but let someone else do the parenting). There is group for married students and parent students and their spouses, and they seem to really help one another.
4. Call the admissions office, they would be the point of contact on that and arranging a visit of the Bryan campus.
(Although the ranking deadline has passed so none of this will really play a role in decision making I hope it offers you at least some limited perspective)

Last edited:

Are you referring to the enrolled number of 198? Because I am in the entering class of 2016 (class of 2020) and our class was never that big. I think our class was 191 give or take 1 (There was a student that was accepted elsewhere out of state the week of orientation so I don't know if they counted in that stat)

Are you referring to the enrolled number of 198? Because I am in the entering class of 2016 (class of 2020) and our class was never that big. I think our class was 191 give or take 1 (There was a student that was accepted elsewhere out of state the week of orientation so I don't know if they counted in that stat)

Yup! On the summary statistics page they gave us for your class (class of 2020), it says out of a total of 3104 applicants, 926 were interviewed, 454 were accepted, and 150 out of the 454 were matched on Feb. 1. It also says there are 184 total students.

Last edited:
Yup! On the summary statistics page they gave us for your class (class of 2020), it says out of a total of 3104 applicants, 926 were interviewed, 454 were accepted, and 150 out of the 454 were matched on Feb. 1. It also says there are 184 total students.
I don't know how they count students that are accepted into dual degree programs such as MD/MBA and MD/PhD into that number and that might be one reason for varying statistics.

1st congrats & good luck to those accepted and those awaiting the match. Just read through some of the past few months of comments and wanted to share some thoughts. I am a current student.

1. Texas A&M is phenomenal. The faculty, staff, and students go far out of their way to help you. It's almost ridiculous how helpful the Aggie culture is.

2. The curriculum changed drastically for Class of 2019 & forward. Struggles, challenges, concerns from earlier cohorts may not be as relevant for you.

3. Failure. It happens at every medical school. Whether it's the comments others have made about the "handbook rules" or "students failing/remediating," just keep in mind that it is in no one's interest to have a med student fail anywhere. It's extremely expensive/costly for a medical school to have a cohort move forward with empty seats. Additionally, the faculty is ultimately rated on how well students do on boards, securing residencies, etc.. Putting this together - you'd recognize that the school works incredibly hard to maximize the potential of each student while minimizing the number that fail. To say faculty doesn't care or doesn't help, is just flat out wrong. A&M has more truly golden educators than it has mediocre ones. You won't find people like this everywhere. What you will find everywhere- are those researchers that are not interested in teaching, but still lecture. Every school has this. At A&M- those types are very few.

4. Cautiously evaluate those who seem to be whining or trolling. No matter what anyone says, your success in medical school is yours to own. Phenomenal faculty, staff, & classmates just propel you forward (which I believe we have here at A&M). But if you aren't helping yourself- no one can help you. The #1 reason students fail is poor time management. #2 failure to ask for help early on. Yes, there are a handful of students each year with extraordinary circumstances that limit their performance (health, family, other factors), but they are few.

5. Medical school, in of itself, is not hard. Nothing we do or learn is that complex. It's the pace we learn it at that is difficult. If you hear someone else blaming their faculty, their school, or something else for their performance - please take their comments with caution. The only things you need to pass medical school and boards are --> an average IQ, the material, discipline, a schedule, some motivation, and no extraordinary life circumstances that block you from doing your work. Discipline, schedules, & extraordinary circumstance are almost always what cause failure. When you hear of someone not passing, it's one of those things - it's not the administration, resources, or the school.

6. You can do it anywhere. If you put your mind to it, you can kick *ss at any program, anywhere in the nation. If you want to get a "250" on boards, you can do it. You set your mind to it while honestly & consistently sticking to a schedule and activities that will get you there. It's really that easy. You don't need to be at Harvard. Every year students from across the spectrum of schools make it happen. So how do you pick a school? Pick a school that you're going to have fun doing it at. A place where people are supportive, helpful, and genuinely care about each other. A place that makes life easier for you (location, cost, etc.). It's a long road, but it doesn't have to be a brutal one.

7. Hopefully some of ya'll will end up at A&M. I can guarantee you won't find a program with faculty, staff, & students that are as supportive, genuine, & helpful as the ones we have here at A&M.

8. Good luck ya'll.

Reactions: 4 users