2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know anything about the reasons behind the relatively drastic drop in VCU's USNews Ranking? It went down from 69th to 80th :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know anything about the reasons behind the relatively drastic drop in VCU's USNews Ranking? It went down from 69th to 80th :/
Hmm, that's not that drastic of a change.

Also in a practical sense US News isn't as important as the match list. Arguably the biggest reason for going to a good medical school is to get in to a competitive residency. If VCU matches in places/specialties you would like to go, then it's a good school for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Been on hold since after my interview in August, anybody else in the same boat starting to get discouraged. They make their last set of decisions on the 16th.
+1 interviewed in September and been on hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been on hold since after my interview in August, anybody else in the same boat starting to get discouraged. They make their last set of decisions on the 16th.

Same here. Interviewed in October and have been passed over on every decision date. Does that basically mean a rejection/waitlist is coming on the 16th?

+1 but since October
not expecting anything at this point tbh :/

Research is at 69, was it always at that rank? I know US News isn't a good resource for school rankings, but I too would like to know why it dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last day of offered acceptances is tomorrow! Fingers crossed...

Yes! However, let's remember that with each wave of acceptances, most accepted in this thread didn't receive the message/matriculation tab until the late afternoon, or even the following day (so don't freak out thinking you've been forgotten). Don't get discouraged if you don't see any changes at noon tomorrow, or whenever you first check.

I'm as anxious as anyone else in this thread, but don't stay up until 4 AM thinking the status changes are effected at midnight. Best of luck, everyone!

Has anyone gotten a status update yet?

Usually it goes out around 6 p.m but people have been getting the matriculation tab earlier.

Thanks. I just wanna know one way or the other so I can move on with my life and start making plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in the meantime while we all patiently wait, what happens in the event that we don't get a matriculation tab this time around either? Are all of us moved to the alternate list or only some of us? Any idea what our chances are as an alternate?

Reactions: 1 users
In the past, how early did people start receiving a matriculation tab? And did all of the matriculation tabs appear at the same time or in waves?

Honestly, having watched all 3 of the previous acceptance days go past, it seems like the people who don't "find out" until the next day just didn't check their portal until then. I think all of the acceptances will actually go out sometime today.

JUST SAW THE MATRICULATION FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
JUST SAW THE MATRICULATION FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

interviewed 2/1 if anyone is curious

first acceptance after reapplying omg

Reactions: 4 users
ME TOO!!!!! Omg! I was hugely impressed by VCU on the interview trail!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 01/31 if anyone's curious!!! Good luck everyone! :highfive:

Anybody else? Can I safely assume that since I don't have a matriculation tab that I am not getting accepted?

Anybody else? Can I safely assume that since I don't have a matriculation tab that I am not getting accepted?
Not neccessarily. Despite what people on this thread say, decisions do go out later. In December several people were all accepted a week after the official date.

If you haven't heard anything by next week then it's probably safe to assume you're an alternate. Or not. I'm not on the adcom so this is all speculation. Just try to relax.

Not neccessarily. Despite what people on this thread say, decisions do go out later. In December several people were all accepted a week after the official date.

If you haven't heard anything by next week then it's probably safe to assume you're an alternate. Or not. I'm not on the adcom so this is all speculation. Just try to relax.

Lol, I am relaxed. I just want to know and move on already because I'm trying to get an apartment in another city at one of the other schools I was accepted at, but I promised myself I would wait until I knew what was happening with VCU before I definitely committed.

So if our portal is updated with an enrollment fee and a matriculation form its an acceptance? The home page statement hasn't changed.

So if our portal is updated with an enrollment fee and a matriculation form its an acceptance? The home page statement hasn't changed.
hmm.. haven't received any changes to my status and no matriculation tab...i really thought i was gonna find out by now. o well.

@gidder Yes, that means you are accepted. Congrats!

Does anyone know if an email or a more formal announcement will follow soon? Also, is the $100 deposit refundable until April 30th?

Hey I also got the Matriculation form but no change in the home page or acceptance letter. Everyone is saying its an acceptance I just would like to confirm before I get excited .

I'm confused. I thought that if you interviewed in February you would receive an accept, reject, or waitlist on March 16. Is that inaccurate? Do they only send acceptances on those four dates they gave?

