2017-2018 Hofstra University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my early dec interview, they said they would likely send some acceptances before the holiday break to early interviewers because they like spreading some pre-holiday joy, but that my group should not expect to hear then, if that helps at all
Their office of admissions is pretty great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratz to all that got accepted! Did anyone who interviewed in the second half of November hear back?
 
Congratz to all that got accepted! Did anyone who interviewed in the second half of November hear back?

Interviewed 11/20 and heard nothing still :/. I also remember being told that we should hear something mid-december, so hopefully we'll hear something Thursday or Friday before they break.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thinking of dropping my interview here due to the costs of getting to Long Island... thoughts? 5 interviews so far, 1 WL and still waiting to hear from the rest, 3 more interviews on the way and I'm broke. But I don't wanna put my foot in my mouth by not attending more interviews without an acceptance yet.
 
Thinking of dropping my interview here due to the costs of getting to Long Island... thoughts? 5 interviews so far, 1 WL and still waiting to hear from the rest, 3 more interviews on the way and I'm broke. But I don't wanna put my foot in my mouth by not attending more interviews without an acceptance yet.

I know how you feel man. You could postpone this one and see if you get in somewhere else first. That way you can withdraw and cost won't be an issue. That being said, I'm not sure how long you would be able to postpone for.
 
Thinking of dropping my interview here due to the costs of getting to Long Island... thoughts? 5 interviews so far, 1 WL and still waiting to hear from the rest, 3 more interviews on the way and I'm broke. But I don't wanna put my foot in my mouth by not attending more interviews without an acceptance yet.

I hear you! I've only been on a couple of interviews, and I'm broke. It was really expensive for me to get there, for almost all of the dates that were available. Kept trying to make it work but ultimately decided to drop my interview because didn't know how I was going to afford it.

I'd say, think about your financial situation, how much you'd think you'd like to live on Long Island, like Hofstra's PBL curriculum, etc. to decide if it's worth it to you. I know that's a hard decision to make without having an acceptance yet. But with all the interviews you've got lined up, I'd imagine you're likely to get an acceptance somewhere. But if you think the school might be a great fit and somewhere you'd like to go, if you have the money, why not attend?
 
I know how you feel man. You could postpone this one and see if you get in somewhere else first. That way you can withdraw and cost won't be an issue. That being said, I'm not sure how long you would be able to postpone for.

Great idea, thanks!

I hear you! I've only been on a couple of interviews, and I'm broke. It was really expensive for me to get there, for almost all of the dates that were available. Kept trying to make it work but ultimately decided to drop my interview because didn't know how I was going to afford it.

I'd say, think about your financial situation, how much you'd think you'd like to live on Long Island, like Hofstra's PBL curriculum, etc. to decide if it's worth it to you. I know that's a hard decision to make without having an acceptance yet. But with all the interviews you've got lined up, I'd imagine you're likely to get an acceptance somewhere. But if you think the school might be a great fit and somewhere you'd like to go, if you have the money, why not attend?

thanks for your insight! Great point about Hofstra's PBL, which I'm not the biggest fan of. That waitlist just shook my confidence though, I'm terrified that I won't get accepted somewhere. The cost of getting to Long Island just might not be worth it for me. I hope someone else here gets my II.
 
In the acceptance letter it says: "A response is required by January 3, 2018 in order for us to initiate the processing of your matriculation"

does the 'response' just entail us to activate our account and log into the hofstra portal? I know the deposit isnt due until April 30th, but I want to make sure I do what is necessary before jan 3rd
 
Having trouble logging into the terms & conditions page regardless of which browser I've tried.

Is our username the ID number provided in the acceptance letter? The website is glitching at and has a blank space where it's supposed to list out the username.

I think the username is h then your hofstra id number
 
In the acceptance letter it says: "A response is required by January 3, 2018 in order for us to initiate the processing of your matriculation"

does the 'response' just entail us to activate our account and log into the hofstra portal? I know the deposit isnt due until April 30th, but I want to make sure I do what is necessary before jan 3rd

I think you have to pay the deposit by Jan 3rd but it is refundable till April 30th. The letter only mentions Jan 3rd and the terms and conditions says "Your deposit must be received by the date indicated on your letter of acceptance and is refundable until midnight on April 30, 2018 (excludes the Early Decision Program)".
 
@NoMD4Me Good luck with whatever you decide. I know it's a hard decision. I agree with the previous post, you might be able to postpone it for a little bit (if a late interview date is open) to see if one of your schools does accept you.

I actually had booked a flight for a early Dec interview but cancelled due to some changes at work. That was a difficult decision. In essence, I "dropped" it without having an acceptance anywhere yet.

I thought about what I really wanted beyond just the school, etc. There were definitely things about Hofstra that attracted me, but just don't think I'd like living in the area, etc.

Again good luck! I know how hard it is to give up an interview when we work so hard to get one in the first place.
 
Last edited:
For those unable to see the Terms and Conditions, I contacted the admissions office and they told me to try to clear cookies and cache, which worked. Once you access the page, payment of the $100 deposit secures your spot in the class and is considered an acceptance of the terms and conditions.

If it matters, I used Chrome as my browser.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any interviewees from after 11/15 heard anything yesterday? I still have my fingers crossed for today, but I'm trying not to hold my breath... The suspense is painful!
 
Have any interviewees from after 11/15 heard anything yesterday? I still have my fingers crossed for today, but I'm trying not to hold my breath... The suspense is painful!

Interviewed 11/20! Still nothing :/. They may not have gotten to the mid/late Nov. Interviewers yet!