2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the JMP day, how many people interviewed with you? I was looking at some threads from a few years ago and it said usually there's only one per interview day, but from the e-mails sent it looks like there might be 5 on my day :rolleyes:.

They said they used to do 1 per day and have more dates. Instead they're doing the 6 dates with more people. It's more efficient.

There were 9 on my day, they said that was the biggest group they had. I think it's because we were all PRIME so they tried to group us together.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Also axed last night, one of the nicer emails for sure. Maybe for residency, UCSF :)

Reactions: 1 user
They said they used to do 1 per day and have more dates. Instead they're doing the 6 dates with more people. It's more efficient.

There were 9 on my day, they said that was the biggest group they had. I think it's because we were all PRIME so they tried to group us together.

I wonder how many they are going to interview total? I was under the impression that there would be around 65 of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many they are going to interview total? I was under the impression that there would be around 65 of us.

I don't know. They didn't say. I think I assumed 66-70 like other small programs. But I guess thinking about it, if they have 5-6 interviewees each date, and only 6 days total, then the total interviews is probably closer to 35-45, accounting for the few dates with more than 6.

Online it says they interview 60-80 and receive 100-150 applications. I heard only 16 people hold acceptances at one time? Idk

Does anyone know anything about second look weekend? When is it? And do they pay for us to fly out and whatnot?

Does anyone know anything about second look weekend? When is it? And do they pay for us to fly out and whatnot?

I can check and see if I can find out what the date is (I know it's been set), but they don't provide transit as far as I'm aware. You can apply to stay with a student for housing, but all other traveling expenses are yours to cover.

Any WL applicants receive a financial aid letter? Doubt it means anything but just checking in...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the letter. My mom thought it meant I was accepted lol

Woah, $200 million endowment from the Diller Foundation to help with student debt at UCSF.. absurdly generous

Reactions: 7 users
Those still waiting for a decision post-interview: Did you get the UCSF Pulse Today email as well?

Reactions: 4 users
anyone else in the 'just got WL'd by Stanford, time to rely on UCSF for any chance of staying in/moving to the Bay Area for med school' pool? *raises hand

Reactions: 1 users
It's only been 9 days post interview... wtf this is harder than I imagined.

Last edited:
The Helen Diller Foundation has donated $500 million dollars to UCSF ($200 million will go to students). Could this mean the scholarship packages may be bigger this year? (Thanks Helen!)

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2017/01/405476/largest-ever-gift-ucsf-honors-philanthropist-helen-diller

It's worth noting that current students were told that it will take 10 or so years for this money to actually be released to UCSF, if I'm recalling things correctly. Though I certainly wouldn't complain if scholarship packages were increased this year regardless...

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted just now, interviewed 1/6

Me too

I believe this is a good thing! UCSF has a lot of waitlist movement if I recall correctly.

We are still in the running which is definitely a good thing :) Fingers crossed for us!

Is it really that expensive to live in San Francisco?

Is it really that expensive to live in San Francisco?
Yeah! I was casually browsing apartment prices and it was $2.5k for a dinky studio apartment could only fit a dorm style fridge...

Does anyone know how long it takes for the JMP to make a decision? is it also 4-6 weeks?

@Ampharos how long did it take for you?

Based on MSAR, approximately 150 are waitlisted and 50 are accepted off of it.

Thanks for the sharing the data, I hope to be one of the 50 this year. Good luck everyone on the waitlist.

Any idea what percent of people get accepted off the waitlist?

If I remember correctly, of the interviewees, 1/3 accepted, 1/3 WL, 1/3 rejected. And I think the dean said that ultimately 50% of the people who interview get accepted? So 50%?

Reactions: 2 users
Just accepted to the JMP!! Cried like a baby on the phone, i think I made Tracey a little uncomfortable haha.

Interviewed 1/25

Reactions: 17 users