2020-2021 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the second look event in-person?

Members don't see this ad.

Also accepted last night and so thrilled!!! Is there a FB group or group chat going on? I feel like I need to catch up in terms of fin aid & thinking about housing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone sent an update to ms. mazza post-interview and if so did you receive any confirmation email for it?

Where does it say that it is all on Zoom? The itinerary they sent has items like "Lunch with Faculty" and "A Night in Baltimore" so I'm very confused 😅
I emailed the Second Look committee because I was also confused by the wording, and they confirmed that the whole thing is through Zoom!

I sent an update post-interview and received an email confirmation from Ms. Mazza saying they added it to my application.
do you happen to remember how quickly she responded? its been a few days since i sent an update with no response :/ not sure if i should bump her or if thats too annoying for them

how can i get access to the FB group? do they keep a list of admitted applicants? i just sent a request

Hi all, just came to say that in addition to the match concerns which are rattling the school right now, a classmate of mine was very recently robbed at gunpoint in their own home, and almost kidnapped as well. This is immensely scary and hits close to home, I am currently thinking strongly about getting out of Baltimore for residency at all costs. Crime spikes in the summer time and I am terrified of what this year may bring. I have liked the city and school here thus far, but this simply is not worth it for me—particularly when the school is continuously making cuts to programs that were designed to keep students safe.

• Wow
  • Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just got my financial aid e-mail. No scholarships here, only loans 😕 Not sure if I'll be able to afford that 😔

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, just came to say that in addition to the match concerns which are rattling the school right now, a classmate of mine was very recently robbed at gunpoint in their own home, and almost kidnapped as well. This is immensely scary and hits close to home, I am currently thinking strongly about getting out of Baltimore for residency at all costs. Crime spikes in the summer time and I am terrified of what this year may bring. I have liked the city and school here thus far, but this simply is not worth it for me—particularly when the school is continuously making cuts to programs that were designed to keep students safe.
just wondering what programs were there for student safety and how are they being cut? This would be really helpful to know. Also, are there safe areas to live? A big building with a doorman? Just wondering if there is a way to do it somewhat safely. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
just wondering what programs were there for student safety and how are they being cut? This would be really helpful to know. Also, are there safe areas to live? A big building with a doorman? Just wondering if there is a way to do it somewhat safely. Thank you!
Theres a free lyft program in the mornings and evenings that will go to or from Hopkins to the surrounding areas where people live. Theres also a Hopkins university police department in the works. I dont know what any school could do to prevent something happening to someone inside their own house.

I’ll also add that, while I can’t 100% confirm that the incident mentioned above didn’t happen, there has been absolutely 0 mention of any sort of in-home robbery/kidnapping situation from Hopkins security, admin, or even in student groupme’s. An incident like that would or should have been reported or at least discussed among students before being posted to strangers on an online forum. Hopkins security also sends out prompt email alerts of any incidents that occur on campus and/or to Hopkins faculty/students/staff. Neighborhood Facebook groups discuss crimes involving residents. None of this has happened in regard to the incident described above, to my knowledge. Along with the dubious claims of reduced security programs for students, I question the veracity of the very serious claims made by @hopkinsthrowaway2021 . Crime has been exacerbated nationally due to COVID-related factors, yet Hopkins has made concerted efforts over the past few years to increase safety on and around campus.
I also hadnt heard a peep about this incident, but I also hadnt heard about my friend's house getting broken into until they told me. I think Hopkins only sends the alerts when stuff happens around their campuses.

Penn had to create their own police department a few years back due to increasing crime around the edges of west philly campus, and apparently it worked well, part of what made Hopkins start the process of doing the same thing. They're trying to help the issue it's just a very long process requiring state legislation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my financial aid e-mail. No scholarships here, only loans 😕 Not sure if I'll be able to afford that 😔
In the same exact situation here and feeling super stresso rn :( Feel free to reach out if you want to talk about the decision process (I know I'm certainly agonizing over it)

• Care
I know that folks were discussing this a week or so ago, but I wonder if anyone has any additional clarity regarding what happened with this year's match at Hopkins (or would be willing to explain for someone late to the discussion). I'm trying to better understand the following --
  • What scale of an issue was this? I realize that, as a premed, I can interpret every speed bump as a disaster. Was this as bad it seems from the outside?
  • I understand that folks interested in matching into ortho were particularly affected. Was the problem limited to ortho or was it more widespread?
  • Do we know the general match rate? Or have any information regarding how many students were happy with their match? (I have never seen the latter question surveyed so I realize it's unlikely.)
Thank you!

If we accept our Hopkins financial aid award through the Student Information System portal, that doesn't commit us to attend, right?

