2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any insight into the optional housing tour the morning of the interview? From my (limited) online research it seems like an apartment building not directly run by Hopkins. Has anyone here gone and if so, did you find it worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any insight into the optional housing tour the morning of the interview? From my (limited) online research it seems like an apartment building not directly run by Hopkins. Has anyone here gone and if so, did you find it worthwhile?
You probably do not want to live next to the campus. Not a good neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably do not want to live next to the campus. Not a good neighborhood.

Thanks for that info! I was hoping to gain info about the specific tour itself though, and whether or not it's Hopkins-run housing. Basically I don't think I want to go if it's just an unaffiliated apartment building trying to recruit new residents, but if it's Hopkins-specific I might be interested!

I haven't gone on the tour, but the apartment is unaffiliated with Hopkins. Many medical students/graduate students live there though because it is part of the new development in that area, while still being close to campus!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for that info! I was hoping to gain info about the specific tour itself though, and whether or not it's Hopkins-run housing. Basically I don't think I want to go if it's just an unaffiliated apartment building trying to recruit new residents, but if it's Hopkins-specific I might be interested!
It is unaffiliated with Hopkins but the majority of students that stay there are Hopkins students (medical students, public health, and nursing). During my time in Baltimore most of the people I knew in that building were all affiliated with Hopkins. It's also a pretty safe and secure building. If I didn't have family in the area I would have stayed there with no problem. And there are many people who live close to Hopkins although some classify it as a bad area. You just have to be strategic about where you stay and your commute/walk routes, but thats living in any busy city in the US.

Downside to living at 929: for the space (small private bedroom + common area shared with roommates) and not-so-great location, it's waaaaay more expensive than it should be. It's in a food desert (no grocery within walking distance, no nearby street full of bars/restaurants).

As to "bad area" : the 929 area is very recently developed, and is sort of near the edge of where the Hopkins gentrification bubble currently reaches. If you go back a few years the spot where 929 now stands was largely abandoned rowhomes. So the vibe changes very quickly, like over 1 block, depending on exactly where you are. This vs this would be example streets nearby to get an idea what I mean, these are about a block apart.

Upside: a little over half the M1 class lives there each year, it's close to the med school buildings, and it's a safer bet than trying to sign a lease on an apartment you haven't seen. Most people move out of 929 for years M2-M4 (often to the Upper Fells neighborhood) but for M1 it's a popular choice.

If you end up considering Hopkins come spring, I highly recommend attending the second look weekend, visiting the areas on the walking tours around Baltimore shows you a lot.

Reactions: 5 users
Link to old housing discussion with good pro/con list
I cite a figure from an old 2015 ppt deck, so keep in mind that the prices listed are not current – I've found rent has been eeking up in Baltimore year by year.

Re: housing I second @efle 's post. 929 is not formally connected with Hopkins, but often >50% of the first year class will elect to live there for MS1 and the complex is almost entirely Hopkins students and affiliates. I'm an ex-929er, and have lived in Fells for the past 2 years. Lived at 929 for MS1 and it was great for getting to bond with the class (think ~*luxury*~ dorm). Neighbourhood is not super glamorous, but has been rapidly developed in the past year – there's now an Sbux across from the complex and a cool Afghan place a block south. If you want more apartment amenities/space and are willing to pony up more cash, the Jefferson Square apartments just a block south of the hospital have a similar vibe.

As you guys get closer to school decisions and housing, just bump the thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II this morning! Submitted my secondary on 8/29, got the complete email on 10/6.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't remember correctly, but I believe it was early October.

wow congrats dude!

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of dates were still open? Is JHU almost done with their cycle? I just submitted last week....and haven't even gotten complete yet.

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of dates were still open? Is JHU almost done with their cycle? I just submitted last week....and haven't even gotten complete yet.

They just sent me a single date at the beginning of December, so I assume they still have many more dates open. Try not to stress about the complete date!

