2021-2022 Johns Hopkins

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you to @Habber22 for sharing the secondary questions!

2021-2022 Johns Hopkins Secondary Essay Prompts: (same as last year's questions)

1. Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application.
(2500 characters)

2. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (2500 characters)

3. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (2500 characters)

4. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (2500 characters)

5. Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (2500 characters)

6. Optional:
The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc.
Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (2500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
 
Last edited:
Prompts from the previous cycle:
  • Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. 2500 characters
  • Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. 2500 characters
  • Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. 2500
  • Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? 2500 characters
  • Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? 2500 char
  • Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. Optional 2500
MSTP

  • Please list your area(s) of interest in graduate study. These may be general and/or specific: (2500 char)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received a secondary invite (OOS). They are requiring us to use the WebAdmit portal through AAMC; however, I am getting an error stating that I haven't been registered for WebAdmit. Anyone else having this same issue?

Edit (10 minutes later): They sent an application portal link with instructions to upload a photo and match your pre-requisites from your transcript.
 
Last edited:
I got an email, however, it just allows me to upload a photo/input courses. No prompts. Anyone else get the same thing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Short Essay Questions 2021-22(@wysdoc ):

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (2500 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (2500 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (2500 characters)

Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (2500 characters)

Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (2500 characters)
 
Short Essay Questions 2021-22(@wysdoc ):

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (2500 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (2500 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (2500 characters)

Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (2500 characters)

Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (2500 characters)
OMG thank you. You are awesome!
 
Regarding the "are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you?" question, I didn't plan on putting anything there because I genuinely don't know which part of medicine I would like to go into. Do I need to put something here? Would what I wrote before suffice? Any ideas?

Edit: I think I'm going to go with something like "I don't know where I want to end up, I have seen many interesting paths medicine could lead me down such as X, I can't wait to be able to explore more."
 
Last edited:
A bit confused by the "one sitting" thing - ik it says we can't save and continue but does that mean once you open it you have to submit it? Or can you close out and come back to it later, your results just won't be saved
 
A bit confused by the "one sitting" thing - ik it says we can't save and continue but does that mean once you open it you have to submit it? Or can you close out and come back to it later, your results just won't be saved
USF used a similar "gateway" through aamc login. It just means that you can not save progress made on the secondary. You can open and close the secondary as you deem fit, but work will not be saved.
 
In the ‘Family Background’ text box, are we supposed to list just siblings or also parent education history? The prompt seemed a little unclear.
It only mentioned siblings in the prompt, so I only put information for siblings. I believe our parental education information is sent to them in the primary anyways, so it shouldn’t be an issue.
 
For identifying pre-reqs, I have taken everything but a writing-intensive course, which I am taking this upcoming Fall. Is it okay to leave this blank? I will fulfill the requirement before I would matriculate if I get that lucky! I have already taken many college Literature classes, should I use those in order to avoid leaving that section blank? We had to write many essays, but it's not given an official writing attribute at my school. Thanks for any help!
 
Hey everyone! Just want to introduce myself 🙂 I'm an M3 at Hopkins and am here to act as your friendly neighborhood "upper year"
I remember how high stress this process can be and how grateful I was for the med students on my thread, so I'm here to pay it forward.
Feel free to PM me to reach out with any questions or advice. Anything at all! I'm just here to help 😀
 
How soon after your apps get verified did you all receive an invite to their secondary? I got verified 6/28 so I am trying to gauge if/when I would receive one...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How soon after your apps get verified did you all receive an invite to their secondary? I got verified 6/28 so I am trying to gauge if/when I would receive one...
I got verified on 6/3 and got the secondary on June 28.
 
For the secondary about interests in medicine, Is it bad to discuss non-primary care interests in medicine? I have a big interest in urology from scribing with a urologist and was worried if this would look bad to talk about since its a small specialty.
 
It is Hopkins. They have zero emphasis on primary care. Talk about your interests, you don’t need to put up a facade for them. Also don’t feel the need to approach the character limit.
For the secondary about interests in medicine, Is it bad to discuss non-primary care interests in medicine? I have a big interest in urology from scribing with a urologist and was worried if this would look bad to talk about since its a small specialty.
 
Question-- has anyone attended one of the Hopkins virtual info sessions already? If so, what was the vibe? Was it like a normal Zoom meeting where everyone's faces are visible?
 
I just realized I accidentally posted this question on the 2020-2021 sdn forum and not this one. I'm reposting the question here:

For my "wonder" secondary, I talked about my fixation on how large the universe is, my struggle with nihilism, and how I put it all in perspective. However, now that I am rereading the question, it says not to talk about anything related to medicine or SCIENCE. I'm not sure if stars, blackholes, and a philosophical take on the universe is considered sciencey. If it is science, I'll obviously delete it, but I'm not sure. Any advice on this?
I personally think this is appropriate and quite interesting! My take on it was that they didn't want medicine-related science to avoid cliché essays. If you took a philosophical angle, I think it answers the question.
 
I just realized I accidentally posted this question on the 2020-2021 sdn forum and not this one. I'm reposting the question here:

For my "wonder" secondary, I talked about my fixation on how large the universe is, my struggle with nihilism, and how I put it all in perspective. However, now that I am rereading the question, it says not to talk about anything related to medicine or SCIENCE. I'm not sure if stars, blackholes, and a philosophical take on the universe is considered sciencey. If it is science, I'll obviously delete it, but I'm not sure. Any advice on this?
So I read my friends essay for JH last cycle and this feels like the same exact essay. Fully even "my struggle with nihilism." Yes stars, yes blackholes, yes fixation on how large the universe is, yes a full philosophical take... Not sure if this is an insane coincidence or if you read his essay at some point, but be soooo careful. A lot of schools do check essays in reference to old essays for plagiarism and making essays too similar is a dangerous game to play, especially with essays like this.

Not saying you did copy, could be a super creepy coincidence (the world is big and brings on wonder so I can see this being the topic of a lot of essays) or maybe you did read his essay a long time ago and it was just hanging around in the back of your mind and you didn't realize, but just be careful!
 
Woah, that's crazy but no I sat at my desk for an hour to come up with that. Something about medicine inspires really negative thoughts I guess lol. I guess I thought I was unique. Did this person get in to JHU last cycle?
THE WORLD IS HUGE, so I absolutely understand why this could be repeated. As a synopsis they may sound similar, but I am sure the details and personal connections are extremely different - so I would not worry too much. Sorry if I caused any fear - I just read it and the nihilism part and I was like OMG, but great minds think alike.

And yes he did, so I hope the same for you 🙂
 
THE WORLD IS HUGE, so I absolutely understand why this could be repeated. As a synopsis they may sound similar, but I am sure the details and personal connections are extremely different - so I would not worry too much. Sorry if I caused any fear - I just read it and the nihilism part and I was like OMG, but great minds think alike.

And yes he did, so I hope the same for you 🙂
"My sense of wonder is derived from the paradoxical vastness of a universe that continues to replicate itself in small daily coincidences. I was reading a thread on sdn... "
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did anyone get a complete email or confirmation after submitting this one? it says im submitted in the portal and i paid the fee but never received confirmation for either