2016-2017 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you or any other UTSW students happen to know when it's too late to find an apartment near the school? I'm still waiting on other schools' waitlists and I'm hoping to come off of them. Would apartment hunting in July be suicide?
Most places lease out 30-60 days in advance, as school would start the first week of August, you'd want to be signing a lease first week of July at the latest. That being said the waitlist will hopefully move with enough time for that. Also there are plenty of places to live, so the price may not be as ideal as if you moved in sooner, ultimately you should find something though. There are some resources of places to live for students and students on the facebook group can recommend places so you wouldn't necessarily need to look at a place in person, also a lot of places allow you to lease directly online.

Sorry to the person above who already answered this (didn't see that!)

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlist movement should start/become a bit faster now that we've passed the multiple acceptance deadline!

Reactions: 2 users
Got a call yesterday from a Dallas area number. My heart was racing as I picked up the phone. "Could this be it?" Turns out it was one of those car insurance scams. It should be illegal what they did to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call yesterday from a Dallas area number. My heart was racing as I picked up the phone. "Could this be it?" Turns out it was one of those car insurance scams. It should be illegal what they did to me.
I think they send emails.

Has anyone else's gateway essentially reset, such that you can't see any of your stats or status?

Has anyone else's gateway essentially reset, such that you can't see any of your stats or status?

Guessing it must be for the 2017-2018 app cycle. TMDSAS is already open so people can start submitting the secondary now too. Crazy that it's already time!

Guessing it must be for the 2017-2018 app cycle. TMDSAS is already open so people can start submitting the secondary now too. Crazy that it's already time!
Yes, mine is too. Is this happening only to waitlisted people or everyone?

Yup it should be for everyone. It happened to mine last year too, I was pretty freaked out (hadn't gotten in yet).
And they definitely email, no phone calls.

Yup it should be for everyone. It happened to mine last year too, I was pretty freaked out (hadn't gotten in yet).
And they definitely email, no phone calls.
Good, because I have terrible cell phone reception where I live lol

Work harder. Learn faster.

Just got accepted off the waitlist! I can't believe it, my #1 school!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What did the email say? Just curious lol

Thanks everybody! Can't wait to meet y'all. The email was pretty basic, 'pleased to offer you a seat in the class of 2021' stuff. I will say, the subject line of the email included that it was an acceptance offer, which helped resolve any possible ambiguity that my mind could concoct

Reactions: 1 users
So I haven't felt the medical school waiting game anxiety since right before the match until I had a couple friends get off the waitlist here on Tuesday. Still keeping my fingers crossed though since this is my #1 school! And congrats to those that got in!!

Reactions: 3 users
Also accepted off the waitlist earlier this week. Certainly made up for the wait list notification at Baylor earlier that morning.

UTSW was one of my favorite interview days, really liked the place.

Hey, everyone. I'm a current MS1 at UTSW. I just wanted to say congratulations to the accepted students and good luck to those of you with fingers still crossed. I look forward to meeting you in August!

Got off the waitlist as well. Hard choice between this and my alma mater.

Forgive me if this has been asked on previous pages, but does anyone have suggestions on looking for places? I'm married with 2 kids, so 3 bedrooms is ideal. I got a friend in Dallas that can help me look but I'm out of the country until May 20th so want to do as much research now as I can.

Forgive me if this has been asked on previous pages, but does anyone have suggestions on looking for places? I'm married with 2 kids, so 3 bedrooms is ideal. I got a friend in Dallas that can help me look but I'm out of the country until May 20th so want to do as much research now as I can.

Depends on what kind of commute you want. But I think Las Colinas is a good choice for families near UTSW.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree- we lived there during Med school - nice community easy commute

If your kids are school-aged you might want to look into the parts of Irving (Valley Ranch I think) that are in Coppell ISD. Maybe a little bit further away than Las Colinas but the school district is one of the top in DFW.

So I missed the 1st bus. Congratulations to everyone who made it! If you don't mind sharing, how much time did they give you to decide?

So I missed the 1st bus. Congratulations to everyone who made it! If you don't mind sharing, how much time did they give you to decide?
Until May 17, they send you a letter and an emailed form, you can respond with either

Thanks! So looks like next acceptances, if any would be after May 17.
Probably, unless a lot of people decline much faster, then another wave might come sooner. But usually people wait until the last minute unfortunately.

Does anybody with the MSAR subscription know what the stats are for the UTSW waitlist? Like how many are generally on the list each year and the number of people that get accepted from the waitlist...

Does anybody with the MSAR subscription know what the stats are for the UTSW waitlist? Like how many are generally on the list each year and the number of people that get accepted from the waitlist...

They didn't report that information to MSAR.

18 new people on the facebook group this week so it looks like there's quite a bit of waitlist movement!

Probably, unless a lot of people decline much faster, then another wave might come sooner. But usually people wait until the last minute unfortunately.
True! Also, I don't think anyone who just got off the waitlist will decline UTSW. Almost all will accept. There might be a few people who are already in but waiting to get off their 1st choice school's waitlist (which is not UTSW). But who knows when will that happen. As we approoach end of May the probability of getting off the waitlist diminishes.

I still cannot see my application status on mygateway. Is this bad news? Last year it came back to normal in a day.

Anyone have any idea if there are any more spots going out?

Anyone have any idea if there are any more spots going out?

Most likely one more (small) batch of acceptances will come out right before June 1st (that's when I got in last year). After that maybe a few more in early June but apparently the class is pretty much set when June starts.

Is there a main page for the Baylor/UTSW debate that is updated for the 2016-2017 cycle?

Congrats to everyone who got in!! If you don't mind me asking, what was the deadline that you have to give your answer back by? Trying to hold onto what little hope I have left lol

Congrats to everyone who got in!! If you don't mind me asking, what was the deadline that you have to give your answer back by? Trying to hold onto what little hope I have left lol
The e-mail didn't say! Which I think is strange, no? But I suppose that this is super short notice. I plan to decide in the next two days. More likely than not I will stick with Baylor.

@Groundhog123 Yes, in the email they said they would send a follow up "electronic" Acceptance Letter so I am assuming they will give us a date of when we have to reply by when that is sent. I will let you know when I receive the follow up email!

The e-mail didn't say! Which I think is strange, no? But I suppose that this is super short notice. I plan to decide in the next two days. More likely than not I will stick with Baylor.
There is one thread UTSW vs Baylor vs Drexel but it is not a very helpful thread. Which city do you like? To me, Dallas and Houston have very different personalities

They gave us till May 30 so there is still time before the deadline!

This maybe has been asked 100 times but what is the Step 1 prep like at UTSW??
We get 6 weeks of protected Step 1 study time, scheduled sometime between January and June of MS2. That way you get to decide whether you'd like to do a rotation first, or the 3 months of research (scholarly activity first), or go straight to Step 1, or do some electives... Lots of options.
Do you have some specific questions you're looking to get answered about Step 1 prep or just the general stuff? If you have specific questions I can put you in touch with an MS2 who's already taken Step 1.