I'm confused. I thought that if you interviewed in February you would receive an accept, reject, or waitlist on March 16. Is that inaccurate? Do they only send acceptances on those four dates they gave?

Only offers of admission are extended on the four listed dates. Those of us who didn't receive a status update/matriculation tab today are either going to the alternates list or getting a rejection at the end of March. :\

Only offers of admission are extended on the four listed dates. Those of us who didn't receive a status update/matriculation tab today are either going to the alternates list or getting a rejection at the end of March. :\
It looks like people have got the tab up to a few days after the day each time, so I would keep up hope :). Could be that they didn't notice it originally, but I'm optimistic!

Hey I also got the Matriculation form but no change in the home page or acceptance letter. Everyone is saying its an acceptance I just would like to confirm before I get excited .
So I called the office before they closed and they said only people who are given an offer will have the matriculation form. And they said congratulations at the end :)

So I called the office before they closed and they said only people who are given an offer will have the matriculation form. And they said congratulations at the end :)

so weird, i hope i get a status update tomorrow so its just confirmed i'm waitlisted or rejected.

Congrats everyone ! Interview mid-Feb and still have the hold status so i guess im in for the long wait

@gidder Yes, that means you are accepted. Congrats!

Does anyone know if an email or a more formal announcement will follow soon? Also, is the $100 deposit refundable until April 30th?

I was accepted on 2/1 and I just never received any formal note or invitation. The only update I have yet to receive was the one on the portal and the financial aid stuff.

Congratulations to everyone! Hope to get to know some of you this August!

FYI for those still in limbo - last years waitlist went out the night of March 29th. One more week of keeping our fingers crossed!

Has anybody been accepted since the 16th?

Edit: Called the admissions office. All acceptances for this cycle have gone out already, and they are currently compiling the waitlist. The waitlist and rejections will be released March 30th. More acceptances could go out before then but it depends on what people do in terms of withdrawing their acceptances/applications before the final wait list is compiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody been accepted since the 16th?

Edit: Called the admissions office. All acceptances for this cycle have gone out already, and they are currently compiling the waitlist. The waitlist and rejections will be released March 30th. More acceptances could go out before then but it depends on what people do in terms of withdrawing their acceptances/applications before the final wait list is compiled.
Thank you for the update! It's been a rough wait...

So, my portal updated to show that transcripts and such are not recieved. VCU info also not made yet. However, at the bottom it says my status for instate tution is: ineligible. I hope this must be a mistake, because I live in Va, and go to a Va undergrad right now. Anyone in the same boat, on their portal?

So, my portal updated to show that transcripts and such are not recieved. VCU info also not made yet. However, at the bottom it says my status for instate tution is: ineligible. I hope this must be a mistake, because I live in Va, and go to a Va undergrad right now. Anyone in the same boat, on their portal?

Just checked and I am in the same boat. Have you called or anything to check on this?

Just checked and I am in the same boat. Have you called or anything to check on this?

+1... Also, does anyone know when scholarships are offered? Does filling out the PROFILE application by the priority deadline mean we will hear back soon about scholarships and need based assistance?

+1... Also, does anyone know when scholarships are offered? Does filling out the PROFILE application by the priority deadline mean we will hear back soon about scholarships and need based assistance?

So I called and was told that the in-state tuition thing is temporary and will change once we fill out that form and submit it. The woman that I spoke with said that the orientation site (where all the 'get ready for school stuff' is housed) is now up and running, so that form and others will be coming our way soon.

Edit: I called the financial aid office about scholarship stuff a few months ago and was told that we may or may not find out about our package before the April 30th deadline, which is frustrating but not that rare aparently, as one of the other schools to which I'm accepted straight up said that their financial aid stuff would not be released before then.

Last edited:
So I called and was told that the in-state tuition thing is temporary and will change once we fill out that form and submit it. The woman that I spoke with said that the orientation site (where all the 'get ready for school stuff' is housed) is now up and running, so that form and others will be coming our way soon.

Edit: I called the financial aid office about scholarship stuff a few months ago and was told that we may or may not find out about our package before the April 30th deadline, which is frustrating but not that rare aparently, as one of the other schools to which I'm accepted straight up said that their financial aid stuff would not be released before then.

Thank you! That is frustrating, but it makes sense for schools to not go crazy with scholarship offers prior to traffic day.

Anyone know what time the alternate list notification will be tomorrow?