Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My portal still looks the same
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just noticed the same thingThe only difference I see is that the "withdraw application" option is gone.
Mine still has the withdraw option. 😵
Very weird I still have it. I wonder what that meansI just noticed the same thing
Oh...Very weird I still have it. I wonder what that means
Is the "Withdraw Application" button's disappearance a good thing or a bad thing? My portal doesn't show any change.
My first intuition is that if you're still able to withdraw your application, you're still in consideration, but I've been wrong before. :\
My first intuition is that if you're still able to withdraw your application, you're still in consideration, but I've been wrong before. :\
I think all you guys are freaking out over something really small... I called the office yesterday and was told the wait list would form by the end of the week. So today or tomorrow hopefully, but wouldn't be surprised if it was next week given their track record of staying on schedule with things.
My withdraw application button vanished today too. Not thinking that's a great sign haha
Just got an email notification about a change in my status @ 1:35 AM PST...Alternate OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate IS, email to check portal around 4 AM, waiting for the "Alternate List Form" to be added
Just got an email notification about a change in my status @ 1:35 AM PST...Alternate OOS
Same here. No link to the "Alternate List Form" yet.
First time posting on SDN!
Received an email at 4:34 am EST with a status change.
Checked portal and Alternate OOS 🙂
Also do not have a link to the form yet.
Best of luck everyone!
Received an email at 4:34 am EST with a status change.
Checked portal and Alternate OOS 🙂
Also do not have a link to the form yet.
Best of luck everyone!
Same here! Also, the withdraw application tab never disappeared yesterday from my account.First time posting on SDN!
Received an email at 4:34 am EST with a status change.
Checked portal and Alternate OOS 🙂
Also do not have a link to the form yet.
Best of luck everyone!
The Alternate List has now appeared on the Navigation tab 🙂
Anyone denied?
Alternate this morning. OOS
Alternate list at 4am this morning, IS
Alternate this morning. OOS.
They were supposed to send us a link to an Orientation site with the relevant pre-matric information that was supposed to go live today, but so far have heard nothing today. I was actually originally told it was going live March 1, so there seem to be some issues over there...
Not as of right now, at least until the Orientation site goes live. And I assume final transcripts won't be due until after most undergrad semesters wrap up, so probably like late May/early June (though I don't know for sure). I can't send my final transcript until mid-late May anyway.question...after filling out the matriculation form and paying the fee, is there anything else we need to do in the near future? And does anyone know the deadline for transcripts? Thanks!!
Not as of right now, at least until the Orientation site goes live. And I assume final transcripts won't be due until after most undergrad semesters wrap up, so probably like late May/early June (though I don't know for sure). I can't send my final transcript until mid-late May anyway.
"The Orientation website will go LIVE on Friday, March 31st ; we’ll provide a link to the site on Friday. The website will provide information to guide you through matriculation."
When tho
LOL as with everything else from them so far, I'd expect to receive it several weeks to a month from now 🙂"The Orientation website will go LIVE on Friday, March 31st ; we’ll provide a link to the site on Friday. The website will provide information to guide you through matriculation."
When tho
accepted!
does anyone know how to feel out the needaccess financial aid forms? the link doesn't work online
does anyone know how to feel out the needaccess financial aid forms? the link doesn't work online
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
accepted!
does anyone know how to feel out the needaccess financial aid forms? the link doesn't work online
Today? Congrats!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
yes i got the email yesterday
Were you able to find the orientation site? Or is it still not upSo I called and was told that the in-state tuition thing is temporary and will change once we fill out that form and submit it. The woman that I spoke with said that the orientation site (where all the 'get ready for school stuff' is housed) is now up and running, so that form and others will be coming our way soon.
Edit: I called the financial aid office about scholarship stuff a few months ago and was told that we may or may not find out about our package before the April 30th deadline, which is frustrating but not that rare aparently, as one of the other schools to which I'm accepted straight up said that their financial aid stuff would not be released before then.
Half the class uses MacBooks and they don't seem to have any problems. As far as I know, they just need to buy a few extra adapters but that's it. On the topic of buying new vs using old: the vast majority of people have new laptops. Some use old without any trouble. Just keep in mind that the older your machine, the less likely it is to be compatible with exam programs and things like that.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Tons of people use MacBooks for exams. They just need an extra adapter
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just received an email from VCU regarding 2017-18 laptop requirements, which stated that we MUST have a windows based laptop for exams and that Macs are not accepted. Is this what they told you guys prior to matriculation too? And are you certain that we can use Mac for exams given we have the adapter?
