2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
11/22. My guess is they're just about done giving IIs and pre II rejections will all be out in the next week or two.

Axed today :( Completed secondary late November.

Was hoping to stay in California but it seems that it's not possible for me. Received secondaries from all UCs. Rejected from UCSF and silence from the rest still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have insight into when exactly the next wave of decisions is coming? I know I said 4-6 weeks (lol) but I was hoping for a more specific day?

Last edited:
Does anyone have insight into when exactly the next wave of decisions is coming? I know I said 4-6 weeks (lol) but I was hoping for a more specific day?
No one knows the exact day or hour. Additionally, I have heard from UCSF students that if other people from your interview day hear back before you, it doesn't mean that you are any higher or lower on rankings... it just means that not everyone on the committee was able to meet on "your" day and that your decision will come later.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected tonight pre-II :( complete in December. Fast turn-around time though. I definitely appreciate that...and the nicest rejection letter I've received to date.

Rejected tonight pre-II :( complete in December. Fast turn-around time though. I definitely appreciate that...and the nicest rejection letter I've received to date.

I'm sorry to heat that. If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete in December? I was also complete in December (received the secondary very late), not expecting much but I thought I'd ask!

I'm sorry to heat that. If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete in December? I was also complete in December (received the secondary very late), not expecting much but I thought I'd ask!
right in the middle of the month. best of luck!

ditto WL reg MD, interviewed Early Dec

Last edited:
For those WL, was it the first or second week of December did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still waiting for their pre-II reject? Complete early Oct and total silence

Reactions: 2 users
If I interviewed in mid-January when will I hear back?

If I interviewed in mid-January when will I hear back?
Dean W. said they try to let people know within a month or two. Having interviewed, mid-January, you probably won't hear back until around mid-February or March 1st.

But, they might surprise you. The best school in the world is full of them <3.

Reactions: 1 user
Just landed in San Francisco, so excited for the next couple days! Eeek everything looked so pretty from the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any hope for an II at this point? I feel like they've rejected a ton of people in the past few weeks and although I haven't gotten the axe just yet I imagine their interviews end soon/may all already be filled..?

Is there any hope for an II at this point? I feel like they've rejected a ton of people in the past few weeks and although I haven't gotten the axe just yet I imagine their interviews end soon/may all already be filled..?
+1

They're down to the last couple passes through the "maybe" list for sure, might just be holding off on the last rejects in case people cancel on their interview slots

Hey guys, at the JMP right now and it looks like their last interview day is 2/13 and it says "if necessary 2/27".

They have only had two interviews in Oct, 1 in Nov, 1 in Jan (today), and the ones I just mentioned above for Feb, just FYI.

Don't know about UCSF, they didn't mention how many interviews or invites are left yesterday.

Source: chart posted in JMP admissions office.

They're down to the last couple passes through the "maybe" list for sure, might just be holding off on the last rejects in case people cancel on their interview slots

lol who in their right minds would cancel an II from UCSF :slap:

(although I'm joking I'm certain there could be logistical/cost issues etc. etc. but still! UCSF!)

Does anyone know if II's for February have less of a chance at being accepted than earlier dates? Are February interviews competing for waitinglist slots?

two people I know got accepted after a February II without being waitlist.

But it's up to you if you get II. Unless you got accepted somewhere else and are quite settled and don't want the stress of interviews again, I wouldn't give up the II. For what it's worth UCSF doesn't play "mind games".

Last edited:
Anyone on WL planning to send letter of intent? Anyone advise it?

Just got the axe. Reject post-secondary, pre-II. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back.

I'm sorry. I'm sure some other school will work out for you guys :)
what were your secondary complete dates?

I'm sorry. I'm sure some other school will work out for you guys :)
what were your secondary complete dates?
Thank you! Surprised that I'm not too bothered; maybe it's because the letter was so kind? Regardless, I'm grateful to have had a pretty successful cycle thus far so no worries :)

Secondary complete in late August. Best of luck to all!

About the closed interview. I would say it's just like any other meet and greet thing which you may have done before. Ever talked to an Uber or Lyft driver and just got absorbed in a conversation? That's a UCSF interview. It'll be all about you but they do talk to you and not just ask you questions. When they do it's usually a follow up question. But again, the conversation can go anywhere, it'll mirror your character fairly well. During orientation Dean Wofsy basically said the interviewer's job is to recommend you to the Adcom, they are your cheerleaders.

In the end your decision is based on Adcom who reviews your entire app. But interviewers are your friends!

Cheers to my WL buddies (hopefully we all get in)

How do we go about sending post-interview updates?

Thanks for the insight! Yes they certainly don't play mind games, but I also thinks its unusual that the interviewer knows absolutely nothing about you before meeting...seems daunting!

It's actually an interview style that I prefer, because of its conversational nature. Imagine you have a one-hour "elevator pitch" to someone as to why you and your personal story are the best fit for the school and how the school fits you. You direct where the conversation goes, actively, instead of passively receiving questions. Also the post-II acceptance rate here is about 50%, which is phenomenal. :love:

Rejected last night. Good luck to you all!

Interviewed this week; if you're interested, I asked when we can expect decisions, and the admissions officer said 4-6 weeks after interview date, closer to 4 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected pre-II. Complete 9/13. Surprised to have lasted this long lol.
Cali lyfe ain't 4 me i guess

Hey guys, at the JMP right now and it looks like their last interview day is 2/13 and it says "if necessary 2/27".

They have only had two interviews in Oct, 1 in Nov, 1 in Jan (today), and the ones I just mentioned above for Feb, just FYI.

Don't know about UCSF, they didn't mention how many interviews or invites are left yesterday.

Source: chart posted in JMP admissions office.

For the JMP day, how many people interviewed with you? I was looking at some threads from a few years ago and it said usually there's only one per interview day, but from the e-mails sent it looks like there might be 5 on my day :rolleyes:.