2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm not sure if it's too early to be looking into this, but I was trying to figure out where to live and I'm not very familiar with the East Lansing area. I've seen a few nice apartment options in the Okemos area but I'm not sure if that is a nice area or a good place to live. I'm possibly interested in living alone, and being right on campus isn't super important to me. Any input would help, thanks!

edit: does anyone have any insight on living alone vs. with roommates?

There are a lot of apartments on and surrounding campus. I live by myself two miles from school, and have no problems. I wouldn't wait till later because places do fill up.

Depends on you. Living by yourself means you don't have to share any living space/kitchen/bathroom, you have your own privacy always, and you can have family/SOs and friends come whenever you want. If you prefer studying solo and you can study in an apartment, then go for it. On the other hand, there are times inevitably where I felt it would have been nice to have a med school roommate to talk to and chill with. Living by yourself usually does cost more, so there's that. You could try for an apartment where each person gets an own room and bathroom, so maybe some of the best of both worlds there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm not sure if it's too early to be looking into this, but I was trying to figure out where to live and I'm not very familiar with the East Lansing area. I've seen a few nice apartment options in the Okemos area but I'm not sure if that is a nice area or a good place to live. I'm possibly interested in living alone, and being right on campus isn't super important to me. Any input would help, thanks!

edit: does anyone have any insight on living alone vs. with roommates?

Okemos is a fine area. Not very exciting, but not dangerous or anything like that. Meridian township is right next door too that has some housing options nearby. If you're going to be driving anyway, you could look into places up north of campus toward Saginaw Highway (but still technically in East Lansing). They're sometimes cheaper and more spacious since they're a bit farther away.

Has anyone been able to find a calendar or anticipated dates for our semesters? I need to plan a family vacation in our short break. Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I interviewed 12/14 and am an IS MSU undergrad applicant. I haven't heard anything yet and they did say at the interview that because of the holiday season we would hear closer to the end of 30 days rather than earlier. Do you think it is appropriate to call and ask when I can expect to hear? I'm starting to get really nervous :nailbiting:

Hi everyone! I interviewed 12/14 and am an IS MSU undergrad applicant. I haven't heard anything yet and they did say at the interview that because of the holiday season we would hear closer to the end of 30 days rather than earlier. Do you think it is appropriate to call and ask when I can expect to hear? I'm starting to get really nervous :nailbiting:

No need to fret, you will hear within 30 days...I heard back on day 30. KCCO.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's super nerve-wracking but calling isn't going to expedite the process at all, and whoever you speak to won't be able to give you any specific update. They're very aware of the 30 day deadline they give and are really good about sticking to it. You'll hear back by day 30. Hope you get good news!

So I recently received this response from MSUCOM Admissions after inquiring where I may end up given I get off the waitlist.

“Thank you for your interest in Michigan State University's College of Osteopathic Medicine. Both the East Lansing and Macomb sites still have availability (Macomb more than East Lansing). The Detroit site is at capacity and there is a waitlist for it.”

Can anyone speak to their experience at Macomb, with some likes and dislikes? I think I have a grasp of EL, but they are welcome as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up here on Jan 24 and I was wondering if they give you a scrap paper and a pen to write on during the 2 minutes you have to read the question and formulate an answer. Thanks for your help in advance!!

Hi guys, I'm a little late to the party...but here's my info: I'm a Canadian MS-I studying at MSUCOM. I was accepted off the waitlist, so PM me if you have any questions about that. I applied a bit late (around November) and got an interview in January, got accepted in May.
Let me know if you have any questions :)
MSUCOM is a wonderful school and everyone is kind/helpful to each other. There are a lot of Canadians here...MSUCOM offers a lot of support for Canadians, which is why I chose to come here and I don't regret it :)

Reactions: 2 users
I was just wondering if any of you think or have any idea whether or not all the stuff going on in the news will have an effect on MSUCOM or not?
The dean stepping down is most likely the only tangible effect on COM. It was about time for a fresh face in the administration anyways so it may not necessarily be a bad thing. Otherwise I see no real way it will affect students concretely. Luckily the media has been pretty kind in deflecting the news away from COM and onto those that deserve blame.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who is going to be an M1 this summer still need a roommate? will be attending East Lansing and still need a roommate for an apartment

Anyone who is going to be an M1 this summer still need a roommate? will be attending East Lansing and still need a roommate for an apartment

MSUCOM '22 Facebook page is really good for this!

