2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, can anyone provide me with information on how solid rotations are for Utah students? I've received conflicting information. Some say that they are fine, others say that they are struggling in finding sites for years 3 and 4 in Utah. I would assume that everyone has to leave the St. George area, or have they set something up with Dixie Regional? I know they have had a long relationship with the hospital in Provo. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how have you guys been able to find housing off campus? I've been struggling in finding places online. I don't really want to live on campus in a small room for $800+ a month.

i know of a brand new 3 bedroom townhome under 2 miles from the RVU campus in Ivins if you’re interested. It’s $1500/month. There’s a pool, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Any current RVU students/folks familiar with the area care to suggest a local say hike or sights that cannot be missed? Local restaurants that are notable?

Also, for all the applicants I received an e-mail stating that they are having technical difficulties with their portal website, so don't freak out. If nothing else the admissions rep said the forms can just be done on interview day.

Hey guys, can anyone provide me with information on how solid rotations are for Utah students? I've received conflicting information. Some say that they are fine, others say that they are struggling in finding sites for years 3 and 4 in Utah. I would assume that everyone has to leave the St. George area, or have they set something up with Dixie Regional? I know they have had a long relationship with the hospital in Provo. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how have you guys been able to find housing off campus? I've been struggling in finding places online. I don't really want to live on campus in a small room for $800+ a month.
Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, because there's like an 85% chance I'm missing details but....
Since nobody at RVU-UT has gone through 3rd and 4th year it is impossible to be sure how things will be.
There is no formal relationship between Dixie regional and RVU, but students will hopefully do rotations there, but obviously not many because it isn't that big and we have a lot of students.
There are relations between RVU and Revere Health. They have no long relationship with the hospital in Provo, or any relationship at all (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong), but they do have an agreement with Revere right across the street. They have had a hard time getting IHC on board with anything because of the UofU, but they are meeting with IHC representatives in December and will hopefully be working something out. Good chance some students may have to leave the state, some to Colorado I'd be willing to bet.
They do have over 400 preceptor locations, for what it is worth, but very little ward based thus far. They have places set for students to rotate in St. George, Richfield, West Jordan, Provo, Ogden, Price and many other Utah locations, with more coming in all of the time. They said they will try to make sure everything is within a 40 mile radius of wherever they send you for rotations.
It is a new school, and that's just the way it is. The comfort comes from the fact that they are accredited and RVU is an AMAZING institution with a board of directors that obviously has got their stuff figured out. I think if we need a surgery rotation and we can't get one in our set locations they would help set us up for 4 weeks in Colorado, they won't let us fall through the cracks and care about their students success and are competent enough to make good things happen. They have shown that in Colorado.

Also housing is plentiful, like others said, get a house and share with 2 people, rent will be dirt cheap and you'll have a backyard. I'm married otherwise I'd volunteer. The on campus studio apartments are $1250, not $800 unfortunately, but it includes internet, water, electricity, etc. so that is a flat fee each month (though you pay by semester). The two bedrooms are $1750 a month and might be worth getting and splitting with someone else as well.

It would be nice if everything was set in stone and RVU-UT had been around for 4 years and we knew what would happen. We don't. But I'm excited that I get to be the first RVU-UT student most people will meet and hopefully leave a good impression on, because I believe in this school and want to help it succeed as much as they want me to, which is why I've chosen to attend starting next year, so all my opinions may be a little biased :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be declining my offer of acceptance at RVU-COM since I got into a school closer to home. With that, I would have definitely attended RVU-COM if it hadn't been for a need to be closer to my family. Everyone at this school are super resourceful and they truly seem to care about their student's success. Something that spoke a lot to me! Also, it's located in a beautiful area. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Yhorm the Giant is right about rotations from what Ive heard. But know that some students from the Colorado campus have been rotating at the Utah sites. I've heard good things but don't know enough details to say how good the rotations will be.

A lot of the students here room together off campus. If you do go off campus realize that utilities can add up quick, especially in the summer. So on campus might seem like a lot but the students that live there seem to like it. I live off campus and have to pay for internet, city utilities, gas and electricity which is all included. Also if you live where you can get Dixie Power, they are much cheaper than Rocky Mt. Power or whatever we have in Ivins.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, because there's like an 85% chance I'm missing details but....
Since nobody at RVU-UT has gone through 3rd and 4th year it is impossible to be sure how things will be.
There is no formal relationship between Dixie regional and RVU, but students will hopefully do rotations there, but obviously not many because it isn't that big and we have a lot of students.
There are relations between RVU and Revere Health. They have no long relationship with the hospital in Provo, or any relationship at all (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong), but they do have an agreement with Revere right across the street. They have had a hard time getting IHC on board with anything because of the UofU, but they are meeting with IHC representatives in December and will hopefully be working something out. Good chance some students may have to leave the state, some to Colorado I'd be willing to bet.
They do have over 400 preceptor locations, for what it is worth, but very little ward based thus far. They have places set for students to rotate in St. George, Richfield, West Jordan, Provo, Ogden, Price and many other Utah locations, with more coming in all of the time. They said they will try to make sure everything is within a 40 mile radius of wherever they send you for rotations.
It is a new school, and that's just the way it is. The comfort comes from the fact that they are accredited and RVU is an AMAZING institution with a board of directors that obviously has got their stuff figured out. I think if we need a surgery rotation and we can't get one in our set locations they would help set us up for 4 weeks in Colorado, they won't let us fall through the cracks and care about their students success and are competent enough to make good things happen. They have shown that in Colorado.

