2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! You eased my paranoia. Good job doc.
You have THE BEST profile pic, btw!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my goodness... I submitted my fafsa back in November but didn't realize until today that there were additional financial aid documents that were due yesterday on March 2nd!

Rushing to fill it out now, but can any admitted applicants tell me how they found their UCD student ID? I couldn't find it in the applicant portal, acceptance letter or any other email Davis sent me.

I hope my financial aid package isn't too adversely affected :(

Oh my goodness... I submitted my fafsa back in November but didn't realize until today that there were additional financial aid documents that were due yesterday on March 2nd!

Rushing to fill it out now, but can any admitted applicants tell me how they found their UCD student ID? I couldn't find it in the applicant portal, acceptance letter or any other email Davis sent me.

I hope my financial aid package isn't too adversely affected :(

I'm in the same boat! I was selected for verification but I didn't see the email until last night! :(
Have you contacted the school? Do you know whether we can submit the documents now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing for Teach MS tomorrow?

any final II's being sent out? I know the last date is probably all filled up, but of course just checking :)

Anyone else interviewing for Teach MS tomorrow?
I hope your interview went well. Was it anything like the MMI or was it more traditional?

Reactions: 1 user
I hope your interview went well. Was it anything like the MMI or was it more traditional?
Thank you! It was super traditional and laid back, relatively short too!

I'm in the same boat! I was selected for verification but I didn't see the email until last night! :(
Have you contacted the school? Do you know whether we can submit the documents now?

Hey I'm gonna pm you!

Anyone know anything about the waitlist here? What is movement like? How many people are on it? Does Davis accept Letters of Interest/Intent?

Does anyone have advice for the interview? I know it's typical MMI, but the fact that it's like 2 hours seems horrible haha...

Does anyone have advice for the interview? I know it's typical MMI, but the fact that it's like 2 hours seems horrible haha...
It goes by very quickly! I wouldn't worry too much about anything other than being yourself. I ended up having fun :) I guess take this with a grain of salt, I haven't received an admissions decision yet and I don't feel too confident about it lol

It goes by very quickly! I wouldn't worry too much about anything other than being yourself. I ended up having fun :) I guess take this with a grain of salt, I haven't received an admissions decision yet and I don't feel too confident about it lol

Thank you!! I'll do my best.. I guess there's no point in stressing because I can't really prepare hah

The ONE thing that does stress me out is the fact that we're given only 1 minute to read the prompt... I had an insanely long MMI prompt before and it just was not enough time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! I'll do my best.. I guess there's no point in stressing because I can't really prepare hah

The ONE thing that does stress me out is the fact that we're given only 1 minute to read the prompt... I had an insanely long MMI prompt before and it just was not enough time!
I didn't encounter that problem at all during this MMI, but I definitely feel you. During other MMI interviews, I was under the gun trying to read full paragraphs before entering the room lol Good luck, I'm sure you'll be great!

Anyone here from the Feb 24th interview group heard anything back yet?

So I just received an invitation to interview for Rural PRIME (super excited!). Does anyone who has interviewed for the PRIME programs have any suggestions on how to prepare? Also, what should I expect (i.e. types of questions, traditional format, etc.)? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So I just received an invitation to interview for Rural PRIME (super excited!). Does anyone who has interviewed for the PRIME programs have any suggestions on how to prepare? Also, what should I expect (i.e. types of questions, traditional format, etc.)? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stats? I applied for that program too but silenceeeeeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stats? I applied for that program too but silenceeeeeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have never calculated my LM score, but moderate to decent stats. Honestly, I think UCD is more interested in who you are and how well you match their mission. At least that is the vibe I got when I interviewed back in November. Hopefully you hear back soon for the regular MD interview and shortly thereafter for the Rural PRIME program. Good luck!!!

Canceled my interview today. I hope it makes space for someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my fellow waitlisted hopefuls contemplating sending updates as this application cycle winds down, I just sent in an update that was acknowledged by the Office of Admissions and added to my file.

Since UC Davis seems to have only recently been accepting updates post-interview, here is their policy as well as instructions in writing, from both the FAQ section in the applicant portal and the Admissions Process page:

Q. Will I be able to send updates after submitting my secondary application?
Only when you are invited to interview will the Admissions Committee accept updates. All update MUST be sent via the Message Center in the applicant portal and follow the character count limit. Attachments and additional letters of recommendation will not be accepted.

Anyone know if UC Davis is done sending out interview invites?

I'm an undergrad at UCD and attended a workshop with the admissions committee for UCDSOM. They said they hardly had any waitlist movement last year and therefore reducing the size of the waitlist this year. If you get on the waitlist this year I'm assuming you might be in a better position compared to 2016! Sorry I hope this helps somewhat.

Other details:
-10 stations and 2 rest (I think)
-Include roleplay, scenarios, etc.
-Emphasize experiences more than metrics
-They said over and over again you can't prepare for the MMI's because they're so random.
-40+ people look at your application from start to finish
-They want people to be able to organize their thoughts in their responses and think quick on their feet

Last edited:
I'm an undergrad at UCD and attended a workshop with the admissions committee for UCDSOM. They said they hardly had any waitlist movement last year and therefore reducing the size of the waitlist this year. If you get on the waitlist this year I'm assuming you might be in a better position compared to 2016! Sorry I hope this helps somewhat.

Other details:
-10 stations and 2 rest (I think)
-Include roleplay, scenarios, etc.
-Emphasize experiences more than metrics
-They said over and over again you can't prepare for the MMI's because they're so random.
-40+ people look at your application from start to finish
-They want people to be able to organize their thoughts in their responses and think quick on their feet

Thanks for your info on the waitlist. I am on it and so are a few others based on this thread. I'm also dreading that it won't move at all this year either >.< but here's to hope.

REJECTED. I knew from the start of this cycle that it would be extremely difficult for me to get accepted to this school. Congratulations to those who have already been accepted, and best of luck to those on the waitlist!!! :)

REJECTED. I knew from the start of this cycle that it would be extremely difficult for me to get accepted to this school. Congratulations to those who have already been accepted, and best of luck to those on the waitlist!!! :)
Were you in the Feb 24 interview group?

Reactions: 2 users

When did you interview? Or was this a rejection post secondary no II?

I've been regularly checking this thread since June it's been real. Good luck everyone. Rejected pre-II just before 5pm

ACCEPTED JUST NOW. AHHH THANK YOU DEAN SOUSA FOR MAKING MY DAY!

Reactions: 11 users
Also got the phone call this morning! Davis is great and I could really feel the sense of community there. Boy this is going to be a tough decision for me - but I feel extremely fortunate to have options. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
Also got the phone call this morning! Davis is great and I could really feel the sense of community there. Boy this is going to be a tough decision for me - but I feel extremely fortunate to have options. Good luck to everyone :)

Congrats!!! How exciting. When did you interview?

Finally got my rejection yesterday pre-II after being complete since end of July. Totally expected at this point ha. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Thank you for being proactive and taking the time to give us this much needed insight. I wonder if they're both reducing the size of their waitlist and increasing their class size.
Good news is they're planning on accepting an extra ~10 applicants this year!
I've seen this information regarding the projected class size increase floating around. Perhaps this is referencing this article about PRIME-Rural from the UC Davis Health website titled More doctors and better health care: "As part of a long-range plan to increase medical school enrollments throughout the entire UC System, UC Davis plans to add 12 medical students per year over the next four years — from 93 to 105 students per class — with the new enrollees agreeing to a more rurally-focused curriculum and clinical experience." Also in the regent's long range plan for the Sacramento campus and the School of Medicine specifically: "For planning purposes, UC Davis plans to increase the average class size to 150 students by 2025 to address the need for additional physicians in California and elsewhere."

Thank you for being proactive and taking the time to give us this much needed insight. I wonder if they're both reducing the size of their waitlist and increasing their class size.

I've seen this information regarding the projected class size increase floating around. Perhaps this is referencing this article about PRIME-Rural from the UC Davis Health website titled More doctors and better health care: "As part of a long-range plan to increase medical school enrollments throughout the entire UC System, UC Davis plans to add 12 medical students per year over the next four years — from 93 to 105 students per class — with the new enrollees agreeing to a more rurally-focused curriculum and clinical experience." Also in the regent's long range plan for the Sacramento campus and the School of Medicine specifically: "For planning purposes, UC Davis plans to increase the average class size to 150 students by 2025 to address the need for additional physicians in California and elsewhere."
Very interesting, I didn't know it was such an official and long-term plan! I just heard Dr. Sousa briefly mention it on my interview day

Yes class size should be slightly bigger this year. They said they added around 8-10 more spots. Good luck and no problem! :)

Yes class size should be slightly bigger this year. They said they added around 8-10 more spots. Good luck and no problem! :)

But are those strictly only for rural prime or another track and not general UC Davis?

If you aren't accepted right away and were WLed or rejected, will we not hear until much later on? I haven't seen many rejections or waitlisted decisions post-interview.

If you aren't accepted right away and were WLed or rejected, will we not hear until much later on? I haven't seen many rejections or waitlisted decisions post-interview.

I got my WL a little over 2 weeks after my interview. From my understanding out of the 500 interviewees, they accept about 100, they waitlist about 100, and they reject everyone else. Based on last years thread, earliest movement off the waitlist was like mid-late April.