2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) every 2-3 weeks for science courses. sometimes the longitudinal courses fall in between or near other exams
2) i dont think you are required to go to other hospitals, but you have the option (unlike UVA where you have to do outside rotations)
3) i dislike the quartile ranking system, but it really isnt that big of a deal, and it may be going away with the next class and new dean that is starting
4) Richmond is really affordable. if you want a good location, you are going to pay more. i live about 6 minute drive away. I would recommend getting a roommate. a lot of people live in the shockoe bottom/church hill area and are within walking distance, and are all gentrified in the past few years. if you want to get a house, there are options a little further out. the drive/traffic isnt bad at all. I am different than most... married with a mortgage. but you can find a decent place to live for 5-800 a month, depending on how lavishly you want to live
5) classes start very end of july/first week august
6) drug testing required before starting rotations. not sure what you mean by an acceptance package? FA was the first week (after we started - kind of sucked)

I know these questions werent directed towards me, but i have been keeping an eye on this thread. let me know if you want to know anything else

By Acceptance package I meant, when does VCU communicate with its accepted students in a more detailed way other than the vague way of communication they have through the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

"Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Finally got this status after about 6 months.. fingers crossed!
i hope this status means we still have a chance at an interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete late July/early Aug and still have the under review status. Not sure what to make of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was complete mid July, so also really early. I can't imagine a 6 month turnaround is very good, but better than nothing I suppose.

By Acceptance package I meant, when does VCU communicate with its accepted students in a more detailed way other than the vague way of communication they have through the portal?

I was accepted in October and haven't gotten anything more than the portal update. I called them m to ask about a few things and they said that we would get more communication later on, but that they are still in the middle of the cycle so they haven't gotten to setting up all the matriculant stuff just yet.

Last edited:
I was accepted in October and haven't gotten anything more than the vague portal update. I called them last week to ask about a few things and they said that we would get more communication later on, but that they are "still in the middle of the cycle" so they haven't gotten to setting up all the matriculant stuff just yet.
does this mean there are still a decent amount of IIs to be sent out?

does this mean there are still a decent amount of IIs to be sent out?

It sounded more colloquial than actually saying they were 50% done with interviews. I think the last day when they give out acceptances prior to putting together the waitlist in is March, so I'd bet that they are more than halfway through interviews. Really though, it's anybody's guess.

I think it's like march where they start assigning V numbers and all that other acceptance/attendee stuff... no worries - it'll happen.

withdrew my app. This seems like a great school. Would have definitely interviewed here had I not gotten into my top choice. Hope someone who loves the school gets this interview

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning. OOS. I hadn't checked the portal since applying in July. Only date available was 2/1. Unfortunately, flights are too expensive with such short notice.

Withdrew my application today. Can't justify taking an interview invite from this school after being accepted to my top choice. Hopefully one of you guys will get it! Best of luck to everyone.

II this morning. Don't have any dates available at the moment.. so I contacted admissions.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember Dr. Whitehurst-Cook saying that the committee was meeting today but I'm not sure if we get any sort of confirmation .
I believe the committee meets on Mondays to discuss the interviewed applicants, but offers are sent around "Oct. 16, Dec. 15, Feb. 1 and March 16." (according to VCU SOM website-FAQ section). From what I understand, applicants who have been interviewed either PASS (receive hold status for a possible acceptance or waitlist) or FAIL (rejected post-interview). The waitlist is formed in early April after all interviews are complete. MSAR tells me the waitlist is 100-people strong but I remember reading somewhere on this thread that the waitlist is longer. Either way, there seems to be good movement on the waitlist, especially for the OOS crowd. Best of luck to all of us! If anyone has tips about the MMI style that VCU has now adopted, please comment here or pm me - I'm interviewing this Saturday and would be very grateful for any advice :luck:

I believe the committee meets on Mondays to discuss the interviewed applicants, but offers are sent around "Oct. 16, Dec. 15, Feb. 1 and March 16." (according to VCU SOM website-FAQ section). From what I understand, applicants who have been interviewed either PASS (receive hold status for a possible acceptance or waitlist) or FAIL (rejected post-interview). The waitlist is formed in early April after all interviews are complete. MSAR tells me the waitlist is 100-people strong but I remember reading somewhere on this thread that the waitlist is longer. Either way, there seems to be good movement on the waitlist, especially for the OOS crowd. Best of luck to all of us! If anyone has tips about the MMI style that VCU has now adopted, please comment here or pm me - I'm interviewing this Saturday and would be very grateful for any advice :luck:
hey where on MSAR do you see the waitlist numbers/data for a school?

