2017-2018 Hofstra University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If anyone with an interview date in Jan is planning on withdrawing or if anyone who is driving (and has flexible plans) is interested in an earlier date, please let me know. I had to cancel my date on Dec. 1 because of work schedule and since then have been waiting for a date to open up so I can still attend the interview.

Right now, someone recently dropped Dec. 19, which I would love to attend on that day, but unfortunately flights from where I live are running over $800! I'm trying to see if I can confirm a date farther out when prices are half that. So if anyone doesn't need to fly in and wouldn't mind switching or is planning on dropping Jan, let me know. Thought it was worth a try. Thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone want to be a brave volunteer and ask admissions when we can expect decisions? :artist:

latest
 
If anyone with an interview date in Jan is planning on withdrawing or if anyone who is driving (and has flexible plans) is interested in an earlier date, please let me know. I had to cancel my date on Dec. 1 because of work schedule and since then have been waiting for a date to open up so I can still attend the interview.

Right now, someone recently dropped Dec. 19, which I would love to attend on that day, but unfortunately flights from where I live are running over $800! I'm trying to see if I can confirm a date farther out when prices are half that. So if anyone doesn't need to fly in and wouldn't mind switching or is planning on dropping Jan, let me know. Thought it was worth a try. Thanks!!
January 3rd was showing up as available for me, unless you were talking about further out than that.


Also, anyone know how often they open new interview dates?
 
Last edited:
January 3rd was showing up as available for me, unless you were talking about further out than that.


Also, anyone know how often they open new interview dates?

Was that recently? I've been checking semi-regularly and haven't noticed anything else available. I don't think they open new interview dates. It seems like the only dates that become available now are when someone drops. I know the admissions office told me to keep checking as dates sometimes become available. Trouble is they usually haven't been opening up until a week or so before the interview and then flights are crazy expensive!
 
Last edited:
Also if anyone has anything to add about what makes Hofstra great, I'd like to know. I've been debating on not attending the interview to save money. But something about Hofstra still draws me, even though not sure I'd like the area and being so close to NYC. If any current students or people who've interviewed/are familiar with the school have any thoughts or would like to share more about their experiences and what makes Hofstra worth considering, please share. Thanks.
 
Was that recently? I've been checking semi-regularly and haven't noticed anything else available. I don't think they open new interview dates. It seems like the only dates that become available now are when someone drops. I know the admissions office told me to keep checking as dates sometimes become available. Trouble is they usually haven't been opening up until a week or so before the interview and then flights are crazy expensive!
It was there when I checked a couple hours ago.

But wow, I really hope that isn't the case. :/
 
I interviewed on the 3rd week of November. I wonder whether there's any chance my cohort would be included in the upcoming mid-Dec acceptance release. Good luck to everyone, especially to my interview groupie! 😍
 
I interviewed on the 3rd week of November. I wonder whether there's any chance my cohort would be included in the upcoming mid-Dec acceptance release. Good luck to everyone, especially to my interview groupie! 😍

I think they said mid-December. Definitely before the end of the year. That's at least what I remember Chris(?), the admissions guy, say before we all broke out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed on October 4th. They told us we would hear back December/ early January. Has anyone from that round of interviews heard back with a decision?
 
All of their IIs have gone out on mondays, so maybe well here somthing after the weekend.
 
All of their IIs have gone out on mondays, so maybe well here somthing after the weekend.

Sorry to be a downer, but I received my interview invitation on a Wednesday. Regardless, we have a month's wait left, at most. Hang tight.
 
I was invited to interview yesterday (Thursday). For anyone that is interviewing/has interviewed, is there any advice for how we should fly into and travel to Hofstra from the airport?
 
I flew into LGA, took a cab to LIRR station in Jamaica, took the LIRR to Hempstead station, and took a cab to my hotel/campus.

There is a way to use public transportation to get from LGA to LIRR stations that will take you to Hempstead but it was a little confusing so I went with a cab instead.

