2019-2020 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- classmates: I've never met more ambitious, intelligent and all around impressive people in my life. On a scale of 1-10 I used to be like a 5-6 on the ambition scale and being around these people inspired me to be like an 8-9 now (not in a malignant way, everyone for the most part is super kind, collaborative and excited to work together, but there are a few malignant gunners who I strayed away from)
- faculty: being at hopkins feels like drinking water directly from the purest mountain-top source. you're learning medicine from the top faculty in the field, many of which have made key discoveries that land in textbooks. beyond that, most faculty love to teach and mentor students. my pre-clinical and clinical experiences have been great and I have learned so much from the attendings
- although I think our preclinical experience is pretty similar to most schools (you end up learning from First Aid anyways, or SketchyMedical), our clerkship experience is where hopkins shines. very thoroughly designed clerkships with amazing attendings as mentioned above who expect you to push yourself and perform at an extremely high level. in fourth year rotations like ICU, I came out feeling like my head grew fifty sizes because of all the knowledge and pearls I picked up.
- research: getting research experience here is extremely easy. we are a research oriented school and every student is required to do a research project in between M1 and M2. most medical students end up doing multiple projects throughout medical school, and for those going into the most competitive specialities, many students juggle 5-6 projects+ at a time and/or take a year off to dedicate to research. I didn't have that much research experience before medical school but quickly found a mentor who immediately got me involved me an abundance of projects where I learned basic skills. most times if you email a faculty member they will have some research project for you to work on
- administration: this may be controversial with the other hopkins med students but I think the administration is fantastic. really care about the students and invest a lot of time and energy into making the educational experience top notch. we have a lot of institutional history as well to go back off on. when COVID-19 cancelled our rotations, within a few weeks, administrators had set up a plethora of online rotation/electives to take which became extremely popular.
- overall history, culture and prestige: this is a place oozing with history and it feels so fulfilling to walk the halls where giants of medicine walked before us. I had many clinical experiences with absolute pioneers in surgery and medicine. the culture of hopkins is typically medicine+ (teaching us medicine but also how to become leaders in medicine). plus coming from hopkins, getting residency interviews is much easier. our match list this year (above) was insane and even the bottom 25% of our class in terms of step scores and clinical grades still matches to the top 25% of residencies for the most part!
This first point rings very true in my experience.

The privilege of proximity is real at Hopkins – everyone here is exceptional in their own arena and it's been a freaking blessing just to sit down with a random classmate and listen to them expound on their passions. Faculty come to Hopkins for the resources, research, and educational opportunities; location and pay are typically not a lure! As such, I'm amazed by how much everyone puts in that extra mile to treat their patients, accomplish their goals, and support their mentees. With a research year, I'm graduating with over 20 papers... something I would have never thought I'd be capable of (and I have peers who've accomplished more even without an extra year).

This not to say you won't get this sort of environment at other insitutions but, based on my experience rotating through a few other programs, Hopkins has been an exemplar.

Will second the admin – some of my peers have not had perfect experiences, but a gold star in my book. The folks in the Student Affairs Office really pour so much time into ensuring our residency application process goes smoothly. I remember them coming in on weekends to proof Dean's Letters and phoning well after supper to answer any questions. With the COVID-19 surge, I had folks calling me to update on university policy changes and ensuring I had a safe travel plan (I was supposed to do an international elective in East Asia, sigh). Will also plug that the financial aid office has been amazing. The funding available has been generous in my experience; I even got my residency application expenses covered by a scholarship.

maybe a silly q - I'm not looking to live in 929, but how early do people start looking for housing + roommates? and what do people use to find roommates or look for housing?

Concur with @renman97. With the lack of SLW, the Facebook group should be your best bet (in my year they sent out a spreadsheet to connect/network). I found my roomies at SLW, but plenty of my peers who did not attend had success doing it all digitally!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It seems ~approx. <10% of students match at Harvard affiliated hospitals. Is seems like there's not as much movement between the two schools?
wouldn't u need to compare that % to other T10 schools to get a sense if that means anything? everything's relative in the end.

It seems ~approx. <10% of students match at Harvard affiliated hospitals. Is seems like there's not as much movement between the two schools? Stanford sends about 16% and Yale sends >20%.