Has anyone been able to watch the Virtual Open House videos? Been trying to get them to load. Thought it was my internet, but I'm not so sure.

How do we know if we have a morning or afternoon interview slot? The portal lists the times morning and afternoon interviews conclude, but I'm not sure how to tell which I have based on my date.

Hi! I interviewed here recently and was also unsure of am/pm interview details (as were others present at interview). Obviously, I am not the powers that be in this context, so I cannot promise for your interview but I can tell you that we were not split into two interview groups; we all interviewed at about 9am.

I've never posted on sdn, but I thought I would share about my own VCU interview experience. It was both positive, and informative--and really, it was as informative as you wanted it to be--all faculty and students were receptive to questions, and shared honestly any insight they could provide. I hope this information will serve to ease any anxiety built up about their interview:

I should also add that I had the opportunity to tour the Inova Campus the day prior to my interview. Once again, this was an informative and incredibly positive experience. I recommend it to anyone who wants to be well-aware of the opportunities offered by VCU, but especially to those like myself, for whom the Inova Campus would be considered "close to home." Happy to answer any messages received about this campus, but recommend actually taking the opportunity if/when you are offered an interview.

**If you are driving into Richmond, I suggest looking at a map in advance in order to identify the visitor parking garage OR, leave yourself a good 15 minutes to try. It's on 11th street.**

The day began in a conference room at 8am, and for the first half-hour, we sat and mingled until Dr. Michelle Whitehurst-Cook, the Associate Dean of Admissions, came in to give us an introduction, an in-depth explanation of the MMI format, and the opportunity to ask questions. Dr. Whitehurst-Cook has a sort of "zen" quality about her, she speaks softly, but is clear and forthright. We did deep-breathing exercises before going to the interview and the way she prepared us for our interview gave me the impression that she wanted us to feel calm enough such that we were able to deliver the contents/characteristics of our best-selves to a total of (I believe it was) 9 interviewers.

9 interviews were the standard--2 minutes to read prompt, followed by 8 minute response with interviewer--where interviewers included faculty and students of the school of medicine, and staff of the HR department. However, as stated in the portal, the initial interview prompt is a traditional interview question and after 2 minutes to read prompt, you are given 16 minutes to respond with interviewer.

Regarding probing questions by interviewers, I think "probing" is an inappropriate descriptor in this context. These are not used to elicit anything other than your thorough and direct response to the prompt. I was grateful for these "follow-up" questions, as they kept me on track and allowed me to give them what they needed from me (or atleast try).

You break after 4 prompts for water/pee etc, and begin again to completion. I think it was a result of my nerves, but I was absolutely exhausted after the interviews. I would suggest to bring along glucose in a quick and easy form for consumption--just to feed the ol' brain and keep you engaged. Not necessary, but it was a good time for a boost in retrospect. After interviews, you sit with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and a few MS4s who share with you their experiences on their education and any specific programs they were part of, details on admissions process, and offer you time to ask questions.

Following, you eat lunch with some MS2As (the A is a designation which derives from VCU's condensed pre-clinical years) and they then take you on a tour--which was pretty fun because the facilities you might use are sprinkled throughout downtown Richmond. **I never eat chicken--it creeps me out--but hot damn was that chicken wrap delish!** The students were kind, relateable, and I felt treated as their peer, nothing less--a sentiment I haven't found guaranteed in this process--need I say, a process more often demoralizing and disheartening. After that, we were free to go.

