You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats. When were you complete? And IS or OOS?II! 🙂🙂🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info!For all those wondering about out of state, as a current OOS student I would say definitely apply if you think you like the school. While the school does like Pennsylvania residents (particularly NEPA) because they are more likely to stay in the region and the main purpose of the school was drawing physicians to the region, you can still get in OOS if you discuss why you think the school is a good fit for you, particularly the community health and rural aspect of the school. Being a newer school it has a lot of new programs and ideas on teaching that make it stand out from some of the more traditional schools, and the school realizes this and looks for applicants who fit their goals regardless of if they are from PA. I know all schools talk about "fit" and when filling out apps it can feel like a lot of BS and for a good number of schools it is, but TCMC really is different than a lot of other schools and its community aspect separates it from most schools. You have to decide whether you like that or not because it definitely isn't for everyone.
Personally I was a CA resident even though I lived in Philly for 5 years of undergrad and work, so having lived in PA may have helped but I really do think they are more interested in finding students that fit their goals. I also didn't end up applying to the school until early October when I panicked because I hadn't received any interview invites so I applied to a few more schools. On a side note, a surprisingly large number of this year's class is from CA. Not sure why that is.
If you have any other questions about the school let me know.
For all those wondering about out of state, as a current OOS student I would say definitely apply if you think you like the school. While the school does like Pennsylvania residents (particularly NEPA) because they are more likely to stay in the region and the main purpose of the school was drawing physicians to the region, you can still get in OOS if you discuss why you think the school is a good fit for you, particularly the community health and rural aspect of the school. Being a newer school it has a lot of new programs and ideas on teaching that make it stand out from some of the more traditional schools, and the school realizes this and looks for applicants who fit their goals regardless of if they are from PA. I know all schools talk about "fit" and when filling out apps it can feel like a lot of BS and for a good number of schools it is, but TCMC really is different than a lot of other schools and its community aspect separates it from most schools. You have to decide whether you like that or not because it definitely isn't for everyone.
Personally I was a CA resident even though I lived in Philly for 5 years of undergrad and work, so having lived in PA may have helped but I really do think they are more interested in finding students that fit their goals. I also didn't end up applying to the school until early October when I panicked because I hadn't received any interview invites so I applied to a few more schools. On a side note, a surprisingly large number of this year's class is from CA. Not sure why that is.
If you have any other questions about the school let me know.
It may not be so surprising if I told you that a lot of people from my parents' generation, the baby boomers( I'm a non trad) moved to California since the jobs dried up around here. These people may be children of former PA residents.
Last edited:
It may not be so surprising if I told you that a lot of people from my parents' generation, the baby boomers( I'm a non trad) moved to California since the jobs dried up around here. These people may be children of former PA residents.
Here's the deal with California. California residents account for 12% of the US population but California only has 6% of the total allopathic and osteopathic medical school seats. Instead of building more medical schools, the State of California, which is one of the top 10 economies in the world on a stand alone basis, would rather spend 4 billion dollars to execute 13 people in the last 30 years
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-new-study-reveals-california-has-spent-4-billion-death-penalty
provide ridiculous benefits to public employees, and spend "God only knows how much" on a stupid train to nowhere. The billionaire jerks in Silicon Valley would rather buy islands and basketball teams than donate enough money to capitalize new medical schools on campuses like Santa Cruz and Merced. This is the reason Californians mooch medical school seats from the rest of the country.These California applicants get away with this because narcissistic schmoes on admissions committees in the East and Midwest want geographically cosmopolitan classes.
This may be true as well. I can say from experience within my own family that half of them moved to Silicon Valley after graduation from college to pursue a career.Here's the deal with California. California residents account for 12% of the US population but California only has 6% of the total allopathic and osteopathic medical school seats. Instead of building more medical schools, the State of California, which is one of the top 10 economies in the world on a stand alone basis, would rather spend 4 billion dollars to execute 13 people in the last 30 years
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-new-study-reveals-california-has-spent-4-billion-death-penalty
provide ridiculous benefits to public employees, and spend "God only knows how much" on a stupid train to nowhere. The billionaire jerks in Silicon Valley would rather buy islands and basketball teams than donate enough money to capitalize new medical schools on campuses like Santa Cruz and Merced. This is the reason Californians mooch medical school seats from the rest of the country.These California applicants get away with this because narcissistic schmoes on admissions committees in the East and Midwest want geographically cosmopolitan classes.
