2017-2018 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get interview love here lately?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Columbia is receptive to ITA (in the area) emails? I am from the midwest and trying not to live with crippling debt. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Columbia is receptive to ITA (in the area) emails? I am from the midwest and trying not to live with crippling debt. Thanks.
Yes, they are!

Yes, they are!

Are they only receptive to these types of calls if you have other scheduled interviews? For ex, I'm going to be in NYC for a personal trip, would it be valid to update them about this anyways?

Are they only receptive to these types of calls if you have other scheduled interviews? For ex, I'm going to be in NYC for a personal trip, would it be valid to update them about this anyways?
Sorry, not too sure about that. I'd recommend giving them a call and asking if you should send an email about that or not; that's what I did and they were super friendly.

II on Friday! Absolutely floored and incredibly excited to see the campus. Completed 7/19, LizzyM 76

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten an II for the Columbia Bassett program? I really love that program, but I haven't heard any updates from people who have applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an II for the Columbia Bassett program? I really love that program, but I haven't heard any updates from people who have applied.
I am also interested in that program but haven't heard from it. Hopefully we both get some good news from this program soon!

I am also interested in that program but haven't heard from it. Hopefully we both get some good news from this program soon!
Let me know if you do! I'd love to meet along the interview trail!

I applied for Columbia-Bassett, but I was rejected for that specific program in the same email in which I was extended an II. I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

congrats! do u remember what dates were available ?

I don't remember the specific dates, but it was a smattering of days in late October.

I applied for Columbia-Bassett, but I was rejected for that specific program in the same email in which I was extended an II. I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks so much for the update. You've probably posted this before, but could you tell us when you were complete?

Thanks so much for the update. You've probably posted this before, but could you tell us when you were complete?
No worries! I submitted my primary on 6/15 and my secondary for Columbia on 7/19. I received a "completed" email immediately after I submitted my secondary.

No worries! I submitted my primary on 6/15 and my secondary for Columbia on 7/19. I received a "completed" email immediately after I submitted my secondary.

Good luck with your interview!!

Is anyone else's portal not displaying any interview dates? I checked and every date (even into February) is not selectable. Probably something to call admissions about I guess.

Is anyone else's portal not displaying any interview dates? I checked and every date (even into February) is not selectable. Probably something to call admissions about I guess.
Weird. When I got my II on Friday I went on the portal and only oct 30 and 31 were available. I read somewhere that they fill a week completely before opening up spots for the next week so my only thought is that because of the weekend they haven’t opened up beginning of November yet?

My portal is showing dates in last two weeks of October are still open, so I'd call!

Ayeee II!! I sent an ITA email about a month ago, but they did not accommodate me

Reactions: 5 users
Ayeee II!! I sent an ITA email about a month ago, but they did not accommodate me
man that sucks that they couldn't accommodate you, but huge congrats on the interview! I sent Sinai an ITA email like a month ago and they haven't gotten back to me ii-wise so I wish they'd just reject me already ugh

For anyone who has interviewed, did they ever send you more details about the interview day schedule, or is the portal all you've got until the day of? I ask because they left a lot of time for interviews in both the morning and the afternoon with basically no other information. I'm assuming it is traditional style, but are there 2 or more? Any info appreciated! (because clearly I don't feel like contacting admissions myself :rolleyes:)

man that sucks that they couldn't accommodate you, but huge congrats on the interview! I sent Sinai an ITA email like a month ago and they haven't gotten back to me ii-wise so I wish they'd just reject me already ugh
Thanks! But hey you never know. I thought Columbia was going to hand me the R when they didn't accommodate my ITA request and I still ended up getting an II. Definitely could happen to you too. Also I've heard that Sinai isn't receptive to ITA requests

For anyone who has interviewed, did they ever send you more details about the interview day schedule, or is the portal all you've got until the day of? I ask because they left a lot of time for interviews in both the morning and the afternoon with basically no other information. I'm assuming it is traditional style, but are there 2 or more? Any info appreciated! (because clearly I don't feel like contacting admissions myself :rolleyes:)

Columbia only has one interview. It will be either morning or afternoon. You won't find out until the day of.

Columbia only has one interview. It will be either morning or afternoon. You won't find out until the day of.
Did your interview group have to stay the entire time?

Did your interview group have to stay the entire time?

I'm a current student but if past is any indication, if you have a morning interview you are free to leave after the tour which usually ends at ~2PM.

Thanks! But hey you never know. I thought Columbia was going to hand me the R when they didn't accommodate my ITA request and I still ended up getting an II. Definitely could happen to you too. Also I've heard that Sinai isn't receptive to ITA requests

What did they say in the email when they rejected your request?

Out of context, this sounds like the most mysterious and cruel interview process
just picturing getting the call: "Today is the day. Be here in half an hour."

I'm a current student but if past is any indication, if you have a morning interview you are free to leave after the tour which usually ends at ~2PM.
But there's no way to know if you will have a morning or an afternoon interview until the day of? Is that correct? I'm asking bc the latest flight back to CA leaves ~6 PM

It's true that P&S typically does one interview but - just so you're not taken by surprise - occasionally interviewees will also have a student interviewer. That's done totally and genuinely at random and it's, as much as anything else, an opportunity for you to get an upperclassman's perspective on the school.

What did they say in the email when they rejected your request?
They didn't reject my request. They just didn't accommodate it. I said I'd be ITA on X dates. They said fasho and then invited me for an interview like 4 weeks later, but my requested date was obviously already filled by then

I submitted an update to the school, but can't access it on the site. Did this happen to anyone? Does it disappear but they still see it, or did it not go through?

I submitted an update to the school, but can't access it on the site. Did this happen to anyone? Does it disappear but they still see it, or did it not go through?

Same thing happened to me, I also received a confirmation email the next day (I think?) that they had received my update and had added it to my file.

I'm not sure, but I hope to send an update in as well and will let you know what I discover. It may or may not go in today.

yes this happened to me too. I think it's fine if they did not get it, you would not have gotten the email. I think their system is set up this way so that you do not delete updates.

Did anyone else get an email from the first year admissions representative for P&S? It was an email talking about how great the school and area are.

I got an e mail too.... Did you two already interview here?

Are there any URMs who have gotten interviewed here yet? If so what are your stats? Application complete: 07/20

Lol so at this point is no news good news? I have a LizzyM~78, not a lot of clinical hrs (~400), and a pending publication, and I have not heard anything from a single school although I was complete everywhere by end of July. Are basically all apps in at this point? Do they now just go back through? I don't know whether to still have hope at these places lol. Unfortunately I think I overestimaed myself as an applicant and only applied to relatively top tier schools (almost all within top 25 I think), and Im afraid now that Im just not going to get an II from anywhere other than my in state. It seems like no one is getting rejected for MD yet tho.

Reactions: 3 users