Last edited:
Were you able to find the orientation site? Or is it still not up
Googling around, I found the one from last year, but they haven't sent out the link to ours yet, but said in the laptop email today that it'll be out soon.
Last edited:
Yes, that is my understanding as wellThe "alternate list form" is just selecting whether you've been accepted elsewhere and that you'd like to be on the list for consideration, correct?
As I understand it, you can use a Mac if you run boot camp on it so that you can still run any Windows programs
VCU's website specifically mentions that running boot camp or similar programs is not permitted for exams
Computer requirements for medical students – VCU School of Medicine Technology Services
VCU's website specifically mentions that running boot camp or similar programs is not permitted for exams
Computer requirements for medical students – VCU School of Medicine Technology Services
Then how come, according to current students, more than half of students use Mac for exams? The only possible explanation is that they added this little rule about Bootcamp this year! But why would they do that when they know at least half of the general population use MacBook?!?! Do they think we have so much money that we can spare some on an extra laptop just for exams?!?!
/end of rant
Last edited:
M1 here. You can always keep your Mac for regular work and then rent a windows laptop from the library each time we have an exam. I have a friend who does that...seems tedious but it's an option.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
M1 here. You can always keep your Mac for regular work and then rent a windows laptop from the library each time we have an exam. I have a friend who does that...seems tedious but it's an option.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's true! Do they insist on Windows-based laptop for exams and not allow Bootcamp for you current M1s either? If so, how come half of the class use Mac for exams then?
I use a PC, so I'm not sure what boot camp is exactly. I just know that the people who use macs don't seem to have any problems. They just need a new extra adapters. I don't know if there's a new requirement for you all that doesn't apply to my class. I would call the IT office and clear things up
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any wait list movement?
Any wait list movement?
Last edited:
accepted!
does anyone know how to feel out the needaccess financial aid forms? the link doesn't work online
Congratulations!
NeedAccess is actually not being used anymore (administration told us that this current school year was the last year we'd be using NeedAccess) - the new mode is PROFILE through CollegeBoard (yes, them again hahah). I'd double-check with Financial Aid just to be sure but I know they told my class to use PROFILE for this upcoming school year ('17-'18).
I just received an email from VCU regarding 2017-18 laptop requirements, which stated that we MUST have a windows based laptop for exams and that Macs are not accepted. Is this what they told you guys prior to matriculation too? And are you certain that we can use Mac for exams given we have the adapter?
VCU's website specifically mentions that running boot camp or similar programs is not permitted for exams
Computer requirements for medical students – VCU School of Medicine Technology Services
I'll echo what my compadre here has already said - you should be fine with a Mac. Probably a quarter to a third of our class (at minimum) uses Macs, and I haven't heard of any major issues from them. The only reason I personally use a PC is that my Mac is pretty old and beginning to slow down, so I figured I'd might as well get the recommended OS if I was going to splurge and get something new for school.
Any wait list movement?
Don't stress if you haven't heard back yet - I didn't come off the waitlist until mid-May, and quite a few of my classmates came off of it in the summer. Plenty of time!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a current student, and the answer to your question depends on a lot of factors- personal preference and budget being the two biggest. If you want to live downtown, most people live in apartments a few blocks from school, or in neighborhoods that are within biking or a quick free shuttle ride away. These neighborhoods are called The Fan, Shockoe bottom, or Church Hill. There are plenty of parking garages within a few block radius of school, but if you're going to live downtown, it would be easier and cheaper to either walk, bike or take the vcu shuttle to class. As a side note, you'll pay more rent to live downtown..like with any city. The area immediately surrounding the medical school is very safe, but I can't speak to the surrounding neighborhoods...maybe another studnet who lives there can.Question for current students/people in the know: Where would you recommend living that is safe and affordable? Also, what is the parking situation like near campus or is better to find a place walking distance?
I personally commute about 20 minutes per day and have no problems at all. If you want to live outside the city, popular spots are Chesterfield, Bon Air, Short Pump, Glen Allen and Midlothian. In general, you'll probably find that these neighborhoods are nicer than living directly in the city, a bit cheaper, and larger floor plans.
To each his own though. Hope this helps...if you have more questions just shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help more!
...