Not really sure how to interpret this statistic, but in a broader sense, many of my classmates chose to rank Hopkins #1 for residency simply because the residency program was so strong, liked it a lot here and already had deep connections to the program

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies for the confusion
for the record, @hopkinsgal2022 was basically right this whole time. haven't gotten my hopkins aid yet but other schools are basically robbing me blind on student contribution, taking all the money in my accounts. the smart thing to do prior to medical school is keep your student assets low. wish i knew that. although it seems odd to basically be encouraging students to put all their assets into a "parent account" as a way of gaming the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
for the record, @hopkinsgal2022 was basically right this whole time. haven't gotten my hopkins aid yet but other schools are basically robbing me blind on student contribution, taking all the money in my accounts. the smart thing to do prior to medical school is keep your student assets low. wish i knew that. although it seems odd to basically be encouraging students to put all their assets into a "parent account" as a way of gaming the system.

Wow, is that still true if student has little assets? Ugh that sucks.

Several schools (N > 3) made the entirety of my reported savings my MS1 student contribution. Taking all my savings as EFC/ESC then torched the amount of "need based" aid I could get, despite having a family with below-average income. Hopkins fortunately did not take this approach to my aid calculation, but only asked for a reasonable amount (and I hope it hasn't changed).

Had a respectable salary prior to med school, but was fortunate enough to live at home so I saved almost everything. Not super financially savvy, so I wasn't investing – just had a generic savings account. Some of these aid packages were tragically hilarious – since I lived shoestring frugal during my gap year, my student contribution was 95% of my post-tax gap year salary at these places! Hopkins asked for about 10% of my savings as contribution, which I thought was totally fair. Was able to use the rest of my savings to decline the unit loan for MS1 and still have some money in the bank for MS2. I'm ultimately graduating in a great financial position (broke with no savings, but not drowning in debt – this is "great" in med school terms lol).

Obviously this is old and anecdotal information, but just a perspective to show the range of need-based financial aid people can expect across institutions. Not recommending people start juggling money from account to account right now, but just some insight into the non-standardization that is the need-based finaid process.

I was very happy with how Hopkins calculated my aid, but I also have some peers that were not. Moral of the story: if finaid is a big factor, hold on to acceptances in order to have the broadest base for comparison.

Reactions: 2 users
got mine literally just now (by checking SIS)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of waitlisted students are accepted off the waitlist?

Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of waitlisted students are accepted off the waitlist?

there's roughly 170-180 accepted students in the FB page. and according to the historical data compiled by @TheDataKing, they accept about 270 to fill the class of 120.

Is there funding given for people who want to take a 5th year?

They extend about a dozen Dean's Year scholars per year (I did this route – you get 35K stipend and pay a $20 admin fee in tuition for the year lol). FYI: not everyone gets it, so don't treat it like a given! When I talked to current students back in the day everyone was like "oh yeah, everyone I know got funding!" I'd say 90% of people I know were fully funded for the year, but I had 4-5 friends who had a few weeks where they really had to hustle to find funding sources when Dean's Year rejected them. Many folks that don't get Dean's Funding are just paid in full by their lab, but there's a few that get stuck in a rock and a hard place each year with poor lab + no scholarship.

There are also a handful of scholarships ranging from full tuition + stipend to partial tuition for MPH. I'd say about another dozen take a year off at Bloomberg and another 3-4 go elsewhere (ex: Chan school at Harvard) for their MPH. Also another handful go abroad through outside scholarships/programs.

All said I think 30-40% of the class takes a year off, so it's a popular option and – anecdotally – our funding routes appear bountiful when compared to some of my friends at peer institutions.

Where are the mph scholarships from, from the sph or the Som? Thanks!!! Good to know.

I believe both routes exit, and/or a combination of the two – though this may change year to year.

I'm afraid I don't know the most about the MPH so I'll defer to anyone else. One of my good friends, however, got a full ride + stipend award through Bloomberg SPH. I think they said at least one of those is offered per year.

• Love
Is there a designated research period here, and how often is testing/exams? Are they in-class exams or can they be taken at home or in libraries?

Summer after M1 is 8-12 weeks for your structured research project (scholarly concentration). You can also take research elective blocks as needed; if anyone wants research time at Hopkins you can get it.

