You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Stats and complete date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 but I'm in state. Hoping for some love soon!Complete 7/25 and still nothing back. Getting worried now. LizzyM ~65
Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
"""It is my unfortunate obligation to inform you that the Admissions Committee has decided not to interview you for the Class of 2021""
first one!
first one!
Aiyeeeeee, when were you complete/submission date? Maybe I'm next"""It is my unfortunate obligation to inform you that the Admissions Committee has decided not to interview you for the Class of 2021""
first one!
7/11Aiyeeeeee, when were you complete/submission date? Maybe I'm next
What were your stats?7/11
liz 64.5, adequate ec, urmWhat were your stats?
The axe has fallen.
Rejected pre-II 🙁 first one of the cycle so it hurts.
I was complete 8/30/16 LM 60-63, OOS.
Good luck to everyone still in the running.
Sorry to hear :/ that turnaround seems really fast! You didn't mean 7/30 did you?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The axe has fallen.
Rejected pre-II 🙁 first one of the cycle so it hurts.
I was complete 8/30/16 LM 60-63, OOS.
Good luck to everyone still in the running.
Sorry to hear that, the first one is always the worst, but there is plenty of cycle left for IIs!!
It does seem like they had fast turn around for you, I have been complete since mid July and still nothing! Probably any day now...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today! Complete Aug. 30 with a sig. update Sept. 7. OOS.
What was the update?II today! Complete Aug. 30 with a sig. update Sept. 7. OOS.
I got a paid job at a clinic/medical office. Obviously, I'm not sure it played a factor in the interview invite.What was the update?
I see. What are your stats? Also no offense, but URM or ORM?I got a paid job at a clinic/medical office. Obviously, I'm not sure it played a factor in the interview invite.
II earlier today!!! Complete 8/7, LM=69, IS!!!
Did u receive the interview or attended it?II earlier today!!! Complete 8/7, LM=69, IS!!!
"II" stands for "Interview Invite"Did u receive the interview or attended it?
Can anyone recommend any of any activities/places to see while in town? I'mhere for a few days before my interview and just wanted to explore the town
Can anyone recommend any of any activities/places to see while in town? I'mhere for a few days before my interview and just wanted to explore the town
Depends what type of things you like! Scranton is known for being a coal town, with that said they had a pretty significant railroad system. The Steamtown National Historic Site is cool if you're into history. There's also a small museum up near Nay Aug park called the Everhart, infamous for the Pollock that was stolen several years back. The city also just started doing a bunch of escape rooms that I heard are pretty cool. http://www.electriccityescape.com/. Also if you like coffee or tea, Northern Lights is a cool spot to just sit and chill out.
Geisinger Health System just announced an agreement to purchase the school.
Saw that. Any disadvantages to this? Seems to be largely a benefit to the school, bringing financial stability thereby preventing future LCME probation periods
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just saw this in the paper. Wow incredible newsGeisinger Health System just announced an agreement to purchase the school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To put it simply, this deal brings more money into the school. It brings more research, both money and opportunities. It brings more places to rotate in third and fourth year at places with established residency programs.
From the perspective of a current or prospective student this is nothing but good news.
From the perspective of a current or prospective student this is nothing but good news.
To put it simply, this deal brings more money into the school. It brings more research, both money and opportunities. It brings more places to rotate in third and fourth year at places with established residency programs.
From the perspective of a current or prospective student this is nothing but good news.
As a current student I think the new merger's positives definitely out-way the negatives. As mentioned, the school will have financial stability and many more opportunities within the Geisinger health system. Not only does this mean more rotation opportunities third and fourth year but more research opportunities throughout all four years. On top of that, they are even considering adding another regional campus in Danville to do rotations at.
As far as residency and matching is concerned I think it helps a lot to put a well-established and renowned name connected to the school on apps and during interviews. It will also open the door to forming connections within the system that will be very valuable throughout your career even beyond residency.
The only possible negatives I see are a possible loss in the tight knit atmosphere at the school where currently students and faculty have a large say in school matters. With more bureaucratic oversight this may be restricted, though Geisinger has assured us that we will keep much of our autonomy and that they want to hear from us on how to improve the relationship and make sure everything works out.
TL;DR Most people at the school are excited about the new opportunities!
So does this mean that TCMC students will have "home program advantage" at Geisinger residency programs?
Everything the other current students shared is the same views I have as a current student. It only helps us. Danville is such a big hospital and has a ton of residency programs. I believe since that is our parent institution, we would have home program advantage for Geisinger Residency Programs. They got a ~2 million dollar grant to study genomics and human disease as well so that's a big area for research, especially for TCMC students.
Only disadvantage...the potential name change. Not sure if GCCM (assuming this is the name) rolls off the tongue as well as TCMC did.
Only disadvantage...the potential name change. Not sure if GCCM (assuming this is the name) rolls off the tongue as well as TCMC did.
So does this mean that TCMC students will have "home program advantage" at Geisinger residency programs?
Yeah, especially since the Dean will become an academic officer of the Geisinger program. The announcement can be found here: https://tcmc.edu/press_release/geisingercommonwealth/
Geisinger’s academic programs, including its residency training programs, will be integrated under the college. Dr. Scheinman will continue as president and dean and will also become the chief academic officer and executive vice president at Geisinger Health System. Employees of TCMC will also become employees of Geisinger.
Geisinger also has a variety of solid programs in EM, Ob/Gyn, surgery and IM and now that they own the school, it would be in their best interest that the students match (which is similar to other medical schools linked to hospital systems). . It was the only MD school in the state without such an affiliation, which might have made some people hesitant about the school so this is definitely nothing but great news to applicants.
Everything the other current students shared is the same views I have as a current student. It only helps us. Danville is such a big hospital and has a ton of residency programs. I believe since that is our parent institution, we would have home program advantage for Geisinger Residency Programs. They got a ~2 million dollar grant to study genomics and human disease as well so that's a big area for research, especially for TCMC students.
Only disadvantage...the potential name change. Not sure if GCCM (assuming this is the name) rolls off the tongue as well as TCMC did.
Yeah, especially since the Dean will become an academic officer of the Geisinger program. The announcement can be found here: https://tcmc.edu/press_release/geisingercommonwealth/
Geisinger also has a variety of solid programs in EM, Ob/Gyn, surgery and IM and now that they own the school, it would be in their best interest that the students match (which is similar to other medical schools linked to hospital systems). . It was the only MD school in the state without such an affiliation, which might have made some people hesitant about the school so this is definitely nothing but great news to applicants.
Good to know! 🙂 Current students must be stoked about this then!
Anyone just get an email? Pretty sure my heart skipped five beats...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
An e-mail about whatAnyone just get an email? Pretty sure my heart skipped five beats...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That email was plain cruel.Anyone just get an email? Pretty sure my heart skipped five beats...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Someone say what the email was! I didn't get an email
Someone say what the email was! I didn't get an email
Announcement letter about Geisinger Health System.
Announcement letter about Geisinger Health System.
Should I read into the fact that I didn't even get the announcement email? 🤔
haha
Just prepare yourself for an email that begins "Dear Laurenlee3, As an applicant of TCMC, I am pleased to share...."
Annnddddd, there it is.
+1 got excited for a few seconds lolAnnnddddd, there it is.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me after getting the email
They know that the waiting process can be boring so they wanted to add some excitement😏.Why on earth did they send us that e-mail...
