2016-2017 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a main page for the Baylor/UTSW debate that is updated for the 2016-2017 cycle?
Baylor and UTSW are very similar schools, almost the exact same ranking, same reputation throughout the US and across Texas, very close to same tuition, very similar curriculum...
The way I see it, answer the following questions and go with your gut:
1. Houston or Dallas?
2. Which school's student body did you like best and where did you think you'd fit in best?
3. Are you used to public transportation or would you rather be able to drive and park everywhere easily (and cheaply)?
4. Was there anything you disliked at either school?
5. Anything you loved at either school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get 6 weeks of protected Step 1 study time, scheduled sometime between January and June of MS2. That way you get to decide whether you'd like to do a rotation first, or the 3 months of research (scholarly activity first), or go straight to Step 1, or do some electives... Lots of options.
Do you have some specific questions you're looking to get answered about Step 1 prep or just the general stuff? If you have specific questions I can put you in touch with an MS2 who's already taken Step 1.

I was just wondering considering I am comparing to UTHSCSA where they give you 5 months off for step prep. If you don't mind putting me in touch, ty!

I was just wondering considering I am comparing to UTHSCSA where they give you 5 months off for step prep. If you don't mind putting me in touch, ty!
5 months?? That's insanely long. One of our students did some research on Step 1 prep and found that around 5 to 6 weeks was ideal, and after that scores begin to drop.

Reactions: 1 users
There is one thread UTSW vs Baylor vs Drexel but it is not a very helpful thread. Which city do you like? To me, Dallas and Houston have very different personalities

I have three main priorities in this decision: 1. Which city will give me more of the things I love about Austin? (Outdoor activities like running trails and dog parks, music, breweries, food, coffee shops that aren't Starbucks) 2. Where will I receive more hands-on clinical experience/Where will prepare me for more competitive residency programs? 3. Where will I find more people that are interested in healthcare policy and advocacy work? (BCM has a healthcare economics and policy track that really speaks to me.)

I feel like the schools are SO similar in curriculum and student profile to the point where they cannot be compared...but I'd love to hear that I'm wrong! Both have a 1.5-year curriculum with a systems-based approach. Baylor has done the 1.5 years for 30 years according to their website while I believe UTSW's curriculum is newer? I could have my facts backward on UTSW, my interview was so long ago.

I have three main priorities in this decision: 1. Which city will give me more of the things I love about Austin? (Outdoor activities like running trails and dog parks, music, breweries, food, coffee shops that aren't Starbucks) 2. Where will I receive more hands-on clinical experience/Where will prepare me for more competitive residency programs? 3. Where will I find more people that are interested in healthcare policy and advocacy work? (BCM has a healthcare economics and policy track that really speaks to me.)

I feel like the schools are SO similar in curriculum and student profile to the point where they cannot be compared...but I'd love to hear that I'm wrong! Both have a 1.5-year curriculum with a systems-based approach. Baylor has done the 1.5 years for 30 years according to their website while I believe UTSW's curriculum is newer? I could have my facts backward on UTSW, my interview was so long ago.
You are correct about the curriculum, we are on year 2 of it, you would be in year 3. It's going really well, the administration here really listens to feedback so they've improved the new curriculum a lot between year 1 and year 2, and they are taking steps to address our class' comments before the next class gets here. At this point it's more minor changes.

For your #1, there are tons of running/cycling trails in Dallas, my husband and I have been exploring and we love it. Not sure about dog parks, I've seen some while cycling and walking around, but I don't really pay attention to those since I don't have a dog. TONS of dog owners here so I'm assuming there are many dog parks. Music and brewery scene here is great, lots of craft breweries around Dallas and tons of outdoor (and indoor) places to go drink good beer. I've been to a few concerts since I got here, the venues are very fun. The restaurant scene here is great, lots of people's favorites from Austin have opened restaurants in Dallas too. My husband and I go out for dinner once every week or two, and we have not been disappointed yet (actually we have, once... should've read the reviews before going... my bad). Coffee places... I personally loved Halcyon in Austin, and they opened in Dallas just a month ago!! So exciting. There are other non-Starbucks coffee options around Dallas, none super close to campus, but if you're willing to drive 15 minutes you can find some great coffee places for sure. Overall I am very pleasantly surprised by life in Dallas. It's a super active city, and there's always something to do. (I chose UTSW over Dell a year ago, so I compared Dallas and Austin extensively)

For clinical experience, we apparently get lots of hands-on experience here, especially at Parkland. I'm finishing first year so I haven't had the hugest exposure yet besides shadowing, and I'm in the LOOC program so once a week I go see patients at a private internal medicine clinic in South Dallas. We also see some patients through the Colleges system here.
3rd and 4th years talk at length about how much they loved the way UTSW treats med students on the wards. Once we are doing clinicals, we each get 1 to 2 patients, and they are our patient, we are responsible for everything, and an integral part of the team (apparently). We can write notes, place orders, and do pretty much everything (except it's all checked by non-med students of course).