At the moment exams are held in one of our computer labs, but unsure if this will change as distance learning increases. The pandemic – for better or worse – will be shaking up med-ed. Preclinically, exams are about once every 2-1.5 weeks during the first half of MS1 and space out to being about once a month during the latter portion of MS1 and into MS2, which is the standard organ system curriculum (ex: cardio, renal, etc.).

• Love
Thank you! What are the format of the exams, I.e. are they timed or do we have a day to do it? Are they mostly multiple choice?
Also did you feel you had fun socially your first few years or does the travel and location constraints hinder group hangouts and outings?

Timed – usually scheduled for a 2.5-3h block! Pretty much all multiple choice.

Once again, just my anecdotal account, but I had a phenomenal time socially at JHUSOM. As far as most medical schools go, everyone will be living within 15 min of each other (or less!) which makes convening really easy. Social stuff peaked during MS1 and winnowed down during MS2-3 (Step1, people finding their own groups, clerkships), but I was never lonely.

Obviously COVID has completely torched all my hopes and dreams for post-match MS4, but I had three class weddings and two international trips planned with some of my best friends from my class + some residents. I don't know how much the pandemic will hamper upcoming MS1 bonding events – my own specialty has cancelled their regional "boot camps" for August ): – but I jumped in feet-first to JHU looking to make friends and was not disappointed in the slightest.

• Love
Thanks! Sorry to ask more Qs but does JHU ever pay for attending conferences or presenting, or is that random based on your PI? Also how accommodating are they for special diets (vegan) at school wide events and stuff? They were the only admissions office not to for lunch, so idk if that’s a general JHU thing.

1.Conference Funding: So you get a fund of $350 per year from the Office of Student Affairs (does not accrue if unused) that can be used to support conference attendance. The hitch is that your lab also has to be willing to front $350 to receive the money. You also get a fund of $750 (one time use) that can be used to support an international research/clinical/educational experience in select locales.

I have rarely heard of anyone being unable to attend a conference they are accepted at, short of a catastrophic funding failure in their lab. I was in 3 different labs during my time at JHU – and always looked before joining to see if they had a good history of working with med students – and each one happily paid for my conferences. Obviously they weren't going to pay-my-way to "present" an e-poster at the Tahitian Congress of Minor Medical Discoveries, but for any popular regional conference or respected national/international one I got my $$. I was about to use my $750 fund for a MS4 elective... but COVID happened. Now I regret not using it earlier!

JHU is a major research institution. Back at my undergrad (and even my job at a government lab) it was nigh impossible to squeeze out money for conferences. Here it's bountiful and encouraged.

2. Veg/Vegan options: For university (non-club) events there was always veg options. Back when I was a club president we were mandated to have vegetarian options at each student event, unless attendees were pre-polled about dietary restrictions and none were indicated. Most clubs and events will poll ahead of time to get an idea. If you're gluten-free it may be tough to find club events that can cater to your restriction, as groups get a $150 allotment to mass-feed everyone who attends... which really restricts the places that can work with that catering bill.

We always tried to have veg options that were equivalent to their meat counterparts (ex: veggie skewers for Greek kabob night, plenty of curries on Indian days) as we have plenty of vegetarians in the class. No idea about vegan options – I think you'd have to message ahead about that! (If any vegans in the thread can chime in... I honestly don't know).

Is anyone else wondering why the IM matches in the last few years of residency list aren't mostly T5 programs beside JHU? For instance, the Yale IM match lists tend to be heavy on harvard hospitals/stanford whereas JHU tends to match more at UTSW, Emory, NYU, Pitt (and at home)? The list for IM just seems different than peer schools. Is this perhaps due to the disadvantage of honors/high pass grading on clerkships compared to mostly honors at Yale?

Disclaimer: didn't apply IM. I think if you're looking at IM match success as number of students getting the "top 5" (which I think I'll just naively bundle as US News tetrad of JHU, the Boston programs, UCSF, Penn), we're doing pretty gucci.

This year was an unusually small year for IM. The 2020 IM match tally was JHU x7, Penn x2, UCSF x2, UTSW, NYU, UMich, Beth Israel, Mass Gen... which is pretty dang top heavy. There's also several couples matches in there, including people that co-matched to very sought-after programs/locales in very competitive specialties. One of my best friends applied IM and had a ton of support from their PD and mentors in helping them secure their number #1 (a top 5 program and a couples' match).