I’ll also add that, while I can’t 100% confirm that the incident mentioned above didn’t happen, there has been absolutely 0 mention of any sort of in-home robbery/kidnapping situation from Hopkins security, admin, or even in student groupme’s. An incident like that would or should have been reported or at least discussed among students before being posted to strangers on an online forum. Hopkins security also sends out prompt email alerts of any incidents that occur on campus and/or to Hopkins faculty/students/staff. Neighborhood Facebook groups discuss crimes involving bunnies. None of this has happened in regard to the incident described above, to my knowledge. Along with the dubious claims of reduced security programs for students, I question the veracity of the very serious claims made by @hopkinsthrowaway2021 . Crime has been exacerbated nationally due to COVID-related factors, yet Hopkins has made concerted efforts over the past few years to increase safety on and around campus.
I want to protect the anonymity of the person involved. However, it certainly happened. If you want to look into it, it was posted about on the Patterson Park Neighbors fb group. The school only notifies us about on campus crimes, as @efle said.

Last edited:
I know that folks were discussing this a week or so ago, but I wonder if anybunny has any additional clarity regarding what happened with this year's match at Hopkins (or would be willing to explain for someone late to the discussion). I'm trying to better understand the following --
  • What scale of an issue was this? I realize that, as a chick, I can interpret every speed bump as a disaster. Was this as bad it seems from the outside?
  • I understand that folks interested in matching into ortho were particularly affected. Was the problem limited to ortho or was it more widespread?
  • Do we know the general match rate? Or have any information regarding how many students were happy with their match? (I have never seen the latter question surveyed so I realize it's unlikely.)
Bless you!
In the interest of transparency for y'alls decision making, here is what I've gathered. This is largely through the grapevine, and could have incorrect info. Any other current students please correct me.

This is large scale, relatively. In my first couple years we had 0-1 unmatched. Over the last two years it's totaled at least a dozen. Ortho has been a repeat offender, but they're not alone - ENT had a similar number unmatched and Ophtho has had unmatched applicants both years. If I recall correctly in just the last two years it's happened in Ortho (multiple), ENT (multiple), Plastics, Urology, Ophtho (multiple). I think I'm missing something there too, maybe Derm. Worth mentioning that we have also had near-misses, with people fortunately matching on ranklists with only a few ranks. Also multiple people matching to programs that are 1-2 years old, not that being young means a program isn't quality.

To my knowledge, no match difficulties outside of competitive specialties.

There's no data on any of this that I know of. It's all word of mouth. For all we know, other "top 5" "top 10" med schools could have had similar matches without word reaching SDN.

Anyone have any idea what waitlist movement is typically like here?
I can't give exact numbers or percentages but, it seems like there is always a good amount of movement on the WL each year. I know many people in each class that came off the waitlist so don't lose hope! :)

For others on the waitlist, did you get an email confirming you are on the waitlist after filling out the alternate list form they sent out? I submitted the form a few days ago but I did not get any confirmation and am wondering how to check whether it went through.

For others on the waitlist, did you get an email confirming you are on the waitlist after filling out the alternate list form they sent out? I submitted the form a few days ago but I did not get any confirmation and am wondering how to check whether it went through.
Nope, didn't get any email confirmation either

In the interest of transparency for y'alls decision making, here is what I've gathered. This is largely through the grapevine, and could have incorrect info. Any other current students please correct me.

This is large scale, relatively. In my first couple years we had 0-1 unmatched. Over the last two years it's totaled at least a dozen. Ortho has been a repeat offender, but they're not alone - ENT had a similar number unmatched and Ophtho has had unmatched applicants both years. If I recall correctly in just the last two years it's happened in Ortho (multiple), ENT (multiple), Plastics, Urology, Ophtho (multiple). I think I'm missing something there too, maybe Derm. Worth mentioning that we have also had near-misses, with people fortunately matching on ranklists with only a few ranks. Also multiple people matching to programs that are 1-2 years old, not that being young means a program isn't quality.

To my knowledge, no match difficulties outside of competitive specialties.

There's no data on any of this that I know of. It's all word of mouth. For all we know, other "top 5" "top 10" med schools could have had similar matches without word reaching SDN.
Can confirm that other top schools have had a similar issue--I know of at least 2 other top 5 schools with similar % of unmatched, heard from friends who attend those schools.

Can confirm that other top schools have had a similar issue--I know of at least 2 other top 5 schools with similar % of unmatched, heard from friends who attend those schools.
Unfortunate to hear, but good to know its not just JH. Thanks

What are Hopkins's PTE and CTE deadlines? Also, am I correct in my assumption that PTE is nonbonding whereas CTE is binding? If you are considering two schools that both have PTE deadlines of 4/30 but CTE deadlines later in the year, does this mean that you must choose between the two of them by 4/30?