There really aren't a ton of jobs in NE PA anymore. Many bailed on the area to succeed at something other than the only entry level jobs available. Heck, in my town where I spent most of my life, adults compete for a job at the local Burger King.
All that is left is that, welfare, illegal drugs, and elderly on social security. Also there are those who will take a risky long haul over snowy mountains in winter to get to a job.
Does anyone know if Commonwealth sends an "application complete" after they receive all materials and forward for review? I received a Secondary App has been submitted but was wondering if I should expect a separate "complete" email. Thanks!
Does anyone know if Commonwealth sends an "application complete" after they receive all materials and forward for review? I received a Secondary App has been submitted but was wondering if I should expect a separate "complete" email. Thanks!
They send a complete email but it should also say application complete in your status section of your portal!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Complete date?II !! 🙂
Completion date was 7/22Complete date?
II! Complete Late June
You have 21 interviews? That's incredible. Congrats.II! Complete Late June
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II! OOS, completed late June. First of the cycle, I'm stoked!
Last edited:
Congrats!! Stats, completion date, URM status if you do not mind?II! OOS, completed early July. First of the cycle, I'm stoked!
Complete 6/26. ORM, LizzyM ~70Congrats!! Stats, completion date, URM status if you do not mind?
It looks like they are sending out II in a random order.
I may do so! I interview on the 12th.. Can any current MS here speak of interview day?II here!! I was complete 8/04 and recvd II 8/26, lizzyM 65 lower mcat
Is anyone planning on staying with a current MD student the night before the interview? I was thinking about it!
Edit: & specifically, how did you prep? This is my first interview and I have a low MCAT so I really do not want to mess this up. I am working on my answers for common questions, but is there anything else other than knowing my application inside and out?
II! 

Did you get the email today or Friday? Also mind sharing stats?
Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
Apparently, I got it last Monday, but gmail filtered it into the promotions tab 😡. Definitely keeping an eye on that in the future. IS, LM~68, complete 07/23.Did you get the email today or Friday? Also mind sharing stats?
Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
Haha that's frustrating. I'm in state too, hoping for some love here! Congrats though!Apparently, I got it last Monday, but gmail filtered it into the promotions tab 😡. Definitely keeping an eye on that in the future. IS, LM~68, complete 07/23.
Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Good luck!Haha that's frustrating. I'm in state too, hoping for some love here! Congrats though!
Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
Oh great, thank you for the thoughtful reply 🙂Honestly just be ready to answer basic questions and talk about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit for the school. The student interview is usually more casual and relaxed like a normal conversation while the faculty interview will probably have more questions like you would expect in a med school interview. But it really depends on who you get to interview you in terms of what exactly they will ask you or want to talk about. Just be ready to talk about yourself and connect that to why you want to go to TCMC and how your strengths fit with the school's goals. Doing some research on the school and getting an idea of what they focus on is something I recommend for all interviews. It also allows you to see whether you want to go to the school if you are accepted.
All in all TCMC's interview day is pretty similar to most schools with interviews, tours, and talks about the school. Just relax and be yourself and it should be fine. I know it feels like a very stressful thing, but you should go in with a confident and relaxed attitude. You got an interview so they must be highly impressed with you!
OOS
I found out via email.Did you find out via email or the portal?
I found out via email.
nm saw your complete date in an earlier post...thanx for sharing
Rejected. OOS.
when were you complete and your stats if you don't mind?
Really, MCATHigh9? 😉Rejected in State...aww well...low MCAT high GPA
Sorry to hear, though. What exactly was low MCAT?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II!!!! I'm so happy!!!! complete on 6/28
II!!!! I'm so happy!!!! complete on 6/28
Congrats! It's a super low-stress interview day and an amazing school!
Also love your username! Brings back some great memories
As a kid I got a lot of hours of enjoyment of it! Did you interview recently? I'm really excited about it-- and i'm glad to hear it's low-stressCongrats! It's a super low-stress interview day and an amazing school!
Also love your username! Brings back some great memories
II!!!!!!!
OOS. Complete 8/11
What are your stats?II!!!! I'm so happy!!!! complete on 6/28
Haven't heard back yet 🙁 IS & complete on 8/9