You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm interviewing here. I had already booked flights, could not get refunded, so I didn't cancel my interview invite after all. Any suggestions for being successful at the MMI. I've fared poorly under the MMI at other schools.
OOS, Interview on 1/11, waitlisted on 2/1, accepted on 2/3! Woo! I have not received anything formally, my status just changed in my portal. I was not even sent an email, which I thought was odd.
This was the one I really wanted to go to. The initial waitlist statement was heart breaking, but the acceptance was awesome. Good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to start in August!
This was the one I really wanted to go to. The initial waitlist statement was heart breaking, but the acceptance was awesome. Good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to start in August!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! I checked as soon as I got the email and was put on the hold status, had a rough 24 hours, then had the matriculation tab 😀
Yes, same!! What the heck!
How do you think your interview went?Yes, same!! What the heck!
How do you think your interview went?
I felt really confident walking out of my interview. I felt like I really connected to the majority of the interviewers and I portrayed who I am accurately. We had some deep conversations about life and medicine, even in the short time. So I was surprised when I was waitlisted immediately.
Had anyone looked into scholarships? Their website indicates that institutional scholarships are available by submitting through NeedAssist but the link doesn't work
If you could post more about this as you find out more, that would be super helpful. I will be needing to look into this as well.
I just did. I interviewed 11/19, was passed over 12/16 and just got in this time around. ...Well a matriculation tab showed up which is what I think that means.Has anyone gotten passed over one round and then gotten in on the second round? Or is it likely that those of us in this situation will just need to wait until the Waitlist comes out?
How does the enrollment fee work if we decide later to not go here?
I believe its a non-refundable deposit. So you would not get your $ backHow does the enrollment fee work if we decide later to not go here?
How does the enrollment fee work if we decide later to not go here?
I'm pretty sure all deposits are refundable up until April 3oth.
Do any current students have recommendations on where to live? I'm also wondering if most people walk/ride the bus to campus or do some people drive? Thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has a facebook page for accepted applicants been made yet?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1165493326902260/
Interviewing next wednesday ! Any advice for the MMI ?
This is a dumb question, but I really can't find the answer anywhere - when do classes start? I believe they said August 3rd during the interview, but I'm second guessing myself 😕
For 2nd years, classes start July 31. I think first year orientation starts the same day (make sure you enjoy those first two weeks)
sorry to hear, dont give up hope yet. What is your stats and IS or OOS?
Super late reply on my part. But OOS LizzyM 69
I interviewed last week, randomly checked my portal yesterday, and saw that I'm on hold for acceptance at a later date. Anyone have a good idea whether this message is usually indicative of an acceptance or a waitlist?
It means that they have discussed your file and you are up for acceptance at the next date (March, I think?). The waitlist doesn't form until after this date . I think, at that point, they touch base with those that weren't accepted or rejected, and see if you are still interested in a wait list spot, if I remember correctly from my interview.
CONGRATS!!Accepted today! Interviewed 1/14!
P.S. I don't get how they do acceptances on days other than those 4 dates
Has anyone received an invite to second look without actually receiving an acceptance? I just did.
I'd love to attend this medical school but I've already been passed over for the past 3 admission dates. Have any current students attended this in the same boat? Are there adcom members there? Did it contribute to your getting admitted?
OOS
I'd love to attend this medical school but I've already been passed over for the past 3 admission dates. Have any current students attended this in the same boat? Are there adcom members there? Did it contribute to your getting admitted?
OOS
When did you get the email? I was accepted a few months ago but didn't get any email about second lookHas anyone received an invite to second look without actually receiving an acceptance? I just did.
I'd love to attend this medical school but I've already been passed over for the past 3 admission dates. Have any current students attended this in the same boat? Are there adcom members there? Did it contribute to your getting admitted?
OOS
When did you get the email? I was accepted a few months ago but didn't get any email about second look
+1!
When did you get the email? I was accepted a few months ago but didn't get any email about second look
1-2 days ago. I definitely don't have an acceptance yet to this school. I loved this school when I interviewed in October but I've had absolute silence since then. I saw in a thread from the 2014-2015 that not all admitted or waitlisted students are invited to it.
Since I'm still on "hold" for an acceptance I don't know what to think. Would like to know if any current students got in from a similar situation.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...lication-thread.1074165/page-47#post-16309894
First MD acceptance!!
Interviewed late January. I hadn't checked portal in a week so unsure of date of acceptance but I am so excited! No email notification of status change but the matriculation form and enrolment fee tabs appeared, along with a brief acceptance letter on the home page. I guess they're handing out acceptances between the specified dates. OOS, LizzyM <70 for those of you wondering. Best of luck to everyone here!
Interviewed late January. I hadn't checked portal in a week so unsure of date of acceptance but I am so excited! No email notification of status change but the matriculation form and enrolment fee tabs appeared, along with a brief acceptance letter on the home page. I guess they're handing out acceptances between the specified dates. OOS, LizzyM <70 for those of you wondering. Best of luck to everyone here!Hello, long time lurker here, finally ended up making an account. Is anyone else whose application was completed in July or August still waiting for their file to be reviewed? Or has anyone from these early completion dates been reviewed/given an II recently? If anyone has called to check on their status/ask if there is any chance that we could still get an II, would you mind sharing what they said? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete late July and my status only changed to reviewed (what I believe is the hold status) this past Friday. Not sure if that gives you any insight. I'll also be curious if they're still giving IIs.Hello, long time lurker here, finally ended up making an account. Is anyone else whose application was completed in July or August still waiting for their file to be reviewed? Or has anyone from these early completion dates been reviewed/given an II recently? If anyone has called to check on their status/ask if there is any chance that we could still get an II, would you mind sharing what they said? Thanks!