What are Hopkins's PTE and CTE deadlines? Also, am I correct in my assumption that PTE is nonbonding whereas CTE is binding? If you are considering two schools that both have PTE deadlines of 4/30 but CTE deadlines later in the year, does this mean that you must choose between the two of them by 4/30?
YES!!! That is precisely what "reduce to one A by 4/30 while staying on WLs" means. Pretty much all schools have a 4/30 PTE deadline, and some have their CTE deadline on that date as well! If you have an A, they should have told you what the dates are. You can also check their website, but all schools do not have accurate or the most recent information on the web.

With limited exceptions granted by schools for specific reasons (waiting for fin aid, recently being called off a WL, etc.), you are not allowed to hold more than one A after 4/30, and doing so can cause you to lose your A at every school where you have not selected PTE (you can only select one school as PTE/CTE).

Does anyone know when white coat ceremony usually is, pre-covid? Is it something that family attends?

Does anyone know when white coat ceremony usually is, pre-covid? Is it something that family attends?
Pre-COVID the official white coat ceremony happens the spring of your first year usually around April! And yes, family is encouraged to attend :)
There is a "stethoscope ceremony" that happens your first semester sometime after the anatomy course is over. Family can come for this as well, but it isn't as big as the official white coat ceremony in the spring! :D

• Love
Is there any Waitlist movement yet?

Quick question--I withdrew from all other schools besides Hopkins this morning, but I just got an acceptance call off the waitlist from another school like an hour ago. Am I technically sitting on two acceptances now? It seems absurd that they would expect me to make a decision by the end of today, but I don't want Hopkins to rescind my acceptance due to this last-second acceptance from another school. The other school said they would give me 15 days to decide, but I haven't heard back from Hopkins (being on the East Coast, I don't think Val will see my email until Monday).

Quick question--I withdrew from all other schools besides Hopkins this morning, but I just got an acceptance call off the waitlist from another school like an hour ago. Am I technically sitting on two acceptances now? It seems absurd that they would expect me to make a decision by the end of today, but I don't want Hopkins to rescind my acceptance due to this last-second acceptance from another school. The other school said they would give me 15 days to decide, but I haven't heard back from Hopkins (being on the East Coast, I don't think Val will see my email until Monday).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that as long as you don't formally accept the other acceptance, you're only sitting on the one acceptance (Hopkins). The other school gives you the 15 days, so just don't accept their acceptance before you're sure. Once you accept the other acceptance (if you so choose), then you have to withdraw from Hopkins, but I believe you're fine until then.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that as long as you don't formally accept the other acceptance, you're only sitting on the one acceptance (Hopkins). The other school gives you the 15 days, so just don't accept their acceptance before you're sure. Once you accept the other acceptance (if you so choose), then you have to withdraw from Hopkins, but I believe you're fine until then.
The key isn't "accepting the acceptance." The key is PTE/CTE in the CYMS tool.

I would not have even reached out to Hopkins. This is a very widely misunderstood feature of CYMS, but schools can only see PTE/CTE beginning today. They can never see As or WLs.

While you are technically not supposed to hold multiple As after 4/30, receiving an A after this date is necessarily an exception to this general rule. Otherwise, you'd never have any time to make a decision from today forward. The amount of time you can hold the additional A without taking action is as much time as the new school gives you! What if Hopkins says, no, you need to make a decision in a week? I doubt they will, because they really have no right to do so, and no way to enforce it, but still.

This is why there was no reason to tell them. You don't need their permission to receive an A off a WL, and to take as much time as the other school allows to decide what to do. Hold the new A as long as you need to, with the parameters set by the new school, make a decision, and go from there. If you are withdrawing from Hopkins, PTE to the new school and let Hopkins know. If you are keeping Hopkins, let the new school know. Easy peasy.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. I have had bad things happen in the past when it comes to random rules and computers deciding my future rather than people, and I panicked today thinking that somehow my offer would be automatically rescinded if I didn't follow the rules (that weren't completely clear for my situation). At the very least, it looks like I'll have the weekend. Hopefully, I can get some financial aid info from the other school before needing to make a decision, but if not, then I'm excited about going to Hopkins this fall!

Georgetown had 18 students going unmatched this cycle so it seems like schools across the board have above-average unmatched rates this year. Not a Hopkins-specific issue.

To be fully transparent, we had 3 orthopedics, 3 ENT, 1 plastics, and 1 ophtho going unmatched. ENT is especially competitive this year, with I believe 600 candidates vying for 300 spots nationally. Hopkins had something like 10 students applying for ENT altogether. Ortho is the only weak spot. Heck, even our ortho matches were incredible this year! I believe last year we had 5 students going unmatched in ultra competitive fields (e.g. ortho, urology, derm) so I wouldn't say this year's % of unmatched is necessarily out of the norm. (All 5 matched well this year.) Feel free to PM me for details. We only had 1 unmatched the year before that; it just depends on what portion of each class decides to apply for super competitive fields.

