2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey classmate,

I was offered admission and I paid the fee and completed the matric form. I have the PDF receipt, but no email confirmation. My portal still says the same thing as before (Congratulations, offer admission, welcome to VCU etc.)

When I go into the "Pay enrollment fee" there is no evidence there that I paid, and it looks like I could pay again if I wanted.

How does your portal look/did you receive an email confirmation?
It still looks like I could pay again if I wanted! I did get the status change to reflect payment, though. Never got a congratulations/acceptance message.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, happy new year! I'm an M2 at VCU. Congratulations to those who have been accepted- it is a major accomplishment that deserves a celebration! To those still waiting, don't give up hope...I wasn't accepted until July. And to those who weren't accepted, I hope you found some love in a different school. Anyway, I'm here to answer any questions you may have about VCU, general med school questions, lifestyle things, waitlist. Really anything. It's always nice to hear it from a student who isn't trying to "sell you". Shoot me a message if you want to know anything!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else's interview date get moved up? I scheduled a 2/14 interview and they called me to move it to 1/11 o_O

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing tomorrow or this week (or really, anytime) know the protocol for interview cancellations due to snow? VCU is closed today due to this weekend's storm, there's no info on the answering message about interviews, and the office won't be open until the time we are supposed to be there for the interview tomorrow. I haven't received any emails from them regarding the interview (just portal info)--any thoughts?

Anyone interviewing tomorrow or this week (or really, anytime) know the protocol for interview cancellations due to snow? VCU is closed today due to this weekend's storm, there's no info on the answering message about interviews, and the office won't be open until the time we are supposed to be there for the interview tomorrow. I haven't received any emails from them regarding the interview (just portal info)--any thoughts?

Hmmm I'm interviewing Wednesday, I haven't heard anything about weather cancellations

The VCU twitter says that the university will be re-opening at 11 am tomorrow.

Yep, I did that. You email it to this address: [email protected]

I got an email back less than an hour later, which was really impressive.
hey i know this was awhile ago but what did you update them on? was it activities and ECs or something more significant like a publication? trying to decide what is worth an update

hey i know this was awhile ago but what did you update them on? was it activities and ECs or something more significant like a publication? trying to decide what is worth an update
They only accept updates if they are about new grades or publications.

dang thats unfortunate haha is there somewhere you saw this like on the website or an email?
I've sent them 2 updates so far. They accepted the first one because it contained a publication. They didn't accept the second one because it was about a new job. You can email updates to anyone on the adcom faculty page. They will reply in an email telling you exactly what I told you lol

I've sent them 2 updates so far. They accepted the first one because it contained a publication. They didn't accept the second one because it was about a new job. You can email updates to anyone on the adcom faculty page. They will reply in an email telling you exactly what I told you lol
hahah ah dang alright well thanks for letting me know! are you also pre-II right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone tried to email admissions to ask about your app status? i remember a couple people on here did with no reply but was wondering if anyone had any luck...IS applicant over here doing my best to stay hopeful and patient!

has anyone tried to email admissions to ask about your app status? i remember a couple people on here did with no reply but was wondering if anyone had any luck...IS applicant over here doing my best to stay hopeful and patient!
You're not suffering alone! I was complete late July and…silence. I've called, and they just say my application is going through the process or system just fine, yada yada. They're very nice, but they give no closure whatsoever. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
You're not suffering alone! I was complete late July and…silence. I've called, and they just say my application is going through the process or system just fine, yada yada. They're very nice, but they give no closure whatsoever. Lol
haha glad to not be struggling alone! what does your current status say on the portal?

haha glad to not be struggling alone! what does your current status say on the portal?
Why, it says the dreaded "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
How about yours? Any idea how many interview slots or dates are left, or if we should give up hope?

Has anyone tried sending an in the area request or know if they accept them? Thanks!

Hey all, happy new year! I'm an M2 at VCU. Congratulations to those who have been accepted- it is a major accomplishment that deserves a celebration! To those still waiting, don't give up hope...I wasn't accepted until July. And to those who weren't accepted, I hope you found some love in a different school. Anyway, I'm here to answer any questions you may have about VCU, general med school questions, lifestyle things, waitlist. Really anything. It's always nice to hear it from a student who isn't trying to "sell you". Shoot me a message if you want to know anything!

Hey thanks for doing this. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.
1) how often do you have exams ?
2) do you know if all rotations happen at MCV ? or are we required to go to other hospitals?
3) what is one thing you dislike about VCU?
4) what's the housing situation like in Richmond? is it easy to find affordable apartment near the school/hospital? how much are you paying currently and how far do you live?(if you don't mind me asking)
5) when do classes start?
6) does VCU require a drug test prior to admission ? and when do accepted students receive their acceptance packages ? and financial aid packages?

Thank you so much for doing this!

I second the above questions!

Also, it looks like VCU recommends windows, but can/do people use macs?

Thanks for doing this!

My status updated to this today:
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Been complete since Sept. Lol so vague. "We maaaaay interview you if we have time" sigh.

4) what's the housing situation like in Richmond? is it easy to find affordable apartment near the school/hospital? how much are you paying currently and how far do you live?(if you don't mind me asking)

Not a med student at VCU, but I am a VCU alum who is renting a house in Richmond, so I can give some insight for this part of your question. Downtown housing (where the med school is located) can vary...I've seen prices as low as the $600s and I've seen prices as high as $1000+. You've got to hunt around but generally anything downtown will be walking distance to the school (no more than 15 minute walk). On the Monroe Park side of campus (the undergrad side of Richmond) there are a lot of housing options. You could find a house with 2-3 roommates and pay as low as $450 or you could find an apartment that would generally be around $700-$800. The large library (Cabell) is located on the Monroe Park campus, and I've seen a lot of med students go there to study. There is a VCU bus that runs between the two campuses, so it makes traveling back and forth between campuses more bearable.

Most of my M1 friends live downtown though.

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Finally got this status after waiting since August. What are my chances as an OOS with a LM of 68?

Still unreviewed, complete back in July. I'm pretty sure my application was shredded in order to be used as bedding for the dean of admission's hamster cage.

Reactions: 9 users
Still unreviewed, complete back in July. I'm pretty sure my application was shredded in order to be used as bedding for the dean of admission's hamster cage.

Same exact boat, trying not to lose hope

Same here! There's no way they can't have looked at them yet, right???? It's been 6 months...

Anyone know what my chances of getting an interview are... I've had the review is complete and we will let you know message since July.

Applied with 3.602 GPA and 518 MCAT; IS

Anyone know what my chances of getting an interview are... I've had the review is complete and we will let you know message since July.

Applied with 3.602 GPA and 518 MCAT; IS
just by looking at your numbers, I would think you have a great shot, especially being IS. However, I personally can't say much bc all I have learned throughout this process is how unpredictable it is. That being said, I wish you the best of luck and hope they are saving some IS love for the both of us!

My status updated to this today:
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Been complete since Sept. Lol so vague. "We maaaaay interview you if we have time" sigh.
Did you get an email about the change or did you just happen to check the portal?

Did you get an email about the change or did you just happen to check the portal?
I just happened to check the portal. But I check it every day - so definitely something that changed in the last 24 hours!

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Finally got this status after waiting since August. What are my chances as an OOS with a LM of 68?

Hard to tell, I reckon. I've had this status since late November. I'm IS with a LM of 67. It seems like some people have gotten II later on from this, and some have been rejected. Best to the both of us!

Reactions: 2 users
Why, it says the dreaded "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
How about yours? Any idea how many interview slots or dates are left, or if we should give up hope?
haha I had this one for quite some time and then went to the "your file review is now complete...well be in touch if you get an interview" :/ but hopefully being IS and my decent stats will eventually result in an II haha but trying not to lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who has been accepted to VCU heard anything back form them? An official facebook page, or any direction to submit immunizations or anything at all? Any news to accepted students?

