2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do they normally start pulling from the WL?

Members don't see this ad.

When do they normally start pulling from the WL?
Former Tier 2, current tier 1 waitlisted here. When looking at recent years, the waitlist really starts moving around March and continues steadily until after around when class starts. Canadians are a little different and have their own deadlines so I can’t speak to them. That said, when it could move you depends on the tier. When meeting with an advisor, I was told that they compare the first tier to the interviewees periodically and can pull at anytime throughout the year. Just to keep going for the sake of condensing waitlist info: the past two years have had all of tier 1 (American) and about half of tier 2 (American) move. Around 150 people out of 300ish they waitlisted. Canadian may not have a separate waitlist (there has been discussion on this), but they are pulled differently. MSU has a certain number of Canadian seats they save (I believe it’s 20 or 30). Therefore, for a Canadian to be pulled a Canadian seat has to be opened. That lower volume leads to less movement causing them to tend to not get through tier 1 (Canadian) a lot of the time.

TLDR: I spend too much time reading through these threads.

Reactions: 1 users
Former Tier 2, current tier 1 waitlisted here. When looking at recent years, the waitlist really starts moving around March and continues steadily until after around when class starts. Canadians are a little different and have their own deadlines so I can’t speak to them. That said, when it could move you depends on the tier. When meeting with an advisor, I was told that they compare the first tier to the interviewees periodically and can pull at anytime throughout the year. Just to keep going for the sake of condensing waitlist info: the past two years have had all of tier 1 (American) and about half of tier 2 (American) move. Around 150 people out of 300ish they waitlisted. Canadian may not have a separate waitlist (there has been discussion on this), but they are pulled differently. MSU has a certain number of Canadian seats they save (I believe it’s 20 or 30). Therefore, for a Canadian to be pulled a Canadian seat has to be opened. That lower volume leads to less movement causing them to tend to not get through tier 1 (Canadian) a lot of the time.

TLDR: I spend too much time reading through these threads.
Thanks. Hoe did you go from tier 2 to 1???

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Hoe did you go from tier 2 to 1???
Two separate years. I was Tier 2 last year. I made adjustments in my application and became a better interviewer in my year off and got on T1 this year.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only been 1 week since my interview and I'm already getting nervous about a call back. Let the neuroticism begin!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to all today's interviewees! I get so excited when I see you all in your fancy clothes walking around Fee :)

Reactions: 3 users
for Canadians: to secure my seat, do I need to start my i20 application prior to the acceptance deadline? or just pay the $1000 deposit?

for Canadians: to secure my seat, do I need to start my i20 application prior to the acceptance deadline? or just pay the $1000 deposit?

I just paid the deposit and like an hour later, I got the confirmation email for the site that I was assigned.

Fellow Canucks...for those of you that were accepted, approximately how long did you have to wait after the interview, to hear back from the admissions office??

Fellow Canucks...for those of you that were accepted, approximately how long did you have to wait after the interview, to hear back from the admissions office??
I was interviewed on 8th September ; got accepted on September 25th. I paid deposit for Detroit campus.
Last week, I got accepted to MD school so I will be giving up my seat at MSUCOM. Good luck fellow Canucks :)

I was interviewed on 8th September ; got accepted on September 25th. I paid deposit for Detroit campus.
Last week, I got accepted to MD school so I will be giving up my seat at MSUCOM. Good luck fellow Canucks :)

Congrats! Hopefully I get your spot lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy poop got the call

interview was 18th of October

EDIT: I'm also an IS applicant

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Is it worth going here OOS?
Not sure anyone can really answer that question for you. That's for you to decide. But MSUCOM offers one of the most extensive networks for GME of any DO school, so there are a lot of opportunities for you after you graduate, assuming you do fairly well. But it depends what other opportunities are available to you, because OOS tuition sure is expensive.

Interview on 10/18. Still waiting to hear. Congrats to all who got the call!

Interviewed 10/18 as well, still waiting...impatiently lol

Last edited:
Received an acceptance call earlier today! Interviewed 10/18

IS with 3.68 cGPA and 507 MCAT with balanced subscores
I performed no research, but I did have a lot of clinical/volunteer hours

Excited to meet my future colleagues! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Received an acceptance call earlier today! Interviewed 10/18

IS with 3.68 cGPA and 507 MCAT with balanced subscores
I performed no research, but I did have a lot of clinical/volunteer hours

Excited to meet my future colleagues! :)
around what time did you get the call?

10/18 interviewee here too... still waiting. Congrats to those who have heard good news already and good luck to the rest of us who haven't heard yet!

10/18 interview. Just got he call.....I'M IN!!! She said there's a few more calls left to make today so keep your phones nearby.

Reactions: 6 users
10/18 interview. Just got he call.....I'M IN!!! She said there's a few more calls left to make today so keep your phones nearby.

Congrats!!! Go green! I hope I'm one of those calls

Got an II yesterday- will be interviewing 11/28!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 9/28, accepted 10/16. Unfortunately, I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!

10/18 people: anyone else still nervously waiting :(

Yeah, I heard a lot of people hear back around 3 weeks though, so hopefully today or Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

Yeah a buddy of mine got accepted at 3 weeks...he interview about the same time we did! Dr. Ruger did say within 30 days, however I’ve been told that can fluctuate depending on how busy they are...

Yeah a buddy of mine got accepted at 3 weeks...he interview about the same time we did! Dr. Ruger did say within 30 days, however I’ve been told that can fluctuate depending on how busy they are...
Ahh! hopefully we hear back around Wednesday then. The waiting game is sooo rough lol

Good vibes to all of us still waiting!! :)