2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. Oh my goodness. I am shaking. I didn’t think it was possible. Oh my goodness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, accepted! :eek: Felt out of my league here back in August, so I'm totally awed.

Reactions: 10 users
Alternate list as well... was expecting an outright rejection so this is good news! alternate list is equivalent to waitlist, right?

Accepted!!!!! I thought I bombed my faculty interview so I’m so so surprised and thrilled :happy:

Reactions: 7 users
Admitted! I completely swore i bombed the student interview omg

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm absolutely attending here, so I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at Second Look/in the fall!!

Reactions: 10 users
anyone know when/how the alternate list moves?

Reactions: 1 users
Did everyone submit 3 LORs or more? they seem to make it pretty clear that they don't encourage additional letters pre-interview. But what about post interview? Anyone know/ask if additional LORs were advantageous post II ?

Congratulations to all those who are accepted. Can you share your interview date?

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooooooo! my hands were shaking going from that decision email to the final letter lol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heyo, current MS3. Post-step and in rotationland, so I can try my best to offer some insight into life beyond preclinicals. We had some nice FAQs aggregated in previous JHU-specific threads, but now that I'm 3 years out from matriculation I think I'm woefully behind the times with respect to the application process.

Med school has its highs and lows, but the tl;dr is that I've had ~*no ragrets*~ about joining JHops. So far they've treated me pretty darn well; my mentors are truly remarkable and my classmates are A+++.

Good luck to all and don't overthink the application process! I know it's easy for me say since I'm so far removed from it, but just try to keep an open mind and enjoy the interview process – it can actually be a pretty fun journey.

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but can you tell us when during the curriculum do the majority of Hopkins students take the Step 1? How much study time are you given and where in the curriculum do you guys fit that? Thank you!!

anyone know when/how the alternate list moves?

I believe it starts moving shortly after April 30 (the deadline for holding multiple acceptances).

Did everyone submit 3 LORs or more? they seem to make it pretty clear that they don't encourage additional letters pre-interview. But what about post interview? Anyone know/ask if additional LORs were advantageous post II ?

I submitted a committee letter and then submitted another letter in addition to my committee letter. I don’t think the extra letter hurt me, and I know it was a pretty strong letter so it might have helped!

Congratulations to all those who are accepted. Can you share your interview date?

I interviewed in August!

I believe it starts moving shortly after April 30 (the deadline for holding multiple acceptances).

I submitted a committee letter and then submitted another letter in addition to my committee letter. I don’t think the extra letter hurt me, and I know it was a pretty strong letter so it might have helped!

I interviewed in August!
Can you please share your stats if you don't mind?

I interviewed in August!
accepted. interviewed early sept.
congratulations

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but can you tell us when during the curriculum do the majority of Hopkins students take the Step 1? How much study time are you given and where in the curriculum do you guys fit that? Thank you!!

Not sure for you guys at the moment; they're pioneering a variety of different options for the class of '20 right now. Many Med20 peeps I've talked to aren't even 100% sure what their schedule will look like yet. Most will have the option of taking it pre-rotations (March-May block) or after one rotation (June-August block), but there may be a few who take it after 2 or 3 rotations. Maybe there'll be some who get the option of taking it after all their rotations? I believe you'll still get one whole quarter (9 weeks) to study, which can be merged with a break (+2w for spring break, +4.5w if merging with a summer "vacation" period). Not exactly the most in-the-loop, I apologise. This is a great question for Second Look or the folks in Med20/Med21.

I took my Step exam in May of MS2 (pre-rotations) along with roughly half my class. The other half of the class took their Step around August, after taking a rotation. The amount of time I got – relative to my med student friends at other institutions – was generous (~11 weeks, since it was merged with spring break). I took about 7 weeks to study and used the leftover time for holiday. ;)

That said, the word on the street is that Hopkins does not "teach to Step." I think they're trying to get the curriculum to align more closely with First Aid and the NBME outlines(?) but we'll have to see if any appreciable difference in scores/amount of study time taken changes. I don't have an official step average for our class and a lot of this may be skewed by reporting bias, but the Class of '19 seems to have scored really well.

Anyhow, congrats on the first wave of acceptances! To those in the waiting game, hold fast hope. There's some good movement here. To those rejected – sending y'all good vibes. It's a tough and unpredictable game.

Reactions: 3 users
II today around 3pm for early February interview date!

II today omg, after only rejections for the last 3 months. I should give up on trying to make sense of this process o_O

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else post-interview and still hasn't heard back? Interviewed in October.

Just got a notif that my school address received a package (but im about... a few thousand miles away and several weeks from returning)

Not sure what's in the package, so anyone know if Hopkins sends post-acceptance packages and if there's anything time sensitive in there?

Just got a notif that my school address received a package (but im about... a few thousand miles away and several weeks from returning)

Not sure what's in the package, so anyone know if Hopkins sends post-acceptance packages and if there's anything time sensitive in there?

I do not recall ever receiving a post-acceptance package via snail mail. I could be wrong though.

Did anyone else see their rejection letter on the portal on 12/12 but not receive an email? Do they only send emails to accepted applicants?

Did anyone else see their rejection letter on the portal on 12/12 but not receive an email? Do they only send emails to accepted applicants?

+1

Got waitlisted via portal on 12/12, but only got the email today.

Last edited:
Weirdly I was waitlisted on 12/12 with no email and I just got an email 2 hours ago with "decision available online" that linked me to the same message.. heart attack round 2

I interviewed here last month and am starting to feel like there's no way I'll get accepted with my stats (LM68). GPA and MCAT both fall below the ranges of matriculating students. any thoughts?
Anything’s possible! I had an LM <70 and I was accepted last week

Reactions: 2 users
Anything’s possible! I had an LM <70 and I was accepted last week

Thank you so much for your reply! I needed to hear that- it didn't necessarily make me hopeful, but at least now I know my chances aren't in the negatives :laugh:! Congratulations on your acceptance!

I interviewed here last month and am starting to feel like there's no way I'll get accepted with my stats (LM68). GPA and MCAT both fall below the ranges of matriculating students. any thoughts?

You got an interview, so clearly they are at least thinking about accepting you! Don't discount yourself until you know something for sure! :)

Hi there! To anyone who's interviewed already, do you remember around what time the interview day ended? I'm buying plane tickets and I don't want to cut it too close.

Hi there! To anyone who's interviewed already, do you remember around what time the interview day ended? I'm buying plane tickets and I don't want to cut it too close.
Mine ended around 4:30

Does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances go out? Thanks!

II! Complete late September. Date given was early Feb

Reactions: 5 users
When do people decide on housing for med school? Is SLW too late, or should we be looking before that?

When do people decide on housing for med school? Is SLW too late, or should we be looking before that?

Second look weekend isn’t to late. I would say most people found housing around May/June last year