Also housing is plentiful, like others said, get a house and share with 2 people, rent will be dirt cheap and you'll have a backyard. I'm married otherwise I'd volunteer. The on campus studio apartments are $1250, not $800 unfortunately, but it includes internet, water, electricity, etc. so that is a flat fee each month (though you pay by semester). The two bedrooms are $1750 a month and might be worth getting and splitting with someone else as well.

It would be nice if everything was set in stone and RVU-UT had been around for 4 years and we knew what would happen. We don't. But I'm excited that I get to be the first RVU-UT student most people will meet and hopefully leave a good impression on, because I believe in this school and want to help it succeed as much as they want me to, which is why I've chosen to attend starting next year, so all my opinions may be a little biased :)

Accepted to CO just now. Interviewed 10/4. My first choice over MD schools as well. Will be canceling DO interviews and withdrawing my UT acceptance soon. Look forward to meeting my future classmates!
Well done! I'm a first year and it's been a blast here so far. Looking forward to seeing you next fall!

Current first year at Utah. I agree that most of what he said is correct. I have heard that we are in with IHC state wide though so that a little different than what he mentioned. But like they have said the administration is awesome they aren'g going to leave any of us stuck with low quality rotations. I have heard that pretty much everyone will rotate in Utah unless you want to rotate elsewhere. RVU students have been rotating in Utah for several years now. One of the nice things is if you want to rotate in your home state they will help make that happen. I know several RVU students that did all their rotations in CA or other states not just the traditional sites.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON UTAH HOUSING: Do not stay in the overpriced on campus housing. There is plenty of off campus housing it just takes a little bit more effort to line up and utilities aren't bad even in the hot months I pay 180 ish for a 3 bedroom town home. A lot of students split houses together and are paying between 400-800 dollars a month (each) for very nice houses close to campus. There are also quite a few students who have found apartments a little bit farther from school for under 1000 a month. Don't feel like your only option is to live on campus and don't buy into thinking that because they pay for utilities and internet it will be cheaper. They initially wanted 2800 dollars a month for a two bedroom. The owners of the housing (NOT OWNED BY RVU) are after your money.

Here is a link to the facebook housing search page for UTAH many of us will be willing to help you guys find housing. Log into Facebook | Facebook
thanks for the correction!!!! That is really good to know! Especially for housing options.

So I finally just decided to email someone and ask them to clarify about the background check/drug screen dates.

In the original email they sent us, the wording says we have to be registered for the background check & drug test by December 14th. I emailed to get clarification, and they actually want us to have them completed by then. The wording is just a bit confusing so I figured I would post it on here in case anyone else thought they just had to be registered by then. I know someone else above was confused too.... @BoogieBoogieBoogieBoo tagging you in case you still want to know.

Reactions: 1 users
I know people have been saying there has been a problem with the portal since the maintenance, but I got an email saying it should have been fixed, but I'm still unable to schedule an interview (for the Utah campus) as well as sign any of the waivers. Anyone else still having these issues?

I know people have been saying there has been a problem with the portal since the maintenance, but I got an email saying it should have been fixed, but I'm still unable to schedule an interview (for the Utah campus) as well as sign any of the waivers. Anyone else still having these issues?

Waivers are still not working for me. I was able to schedule (Anyone else going Tuesday?), but the waivers have never worked. The nice admission lady (Jenny) told me not to worry and to just sign the forms on interview day. It's more concerning if you actually can't schedule it.... That I would call about.

Waivers are still not working for me. I was able to schedule (Anyone else going Tuesday?), but the waivers have never worked. The nice admission lady (Jenny) told me not to worry and to just sign the forms on interview day. It's more concerning if you actually can't schedule it.... That I would call about.

Hmm okay. When did you schedule the interview? I just got the email yesterday saying I was invited for the interview and I called them and left a message as well as emailed, but haven't gotten a response yet.

So I finally just decided to email someone and ask them to clarify about the background check/drug screen dates.

In the original email they sent us, the wording says we have to be registered for the background check & drug test by December 14th. I emailed to get clarification, and they actually want us to have them completed by then. The wording is just a bit confusing so I figured I would post it on here in case anyone else thought they just had to be registered by then. I know someone else above was confused too.... @BoogieBoogieBoogieBoo tagging you in case you still want to know.
Okay so background check and drug test complete, but we can still be working on all of our other immunizations and everything right?

Hmm okay. When did you schedule the interview? I just got the email yesterday saying I was invited for the interview and I called them and left a message as well as emailed, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I got the II last Friday and scheduled the interview the following Monday due to their website being down over the weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the II last Friday and scheduled the interview the following Monday due to their website being down over the weekend.

