2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From past posts, it seemed like the first indications went out Oct. 17, a day after the supposed Oct 16 notification date. Maybe nothing to expect until tomorrow.
Has anyone called to see if they could find out over the phone?

16th was a weekend date though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For all of you waiting so far, do you have the reviewed and on hold status or the interview complete status?

From past posts, it seemed like the first indications went out Oct. 17, a day after the supposed Oct 16 notification date. Maybe nothing to expect until tomorrow.
Has anyone called to see if they could find out over the phone?

will the tab just be on the left side under the "withdraw" section?

Shouldn't there be some sort of notification by now?

good point.... id like to think one out of 50 some of those accepted today would be on SDN though

It's probably more than 50. The total class size in the end will be around 200, but the general rule of thumb is that there are 2-3 acceptances for every seat. So they probably except at least 100 people each round.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably more than 50. The total class size in the end will be around 200, but the general rule of thumb is that there are 2-3 acceptances for every seat. So they probably except at least 100 people each round.
I think they mentioned that the extra people would be off the waitlist though

There seems to be a similar confusion in last year's thread. I won't be too worried for another day or two.
Last year, there were acceptance dates that disagreed w portal (not including weekends)?

sigh of relief

I hear they are somewhat stingy with their initial acceptances (so that would be actually 25% of their class and not the 2-3x), and the rest filling in from the waitlist, but idk.

I hear they are somewhat stingy with their initial acceptances (so that would be actually 25% of their class and not the 2-3x), and the rest filling in from the waitlist, but idk.
What I'm most worried about is something I heard where they only review/rank apps if you pass the MMI. If anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciated

What I'm most worried about is something I heard where they only review/rank apps if you pass the MMI. If anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciated

How long ago was your interview? For me there was a 2 week lag between my interview and the reviewed status.

I'm a bit confused by this though. At my interview, they specifically pointed out it was really hard to get off the waitlist as IS and easier as OOS, presumably because OOS students will go to their own state schools or a better fit school.

It was in mid Nov and I still have the interview complete status.

Hmm I had my interview around the same time but I thought they said that they would inform you pretty promptly if you were rejected on the portal? Honestly, I loved the school so much but their portal system isn't the best, so it could also be a glitch!

They didn't say. But I would imagine that when they go to decide where you are in the big ranked list of applicants, they must be looking at your whole app and not just the MMI. But maybe if you don't pass the MMI, they don't even bother doing a more holistic review? Who knows. :shrug:

When I interviewed they made it sounds like you get a score based off of 3 things (not sure if they are weighted evenly):

1. Stats (MCAT/GPA)
2. Scores given to your application pre-inerview by multiple independent reviewers (these scores contributed to their decision to interview you...but they are also factored into your overall score).
3. Your interview performance ( an accumulation off all MMI scores.

Good luck to everyone!

sooo we wait till tomorrow? at my interview dr. whitehurst-cook said decisions would come out dec 16 so hopefully tomorrow

Dec 16? Or 15? Pretty sure I remember it being 15 but I could be wrong
on the portal it says 15. but at the interview she was saying 16. i just assumed she was getting the date wrong off top of her head - but now i am thinking she meant exactly what she was saying!

Reactions: 5 users
Dec 16? Or 15? Pretty sure I remember it being 15 but I could be wrong

The hold for acceptance status says "We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 15, February 1, and March 16." So imo that sounds more like a tentative date and it could just as easily turn out to be that offers go out on December 16 (or maybe even early next week because they specifically mention not making offers on the weekend.)

Reactions: 2 users
I have the "very interested" status. Had it since September.

How long did you see a status change after you were complete? My application has been being "reviewed" since September and I'm wondering if I have any shot with this school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
How long did you see a status change after you were complete? My application has been being "reviewed" since September and I'm wondering if I have any shot with this school

I'll tell you what, the last student accepted gets a full scholarship. Maybe you are her!? Good luck!

I'm an M1 that was the last student admitted into the 2016 class and it's a common misconception that the scholarship is full ride. It is currently a one time payout for 10k, though they have tossed around ideas of increasing it...it doesn't sound like it will any time soon. Just wanted to clear that up so someone isn't wildly disappointed! Nonetheless, ten thousand is a ton of money. Good luck to all still waiting to hear. And be patient! I wasn't accepted until mid July

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an M1 that was the last student admitted into the 2016 class and it's a common misconception that the scholarship is full ride. It is currently a one time payout for 10k, though they have tossed around ideas of increasing it...it doesn't sound like it will any time soon. Just wanted to clear that up so someone isn't wildly disappointed! Nonetheless, ten thousand is a ton of money. Good luck to all still waiting to hear. And be patient! I wasn't accepted until mid July

Weird, because at our interview, the admissions staff definitely said that it is a full ride. Maybe that's why there is the misconception..

Reactions: 1 users

Submitted beginning of september, had the status at least by the end of the month (25th-ish). Hadn't checked portal before then.

are we going to hear back today or what? I might call admissions during my lunch break today and will let you guys know here.

Reactions: 8 users
are we going to hear back today or what? I might call admissions during my lunch break today and will let you guys know here.

They seem to release info after 6:30pm, based on last year's thread and the timing on 10/17 this year

I was just accepted. First acceptance. I am ecstatic to say the least and wish everyone the best. I just had a matriculation form appear on the left side of the portal along with a tab to pay the matriculation fee.

Reactions: 5 users
Weird, because at our interview, the admissions staff definitely said that it is a full ride. Maybe that's why there is the misconception..

Maybe they changed it this year! I hope they did for whoever receives it next! But it Seems kind of unlikely to be full ride considering it is currently funded by one man. Philanthropist of the year if that's the case haha

Matriculation form!!! gahhhh first acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if you can get accepted with the "interview complete" status? Or is that just a rejection? Interviewed on 11/19 and still have this status...

Anyone know if you can get accepted with the "interview complete" status? Or is that just a rejection? Interviewed on 11/19 and still have this status...

I interviewed 11/19 as well and have the same status! Not sure what that means...

So are we thinking that all of today's acceptances have already gone out? If so, congrats to everyone that got accepted! For the rest of us, I guess I'll see you all in February.