So, supplies need to be purchased by 3/2, but what if you're still waiting to hear back from schools until the 4/30 cut off? Do any current students know what people usually do in this case? Do you purchase them regardless of knowing exactly where you'll be going?

Hey guys! Interviewing on Wednesday. Looking through this forum I found a lot helpful tips for the interview :)

I just have one question that I couldn’t find an answer to, is the MMI’s individual or in a group?

Thanks

So it's been 7 months since my application and still no decision. Is there really anything I can do to show interest in MSUCOM pre-II?

Last edited:
this is majorly off topic, but are there any other do/phd candidates going for the PhD weekend in Feb?

MSU protecting sexual predators citing osteopathic principles:

OMM used to shield sexual abuse
I'd like to take it upon myself to respond to this, because it's important that future students understand that we as students of MSUCOM are not complicit in this and are actively fighting for survivors.

Dean Strample, who is implicated in Nassar's case, is no longer at the school. I am apart of a task force at COM that is working to overhaul the training and conversation at COM surrounding sexual violence and trauma informed care. Strample has been replaced by the best possible choice for COM, Dr. Andrea Amalfitano, who will be addressing this with COM tomorrow at noon. I, and many of my classmates, are sickened by the actions of Nassar and that he's used an osteopathic practice as a guise for assaulting vulnerable young women for two decades. Trust me, we are just as upset by this as you all are and will not allow rape apologists continue to be apart of our school.

Reactions: 20 users
I am apart of a task force at COM that is working to overhaul the training and conversation at COM surrounding sexual violence and trauma informed care.
Let me first say, I think it's awesome that the COM students are banding together to help promote this change and it really speaks volumes about the student body. If you don't mind me asking, what changes to the current training/curriculum/policies are you guys pushing for the most right now?

Reactions: 5 users
Will they send out an email with a letter/update to us(class of 2022)? I was disappointed to find out about Dean Strampel leaving from the free press and not from the school itself.

Will they send out an email with a letter/update to us(class of 2022)? I was disappointed to find out about Dean Strampel leaving from the free press and not from the school itself.

There's still a long ways to go before the Class of 2022 is decided on. There are still seats to be filled, and several who've already been accepted will end up elsewhere. Maybe wait until orientation and you are officially a part of COM and I'm sure it will be addressed to you?

There's still a long ways to go before the Class of 2022 is decided on. There are still seats to be filled, and several who've already been accepted will end up elsewhere. Maybe wait until orientation and you are officially a part of COM and I'm sure it will be addressed to you?

I just think an open line of communication and reassurance with people who have put their deposits down would be nice is all.

Reactions: 4 users
I just think an open line of communication and reassurance with people who have put their deposits down would be nice is all.

Yeah you're right, sorry that was a d-bag comment

I think they're probably waiting until they have more figured out so they can give us a better idea of how things will look before sending out a mass update. Lot of things still up in the air right now it seems.

