2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it would be beneficial at VCU to send a letter of interest/letter of intent? I am IS, interviewed 2/4 and definitely plan to attend here if I am accepted - if it's helpful to send one I'll do it for sure, but was wondering if anyone has tried in the past

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if it would be beneficial at VCU to send a letter of interest/letter of intent? I am IS, interviewed 2/4 and definitely plan to attend here if I am accepted - if it's helpful to send one I'll do it for sure, but was wondering if anyone has tried in the past
I think VCU specifically mentioned during the interview that they don't accept any sort of communication including LOIs from applicants except for important updates (pubs and grades)

I think VCU specifically mentioned during the interview that they don't accept any sort of communication including LOIs from applicants except for important updates (pubs and grades)

So I'm still on this waiting/standby list, and a publication our lab has been working on was just submitted and approved, but it hasn't been actually published yet so there's no link I could provide admissions for it. Think this would be considered an 'important update'?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm still on this waiting/standby list, and a publication our lab has been working on was just submitted and approved, but it hasn't been actually published yet so there's no link I could provide admissions for it. Think this would be considered an 'important update'?

At my interview I believe they said accepted for publication would count as an update. I would just include the title of the paper, and the authors, possibly an abstract if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
can you take notes during the MMI? like during the 2 minutes when you're reading over the prompt

Does anyone know when VCU stops giving out interviews? I've had the following status for months now:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

final interviews are being held this week. they are not inviting any more.

Did anyone else not get rejected this morning and still have the in review status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have had the "sub-committee will review" status since late July/early Aug. Don't think it makes any difference at this point though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same. I was complete on July 15th and did not hear anything since.

Same, too! They should've been kind and cut us loose.
Maybe there is still hope. I looked at their website and they state that they interview until March. Idk where the other poster got the information that they aren't giving any more interviews.

Maybe there is still hope. I looked at their website and they state that they interview until March. Idk where the other poster got the information that they aren't giving any more interviews.

Maybe. The thought of being invited to interview this late is kind of a weird feeling. It's like being picked last for the kickball team. But I guess it's better than not being able to play at all.

Maybe. The thought of being invited to interview this late is kind of a weird feeling. It's like being picked last for the kickball team. But I guess it's better than not being able to play at all.

I got an II yesterday from a school that I had given up on a long time ago.

Reactions: 2 users
do you know when is the first day of require attendance? white coat ceremony?

anyone else still not been rejected pre-II? this is odd...

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone received the scholarship application yet? They said they'd be sending it out this week...

do you know when is the first day of require attendance? white coat ceremony?
My student guides talked about some sort of roll call that was mandatory, and I'm assuming the stuff after that. I believe it was prior to the white coat ceremony.

Anyone received the scholarship application yet? They said they'd be sending it out this week...

I got an email that said we would have to fill out a PROFILE through College Board (aka the website you used to register for the SAT) for institutional scholarships. You can designate schools from there, and there was an option for VCU SOM.

I got an email that said we would have to fill out a PROFILE through College Board (aka the website you used to register for the SAT) for institutional scholarships. You can designate schools from there, and there was an option for VCU SOM.
Huh. Never got this email. When did you get it?

Fyi, the interview season I believe are over at VCU. I interviewed on 2/28, and they said 3/1 was the last cohort. Sorry for those who were looking for a II here.

On hold since August pre-II and finally rejected this morning.
Also rejected pre-II this morning. Did they encourage you to reapply with them next cycle should you not get accepted elsewhere? And does that actually indicate they'd be fairly interested, or do they tell that to everyone?

Also rejected pre-II this morning. Did they encourage you to reapply with them next cycle should you not get accepted elsewhere? And does that actually indicate they'd be fairly interested, or do they tell that to everyone?
Had the same message so I'm going to assume they tell that to everyone.

Rejected this morning as well, had "very interested" status for just over a month. I also had the note about reapplication.

Rejected as well via e-mail last night. Pre-II OOS, complete sometime early August.

Rejected via email after 7 months???? of "very interested" status. Like, sure, very interested. yup :eyebrow: what's the point even.

Reactions: 5 users
Rejected. This school's admissions process is a mess lol. They need to hire a consultant or something to fix their application process

Reactions: 3 users
Still have the "you will be reviewed" status. LOL

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students

Based on what I recall from the interview day, previous classes were ranked by quartile, but incoming classes may not be ranked for the first two years, save for (possibly) the top student.

I don't remember what the M4s and Dr. Whitehurst-Cook said about the third and fourth years, though http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/studentaffairs/match/mspe/ says the current grading scheme is honors/high pass/pass/marginal/fail.

Last edited:
Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students

Current M2a. We are graded strictly on a pass/fail system and there is no ranking for clinical years. Ranking does exist for years 3 and 4 and the grading switches to honors, high pass, pass etc...

No ranking for preclinical years

Last edited:
I'm sorry if someone previously asked this question, but does anyone know when the last interview dates are around?

I'm sorry if someone previously asked this question, but does anyone know when the last interview dates are around?
The last interview date was already just over one week ago. So there are no more Interviews (and IIs) left, unfortunately :(

The last interview date was already just over one week ago. So there are no more Interviews (and IIs) left, unfortunately :(
Gah, should have just checked back in the thread. Thanks for the info!!

Those sly dogs want some application fees from us next year, too!

Just from personal experience, I was put on pre-II hold last cycle, at which time they said the same thing, "Apply next cycle". I applied again this cycle thinking the same as you, "Oh, they just want more money"...except I was interviewed and accepted this cycle and will be attending. So I am stoked and would recommend throwing some more money at it next cycle. Just make sure you improve your application in some significant way. Best of luck!

Portal finally updated with a rejection, no email. Still salty it took them nearly 7 months to change my status from "will be reviewed" to "rejection" with nothing between. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Been on hold since after my interview in August, anybody else in the same boat starting to get discouraged. They make their last set of decisions on the 16th.