2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who were accepted, did you send any updates to the school after your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do those who have been accepted have any advice or insight for the interview? There doesn't seem to be too much info in this thread and I figure you all got something right!

Does anyone know when the committee last met? I interviewed in early October, and I'm just wondering if there's a possibility that I might get any news soon. It looks like all the acceptances have been from September interviews so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys have any idea when the next batch of interviews are going out? kind of anxious

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if I remember this correctly but I vaguely remember the admissions member talking about this situation. If I am not mistaken, those who do not get accepted are on hold until March (don't know the exact day), at which point they form a waitlist. I think he also said that there's a possibility that you will be taken off the hold anytime but that it usually does not happen. Does anybody else remember this? Please, someone correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to give out any incorrect information but I am afraid that we won't hear anything until after the interview season is over.

I'm not 100% sure about the situation this year (or if things have changed since the last cycle), but last year, I was told that applicants that interviewed and did not receive the call on the date specified on their interview day are reevaluated at every committee meeting with the "new batch" of interviewees. Essentially your application gets looked at and reevaluated multiple times during the cycle. This is why I urge many people who are on hold/potentially waitlisted to send updates--especially if you are still currently in school and have grades to add or if you have started some work that is meaningful. Do not despair, if you did not receive the call, you might not have to wait until March--it all depends on applicant pool!

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure about the situation this year (or if things have changed since the last cycle), but last year, applicants that interviewed and did not receive the call on the date specified on their interview day are reevaluated at every committee meeting against the "new batch" of interviewees. Essentially your application gets looked at and reevaluated multiple times during the cycle to ensure that they are on track on forming the type of well rounded class they are aiming for. This is why I urge many people who are on hold/potentially waitlisted to send updates--especially if you are still currently in school and have grades to add or if you have started some work that is meaningful. Do not despair, if you did not receive the call, you might not have to wait until March--it all depends on applicant pool!
Do you know what it means if our portal says, “Your interview has been completed. We thank you for visiting us and for you interest in our program” ?

Do you know what it means if our portal says, “Your interview has been completed. We thank you for visiting us and for you interest in our program” ?

Lol I think it means that you went to the interview and completed it. I don't believe that there is any hidden meaning behind the message. I had the same status after I interviewed.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone confirm if they are officially done accepting AND calling applicants that interviewed before October 16? It seems like almost everyone posting about an acceptance here interviewed mid and late September. It makes me wonder if they simply haven't contacted people that interviewed on certain dates. It would be especially helpful if a current student or recently accepted student could contact the admissions office with this one question.

This has been my only interview (9/7) this cycle so far and I want to know if I can stop obsessively checking my phone this week :/

Can someone confirm if they are officially done accepting AND calling applicants that interviewed before October 16? It seems like almost everyone posting about an acceptance here interviewed mid and late September. It makes me wonder if they simply haven't contacted people that interviewed on certain dates. It would be especially helpful if a current student or recently accepted student could contact the admissions office with this one question.

This has been my only interview (9/7) this cycle so far and I want to know if I can stop obsessively checking my phone this week :/
You could try calling anonymously and asking if you don't want them to know who you are.

You could try calling anonymously and asking if you don't want them to know who you are.
I called them a few times recently to check if they had received thank you letters I sent directly to the admissions office. I don't want to risk contacting them yet again over a question like this...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them a few times recently to check if they had received thank you letters I sent directly to the admissions office. I don't want to risk contacting them yet again over a question like this...
If you don't give your name, and call from a number not associated with your application they have no way of knowing it is you

I personally think it would be a little inappropriate for current students or those who have already been accepted to contact admissions with this question (unless they don't ask for/you don't give them your information). I would suggest calling them if you want to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

FWIW, I had in my notes that if we didn't receive a phone call on 10/16 or 10/17, then it means that we were waitlisted. Hang in there and send update letters!

Potentially helpful info for people:
  • They're done calling this week
  • Some people may have received hold/further consideration emails within the last few hours
  • NO ONE has been rejected
  • They may call more accepted people in 2-3 weeks
  • They will almost certainly call more accepted people in mid-November

Reactions: 2 users
Ok. So I'm really trying not to read too much into this but my status has not changed. I obviously wasn't accepted so does that mean that my application is not in further consideration? I didn't receive any email. Interviewed 09/26.

As I saw mentioned here earlier, Loyola's secondary application cover letter stated that applicants who complete their secondary within 4-6 weeks of initial login would receive priority consideration. I received my secondary on 7/12, and submitted on 7/24, but have not heard anything from Loyola as of yet.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Can anybody offer any insight into this situation?

As I saw mentioned here earlier, Loyola's secondary application cover letter stated that applicants who complete their secondary within 4-6 weeks of initial login would receive priority consideration. I received my secondary on 7/12, and submitted on 7/24, but have not heard anything from Loyola as of yet.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Can anybody offer any insight into this situation?
Keep in mind guys this school does silent rejections. So if you're going to get rejected by this school, you won't hear anything. You'll get your rejection in March.