I was complete in July, received an II on 2/1 and interviewed 2/4, if that helps keep your hope alive!Hello, long time lurker here, finally ended up making an account. Is anyone else whose application was completed in July or August still waiting for their file to be reviewed? Or has anyone from these early completion dates been reviewed/given an II recently? If anyone has called to check on their status/ask if there is any chance that we could still get an II, would you mind sharing what they said? Thanks!
Was complete mid-August. Still on the "will be reviewed" status. I wouldn't attend an II at this point anyway, but I'm a little miffed it's been six months and theoretically they haven't even reviewed my app yet.
VCU is my top choice, but I heard that they drug test all students even before classes start. can anyone verify this?
my friends and I wanted to smoke a joint together after finals at the end of May but the potential of not passing a drug screen for marijuana is completely terrifying. Especially if VCU uses a hair test, and not a urine test... I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I realize that it's illegal federally. i dont plan on smoking in medical school, but just wanted to hear what you gents and ladies have to say.
my friends and I wanted to smoke a joint together after finals at the end of May but the potential of not passing a drug screen for marijuana is completely terrifying. Especially if VCU uses a hair test, and not a urine test... I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I realize that it's illegal federally. i dont plan on smoking in medical school, but just wanted to hear what you gents and ladies have to say.
.
Last edited:
VCU is my top choice, but I heard that they drug test all students even before classes start. can anyone verify this?
my friends and I wanted to smoke a joint together after finals at the end of May but the potential of not passing a drug screen for marijuana is completely terrifying. Especially if VCU uses a hair test, and not a urine test... I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I realize that it's illegal federally. i dont plan on smoking in medical school, but just wanted to hear what you gents and ladies have to say.
Current M1 at VCU here -- can verify that this is totally false! They do drug test around the beginning of M2 before preceptorships start but it's a urine test and they give plenty of warning. I smoke occasionally and have done so with classmates on a semi regular basis. Definitely a scene for that in med school if you want it, and easy to avoid if not.
are you serious? this gives me some hope in this world...Current M1 at VCU here -- can verify that this is totally false! They do drug test around the beginning of M2 before preceptorships start but it's a urine test and they give plenty of warning. I smoke occasionally and have done so with classmates on a semi regular basis. Definitely a scene for that in med school if you want it, and easy to avoid if not.
What is this? Did you get an invite via email?anyone get pre-matriculation invite today? I wonder if it's worth doing it. I'd love to know how much the stipend is and weather housing is with a roommate in a dorm or private room for 1 person?
I didn't get anything like this...anyone get pre-matriculation invite today? I wonder if it's worth doing it. I'd love to know how much the stipend is and weather housing is with a roommate in a dorm or private room for 1 person?
Gave up my II for this Saturday Februdary 18th! I hope someone can snag it.
I also gave up an interview for fmSTAT for this Friday February 17th. Seriously great programs I just couldn't justify taking a spot when I found out I got accepted to my state school.
I also gave up an interview for fmSTAT for this Friday February 17th. Seriously great programs I just couldn't justify taking a spot when I found out I got accepted to my state school.
What is this? Did you get an invite via email?
I got it as well. I don't know if I want go because I really want to enjoy my summer before the start of school... I'm going to call admissions and find out more. I live in Richmond so it might be easier for me.
Edit: grammar
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
VCU is my top choice, but I heard that they drug test all students even before classes start. can anyone verify this?
my friends and I wanted to smoke a joint together after finals at the end of May but the potential of not passing a drug screen for marijuana is completely terrifying. Especially if VCU uses a hair test, and not a urine test... I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I realize that it's illegal federally. i dont plan on smoking in medical school, but just wanted to hear what you gents and ladies have to say.
Dude/dudess, not worth it either way. Time to let those things go because you're in the big leagues now. It should go without saying that inquiring anonymously on a forum about what's right or wrong is usually a sign it's wrong. Nonetheless, you do you.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone get pre-matriculation invite today? I wonder if it's worth doing it. I'd love to know how much the stipend is and weather housing is with a roommate in a dorm or private room for 1 person?
I received this as well and am debating it. I think there is definitely a huge benefit to going and getting used to the environment, but unfortunately I will be moving across the country in that exact time frame.
Does anyone know what criteria they used to send this out? I was accepted in December and didn't receive an invitation to any pre-matriculation thing.I received this as well and am debating it. I think there is definitely a huge benefit to going and getting used to the environment, but unfortunately I will be moving across the country in that exact time frame.
VCU is my top choice, but I heard that they drug test all students even before classes start. can anyone verify this?
my friends and I wanted to smoke a joint together after finals at the end of May but the potential of not passing a drug screen for marijuana is completely terrifying. Especially if VCU uses a hair test, and not a urine test... I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I realize that it's illegal federally. i dont plan on smoking in medical school, but just wanted to hear what you gents and ladies have to say.
lol why would they use a hair test? that's incredibly unreasonable. hospitals, emts, and paramedics don't even require hair tests for routine drug screens. many of my friends in medical school smoke pot. relax. just don't let it affect your academics obviously.
Anyone got IIs lately? I called in last month, and they said that their last interview day is 2/28....does that mean they already sent out all the invites? Since it's mid February already....
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile