2017-2018 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner)

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've done a lot more lurking than posting this cycle so far, but I received a II this morning!
LizzyM ~79, resubmitting a low authorship publication (I think 6th) this week but none of as of right now, 2 posters.
Still in shock.
Would love interview advice!!!
Congrats! complete date?
 
86 publications from just the 32 entering students? Wow. So they really want publications, not just research experience, I suppose. Publish or perish, right? Most of my research experience (5+ years - nontrad) has been on large clinical trials (national, multi-site, etc), so no real chance of publication or being listed as an author as an undergrad - more like data entry and patient screening and follow up. :shrug:
I am a current M1 and I didn't have any publications but I guess my classmates made up for it. So I wouldn't be too worried about not having pubs.
 
I am a current M1 and I didn't have any publications but I guess my classmates made up for it. So I wouldn't be too worried about not having pubs.
I have 18 publications (2 primary author journal paper (1 reported to CCLCM as the other is in press), 2 secondary author journal paper, 1 Primary author for book chapter contribution, 13 published abstracts (11 Primary author), RG Score 22.95).

All papers were published in higher end cardiology journals, and abstracts were presented and published in the largest conferences for cardiology (AHA, ACC, etc). I was also the leader for the summer research program at our center where I was responsible to train, manage, and mentor group of students during the summer while they carried out their research projects.

I however do not have very competitive stats (GPA and MCAT), though I have a sharp upward trend in the past year (4.0 GPA during 16-17 year), so I am hoping my research, clinical, and leadership experience compensate for lower stats.
 
I have 18 publications (2 primary author journal paper (1 reported to CCLCM as the other is in press), 2 secondary author journal paper, 1 Primary author for book chapter contribution, 13 published abstracts (11 Primary author), RG Score 22.95).

All papers were published in higher end cardiology journals, and abstracts were presented and published in the largest conferences for cardiology (AHA, ACC, etc). I was also the leader for the summer research program at our center where I was responsible to train, manage, and mentor group of students during the summer while they carried out their research projects.

I however do not have very competitive stats (GPA and MCAT), though I have a sharp upward trend in the past year (4.0 GPA during 16-17 year), so I am hoping my research, clinical, and leadership experience compensate for lower stats.

Published abstracts count as publications when they talk about that first year class statistic? If that's the case that makes a lot more sense, i have one first author pub but I have 3 published abstracts and 1 published book chapter
 
I have 18 publications (2 primary author journal paper (1 reported to CCLCM as the other is in press), 2 secondary author journal paper, 1 Primary author for book chapter contribution, 13 published abstracts (11 Primary author), RG Score 22.95).

All papers were published in higher end cardiology journals, and abstracts were presented and published in the largest conferences for cardiology (AHA, ACC, etc). I was also the leader for the summer research program at our center where I was responsible to train, manage, and mentor group of students during the summer while they carried out their research projects.

I however do not have very competitive stats (GPA and MCAT), though I have a sharp upward trend in the past year (4.0 GPA during 16-17 year), so I am hoping my research, clinical, and leadership experience compensate for lower stats.

IMG_2065.JPG



<<withdraws application>>
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, your application looks complete to me! 😉
I was just joking about feeling awesome with my zero pubs. Anyway, how did you manage 11 abstracts and a book chapter and articles, etc? Kudos!

Thank you!! 🙂
But I do have to confess it was all result of amazing mentor ship! I was very fortunate to secure a research position with 2 CCF grads who were passionate about research. I observed for hours and learned almost everything there is to know about cardiac electrophysiology.
They essentially allowed me to run wild in the hospital with my imagination, and ask questions, and that is how I arrived at all those abstract presentation and papers etc.
I think it all goes back to who has mentored you, especially in research.
Point being though, I am afraid I wont get an II due to my earlier academic performance, and those with no pubs but higher stats should be more optimistic!!
 
Well, I hope you do get an interview. They seem fairly holistic and more concerned with fit, and they don't have to worry as much about CCLCM-specific admissions stats, since theirs get absorbed into the general Case stats for reporting to AAMC, USNews, etc.