I think analyzing Match Lists – short of looking at broad, sweeping strokes – is supremely challenging to read due to a myriad of factors. Ex: couples' matches, geographic restrictions, personal program/researcher interest, nuances in program desirability, etc. Even in my tiny lil specialty, the only way I could tell if it was a strong match is if I knew that person got: 1) all the interviews they wanted and 2) the program they wanted. (And if they had to dual apply). The "desirability index" for many programs also jostles on an almost annal basis, based on the shuffle of chairs, funding issues, acquisition/loss of hospitals, etc., which is lost on most unless they are intimately familiar with that specialty.

Staying at JHU is also by no means "settling" as the IM program here does not take people as backups. Is it easier to stay at JHH as a home student? Almost certainly – the faculty will be most familiar with you! A fair share Hopkins students are die-hard Oslerians, whilst others realize they want a different sort of program. (I was one of the latter). I was very fortunate and interviewed at all my specialty's "top 5" programs, if you want to sip the Doximity kool aid, but had most of the "top 10-20" programs higher on my list due to fit. :shrug:

If you want to question a program's matches, don't scan for Harvard, Penn, Hopkins, etc. frequency... see if there's dangling prelims (without a categorical). Or ask current students about unmatched frequency, SOAPs, and how many had to go with a backup specialty.

did everyone just get that email from Dr. Gelber about second look? If you did, please like with "wow" face.
seems like it's one of those "insert name" emails, but want to be sure.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Hey! I am currently on the waitlist at Hopkins, and I heard that the school sends out an email telling you which third you are in on the list (upper, middle, lower). Is that true and if so, does anyone know when it is sent?

For any current students who already went through their clerkship, did you find the faculty, attendings and residents, to be pretty supportive? Did you feel like you had the opportunity to be "hands on" or did it feel more like shadowing at times?

Hey! I am currently on the waitlist at Hopkins, and I heard that the school sends out an email telling you which third you are in on the list (upper, middle, lower). Is that true and if so, does anyone know when it is sent?
They did away with that years ago. Its unranked now.

Haven't heard anything about ranking emails the past few years. I don't believe that any of my classmates who came off the WL got an email. Students are scored following interviews but the scores are more used to guide committee discussion priority – there's no magical number that nets acceptance vs. WL vs. R (or WL position).

For any current students who already went through their clerkship, did you find the faculty, attendings and residents, to be pretty supportive? Did you feel like you had the opportunity to be "hands on" or did it feel more like shadowing at times?

I felt that our clerkships were high-quality, if not superior to many of my peers' at other schools, but I'll try to provide more discrete info because it's easy to say "yeah clerkships were good" but not have any reference point. Disclaimer, again, this this is all my anecdotal experience and I did my core clinicals 2017-2019.

Medical (IM, psych, neuro): On all my rotations I've been expected to see patients independently, present them, and write student notes. The degree of autonomy will differ where you are on the MS3-MS4 continuum, your preceptor, and your enthusiasm for the specialty. My friends on medical subIs or those who did these rotations later in MS3 were able to have a solid scope of responsibility for their patients (ex: being 1st call, liaising with consults, running family meetings).

I did not have a positive experience on my IM rotation – I came on in July with the fresh interns and had a very stressed, tense team. It was the perfect storm for a poor rotation experience, which was compounded by the fact that I was fresh out of preclinical and didn't know what was a good/bad experience + too afraid to speak up. Since then, people have reported much better experiences (I did my rotation 3 years ago) and I think the culture of Osler Medicine has shifted for the better. I did an elective in Infectious Disease right after IM because I wanted to see if my negative experience was more because I disliked medicine or because I had a dysfunctional team. My ID rotation pushed me harder than my Osler IM one and my attendings were so invested in my education that I ended up learning far more in those 4 weeks than my 8w core. To this day I think ID was my most formative rotation and I would highly recommend any Hopkins students take a look at it. It was one of those rotations were I was like "ok yeah, this justifies my tuition." *chef's kiss*

Procedural (EM, OB/GYN, ICU): Again, your mileage will vary, but I'd say most students leave delivering at least one baby and participating in a dozen traumas. On both EM and OB I was expected to see patients independently, triage/present, and drop notes. ICU is the most "your mileage may vary" rotation, as it is usually taken MS4 when most folks are days away from match and mentally out to lunch. At bare minimum you'll be expected to carry multiple patients and present. Those going IM or GAS were usually in helping with lines and tubes.

