2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first II! Got an email this morning, scheduled for early September

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think 4500/3500 characters is ok?

also congrats on the II's! this seems like an awesome place!

Do you guys think 4500/3500 characters is ok?

also congrats on the II's! this seems like an awesome place!
I know it saves your extra characters if you go over with no apparent limit -- but an extra 1000 characters seems like it'll be quite obvious or annoyingly long to the person reading it. I'm not sure those extra characters could really be worth pushing it...

I know it saves your extra characters if you go over with no apparent limit -- but an extra 1000 characters seems like it'll be quite obvious or annoyingly long to the person reading it. I'm not sure those extra characters could really be worth pushing it...

Yeah, 3500c is already a lot so I would stick as close to it as possible. Personally, I wouldn't go over more than ~200-250c from there.

Yeah, 3500c is already a lot so I would stick as close to it as possible. Personally, I wouldn't go over more than ~200-250c from there.

True thanks for the advice! Yeah I printed it out and it did look noticeably long haha. I got a little too excited that I didn't have to use a character counting website :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For the question:

I was involved in multiple research projects and there is just no way I can describe the hypothesis, methods, results, interpretation, and suggestions for future research for all of them in 3,500 characters without it being incomprehensible. Is it okay to refer to my primary application to say something like "I was involved in [x] research projects, and the procedures of ___ are described briefly on my primary application. ___ is described below in more depth." And then write the essay on one specific project?
That's exactly what I did.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if MSTP II's are given out around the same time as everyone else's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 small announcements to make.

1) iApply was down unexpected for about an hour last night. It's back up and running again. If you got a 503 error page trying to log into iApply, check again now.

2) Our payment processor system has been undergoing extensive maintenance during off-hours, and this has resulted in some people getting an error message when trying to pay an application fee. Most of these errors have occurred around 10:00PM EST. If you get an error when trying to pay, try again in a couple hours or the next morning. I have not yet heard from anyone getting the error 2 days in a row.

Reactions: 5 users
Placed on hold for an interview today.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone here has filled out the MSTP app, can you tell me how your filled in the GRE section? They only provide space for two subjects and the GRE General Test has three (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing).

When they send an email about their bioethics program....

Reactions: 5 users
What are people's thoughts on the research essay? My research wasn't necessarily the traditional sort, I wrote a computer script for calculating polygenetic risk scores. I can't really think of a way to rework what I said in my AMCAS activities section as I marked the research as a MM experience. Would be it horrible for me to copy over what I wrote in that section with a little more explanation of what exactly the script does?

What are people's thoughts on the research essay? My research wasn't necessarily the traditional sort, I wrote a computer script for calculating polygenetic risk scores. I can't really think of a way to rework what I said in my AMCAS activities section as I marked the research as a MM experience. Would be it horrible for me to copy over what I wrote in that section with a little more explanation of what exactly the script does?
Maybe you could expand more on what you learned or what skills/perspective you gained? I'd probably re-word your AMCAS statement if you can, but I'm not sure it's a big deal

II! For both College and University Tracks :)

Reactions: 11 users
Man, I would love to go here for it's research, but I think my stats will keep me out (3.7/510 + PhD). Their MCAT percentiles on MSAR are odd: 508/515/517/520/523). Good luck to everyone applying!

Man, I would love to go here for it's research, but I think my stats will keep me out (3.7/510 + PhD). Their MCAT percentiles on MSAR are odd: 508/515/517/520/523). Good luck to everyone applying!

I have the opposite problem - low cGPA (3.56, bad freshman year, upswing w/4.0 postbacc) and higher MCAT (518, mediocre for top schools). No PhD. ;) But I would love to go there for the research focus (and the amazing clinical opportunities!) as well.

I think their wide range of MCAT percentiles means that they look beyond numbers if you have something that catches their eye. Good luck!

First II! Submitted secondary on 7/21. Best of luck everyone :)

Reactions: 6 users
II! Lizzy M 73, OOS, complete 7/13

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So I got an II from CWRU and Lerner this morning and accidentally scheduled interviews for both schools on the same day. Does anyone know how forgiving they might be in rescheduling one of them?

So I got an II from CWRU and Lerner this morning and accidentally scheduled interviews for both schools on the same day. Does anyone know how forgiving they might be in rescheduling one of them?
Wondering the same thing. Any recommendations for scheduling interviews for both schools? Is same day okay?

First II, by the way. I cried real tears this morning.

Reactions: 3 users
Wondering the same thing. Any recommendations for scheduling interviews for both schools? Is same day okay?

No same day is not okay. From my understanding, it's 2 full interview days (one for each program). I signed up for Thursday/Friday combo for the 2.

When were you marked complete?

No same day is not okay. From my understanding, it's 2 full interview days (one for each program). I signed up for Thursday/Friday combo for the 2.
Cool, thanks! Had I read the letter before jumping to SDN to report that I'd gotten an interview, I would have seen that you are definitely supposed to schedule them on different but consecutive days. No worries, ar1993, you can call admissions and reschedule no sweat.

Cool, thanks! Had I read the letter before jumping to SDN to report that I'd gotten an interview, I would have seen that you are definitely supposed to schedule them on different but consecutive days. No worries, ar1993, you can call admissions and reschedule no sweat.

Thank you RufDoc!!