2019-2020 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only one way to find out...
this is your livelihood, I wouldn’t refrain from asking the office just because someone said they don’t match. Let them say no, don’t say no for them.
Thank you!
That's a good point, I'll reach out soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In the same boat for multiple schools who’ve sent acceptances recently...
I'm sorry to hear that :( Sadly, I'm going to guess that since both people who got acceptance calls got them yesterday, we're probably out of luck. Gg, guess I'll wait for the sad email letting me know where I stand to arrive in my inbox soon.

Does Hopkins accept pre-decision LOIs? (Post interview)

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you see the priority deadline is today?
If you go on to CSS and add school theres a column that says “Priority Filing Date” (follow by like “priority filing date information” “award letter date” etc) and then for Hopkins it says 02/17/2020 under priority filing date.

Is css important? I thought fafsa is everything
its essential if you want to be considered for institutional aid/scholarships. If you only submit FASFA then you will only be considered for federal loans and maybe institutional, i can't remember right now. Either way, the only assistance you will be considered for is loans if you don't submit CSS.

Reactions: 1 users
At my January interview, they told us late March. This matches up with last year's thread, where decisions were released March 26th.

MSTP WL today- pretty nice email actually

RIP for me, possibly. I already got a bit disheartened when I saw that others were accepted, but I held out some hope for getting waitlisted. I know that there's technically a chance things aren't happening chronologically, but a piece of me doesn't want to get hurt by holding on to some hope.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
RIP for me, possibly. I already got a bit disheartened when I saw that others were accepted, but I held out some hope for getting waitlisted. I know that there's technically a chance things aren't happening chronologically, but a piece of me doesn't want to get hurt by holding on to some hope.

Bad feeling was right.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone's interviewers reply to your Thank Yous?

When I was on adcom, I was given any thank you notes/emails after I had already deliberated on the applicant. (As these messages are supposed to go through Ms. Mazza, not directly to the interviewer). Also, I did not respond or make contact until final decisions were issued.

Hopkins has a very fair post-interview communication policy! I wouldn't try to read into a response/lack of response.

Thank you!! for interviewees in the last batch, should we send Letters of interest asap or would they be more meaningful in March?

Wondering the same thing, was thinming about doing a LOI and update letter, but not sure if it would make a difference.

Thank you!! for interviewees in the last batch, should we send Letters of interest asap or would they be more meaningful in March?
Wondering the same thing, was thinming about doing a LOI and update letter, but not sure if it would make a difference.

No idea how LOIs are handled, so the following is partial speculation. Updates and LOIs are always attached to applicants' files, but we always grounded discussion on candidacy from interview day impressions and paper application review. Supplemental info was never discussed during initial deliberation sessions but, if I had to guess, I expect they play a more important role at the waitlist stage (I played no role in final verdicts of WLed candidates).

Last edited:
No idea how LOIs are handled, so the following is partial speculation. Updates and LOIs are always attached to applicants' files, but we always grounded discussion on candidacy from interview impressions and paper application merits. Supplemental info was never discussed during initial deliberation sessions but, if I had to guess, I expect they play a more important role at the waitlist stage (I played no role in ranking/final verdicts of WLed candidates).

Initially, the committee votes to accept reject or waitlist or does the committee rank each candidate and then based on those rankings As, Rs, and WL are given out?

Initially, the committee votes to accept reject or waitlist or does the committee rank each candidate and then based on those rankings As, Rs, and WL are given out?
The latter – Hopkins is semi-rolling so students are ranked at periodic meetings by the committee, but no official verdicts are issued. The full rank list is then assorted into A/R/WL for each release date. As such, you don't have to worry about "only x number of students per interview day" getting in; hypothetically an entire interview day cohort could be accepted (or rejected).

The latter – Hopkins is semi-rolling so students are ranked at periodic meetings by the committee, but no official verdicts are issued. The full rank list is then assorted into A/R/WL for each release date. As such, you don't have to worry about "only x number of students per interview day" getting in; hypothetically an entire interview day cohort could be accepted (or rejected).

I know you mentioned earlier that you didn't deliberate on the WL -> acceptance decisions, but would you guess that they re-evaluate the WL'd people entirely or would they use the initial scores and move things a bit based on LOIs/updates?

If you go on to CSS and add school theres a column that says “Priority Filing Date” (follow by like “priority filing date information” “award letter date” etc) and then for Hopkins it says 02/17/2020 under priority filing date.

I asked the financial aid office about the supposed deadline on their website. This year, there is no priority deadline, even though there may be outdated parts of the JH website that say there is a priority date; all financial apps will be reviewed equally regardless of submission date. I assume this is also the case with CSS but I did not specifically ask.

I asked the financial aid office about the supposed deadline on their website. This year, there is no priority deadline, even though there may be outdated parts of the JH website that say there is a priority date; all financial apps will be reviewed equally regardless of submission date. I assume this is also the case with CSS but I did not specifically ask.
Oh that’s great! Did they say when they would release financial aid packages

Were late Jan and Feb people interviewing for the Wait List? If we won't hear back until April 1, that means JHU has already given enough As to at least fill their class by the AAMC March 15 deadline so before considering us. I don't anticipate many people accepted to JHU to drop their A before second look or April 15/30.

Not in my experience – we are a true semi-rolling program and had equivalent acceptance rates between the 3 main release batches.

A lot of applicant jostling happens in the early spring when finaid packages come out and other waitlists come to fruition, but this is true for med schools across the board.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
anyone having problems signing into their financial aid portal? I just got an email with instructions

anyone having problems signing into their financial aid portal? I just got an email with instructions
Yep - can't sign in because it doesn't recognize my username...

Is anyone having the issue when entering the SIS ID it says there's no email address provided for your SIS record?

people in the 3rd wave may have equal chance of acceptance, but do they have an equal share of the aid money? Seems like things are already moving along at the financial aid office, so wouldn't the people accepted in late March have fewer funds available (even if they got all the FA forms in back in february)?

I also can't sign in, after activating my SIS ID...I sent them an email, I'll let y'all know if I ever get a response

Do they accept post interview updates or LOI?

Damn second look officially cancelled :(

• Sad
I too am a little confused about their attitudes on updates. On interview day I remember they just handed out a business card for Valerie Mazza and said we could contact her for any reason.

I sent in post II updates and a LOI. The updates were fairly significantly and not at all included in my application otherwise (so not just updated hours, promotion at work, etc). And I was accepted so I doubt it’s going to be looked at negatively.