I was complete mid-July and got an II last week. People complete after me had already been receiving them, so you definitely are still in the game!

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I’ll just have to patiently wait for another month to get a decision :( but in the mean time, happy Diwali to everyone !

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone got their "special invitation" email to apply? Is it really true that they will expedite the process or its just false hopes?

Anyone got their "special invitation" email to apply? Is it really true that they will expedite the process or its just false hopes?
I got that and submitted mid September and am still "under review"

I think it's legit, seeing as my app status pretty much instantly changed to 'under review' when I submitted (+ they emailed me confirming it was moved 'to the front of the line'). Expedited review doesn't necessarily equate to expedited decision. I haven't heard back anything/seen a status change and I submitted in early August. Maybe a silent rejection for me lol.

I think it's legit, seeing as my app status pretty much instantly changed to 'under review' when I submitted (+ they emailed me confirming it was moved 'to the front of the line'). Expedited review doesn't necessarily equate to expedited decision. I haven't heard back anything/seen a status change and I submitted in early August. Maybe a silent rejection for me lol.
I received the same email too. How did you submit that? Did you email them or upload as an update? How soon they responded? Thanks

I received the same email too. How did you submit that? Did you email them or upload as an update? How soon they responded? Thanks
I emailed a response to the initial invite once I received my secondary app. They responded within a day confirming they had waived my secondary fee (not sure if that was included in your email as well). Then once I had submitted the secondary, I emailed them again and they confirmed it was expedited the next day.

I got this as well except I was complete early July... I emailed them and they claim to be expediting review of my file but I won't hold my breathe

I got this as well except I was complete early July... I emailed them and they claim to be expediting review of my file but I won't hold my breathe

Were you not already 'under review' status, having submitted that long ago?

I got this email and replied to the address they gave in the email for a fee waiver, but I haven't received a response yet. Anyone know how long it takes for them to reply to emails about this?

I got this email and replied to the address they gave in the email for a fee waiver, but I haven't received a response yet. Anyone know how long it takes for them to reply to emails about this?

Mine only took a few hours, but that was back in early July. I'm sure it's going a lot slower now.

From what I understand, Stritch does not send rejections until the end of the application cycle.

What do ya'll think is more indicative of a silent rejection at this point? Being put on a hold, or still being "under review"?

What do ya'll think is more indicative of a silent rejection at this point? Being put on a hold, or still being "under review"?
Total speculation here, but I know at other schools they say a hold means they will re-review your application at x time, which means you are decidedly not rejected, though you may eventually be. Since Loyola doesn't specify, I don't know if this applies, but I would venture to say hold is not a silent rejection...yet

Sorry if it's been asked, but do you all think its too late to submit a secondary? I feel like it is really late, but just wanted to ask to hear what others had to say.

My undergrad works a lot with Stritch, and my premed advisor told me yesterday that they are one of the most holistic schools with their review process. She says she knows that they actually read every single word on your application each time they review it, which is why it can take awhile. So there is still hope!

Sorry if it's been asked, but do you all think its too late to submit a secondary? I feel like it is really late, but just wanted to ask to hear what others had to say.

Unless you have exceptional stats (520+, 3.8+), I would say it's too late. Save your money for the next cycle.

Has anyone who was complete early August heard back?

Is it worth calling in and asking for an update? Has anyone gotten any useful information by calling?

Reactions: 4 users
Quick question: Where does it say re-review or hold for you guys? Is it at the top of the home page? Mine says "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." and I submitted my application on 07/16.

Quick question: Where does it say re-review or hold for you guys? Is it at the top of the home page? Mine says "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." and I submitted my application on 07/16.

+1, and complete very early on 7/7. So much for an expedited review :p

I just got the call of acceptance!!!! Submitted my secondary sometime in early July and interviewed on 9/7. Just wanted to write this to let people know they are not done calling people! I had given up after not getting a call last week, but they called me today at 5:10 PM

Reactions: 12 users
Also got an acceptance from here today! YAYYY!!!! Interviewed on 9/28!

Reactions: 10 users
I also got an acceptance today! First Acceptance!! Submitted early July. Interviewed during later part of Sept. LizzyM: 68-70.

Reactions: 9 users
I wanted to ask about being an LGBT at any of these Jesuit/religious schools and how the overall attitude is toward it. It's just a little worrying what you said about birth control because of many positive benefits as well as tying tubes, but the IVF bugs me the most because some family members are work in IVF clinics and it interests me. Do you know of some of these standards are obvious in their research programs and the topics faculty work on?

Like @NachoPlatter, I was pretty disappointed by the limitations in women’s health due to religious affiliation. So here are my thoughts:
1. Every religiously affiliated school will have some sorts of limitations but also ways around it. We have relationships with community hospitals where you can see more options. (I scrubbed in on plenty of tubals)
2. If you really want to see more, you’re always allowed to volunteer at places like Planned Parenthood, for example.
3. You’ll have to be mindful of these same limitations when applying for residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile