2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interview today? That was my first interview and first MMI. It was a different experience for me

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
~4 months and still silence. MSU pls send some love

Interviewed recently and hated how much I loved this school. So unbelievably expensive for OOS. Urgh... </3

I'm jumping the gun here but does anyone know if there are scholarship opportunities if you commit to working in the state or something along those lines? someone help me before I sink into a deep depression... ;__;

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Cancelled interview for 10/27 if anyone is looking to move up their date.

Accepted! Just got the call a bit ago. So excited :)) interviewed 9/28.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted also!! Canadian, interviewed 9/28!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 9/28

For those that were waitlisted, how were you notified? Through email or phone?

They suck so badly. 8 minutes for someone to get to know me personally? I'm sure that's why speed dating has been is so wildy effective at finding soul mates...

MSUCOM is the only MMI I've had so maybe other ones are different but I didn't think this MMI was meant to get to know you. It's meant to gauge your skills with communication, problem solving, and your ability to think on your feet.

MSUCOM is the only MMI I've had so maybe other ones are different but I didn't think this MMI was meant to get to know you. It's meant to gauge your skills with communication, problem solving, and your ability to think on your feet.
So, in other words, getting to know me?

How is learning about you different than getting to know you? Regardless 8 minutes is an insufficient amount of time for either

How is learning about you different than getting to know you? Regardless 8 minutes is an insufficient amount of time for either

An MMI gives you a sort of “show don’t tell” opportunity and the chance to differentiate yourself from others as an applicant in a practical way, rather than trying to just impress an interviewer with your words. So yeah, it’s a short time to make an impression on each interviewer, but:

1. Showing you can communicate concisely and effectively is part of the point.

And

2. You get a chance to make an impression on a variety of people with influence on your admission status, rather than a single interviewer or small panel.

Idk, I enjoyed it a lot. Sorry to hear that you didn’t.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone able to tell me approximately how long the interview day was? I am trying to make sure I book the best bus for my return trip. Thanks

Is anyone able to tell me approximately how long the interview day was? I am trying to make sure I book the best bus for my return trip. Thanks

Mine was scheduled 8:15 to 12:15. Probably got done around 12:05

Interviewed recently and hated how much I loved this school. So unbelievably expensive for OOS. Urgh... </3

I'm jumping the gun here but does anyone know if there are scholarship opportunities if you commit to working in the state or something along those lines? someone help me before I sink into a deep depression... ;__;

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you're committed to primary care, I would consider the NHSC Service Corps Scholarship. It's full tuition plus stipend for agreeing to work in an underserved area after residency. I would look into it!

An MMI gives you a sort of “show don’t tell” opportunity and the chance to differentiate yourself from others as an applicant in a practical way, rather than trying to just impress an interviewer with your words. So yeah, it’s a short time to make an impression on each interviewer, but:

1. Showing you can communicate concisely and effectively is part of the point.

And

2. You get a chance to make an impression on a variety of people with influence on your admission status, rather than a single interviewer or small panel.

Idk, I enjoyed it a lot. Sorry to hear that you didn’t.

I agree! There's a ton of research that shows the MMI is a very accurate indicator of how successful you will be as a student/ in your career. You can talk about your resume all day long but in the long run your communication skills, ability to work under pressure, and teamwork skills are what is going to predict your success as a physician. Coming from someone with average to slightly above average EC's, I loved it because I felt I demonstrated the fact that I had the attributes to be a great med student and physician even though I don't have a million research publications and community service hours (which is what would be beneficial in a traditional interview).

They suck so badly. 8 minutes for someone to get to know me personally? I'm sure that's why speed dating has been is so wildy effective at finding soul mates...

Normal interviews are even worse. 10-15 minutes of just rehashing your personal statement and secondary essays of "Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to be a doctor? Why this school?" and if you're applying DO, "Why osteopathic medicine?" Also, if you and the interviewer/panel don't "click" or you say something that pisses off someone, it sours the entire interview and tanks your chances. MMIs give you several chances to 'reset'.

Reactions: 3 users

I think gaining knowledge about the traits/qualities that I listed is much more valuable to med schools than a 30 minute interview about why medicine, your hobbies, strength and weakness, etc., which can all be covered in your PS, recommendation letters, and secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know what marks you need to maintain after acceptance? all I can find is it says "continued academic performance"?

Interviewed Sep 28, Canadian, 1st Tier WL. I heard of some Canadians not getting off the 1st Tier WL last year, does this mean that Canadians get put on a different set of wait lists?

Interviewed Sep 28, Canadian, 1st Tier WL. I heard of some Canadians not getting off the 1st Tier WL last year, does this mean that Canadians get put on a different set of wait lists?

Maybe I heard wrong but I thought Dr. Ruger said that all Canadians on tier 1 get accepted.

Maybe I heard wrong but I thought Dr. Ruger said that all Canadians on tier 1 get accepted.
I was tier 1 waitlisted last year and was not accepted. However I did interview late (Feb 2nd) so perhaps that had an impact.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I would imagine that the waitlist functions a bit differently for Canadians, yes. Maybe not a separate list entirely though.

Are there any current students from the Macomb campus that would like to share why they chose Macomb and what they like and dislike about it?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what the see the sites visit dress code is?
It can't hurt to dress up a bit. It sounds like we might have the opportunity to meet with students and admissions, so I'd rather keep up an impression of professionalism and interest (especially since I'm a later applicant waiting on an II!) :)

Does anyone know what the see the sites visit dress code is?
You don't need to suit up if that's what you're worried about. In fact, it's not that formal and just gives you a chance to get to know the campus and talk to current students. That being said, don't wear anything too provocative.

Did any of you wear a black suit and white shirt to your interviews? From what I'm reading I'm beginning to think that's a bad idea.

Did any of you wear a black suit and white shirt to your interviews? From what I'm reading I'm beginning to think that's a bad idea.

I just had my interview at VCOM this past Friday. I'd say about half of us wore black suits and the other half was split between navy and charcoal/grey. I think whats most important is looking sharp and professional. In the grand scheme of things your choice in suit color will not keep you out of medical school.....assuming you don't pick a color like sunset orange.

What are your stats, if you don’t mind me asking? I am a Canadian too, interviewed on Oct.18th

I would imagine that the waitlist functions a bit differently for Canadians, yes. Maybe not a separate list entirely though.

Dr. Ruger did say the Canadian WL is separate and operates differently than the US waitlist.

What's wrong with a black suit and white shirt? Pretty sure that's what I wore. It's all about the tie, anyway. Choose carefully.

What's wrong with a black suit and white shirt? Pretty sure that's what I wore. It's all about the tie, anyway. Choose carefully.
Meh. Some people feel like they're qualified as fashion critics and say black is 'too formal' or makes it look like you're at a funeral. I personally think a black suit is just fine and makes no difference in the way you're perceived.

As long as they *don't* remember you based on your outfit, you're good. Black suit sounds perfectly fine!

So is anyone who is applying next cycle doing See the Sites? I'm not sure if this is just a program that's more for accepted applicants than non-accepted.

Is the "See the sites" event for families as well? Or it's just for students?