As far as healthcare policy and advocacy work, there is a group of students here that shares your interest. I am more involved in welcoming applicants and new MS1s (August can't come soon enough!!), so I don't know a ton about policy. We have a few students doing some policy work in D.C. this summer though, as part of a program that UTSW sends a few students to every summer, I can put you in touch with one of them if you'd like? We also have an elective on healthcare economics and health policy. And we have some students who are involved in policy and advocacy work in fields they are interested in (for example the reproductive rights group recently went to Austin). Let me know if you want to be put in touch with someone who knows more about this topic than I do.

Only chiming in on the fun activities. There are multiple great coffee shops within 5-15 minutes from campus but not in walking distance or anything. It's kind of a problem for my coworkers and I. I can count 6 off the top of my head (see: ascension, oak lawn coffee, local press + brew, drugstore cowboy, houndstooth, and weekend). Additionally, there are always new shops popping up, and some great ones in some of the suburbs. There are also many dog parks and some dog friendly restaurants as well. The food in Dallas is amazing and I have tried to go to two or three new places a week which has been fun. Great dive bars nearby too if that's your thing (it's mine lol).

Only chiming in on the fun activities. There are multiple great coffee shops within 5-15 minutes from campus but not in walking distance or anything. It's kind of a problem for my coworkers and I. I can count 6 off the top of my head (see: ascension, oak lawn coffee, local press + brew, drugstore cowboy, houndstooth, and weekend). Additionally, there are always new shops popping up, and some great ones in some of the suburbs. There are also many dog parks and some dog friendly restaurants as well. The food in Dallas is amazing and I have tried to go to two or three new places a week which has been fun. Great dive bars nearby too if that's your thing (it's mine lol).
Casually gonna just write down all those recommendations for future use :p

Casually gonna just write down all those recommendations for future use :p

Oh man .. haha. I am full of recommendations. Hit me up if you need any more haha. :)

Local press+brew is adorable by the way and one of my favorite shops. Has an outdoor seating area with a small garden nearby and benches. And drugstore cowboys is a bar/coffee shop hybrid.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man .. haha. I am full of recommendations. Hit me up if you need any more haha. :)

Local press+brew is adorable by the way and one of my favorite shops. Has an outdoor seating area with a small garden nearby and benches. And drugstore cowboys is a bar/coffee shop hybrid.
You should check out Halcyon too. The space is gorgeous (both indoor and outdoor).
And they also have alcohol and food and coffee, which is so great. Once you're done studying you can get a little extra pick-me-up ;)

I decided to stick with Baylor. Best of luck to whoever gets that spot!

I DID check out local press + brew. The folks down there are super friendly, I would highly recommend any Dallas-bound students to check them out!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just gave up my spot. Would have loved to go here but logistically it just wasn't the best fit. Hope someone can make good use of my spot and be happy with it.

Good luck to all of you!

Does anyone know if Southwestern will still send out one more wave of acceptances before the June 1st deadline for those of us with an in state acceptance? It's cutting it awfully close now :(

Does anyone know if Southwestern will still send out one more wave of acceptances before the June 1st deadline for those of us with an in state acceptance? It's cutting it awfully close now :(

Last year, there didn't seem to be anyone getting off the waitlist on June 1st, or after for that matter. At least based on their sdn page. I'm basically in the same boat as you and have basically given up.

Last year, there didn't seem to be anyone getting off the waitlist on June 1st, or after for that matter. At least based on their sdn page. I'm basically in the same boat as you and have basically given up.
Well one in-state and one OOS student just decided against a WL offer this week, hang in there a bit longer!

Well one in-state and one OOS student just decided against a WL offer this week, hang in there a bit longer!

Yes, I bet they will send out one more wave of acceptances since the deadline they have me to respond was May 30. I have a current MS3 (almost MS4) friend who received her acceptance on June 1!

I got accepted off the waitlist today about a half hour ago~:clap::D. I can breathe now haha.

Reactions: 6 users
For those keeping track of data: I got the email around 8 PM! First acceptance in this two year process.... OOS (I probably got @Monkitty 's spot... thanks dude!)

Reactions: 5 users
Got off the waitlist yesterday as well!! Email came at around 6pm IS. So excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to all of you! Can't wait to meet you in August (or sooner).

Guess I was being too pessimistic because I got off the waitlist too!

Last edited:
congratulations to all of you who got in off the waitlist - I guess that's probably my last chance. I didn't get in off of the waitlist yesterday with you guys like I'd hoped but I'm still grateful to be going to an MD school in Texas. Best of luck to you all!

Congrats to everyone getting in off the waitlist! I'm still trying to remain optimistic that I can join you all, but for now, good luck to all of you!

congratulations to all of you who got in off the waitlist - I guess that's probably my last chance. I didn't get in off of the waitlist yesterday with you guys like I'd hoped but I'm still grateful to be going to an MD school in Texas. Best of luck to you all!
Where are you going, @krabbypattyburglar612 ?:cat:

For those of you who interviewed here, what did you answer for what 3 people you'd put on a panel for stem cell research?

For those of you who interviewed here, what did you answer for what 3 people you'd put on a panel for stem cell research?
Didn't get asked that. And don't know any stem cell researchers, so I would have been screwed.