Does anyone remember if/how to send in updates after an interview? I know the website says none accepted, but im not sure if that applies to after you've already interviewed

Does anyone remember if/how to send in updates after an interview? I know the website says none accepted, but im not sure if that applies to after you've already interviewed
Send them directly to the director of admissions (Ms. VM), who should have given you a business card with her email on it at interview day. You can PM me for her email if you lost the card!

Send them directly to the director of admissions (Ms. VM), who should have given you a business card with her email on it at interview day. You can PM me for her email if you lost the card!
efle comes through again :). Thanks! I have her card in my folder, so I'm good, thank you!

Thanks for responding. This might be a dumb question but how did you address her? Valerie, Ms. Mazza or Mrs. Mazza?
That really isn't a dumb question because I debated that too! I decided to go with Ms. Mazza to be safe.

Did people get confirmations from Ms. Mazza about Post-II updates they sent in?

Oops I called her Dr. Mazza... Oh well she didn't mind lol

To err on the side of caution, I always call someone "Dr" when in doubt. If they're not titled that way, it does not hurt, but if you called a Dr. "Ms." she might take offense...

To err on the side of caution, I always call someone "Dr" when in doubt. If they're not titled that way, it does not hurt, but if you called a Dr. "Ms." she might take offense...

I usually put Dr. if I'm unsure, so that's a good general rule!

However, her card that they gave us didn't say Dr. on it, and in all of her emails, she just signs with her name. Usually Drs. put MD or DO after their name in emails. So I was pretty certain "Ms." would be ok. I hope it is at least :bucktooth:

I know this all sounds very over-analyzed haha.

Oooh, also efle said Ms., and efle knows all!:clap:

However, her card that they gave us didn't say Dr. on it, and in all of her emails, she just signs with her name. Usually Drs. put MD or DO after their name in emails. So I was pretty certain "Ms." would be ok. I hope it is at least :bucktooth:

You are probably right! :)

I don't think that's as bad as calling her Ms. Mazzal. In my interview invite email for some reason they had her last name as Mazzal instead of Mazza so my first email to her I said Ms. Mazzal. When she responded I saw her name was Mazza and had a mini panic attack for like an hour thinking they were going to rescind my invite haha.

I don't think that's as bad as calling her Ms. Mazzal. In my interview invite email for some reason they had her last name as Mazzal instead of Mazza so my first email to her I said Ms. Mazzal. When she responded I saw her name was Mazza and had a mini panic attack for like an hour thinking they were going to rescind my invite haha.
I remember that! I was so confused as well :rofl::help:

What's the lowest MCAT score anyone has heard be accepted? Asking for a friend...

Sorry if this has previously been asked, but I still haven't received a 'complete' email almost 2 months after submitting my secondary. Just wanted to check if that's normal or if I should perhaps inquire with the adcom. Thanks!

Sorry if this has previously been asked, but I still haven't received a 'complete' email almost 2 months after submitting my secondary. Just wanted to check if that's normal or if I should perhaps inquire with the adcom. Thanks!

I was complete October 4th and haven't received an email yet either...

I'm sorry if this was asked previously, but when sending a thank you note to Ms. Mazza to forward, can you address your student interviewer by first name and put the subject line like "Thank you, [NAME]?" Don't know if I'm being too informal, but I feel weird addressing him like Mr. blahblahblah

I'm sorry if this was asked previously, but when sending a thank you note to Ms. Mazza to forward, can you address your student interviewer by first name and put the subject line like "Thank you, [NAME]?" Don't know if I'm being too informal, but I feel weird addressing him like Mr. blahblahblah
I addressed my student interviewer by first name in the thank you note because he only told me his first name. Mr/Ms is unnecessary. Imagine yourself being called Mr blahblahblah or Ms blahblahblah as a medical student.

II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete mid august

Reactions: 12 users
Also got an II today!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they accept updates? I couldn't find any info on where we can submit that

Can anyone from Hopkins talk about Baltimore, and also the social scene at the school? Thanks for the info.