The above is for the most part an objective explanation. The portal tells the truth, and the VCU med website is there to provide you with all the program specifics you likely want to know, should you be invested enough in VCU to look. I did not go to interview day in hopes of more information, but rather for me, it served as illustration to validate my prior assumption; being that VCU was a place from which I would be honored to receive my undergraduate medical education, in a community where I could serve my fellows, side by side my fellows.

I wish sdn could be a place of more objectivity, positivity, and empowerment to others in this process. Do not lose hope if you are discouraged; remember, this road is long. Whether you have been accepted somewhere now, or 3 years from now, the road is long, full of peaks, valleys, hope, and at times despair and profound disappointment. I sometimes have to remind myself that when all this began, I believed in myself. In fact, I have to remind myself quite often; but, atleast I am certain I am in the right place. So, best wishes to all--now and along the road to come.

Reactions: 13 users
Hi! I interviewed here recently and was also unsure of am/pm interview details (as were others present at interview). Obviously, I am not the powers that be in this context, so I cannot promise for your interview but I can tell you that we were not split into two interview groups; we all interviewed at about 9am.

I've never posted on sdn, but I thought I would share about my own VCU interview experience. It was both positive, and informative--and really, it was as informative as you wanted it to be--all faculty and students were receptive to questions, and shared honestly any insight they could provide. I hope this information will serve to ease any anxiety built up about their interview:

I should also add that I had the opportunity to tour the Inova Campus the day prior to my interview. Once again, this was an informative and incredibly positive experience. I recommend it to anyone who wants to be well-aware of the opportunities offered by VCU, but especially to those like myself, for whom the Inova Campus would be considered "close to home." Happy to answer any messages received about this campus, but recommend actually taking the opportunity if/when you are offered an interview.

**If you are driving into Richmond, I suggest looking at a map in advance in order to identify the visitor parking garage OR, leave yourself a good 15 minutes to try. It's on 11th street.**

The day began in a conference room at 8am, and for the first half-hour, we sat and mingled until Dr. Michelle Whitehurst-Cook, the Associate Dean of Admissions, came in to give us an introduction, an in-depth explanation of the MMI format, and the opportunity to ask questions. Dr. Whitehurst-Cook has a sort of "zen" quality about her, she speaks softly, but is clear and forthright. We did deep-breathing exercises before going to the interview and the way she prepared us for our interview gave me the impression that she wanted us to feel calm enough such that we were able to deliver the contents/characteristics of our best-selves to a total of (I believe it was) 9 interviewers.

9 interviews were the standard--2 minutes to read prompt, followed by 8 minute response with interviewer--where interviewers included faculty and students of the school of medicine, and staff of the HR department. However, as stated in the portal, the initial interview prompt is a traditional interview question and after 2 minutes to read prompt, you are given 16 minutes to respond with interviewer.

Regarding probing questions by interviewers, I think "probing" is an inappropriate descriptor in this context. These are not used to elicit anything other than your thorough and direct response to the prompt. I was grateful for these "follow-up" questions, as they kept me on track and allowed me to give them what they needed from me (or atleast try).

You break after 4 prompts for water/pee etc, and begin again to completion. I think it was a result of my nerves, but I was absolutely exhausted after the interviews. I would suggest to bring along glucose in a quick and easy form for consumption--just to feed the ol' brain and keep you engaged. Not necessary, but it was a good time for a boost in retrospect. After interviews, you sit with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and a few MS4s who share with you their experiences on their education and any specific programs they were part of, details on admissions process, and offer you time to ask questions.

Following, you eat lunch with some MS2As (the A is a designation which derives from VCU's condensed pre-clinical years) and they then take you on a tour--which was pretty fun because the facilities you might use are sprinkled throughout downtown Richmond. **I never eat chicken--it creeps me out--but hot damn was that chicken wrap delish!** The students were kind, relateable, and I felt treated as their peer, nothing less--a sentiment I haven't found guaranteed in this process--need I say, a process more often demoralizing and disheartening. After that, we were free to go.

The above is for the most part an objective explanation. The portal tells the truth, and the VCU med website is there to provide you with all the program specifics you likely want to know, should you be invested enough in VCU to look. I did not go to interview day in hopes of more information, but rather for me, it served as illustration to validate my prior assumption; being that VCU was a place from which I would be honored to receive my undergraduate medical education, in a community where I could serve my fellows, side by side my fellows.

I wish sdn could be a place of more objectivity, positivity, and empowerment to others in this process. Do not lose hope if you are discouraged; remember, this road is long. Whether you have been accepted somewhere now, or 3 years from now, the road is long, full of peaks, valleys, hope, and at times despair and profound disappointment. I sometimes have to remind myself that when all this began, I believed in myself. In fact, I have to remind myself quite often; but, atleast I am certain I am in the right place. So, best wishes to all--now and along the road to come.

MisterFinneastheKing...I interview here February 17th/18th. If accepted and we both attend: we are becoming friends.

Thanks for your well-written, informative, and uplifting post. Best of luck to you!

Did anyone's status changed to hold and will be accepted at later date or is it still at interview complete?

So after being on the interview trail I actually have gained a lot of faith in humanity and believe most of you are not weirdos. If anyone is interviewing on saturday and wants to split a hotel room, hit me up!

I was just wondering since it's the end of January does that mean they have pretty much sent out all interviews for February?

Hey guys. I was invited for an interview about 1 month and a half ago and it's scheduled for Valentine's Day. I'm about to cancel my interview as I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to several other schools that I'm more interested in. Hopefully the vacant spot goes to one of my fellow SDNers, if anybody at all. Good luck on the rest of the cycle guys. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Finally complete after 10 years of waiting... are they even going to invite any more people? (The status is the "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview..."

Still on the "your M.D. file is now complete" status. 5+ months. :annoyed:

Reactions: 4 users
I got an interview yesterday but they did not tell me anything regarding the interview. If anyone who has already interviewed here could give me a general idea of how the interviews go (how many minutes they give us to collect thoughts and how much we have to talk for), that would be very much appreciated!

I got an interview yesterday but they did not tell me anything regarding the interview. If anyone who has already interviewed here could give me a general idea of how the interviews go (how many minutes they give us to collect thoughts and how much we have to talk for), that would be very much appreciated!
scroll up a little

How did you set up the tour of the inova campus prior to your interview?

Finally got the "Your file review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal" message on Friday after being complete since July haha. Not expecting anything. Best of luck to all.

what was your portal status before the II? congrats btw!

what was your portal status before the II? congrats btw!

If I remember correctly, it said your file is currently under review. Someone from admissions called me asking if I was still interested in an interview though

Has anyone who has been accepted received any news about institutional scholarships? If not, do any current students know when they tend to release the scholarships?

Has anyone who has been accepted received any news about institutional scholarships? If not, do any current students know when they tend to release the scholarships?

Idk when they actually release notification of scholarships, but I know there's a secondary financial aid application (in addition to the FAFSA) that needs to be completed to be considered for institutional scholarships. The financial aid office said they would email admitted students a link to this application when it was ready, but I haven't received that email yet.

I'm still stuck on Interview complete status and the decisions are supposed to come out tomorrow...not sure how to feel about this..

I'm still stuck on Interview complete status and the decisions are supposed to come out tomorrow...not sure how to feel about this..
You've most likely been presented to the committee, my status updated the day they do the acceptances. I feel like they just do everything in batches- keep an eye on your portal tomorrow morning.

My status never updated beyond "interview complete" and I was still accepted... I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hey Everyone! I thought I'd reach out and let you know that the VCU SOM class of 2021 Facebook page has finally been made. I will leave the link here and feel free to ask me any questions if you have them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1165493326902260/

I look forward to being part of your class this upcoming fall!

I'm praying that third times the charm and I'll be accepted tomorrow. :nailbiting:

good luck tomorrow to everyone waiting to hear back!
just a reminder: random matriculation form = acceptance! (at least thats what its been for last two decision dates!)

My status just changed from 'Interview complete' to '..hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16.'

We shall see I guess.