Hi guys, I'm a little late to the party...but here's my info: I'm a Canadian MS-I studying at MSUCOM. I was accepted off the waitlist, so PM me if you have any questions about that. I applied a bit late (around November) and got an interview in January, got accepted in May.
Let me know if you have any questions :)
MSUCOM is a wonderful school and everyone is kind/helpful to each other. There are a lot of Canadians here...MSUCOM offers a lot of support for Canadians, which is why I chose to come here and I don't regret it :)

Hey I PM'd you, hope you see this! :)

anyone have any guidelines for scrub sizes?? :)
It’s just something you got to try on, if you can find a local scrub store you’d be better off. I ordered the same size scrubs I currently wear but from greys anatomy and they were a lot tighter

anyone have any guidelines for scrub sizes?? :)

Male or female? I'm a male and have tried a bunch of different types of scrubs. I'm an average build 5'8'' 160 ish pounds and I find that small grey's anatomy scrub tops fit me well with a medium bottom. The greys anatomy bottoms run long and I need to get them hemmed. The smalls fit better around the waste and length but the problem with them is that the thighs are really tight. This is why I went up to the medium size. Durability wise I have had a few drawstrings break on me over about 4 years of use. They are very soft.

My current favorite scrubs are Figs. They're a little bit softer and have elastic and drawstring in the waste vs. my grey's anatomy which only have a draw string. With the figs, I wear both a small top and small bottom and the bottoms are just slightly longer and could probably use an inch or two hem so they don't drag on the floor with tennis shoes. Drawback to the figs is that they're expensive.

Carhartt makes very durable scrubs that are definitely not as soft as the other two. They're also a little bit cheaper and generally fit to actual size. I'd recommend trying on any scrubs before you buy them but sometimes this isn't always feasible.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s just something you got to try on, if you can find a local scrub store you’d be better off. I ordered the same size scrubs I currently wear but from greys anatomy and they were a lot tighter

thanks! do you mean the MSUCOM scrubs were bigger?

Male or female? I'm a male and have tried a bunch of different types of scrubs. I'm an average build 5'8'' 160 ish pounds and I find that small grey's anatomy scrub tops fit me well with a medium bottom. The greys anatomy bottoms run long and I need to get them hemmed. The smalls fit better around the waste and length but the problem with them is that the thighs are really tight. This is why I went up to the medium size. Durability wise I have had a few drawstrings break on me over about 4 years of use. They are very soft.

My current favorite scrubs are Figs. They're a little bit softer and have elastic and drawstring in the waste vs. my grey's anatomy which only have a draw string. With the figs, I wear both a small top and small bottom and the bottoms are just slightly longer and could probably use an inch or two hem so they don't drag on the floor with tennis shoes. Drawback to the figs is that they're expensive.

Carhartt makes very durable scrubs that are definitely not as soft as the other two. They're also a little bit cheaper and generally fit to actual size. I'd recommend trying on any scrubs before you buy them but sometimes this isn't always feasible.

Hope this helps!

thanks! I am female but was referring to the MSUCOM scrubs... do you know what brand those are?

The MSU scrubs don't have enough pockets, don't bother with them. I went to a place called QD Scrubs in Lansing and they had a bunch of different brands you could try on.

Just interviewed 1/24, anyone hear back yet? Is it going to take the full 30 days or will we probably hear back sooner (2-3 weeks after interview)?

Just interviewed 1/24, anyone hear back yet? Is it going to take the full 30 days or will we probably hear back sooner (2-3 weeks after interview)?
It's Based on your reviewer. Each day is broken into groups that they review. Some hear back real soon (1.5 Weeks) some take almost the full 30. A quick question, did you have an option for a later interview. I am on the waitlist and want to see when the last one is so I can get a guess on the earliest I may hear about movement.

Interviewed 1/24 too I’ll post as soon as I hear something

It's Based on your reviewer. Each day is broken into groups that they review. Some hear back real soon (1.5 Weeks) some take almost the full 30. A quick question, did you have an option for a later interview. I am on the waitlist and want to see when the last one is so I can get a guess on the earliest I may hear about movement.
Thanks! There was an option for a later one in February. I can’t remember the date.
Interviewed 1/24 too I’ll post as soon as I hear something
Thanks!

I interviewed here on Jan 24 and I'm working on getting my vaccines/titers done a different school, but I figured I might as well get everything done for both schools together. Does anyone know the requirements for MSUCOM? Thanks!