2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, wish they had a concrete date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take to get your idoc?? if i submit the css profile tomorrow will i be too late and not get aid :(
I think Feb. 1 "priority deadline" understands that most people are getting their decisions after Feb 1 so I wouldn't be too worried. The sooner the better is a good rule of thumb and I would definitely recommend having it by Mar 1 since that is when most schools have their hard deadlines anyways. I got the email with how to access IDOC the day I received the "CSS Profile Application Confirmation." It also wasn't hard to do at all, just make sure you have your parental tax forms ready (1040, W-2 and 1099).

I have never waited for something in my life with such intensity *plays violin*

It's definitely tomorrow because it's both Friday AND Feb 1; what's a more auspicious date?

Reactions: 2 users
I've unsubscribed from at least three list-serves waiting for this elusive email. Just send me the damn WL notification already you cowards.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is torture, I just want their rejection to go cry in a corner in peace lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Was this announced somewhere or you know of people who got the mail
Neither. Just approximating based on time stamps from accepted posts on the thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, looks like today will not be the day, so we should all just move on and wait for tomorrow.

Reactions: 7 users
Post-II decisions are up on the portal, R for me

Munching on a big ol’ R sandwich, served hot and fresh courtesy of Hopkins School of Medicine.

Thanks for the company during the wait! Good luck everyone!

Holy Moly! I got in! Thank you all for being so diligent in checking. Found out from here rather than an email from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted as well! Tied for my top choice so I'm very excited about this one.

Are you supposed to receive a confirmation email after you sign the letter of intent?
(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Are you supposed to receive a confirmation email after you sign the letter of intent?
(Edited for clarity)

I did not receive one. Also, do you all know if we need to complete and upload the "Scholarship Application" on IDOC to be considered for priority aid? I've submitted my CSS and FASFA but my IDOC documents are still processing. I assume this means I will not be considered for priority aid?

I did not receive one. Also, do you all know if we need to complete and upload the "Scholarship Application" on IDOC to be considered for priority aid? I've submitted my CSS and FASFA but my IDOC documents are still processing. I assume this means I will not be considered for priority aid?

So I did not think I'd get accepted so I didn't fill out the CSS profile by today. Will it be a problem if I submit late?

Got the A as well. Can't say I'm not stoked, but I'm also looking at that cost of attendance.. There's pretty much no way in hell you go to Hopkins without taking out at least 80k in loans before financial aid kicks in, right? If you receive it that is? And there's zero merit aid?

Don't mean to be a debbie downer but also trying to be practical.

Yeah it’s just need-based :/ Kicking myself for being too broke to pay full tuition but too “rich” to get need based aid. I love this school but it’s tough

Well money is very important and loans are like a burden on your back, too much and it will break

So I did not think I'd get accepted so I didn't fill out the CSS profile by today. Will it be a problem if I submit late?

You missed the priority deadline, there might be some aid left your you

Are we supposed to fill out this stuff even if we're waitlisted? I've only filled the fafsa so far but would hate to get pulled off the waitlist later and have no aid due to me not filling out the forms right. Is the priority deadline only for accepted students? I haven't heard anything yet as a WL.

Yeah it’s just need-based :/ Kicking myself for being too broke to pay full tuition but too “rich” to get need based aid. I love this school but it’s tough

I wish their definition of "rich" was based upon reality.

I'm guessing this is sarcasm? Guess it was a bit of a dumb question.

Dude you’ll be fine! It’s like submitting AMCAS, early is better but it doesn’t really matter. You’ll probably see your award a week after the ones who submitted by 2/1.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I have an interview coming up, what was your experience like?

Reactions: 2 users
Dude you’ll be fine! It’s like submitting AMCAS, early is better but it doesn’t really matter. You’ll probably see your award a week after the ones who submitted by 2/1.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I have an interview coming up, what was your experience like?
Just pm'd you.

Got the A as well. Can't say I'm not stoked, but I'm also looking at that cost of attendance.. There's pretty much no way in hell you go to Hopkins without taking out at least 80k in loans before financial aid kicks in, right? If you receive it that is? And there's zero merit aid?

Don't mean to be a debbie downer but also trying to be practical.

I think this depends all on your personal financial situation. Since it's a private/sensitive topic, I have no way of even guessing what packages people can expect and can only speak to my personal experience.

That said, the people who will likely feel the greatest sting are those from affluent backgrounds, but without family who will contribute, or low-income folks who have full-rides elsewhere. The average graduating debt is ~100k, which is below the average for both public and private schools, but no number to sneeze at. As I said before, if you look at decision threads from previous years, we often lose people to NYU, Columbia, UChicago, Penn, Vandy, etc. who have a history of offering generous non need-based aid. (I still have no idea how you'd give merit awards to my class, as everyone is exceptional in their own arena).

That said, you do not have to take out the 20k unit loan to receive your need-based aid. For example: I received 50k in need-based aid but declined the loan (was very fortunate and had a lucrative gap year job + saved all the money). This is a unique situation, but Hopkins was far more generous than many other schools. Two others told me I had to empty my gap savings before I could even touch any need based aid – resulting in some comically high EFCs – while Hopkins let me distribute my savings without penalty.

Med school errs towards people with very affluent backgrounds. I went to an undergrad where avg family income was 50k, so ending up at a place where family income is ~200k was a bit of a shocker.

I don't have the JHUSOM-specific numbers, but the average family income for JHU undergrads is 177k, which is above the "top 5%"... and I'm sure ours at the SOM is at least that, based on the number of physician parents I can count. 73% of matriculating students get a scholarship (avg value >35k), so people with pretty darn high incomes are still getting aid.

Again, I can't promise anything. Just fill out the financial aid documents (yes, even if you are waitlisted), wait, and see.

For the JHU scholarship application, does anybody know if this is sort of like an application to get scholarships or if they are going to match your responses to possible applications you can apply to? I didn't take it too seriously and have many "Nos" for some of the responses. But if it is an actual application that can get you scholarships, I may put more effort to my responses. Thanks

For the JHU scholarship application, does anybody know if this is sort of like an application to get scholarships or if they are going to match your responses to possible applications you can apply to? I didn't take it too seriously and have many "Nos" for some of the responses. But if it is an actual application that can get you scholarships, I may put more effort to my responses. Thanks

I don't know – again, you don't get any merit scholarships but some donors may have stipulations attached to their money. I put no for all those fields, because none applied to me. For my current aid package I have 2 "named" scholarships and then the rest is filled with general Hopkins scholarships (no idea how the named money was allocated to me, but I write a note to my benefactors each year). You'll get your full need-based amount regardless, but I'm just speculating these may be to assess your eligibility for some donor money to fill your need. **disclaimer: this is just my guess**

Hey, thanks a lot for the detailed response. It's encouraging to hear that people still get aid from those sorts of backgrounds (my parents both dropped out of art school, so we're not exactly rolling in it). I'll withhold judgement until I see the numbers I guess.

Not a prob! Yeah, just fill it out and see what you get. It seems people were either thrilled or crestfallen in my acceptance year, so I hope y'all fall into the former.

Just got the pre-II rejection, complete late July