(LIRR = Long Island Rail Road)
 
I flew into LGA, took a cab to LIRR station in Jamaica, took the LIRR to Hempstead station, and took a cab to my hotel/campus.

There is a way to use public transportation to get from LGA to LIRR stations that will take you to Hempstead but it was a little confusing so I went with a cab instead.

(LIRR = Long Island Rail Road)

never fly into LGA. Always go JFK
 
I was invited to interview yesterday (Thursday). For anyone that is interviewing/has interviewed, is there any advice for how we should fly into and travel to Hofstra from the airport?
Consider flying into Islip it's cheaper and the same distance on the LIRR. Do JFK if you want to visit the city though.
 
Last edited:
@7331poas Why JFK over LGA? In the last three years I have made over 15 trips into and from NYC, all through LGA, and they have been fine. I only ever do JFK if im going international.
 
@7331poas lol ok if you care that much about the airport you are landing in. To me as long as everything lands and departs on time with no excess hassle, im good.

@Dapper03 I would just go with whichever flight is cheaper.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was asking where on the portal because I don't see anything that says that. I interviewed earlier though so maybe it's different.

Did you check out the Welcome tab on the portal? That is where it says we would hear by mid January. I interviewed in October, so indeed it could be different for us if you interviewed at a significantly different time. The email titled "Interview Complete" mentions the same information by the way.
 
Did you check out the Welcome tab on the portal? That is where it says we would hear by mid January. I interviewed in October, so indeed it could be different for us if you interviewed at a significantly different time. The email titled "Interview Complete" mentions the same information by the way.
Thanks for pointing this out, I wouldn't have noticed it in the portal. I interviewed in Nov. and it also says they'll get back to me in mid-January.
 
@7331poas lol ok if you care that much about the airport you are landing in. To me as long as everything lands and departs on time with no excess hassle, im good.

@Dapper03 I would just go with whichever flight is cheaper.

@nywst Thanks! La Guardia ended up being cheaper by a long haul so I ended up going with that. Do you mind disclosing how much you spent traveling to/from La Guardia?
 
If anyone with an interview date in Jan is planning on withdrawing or if anyone who is driving (and has flexible plans) is interested in an earlier date, please let me know. I had to cancel my date on Dec. 1 because of work schedule and since then have been waiting for a date to open up so I can still attend the interview.

Right now, someone recently dropped Dec. 19, which I would love to attend on that day, but unfortunately flights from where I live are running over $800! I'm trying to see if I can confirm a date farther out when prices are half that. So if anyone doesn't need to fly in and wouldn't mind switching or is planning on dropping Jan, let me know. Thought it was worth a try. Thanks!!

Just withdrew from an interview scheduled for Jan 9. Good luck!
 
So....looks like I survived the rejection slaughter house a couple weeks ago...but I still haven't heard anything back since being complete on 9/6. Anyone in a similar bucket?
 
If we're interviewing after they release the first batch of decisions, could we just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?

Wondering the same thing. Since I had to reschedule my Dec interview to later, don't want to spend all the money to go if my chances of an acceptance are low.
 
Last edited:
They say they have rolling admissions, I just don't know how rolling... I couldn't really find anything on last year's thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Decided to withdraw my application/interview. Good luck to all of you waiting for a decision post interview, to those interviewing in the future, and to those waiting for an II!
 
Last edited:
Called admissions - said they'll send out decisions by email before they break for holidays at the end of this weekend

EDIT: holy **** we posted at the same time, triangular! LOL
when you talked to them on the phone, did they say all acceptances are going out friday, or just acceptances for people that interviewed in sept-oct?
 
when you talked to them on the phone, did they say all acceptances are going out friday, or just acceptances for people that interviewed in sept-oct?

At my early dec interview, they said they would likely send some acceptances before the holiday break to early interviewers because they like spreading some pre-holiday joy, but that my group should not expect to hear then, if that helps at all