2017-2018 Charles R Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got a call from Dr. V from admissions on Tuesday saying she is presenting me for acceptance to UCLA Geffen.. Does this mean i'm in or should I still be holding tight? I interviewed before thanksgiving so i'm assuming they are pulling me off of the waitlist if I get accepted by Geffen. Does anyone have any information on this process?
If you got accepted to Geffen then you aren’t in the CDU cohort! From what I understand, CDU and Geffen are very similar but different in core mission! If You really want CDU then yea just hold on tight! You aren’t restricted from staying on waitlist anyway! If you know you don’t bother then withdraw and potentially increase another student’s chance! All in all congratulation!!! And welcome to UCLA DGSOM class of 2022!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you got accepted to Geffen then you aren’t in the CDU cohort! From what I understand, CDU and Geffen are very similar but different in core mission! If You really want CDU then yea just hold on tight! You aren’t restricted from staying on waitlist anyway! If you know you don’t bother then withdraw and potentially increase another student’s chance! All in all congratulation!!! And welcome to UCLA DGSOM class of 2022!!!

I don't think ReywantstobeanMD is saying he got into UCLA. The way admissions for Drew/UCLA is after you interview at Drew and get accepted, the Drew staff present you to the UCLA admissions staff and then after you get the okay from both schools you get an official acceptance. When I interviewed in January I asked Joe about this and he said that UCLA usually just goes with Drew's recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think ReywantstobeanMD is saying he got into UCLA. The way admissions for Drew/UCLA is after you interview at Drew and get accepted, the Drew staff present you to the UCLA admissions staff and then after you get the okay from both schools you get an official acceptance. When I interviewed in January I asked Joe about this and he said that UCLA usually just goes with Drew's recommendations.
Ahhhh sorry! I assumed that if you get the recommendation, you will get in! Apologize for misreading T.T!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance yesterday! Couldn't be more excited. Now just gotta choose between them and UC Davis :/

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the acceptance yesterday! Couldn't be more excited. Now just gotta choose between them and UC Davis :/

Glad to know there is still a sliver of hope. Congratulations on both acceptances!

Congrats! You should choose UC Davis, but I am just saying that to increase my chances of getting into CDU :p

Though my unbiased two cents is that both are great programs with missions for the Underserved. A friend of mine had multiple acceptances a few years ago. He contacted the various schools letting them know he was considering them, and UC Davis actually sweetened his financial aid package enough to convince him to go there. Wouldn't hurt to contact both schools and ask about what sort of financial aid packages they can offer you.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah UCDavis actually tried to offer me a scholarship to choose them over Drew/UCLA, I still choose Drew though

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah UCDavis actually tried to offer me a scholarship to choose them over Drew/UCLA, I still choose Drew though

You made an excellent decision! Welcome to the family fellow Drewin!

Withdrew my acceptance to Drew. Davis made me an offer nearly impossible to refuse. Hopefully one of you beautiful people can get my spot!!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance to Drew. Davis made me an offer nearly impossible to refuse. Hopefully one of you beautiful people can get my spot!!

Congrats! Wish you the best of luck starting medical school!!

Was told that they screen out applications with anything under a 3.5 sGPA. Seems a bit high, any ideas?

Also told screens out anything under a 505 mcat and 3.0 cGPA.

Was told that they screen out applications with anything under a 3.5 sGPA. Seems a bit high, any ideas?

Also told screens out anything under a 505 mcat and 3.0 cGPA.
No, they do not screen out everything under 3.5, unsure about 505 and 3.0 question

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I want to say I'm committed to my school, but a small part of me thinks, "What if CDU calls me" :(:unsure:

They definitely don't screen for 505 or lower (just look at previous year application thread)

Interesting, that's very good to know! It's odd that the lady on the phone told me that they screen at 505 and even the 3.5 sGPA screen seems a bit high too. I guess be careful who you talk to o_O

Interesting, that's very good to know! It's odd that the lady on the phone told me that they screen at 505 and even the 3.5 sGPA screen seems a bit high too. I guess be careful who you talk to o_O
Got the Geffen w/ 3.49 so anything can happen yo

That's incredible!! Congrats!!

Will you be accepting your offer of admissions? I'm sure at this point you would be the last offer (unless you decline).

I got The call today! I’m Overwhelmed with joy.. I had Completely given up hope. God is so Faithful!

Reactions: 7 users
Got the call yesterday!!! God is Good. Still can't believe it.

Reactions: 9 users
Was accepted to CDU/UCLA!

Congratulations to you all. I have to admit - I'm a bit bummed for not hearing back. I really loved the program and was looking forward to joining the CDU/UCLA community.

I'm an OOS ORM and have been accepted at another school, which has its pros and cons. I gave it my all starting from my interview which I thought went well. Post-interview, I updated the admissions committee about my first author publication, letters of interest, as well as additional LORs.

I know it's technically not over yet but it is getting down to the wire and with housing/flights for white coat ceremonies being finalized, I doubt they'll extend an offer to those OOS.

I guess it's just not meant to be!

Once again, kudos to those who have been accepted! It really is a big accomplishment!

Reactions: 2 users
Drew/ Geffen Scholarhip was such a difficult decision to withdraw (I loved the community, great package, and was in a familiar city. But I decided to accept a waitlist offer). Hearing the joy of you all really makes me happy. Best of luck! :')

Reactions: 7 users
Drew/ Geffen Scholarhip was such a difficult decision to withdraw (I loved the community, great package, and was in a familiar city. But I decided to accept a waitlist offer). Hearing the joy of you all really makes me happy. Best of luck! :')

Congrats on your waitlist acceptance! Did you withdraw from Drew just yesterday, or earlier? Biting my nails over here about waitlist movement...