Has anyone who has been accepted to VCU heard anything back form them? An official facebook page, or any direction to submit immunizations or anything at all? Any news to accepted students?
+1, I am wondering this as well.

How do we know if we have a morning or afternoon interview slot? The portal lists the times morning and afternoon interviews conclude, but I'm not sure how to tell which I have based on my date.

How do we know if we have a morning or afternoon interview slot? The portal lists the times morning and afternoon interviews conclude, but I'm not sure how to tell which I have based on my date.
I have the same question. My portal says:
You are expected to arrive at 8:00 a.m.; however, if your interview is scheduled in the afternoon, you are expected to arrive at 10:00 a.m. in the Admissions Office
Does that mean I have a morning or an afternoon interview?

really weird at my interview there was just an 8am session. my status said nothing of an afternoon session

Can somebody please share their experience about the interview day? Stressful or laid-back? Are interviews open-, semiopen- or closed-file? Were they more like Q&A or conversational?
Thanks

Can somebody please share their experience about the interview day? Stressful or laid-back? Are interviews open-, semiopen- or closed-file? Were they more like Q&A or conversational?
Thanks
The interview was MMI, so I believe it was all closed file. Some of the interviewers I felt asked a lot of probing follow-up questions, but I don't know, maybe that was just because I didn't elaborate very much in my initial answer. It's not in my nature to ramble on and on. Most of them were pretty conversational, though. The MMI was the first thing we did in the morning after arriving, so the rest of the day was very relaxed. The info session, lunch, and tour were all student-led, so we could ask them any questions.

Thanks
I had a morning interview so we did our MMIs first thing. It was stressful for me at first, since I had never done an MMI, but once I got into a groove it went well. My interviews were definitely more Q&A style. The rest oft he day was really fun, great tours of the school and hospital and the med students are very helpful!

think this was answered but do they accept update letters? Thank you!

Has anyone tried sending an in the area request or know if they accept them? Thanks!
would also like to know this, anyone have experience and or success sending an ITA?

Hey thanks for doing this. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.
1) how often do you have exams ?
2) do you know if all rotations happen at MCV ? or are we required to go to other hospitals?
3) what is one thing you dislike about VCU?
5) when do classes start?
6) does VCU require a drug test prior to admission ? and when do accepted students receive their acceptance packages ? and financial aid packages?

Thank you so much for doing this!

1) every 2-3 weeks for science courses. sometimes the longitudinal courses fall in between or near other exams
2) i dont think you are required to go to other hospitals, but you have the option (unlike UVA where you have to do outside rotations)
3) i dislike the quartile ranking system, but it really isnt that big of a deal, and it may be going away with the next class and new dean that is starting
4) Richmond is really affordable. if you want a good location, you are going to pay more. i live about 6 minute drive away. I would recommend getting a roommate. a lot of people live in the shockoe bottom/church hill area and are within walking distance, and are all gentrified in the past few years. if you want to get a house, there are options a little further out. the drive/traffic isnt bad at all. I am different than most... married with a mortgage. but you can find a decent place to live for 5-800 a month, depending on how lavishly you want to live
5) classes start very end of july/first week august
6) drug testing required before starting rotations. not sure what you mean by an acceptance package? FA was the first week (after we started - kind of sucked)

I know these questions werent directed towards me, but i have been keeping an eye on this thread. let me know if you want to know anything else

Last edited:
I second the above questions!

Also, it looks like VCU recommends windows, but can/do people use macs?

Thanks for doing this!

I would say the class is half and half. I think the windows/mac issue may be more prevalent when it comes time for your SHELF exams in third year. Until Apple has a touch screen set up as good as other laptops, I am sticking with HP/microsoft :) touch screen is HUGELY beneficial for med school

How often does VCU typically send out interview invites? Has there been any sort of trend? Ive been complete since August and haven't even been reviewed yet....

Reactions: 5 users
"Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Finally got this status after about 6 months.. fingers crossed!