Hopefully we'll all see some IIs roll out this week!
 
Hi @adcom101
I wanted to know if there is anyway for us to send an update to the admission committee.
I just had one of my papers published today and is no longer embargoed, so I can disclose it in my resume, since it is published in a Journal with high impact factor I think it will grant merit to my application. Also, couple of weeks ago, 2 of my studies were also accepted for presentation at couple of upcoming cardiology conferences.
Is there anyway I could submit an Update to my application?
Thanks so much 🙂
 
Hi @adcom101
I wanted to know if there is anyway for us to send an update to the admission committee.
I just had one of my papers published today and is no longer embargoed, so I can disclose it in my resume, since it is published in a Journal with high impact factor I think it will grant merit to my application. Also, couple of weeks ago, 2 of my studies were also accepted for presentation at couple of upcoming cardiology conferences.
Is there anyway I could submit an Update to my application?
Thanks so much 🙂

I don't know the mechanics of that but I would certainly email Karen Wright. She can update for you. Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JUST GOT AN II OH MY GOD

(complete 7/21, LizzyM ~77, ugly crying)

*edit - only Mondays available right now... was hoping to do the thurs/fri combo because of work. I called and they're trying to work something out. *edit a few hours later - they added additional Fridays in October so I am all set :biglove:

I will also add that I have 0 publications. I have some good research experiences and a pub in the works but really only 2 abstracts under my belt, so don't think that you need pubs for an II here.
 
Last edited:
JUST GOT AN II OH MY GOD

(complete 7/21, LizzyM ~77, ugly crying)

*edit - only Mondays available right now... was hoping to do the thurs/fri combo because of work. I called and they're trying to work something out.

I will also add that I have 0 publications. I have some good research experiences and a pub in the works but really only 2 abstracts under my belt, so don't think that you need pubs for an II here.

Congrats on all your amazing IIs!!
 
II to the college and university tracks today! LizzyM ~80, complete 7/30. I'm also in the lots of research but no publications boat, so I definitely don't think it's necessary/required at CCLCM (to interview, at least).
I got a II too! I am really suprised that I got one. No pubs but a lot of hours in research.
First, congratulations to both of you on those IIs! Super exciting!
I for one am very glad to hear this. I have over three years of quality research experience, where I was heavily involved in two translational lab projects and one basic-science lab project, plus one molecular biology project on my own, but no pubs to show for it, not even an abstract, poster, or review! I have been promised to be recognized as a co-author eventually, but nothing ever got published by the people in charge for some reason or another, so I've been fretting about that. Thanks for putting me more at ease!
Good luck once again!
 
First, congratulations to both of you on those IIs! Super exciting!
I for one am very glad to hear this. I have over three years of quality research experience, where I was heavily involved in two translational lab projects and one basic-science lab project, plus one molecular biology project on my own, but no pubs to show for it, not even an abstract, poster, or review! I have been promised to be recognized as a co-author eventually, but nothing ever got published by the people in charge for some reason or another, so I've been fretting about that. Thanks for putting me more at ease!
Good luck once again!

I definitely feel you on that one! For my very first project that I started ~3 years ago, we just got to finalizing and submitting a manuscript this summer. Only to have it rejected a couple times so far... Science is a long journey haha
 
I definitely feel you on that one! For my very first project that I started ~3 years ago, we just got to finalizing and submitting a manuscript this summer. Only to have it rejected a couple times so far... Science is a long journey haha
Yeah, that is kind of frustrating! Well, hopefully with enough persistence we can get to where we want to in the end.... more or less 😵. Don't always have so much control. I mean that in terms of research in general, not just med school.
 
FYI if you get an II, the dates fill up REALLY fast. I was eyeing a Sept. date, but it's gone now and it's only been like 2 hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the ol' rejection email today, was complete on 7/28. Good luck to everyone else!!
Truly sorry to hear that, I know it will hurt when my app is complete and rejections start to come, and I can imagine what it's like for you. I wish you all the best luck with the rest of your schools!