Very impressed with Hopkins' overall match list this cycle despite the number of unmatched. 3/10 residents in general surgery at Mass General are from Hopkins, as are 4/15 residents in emergency medicine there. Osler IM retains 12 of our own, which is just GODLY! Record number of students going into primary care. Everyone I know in anesthesiology, internal medicine, emergency med, med-peds, family medicine, pediatrics, and ob/gyn all got their #1 choice this cycle. Also 100% match rate for anesthesiology, derm, neurosurgery, radiology, urology. Congratulations everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Georgetown had 18 students going unmatched this cycle so it seems like schools across the board have above-average unmatched rates this year. Not a Hopkins-specific issue.
weirdest part is that national match rates were unchanged. Also you have your profile set to not receive PMs

Last edited:
Oops just changed my profile preference. My bad.

I am not surprised that overall match rate hasn't changed given competitiveness for the vast number of specialties (particularly the big specialties) remains unchanged (e.g. internal medicine, pediatrics, family med, ob/gyn to name a few) If a school has small % of students applying for ultra competitive specialties their overall match rate isn't going to change much. I'd imagine only maybe the top, say, 20-30 schools see their % unmatched going up a little.

Still in awe of Hopkins' match list. It honestly looks GODLY!! 5 derm, 5 neurosurg, 6 ophtho, 7 ENT in a class of 120. All IM, FM, med-peds, peds, anesthesiology, emed, ob/gyn matched to #1 choice. 100% match for anesthesiology, derm, neurosurgery, radiology, urology. Truly impressive cycle! Congratulations Hopkins!

Last edited:
  • Love
Trying to decide between this and a school I just got into off the waitlist that has P/F clinicals. Does anybody at Hopkins know if they're going to continue with P/F clinicals post-Covid? Any negatives to P/F clinicals?

Trying to decide between this and a school I just got into off the waitlist that has P/F clinicals. Does anybody at Hopkins know if they're going to continue with P/F clinicals post-Covid? Any negatives to P/F clinicals?
Student body is formally recommending Pass/Fail clinicals continue at least another year and then get reassessed, with sub-I and elective rotations kept graded (everyone honors these anyways). The committee will hear the recommendations early this month and then decide.

It's been all upsides as far as I can tell, were adult learners that dont need grades to motivate our learning. I personally expect this to stick around but that's just my take.

Any idea of how much WL movement to expect based on numbers of people in GroupMe/FB groups?

Any idea of how much WL movement to expect based on numbers of people in GroupMe/FB groups?

There are 133 people in the GroupMe and 211 in the FB group - both I think still have a bunch of people who committed elsewhere but haven't left yet, as well as some current students!

A few people recently joined, one of whom I know PTE'ed elsewhere (since I was in the GroupMe for that school as well), so I think Hopkins already started accepting ppl off the WL. Just my guess.

Does anyone know if Hopkins is receptive to letters of intent? I saw somewhere they don't love them, but want to submit one if they do accept them.

Does anyone know if Hopkins is receptive to letters of intent? I saw somewhere they don't love them, but want to submit one if they do accept them.
I recall Dean White explicitly saying he doesn't care for LOIs.

Anyone here gotten off the alt list? There are new members in the facebook group but it's all crickets here... Trying to keep the hope alive haha ha ha T_T

Is the class size full? I want to be optimistic but I am losing hope day by day.

Will the fact that the CTE date is in July have any impact on WL movement?

For my "wonder" secondary, I talked about my fixation on how large the universe is, my struggle with nihilism, and how I put it all in perspective. However, now that I am rereading the question, it says not to talk about anything related to medicine or SCIENCE. I'm not sure if stars, blackholes, and a philosophical take on the universe is considered sciencey. If it is science, I'll obviously delete it, but I'm not sure. Any advice on this?
I think you're fine, and that the science they are referring to is the science behind the practice of medicine rather than the science behind the very existence of the universe. Of course, YMMV if you are not comfortable.

Hey all! I am currently in the middle of writing my secondaries and want some guidance on where I stand in terms of competitiveness. I have been serving in the Army National Guard for 3 years now while double majoring in chemistry and dance. I have over 3,000 volunteer hours and 4,000 hours of clinic experience. I worked as a full time medical assistant during the pandemic and probably swabbed over 10,000 people for covid-19 and also got it from working at a pediatric urgent care. I created a non profit to help people with terminal illnesses and have partnerships with local hospitals in the area to help people. The only thing I am nervous about is my mcat score. I made around a 480 and do not know how this will affect my application. Any advice?
My first advice would be to look for the right thread. This is the 2020-2021 cycle (last cycle). My second advice would be to not post these individual specific questions on school-specific threads (you've done it on a few). And lastly, you're not gonna want to hear this, but the last advice would be to increase your MCAT score. I don't even know what percentile 480 is, but I know it's a lot lower than the 50th percentile.