EM and GYN were two of my favourite rotations and, being a procedure-forward person, I was given a good amount of hands-on time. On Emergency Med I did at least 10 interosseous lines, CPR half a dozen times, and led primary trauma survey on some of the more minor traumas. Also soooo many cardiac echos; had some great teachers in the ED. I also went into the ED quite a few times on my subI and was allowed to perform some of the minor procedures myself. We only have one nursing shift on ED where we learn to put in lines and do blood draws, so I wouldn't say these are my strong suit. For GYN I was in the OR quite often and deployed several IUDs.

Surgical: On surgery I got to close several times a day, but I also actively sought out such opportunities. Wasn't expected to do very much clinic on surgery, but the attendings were good about having me work up patients solo when I was in. I went into a surgical subspecialty and did a few other aways, so in comparison to the places I visited Hopkins had a good attitude towards student autonomy. Was left in the room with residents many times to finish cases, first-assisted dozens of times, etc. but nothing were it'd be a detriment to patient care. There were a few times I was asked to do things alone where I was like "wooooah, I'm but an MS4" and people were either like 1) "all right, let me teach you how to do it" or 2) "good call, how about you assist instead." I also felt like Hopkins was pretty conscientious of providing quality care to all their surgical patients and didn't let med students have more leeway with the poor/vulnerable.

The Variability Caveat: Maybe about 10-15% of students will do part of some rotations (4/8 weeks) at Sinai Hospital, which is about 20 min north of Hopkins. I was at Sinai for half of my obgyn, neuro, and IM rotations – I felt the quality here was a lot more hit/miss than Hopkins itself. They've been working to enhance experiences, but I'd still recommend students prioritize JHH (mothership) or JH Bayview (more of our community hospital). Some of my rotations at Sinai felt like pure shadowing, especially on OBGYN. I got to help deliver 1 baby there vs. friends who got 5+ at other sites. However, I did have some high-quality rotations there. I did urogyn at Sinai, during which I was 1-on-1 with a surgeon who really sought to teach me practical skills in both the OR and clinic. I learned how to dictate notes thanks to that rotation, which has paid off in dividends.

Also I wouldn't say 100% of the people you'll meet are non-malignant. I'd say this for any school, any hospital, any program. There are bad eggs just about everywhere, but was fortunate that these people were by far in the minority at Hopkins.

tl;dr (bored in quarantine so bear w me waxing poetic about rotations) – I felt my rotations were hands on and people were supportive, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@hellanutella this is so helpful! thank you for sharing your experience. one follow-up: when you say "if not superior to my peers' at other schools," are you basing that on conversations you've had with other students? obviously hopkins is excellent/top-notch, but i'm wondering how different the clinical training could be among the top 10's.

@hellanutella this is so helpful! thank you for sharing your experience. one follow-up: when you say "if not superior to my peers' at other schools," are you basing that on conversations you've had with other students? obviously hopkins is excellent/top-notch, but i'm wondering how different the clinical training could be among the top 10's.

Strictly anecdotal spread from my broad friend group (from DO schools to some fancy tier places). You won't have the autonomy you see at places like LA County USC but you'll be very involved as far as private hospitals go. I do think the expectations Hopkins attendings have for students seem to be a cut above the others – based on my aways and queries from faculty during interviews – which is where I think the training shines among the rest. If anything, you'll leave capable of making really good medical and research presentations (this is something I didn't notice or appreciate until I did my aways). The patient population is also a highlight in that you'll see uber-rare pathology, flying in from abroad, one room over from someone living a block from Hopkins, who has been unable to access care for the past 2 decades of their life. The ability learn how to care for horses, zebras, international patients, and the systemically disenfranchised is really a unique experience.

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, I'm not sure how Hopkins stacks up against Harvard/Penn/Yale/etc... and I wouldn't be basing school decision off querying med students how many babies they delivered on OBGYN. I think ask people what their quibbles are with the system and find out what they mean when they say their clinicals are "good" vs. "bad." I've tried to be candid about my experience, but if anyone has any more granular questions, I'm happy to answer! Med school will likely be the most amount of money you'll invest (short of maybe a house?) so I'd like to help in whatever way possible.

