2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten passed over one round and then gotten in on the second round? Or is it likely that those of us in this situation will just need to wait until the Waitlist comes out?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten passed over one round and then gotten in on the second round? Or is it likely that those of us in this situation will just need to wait until the Waitlist comes out?

I feel like I read earlier on this thread or on last year's that people tend to get accepted at the first date they are eligible or end up on the waitlist. I can't find the actual post though, so maybe someone this year will have had a different experience.

Also, I think the matriculation form portal change happened late in the day in October. ~6pm, so don't worry if nothing changes throughout the day today. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like I read earlier on this thread or on last year's that people tend to get accepted at the first date they are eligible or end up on the waitlist. I can't find the actual post though, so maybe someone this year will have had a different experience.

Also, I think the matriculation form portal change happened late in the day in October. ~6pm, so don't worry if nothing changes throughout the day today. Good luck everyone!

On that note, has anyone gotten accepted / heard of an acceptance already?

Edit: Also, i'd like to add, what PatchA said about most likely being waitlisted if you're not accepted on the first eligible date isn't necessarily true. Perhaps it's true on average, since many more people interview than are ultimately accepted, but last cycle and this cycle I know several people who were accepted pre-waitlist and interviewed in early fall. Some were re-applicants, some weren't.

The committee gives you a rank which determines when you will be accepted. As other accepted candidates drop out due to acceptances from other schools, you move up the list.

GL everyone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"Interview complete" status, interviewed 1/28.

Info from my II date and from lurking previous years' threads, take it with a grain of salt:
1. You are presented to committee on a Monday by one committee member (how this person is chosen is a mystery to me), ~2 weeks from your interview date.
2. Your average (mean) score from all MMI stations is calculated. Performance on individual stations is not considered.
3. You either pass or fail the II. If you fail, you are rejected post-II. If you pass, the committee reviews your entire file including MCAT/GPA, MMI score, and ECs. Not sure if more weight is given to MMI score at this point or if it's fairly holistic.
4. You are assigned an overall priority score from 1 (highest) to 5 (lowest). Applicants with scores of 4 or 5 tend to be rejected post-II while 1-3 tend to get put on hold. People on hold are typically accepted or waitlisted, but can also be rejected.
5. The waitlist is usually formed by end of March. There are separate IS vs. OOS waitlists. Very little movement on the IS side, quite a bit on the OOS side. MSAR says waitlist has 100 spots but I saw a post where the person said the waitlist was long enough to "fill the class over twice" so I'm not sure which is right.

Importantly:
1. Only updates concerning new grades or publications are accepted.
2. Regularly check your online portal! Many, if not most, people don't receive status change emails.
3. Decisions have historically been released after 6:30PM EST on each day of acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Anybody else getting a server error when trying to login to the portal?
My page just reads:
"The resource cannot be found.
TTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

My page just reads:
TTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."
Are you trying to do this on a mobile device? If so, hold down the refresh button and request desktop site when prompted

My page just reads:
This happened on my desktop at work- I just waited a bit and tried a different link. I think it was because I was still signed into the dashboard, but tried to access the login page directly. It might not reroute automatically and force that error?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys...scroll up. Two posts on this page telling you those don't show up before 6/6:30pm EST. Deep breaths

On Dec 16, which was the day after decisions were supposed to be released, people got status changes before noon. I remember distinctly because I was volunteering at the time and couldn't login on my phone and had to wait later that day to check.

A matriculation and enrollment fee tab just showed up. Does this mean I got in???

Reactions: 5 users
A matriculation and enrollment fee tab just showed up. Does this mean I got in???

Well there you go haha

But yeah, that's exactly what it means!

EDIT: Congrats, btw! Haha

Also just checked and found a matriculation tab! IS, interview early Jan., LizzyM 73.

No change to status though...that's still an acceptance, yes?

Thank you!!! Should I expect something more formal later tonight??

Congrats!! What does your status say currently? And when did you interview?

Also just checked and found a matriculation tab! IS, interview early Jan., LizzyM 73.

Congrats!! What does your status say currently?

Does anyone know if they do acceptances in a wave or if you don't see the tab right now...that means you have been passed over?

Woohoo congrats to those accepted!! In past waves, people have gotten accepted up to a day later so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. We still have the March 16th day left as well.

On Dec 16, which was the day after decisions were supposed to be released, people got status changes before noon. I remember distinctly because I was volunteering at the time and couldn't login on my phone and had to wait later that day to check.

same lol. I've been creeping this thread since oct 16 when first decision came out. even on dec 15 people got them from 11am-2pm or so

Does anyone know if they do acceptances in a wave or if you don't see the tab right now...that means you have been passed over?

Thank you! My status updated this morning from "your interview is complete" to
"The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above."

Thank you! My status updated this morning from "your interview is complete" to
"The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above."

Thanks. Does it also say this underneath it?

"Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status......"

My status just changed but without an email. I would check again! Congrats!

Thanks. Does it also say this underneath it?

"Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status......"
Yes, sorry, should have included the ellipsis!

I interviewed November 1. OOS applicant. "The Admissions Committee of the School of Medicine of the Virginia Commonwealth University, is pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to the Freshman Class beginning in August 2017."

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed November 1. OOS applicant. "The Admissions Committee of the School of Medicine of the Virginia Commonwealth University, is pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to the Freshman Class beginning in August 2017."

Nice! So I thought people from Nov 1 were supposed to hear back on Dec 15.. Did you hear anything back from them on Dec 15?

Nice! So I thought you people from Nov 1 were supposed to hear back on Dec 15.. Did you hear anything back from them on Dec 15?
Nope I didn't hear anything on Dec 15 even though my application had already been reviewed. I got very nervous and just assumed I was rejected so this is a huge relief! I think you can hear back on any of those dates they have listed.

Thank you!!! Should I expect something more formal later tonight??
I was accepted in October, and the most formal thing I have gotten is a portal change to say that I have paid my matriculation fee, and they are holding a spot for me in the class. When I called the admin office about this a few weeks ago, it seemed like more official stuff comes post the wait-list formation in March

Just checked my portal and I have this status:
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

It appears I may get an II sometime soon, but I have been fortunate enough to receive a couple acceptances elsewhere so I will likely withdraw.

I interviewed 01/18 and never got the interview complete status... should I think much of that? Still on the status where it says I'm scheduled

No tabs for me. Third time getting passed over since interviewing in November. Wait list here I come haha

Hold status reads:
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

II this morning. Don't have any dates available at the moment.. so I contacted admissions.

I got an interview yesterday but they did not tell me anything regarding the interview. If anyone who has already interviewed here could give me a general idea of how the interviews go (how many minutes they give us to collect thoughts and how much we have to talk for), that would be very much appreciated!
Congrats! are you IS or OOS?

SIKE! I just rechecked my status when I got home from work and I've been accepted!!

Edit: No phone call, no status change email, just checked my portal!

Reactions: 5 users
Hold status reads:
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

SIKE! I just rechecked my status when I got home from work and I've been accepted!!

Edit: No phone call, no status change email, just checked my portal!

Congrats!!!

When did you see the hold status vs the acceptance status you just saw now?

I got an email this am (around 6am?) that my status had changed: it changed from interview complete --> hold status. Then I just checked a few minutes ago on a whim and had the matriculation tab!

Had anyone looked into scholarships? Their website indicates that institutional scholarships are available by submitting through NeedAssist but the link doesn't work