2017-2018 Howard University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My sGPA is 2.94, does anyone know if I have a chance at Howard? Has anyone gotten an II or acceptance with anything lower than a sGPA of 3.0?
How was your process been going thus far? My sGpa is similar and I am trying to decide if I should apply this upcoming cycle or not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering, how has your process be going? my science gpa is around that as well, and im trying to decid eif i should apply this upcoming cycle.
I definitely recommend applying to Ohio State if you are going to apply. They have a program called Medpath (average gpa/sgpa of people accepted 3.1/3.0 I believe) that is a 1 year post-bacc program with a conditional acceptance into their school (you need a 3.0 in the program and a 499 (27 old MCAT) MCAT score to meet the conditions). But you do have to apply to their actual MD program to be referred to it. I’ve heard that around 150 people are referred, 100 people fill out the application, 30 people interview, and 15 are accepted so the odds are higher than MD programs and you can really use the extra year to prep for year 1. I’m currently waiting to hear back for interviews for it!
 
Hi everyone,

I know that in the secondary email they mentioned that the portal was for internal purposes only...but I wanted to look just out of curiosity..in the portal under "Status" does anyone else's say "Interview: Not scheduled yet" I'm wondering if that means an invite is coming or if this is just a default setting
 
Hi everyone,

I know that in the secondary email they mentioned that the portal was for internal purposes only...but I wanted to look just out of curiosity..in the portal under "Status" does anyone else's say "Interview: Not scheduled yet" I'm wondering if that means an invite is coming or if this is just a default setting

Default setting..I have had it for months.
 
I definitely recommend applying to Ohio State if you are going to apply. They have a program called Medpath (average gpa/sgpa of people accepted 3.1/3.0 I believe) that is a 1 year post-bacc program with a conditional acceptance into their school (you need a 3.0 in the program and a 499 (27 old MCAT) MCAT score to meet the conditions). But you do have to apply to their actual MD program to be referred to it. I’ve heard that around 150 people are referred, 100 people fill out the application, 30 people interview, and 15 are accepted so the odds are higher than MD programs and you can really use the extra year to prep for year 1. I’m currently waiting to hear back for interviews for it!
Thanks I’ll look into it
 
For those of you who have received an interview,

did anyone also receive a second email regarding the completion of the screening of your secondary?
 
For those of you who have received an interview,

did anyone also receive a second email regarding the completion of the screening of your secondary?

I got an email a couple of days after sending in my secondary (9/05/17) received no other communication between this email and my II (2/22/18).

“This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and a preliminary review has taken place....”
 
I got an email a couple of days after sending in my secondary (9/05/17) received no other communication between this email and my II (2/22/18).

“This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and a preliminary review has taken place....”

Same, except I haven't had the privilege of receiving an interview yet. Still keeping hope.

Another question for all:

Has anyone who completed their secondary after Sept/Oct been granted an interview?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who received the email to join the HUCM Class of 2022 Facebook group been able to join? When I click the link, it says that the page is unavailable.

In case you're wondering, I found the email to join the Facebook group in the "Social" tab in my personal gmail account (also the same email that I use for AMCAS)

P.S. Congrats to those who got II's! You can do this!!
 
anyone know how internationally friendly they are. been waiting forever and dont know if I have any luck applying. my scores are 511 and a 3.9cgpa =P
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who received the email to join the HUCM Class of 2022 Facebook group been able to join? When I click the link, it says that the page is unavailable.

In case you're wondering, I found the email to join the Facebook group in the "Social" tab in my personal gmail account (also the same email that I use for AMCAS)

P.S. Congrats to those who got II's! You can do this!!
you have to use the email address that they sent the invite to. easiest way is to add that email address to your facebook account and retry the link.
 
I cant believe you guys haven't figure this out.. Howard is interviewing MCAT < 505 and Gpa - 3.1 - 3.5 range. Anyone within those stats are on their radars.
 
So I updated them and this is the response I got... It feels like such a bitter rejection it hurts. Sorry I couldn't screen shot it on my computer

Hello,
Thank you for considering Howard University College of Medicine.
We have updated this information in your primary application.
Again, thank you for your interest. We wish you the best as you pursue your goal to study medicine.

April Hicks
Admissions Assistant
Howard University College of Medicine
:
Office of Admissions
 
So I updated them and this is the response I got... It feels like such a bitter rejection it hurts. Sorry I couldn't screen shot it on my computer

Hello,
Thank you for considering Howard University College of Medicine.
We have updated this information in your primary application.
Again, thank you for your interest. We wish you the best as you pursue your goal to study medicine.

April Hicks
Admissions Assistant
Howard University College of Medicine
:
Office of Admissions

Lol I'm pretty sure that's just the standard email they send. I got the same thing when I sent an update through e-mail. Also still hoping and waiting for an II.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, Congrats! Real Life jealous lol
Our stats are relatively close, I'm wondering when you submitted your secondary because I received my complete email the same day as you!

Thank you! I think it was submitted a couple days before 11/2 because I had to call them to have my secondary sent to me again because I didn't receive it the first time.
 
I think it's case by case...i only know one person who's done that but it was a different program at HU. I wouldn't recommend it unless you think matriculating this fall would hurt more than help you.