What documents do we need to submit prior to the start of school? Final transcripts, immunizations... Would like to get the stuff prepped and not stress about it later on.

@hellanutella : Thanks for sharing your experiences, makes me even more excited about the school!

@hellanutella thank you for sharing your experiences!! they've been super helpful during this process. Do you feel like it's very common/kinda expected for students going into competitive specialties (derm, ent, radio etc) to take a year off to do research? I've heard Hopkins does not provide as much "protected research time" to MD students other than the summer between M1 to M2 and I was curious to hear your thoughts on this

@hellanutella thank you for sharing your experiences!! they've been super helpful during this process. Do you feel like it's very common/kinda expected for students going into competitive specialties (derm, ent, radio etc) to take a year off to do research? I've heard Hopkins does not provide as much "protected research time" to MD students other than the summer between M1 to M2 and I was curious to hear your thoughts on this

Not a problem!

Research years are not expected at all, though I'd say about 30-40% of Hopkins students take a year off and they are quite popular. (As I stated before, the overwhelming majority of these students have some sort of funding). The frequency of year-off students is rather self-selecting, as 1) Hopkins has phenomenal infrastructure for research years and 2) attracts a lot of research-driven premeds.

I'm not sure where the lack of protected research time came up, but I was able to get as much protected research time during MS3-4 as I wanted (I took 4.5w during MS3 and... many many months during MS4). Students just block out an elective month and fill out a form certifying that they are working under a certain faculty member. Pretty easy peasy. I did a lot of research concurrently all throughout MS2 as well.

We don't have "choose your own adventure" weeks built between clinical rotations like Mayo does – instead we take a formal, class-wide elective – but these are usually pretty light enough that most people can catch up on research then. And we also don't have the 1 year preclinical that grants a MS3 year which is mostly research time, like Duke does, but I'd say the bulk of non-research year students are still graduating with impressive publication lists. If there's anything Hopkins is not weak in, it's med student research.

As for the subspecialty breakdown, I don't think Hopkins students face increasing pressure to do research years to match neuro/derm/ent/etc. relative to other schools. If anything, the Hopkins name and substantial research output actually allows many late converts to these fields do pretty dang well.

I think the breakdowns for Med2020, Med2019 matches taking a year off is as follows [disclaimer, v quick and dirty tally – not everyone who matches asks to be put on the list, I don't know 100% of the MD PhD students, and I did not include unmatched students]:
Neurosurg: 2/2, 2/3 (including 1 MD PhD)
Ophtho: 2/5, 1/2
Derm: 4/6 (including 1 MD PhD, 1 MPH), 2/3 (including 1 MD PhD)
Plastics: 2/2, 1/5 (including 1 biodesign masters)
Ortho: 1/5, 0/3
ENT: 3/6 (including 1 MD PhD, 1 MPH), 2/3 (including 1 biodesign masters)
Uro: 0/6, 2/3
CT surg: 0/1, 0/1

Not sure what the average breakdowns of research years for each of these specialties are, so you'd have to dig up those (and analyze more Hopkins match lists). Of course these numbers are meaningless without context, but here's a 2-year snapshot.

Last edited:
  • Love
what are the chances there'll be an online start to classes? + when do you think that would be announced?

• Wow
Does anyone know when WL movement starts here?

@dwu12 : If I'm not mistaken, AOA doesn't affect residency placements (it's not given until the match is done)

@dwu12 : If I'm not mistaken, AOA doesn't affect residency placements (it's not given until the match is done)

Correct! It comes out a few weeks before graduation (so sometime in late April/early May).

What is AOA based off of?

As for selection criteria, I don't know. I do know they're elected by a committee of AOA alums and other faculty, so it's not an automatic "score in the upper x percentile of students and you'll get it" sort of deal. Grades and board scores do factor in to the equation, but not exclusively so.

@hellanutella Does AOA not coming out until a few weeks before graduation put Hopkins students at a disadvantage when applying for residencies, as they cannot list it?

No it’s not a disadvantage bc programs know that’s the case. The reason people ask about AOA is because if it is released prior to residency apps, then there will be competition among students (similar to asking about internal ranking and clinical grading schemes).