I think I'm just being paranoid because I've heard stories of people accidentally getting invited for interviews and having them revoked, so I'm just really hoping that's not happening to me right now lol. Thanks for the response! I'll just patiently wait for their response.

Okay so background check and drug test complete, but we can still be working on all of our other immunizations and everything right?
I believe so! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it says that immunizations, etc. are due at time of admission.

I believe so! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it says that immunizations, etc. are due at time of admission.
The thing you want to be aware of is that certain immunizations must be taken in series, at a set interval. So if you get started too late, you won't be able to matriculate.

The thing you want to be aware of is that certain immunizations must be taken in series, at a set interval. So if you get started too late, you won't be able to matriculate.
Absolutely! The sooner we start, the better :)

Has anybody had issues with the acceptance letter and matriculation agreement? Since the update the website basically hasn't been working for me. I signed it but now it just says "you have met the submission limit for this form". :(
Yep don't worry about it :) I got a hold of them for the exact same issue, they told me not to worry about it, and I believe that if we needed to submit it again or anything they would send out an email

Yes, that's what I gathered from the email response I got! She only said that the drug test + background check had to be done by then.

Although, like others said, I would start checking your titers for things like Hep B that take forever if you need to redo the series.

Has anybody had issues with the acceptance letter and matriculation agreement? Since the update the website basically hasn't been working for me. I signed it but now it just says "you have met the submission limit for this form". :(
I have the same problem. Basically, I went ahead and downloaded/saved the signed copy that is available on our portal to keep just in case problems arise in the future. It should be under "View Submitted Matriculation Agreement".

This isnt true they will let you matriculate even if you havn't finished we have multiple students still finishing up their series.
This isnt true they will let you matriculate even if you havn't finished we have multiple students still finishing up their series.
Okay that is really good to know! I think that I have everything done, considering I just shadowed through Intermountain Healthcare and it took me like a few months to get all of their immunization requirements handled, so I think I'm pretty good on all that stuff. But I have a doctor's appointment at the end of this month. So it sounds like as long as I'm getting going this month regardless I should be fine

I actually don't have the option/can't see the document at all. I ended up contacting admissions who told me not to worry about it they'll be going through each person individually and making sure the agreement is signed and submitted properly and if not they'll just email us the agreement. So for anyone else out there freaking out like I was don't stress, all the staff has been so nice and helpful!
Exact same experience here. Also totally agree with how helpful they have been!!!

Is it too late to submit a primary here? 3.5/509 OOS.

Sorry for the noob question, but my first interview is coming up here and I am wondering if it is expected to bring documents like your resume to the interview? I'm looking at interview tips and people talk about bringing that, but it doesn't seem like something that is relevant to this school since they already have your personal statement and secondary application anyway (so I read).

Sorry for the noob question, but my first interview is coming up here and I am wondering if it is expected to bring documents like your resume to the interview? I'm looking at interview tips and people talk about bringing that, but it doesn't seem like something that is relevant to this school since they already have your personal statement and secondary application anyway (so I read).
I didn't. Most don't. Only reason you'd want it would be so that you could review it while you were waiting, but that is definitely what you want to be doing in the days leading up anyways. I believe it's more important to be relaxed right before

Is it too late to submit a primary here? 3.5/509 OOS.

Current student here. I submitted OOS in December of last year with lower stats and still made it. All you can do is try :)

Anyone know if a Dec. 11 interview is too late? It seems like they've given out quite a few already.

Anyone know if a Dec. 11 interview is too late? It seems like they've given out quite a few already.

Like I said above, I submitted my primary in Dec, and didn't interview until Feb last year. I also had worse stats than a lot of people here. Theres always hope :)

Flying to LAS today! Anybody else interview tomorrow?
Any current RV Utah students care to PM me some recommendations for a hike/local places to eat? :)

Flying to LAS today! Anybody else interview tomorrow?
Any current RV Utah students care to PM me some recommendations for a hike/local places to eat? :)

I'm interviewing tomorrow! Flying in very late, but I don't have my interview until 11am so not too bad. Will see you then maybe!

Entirely unnecessary in the modern age. Just be able to elaborate on your projects, research, and personal statement. To roughly the same extent if you had a friend who asked you what your projects were all about and what you actually did in them.

what would it take to get a Utah and a Colorado thread?

anyone staying @ the radisson (or anywhere tbh) 11/14 night for 11/15 interview want to hang out/maybe grab dinner?

Agreed that would be helpful, but I'm afraid it will take waiting until the next application cycle. Some one tried making one last year for Utah specifically, but it was made too late in the process and people just kept using the general Rocky Vista one for both schools. Be a good soul and think of this before the next applicants start coming to SDN :)

this would be helpful. in the meantime, is there a RVUCOM-SU 2022 facebook? I would like to start talking specifics about the utah campus

this would be helpful. in the meantime, is there a RVUCOM-SU 2022 facebook? I would like to start talking specifics about the utah campus
Agreed that would be helpful, but I'm afraid it will take waiting until the next application cycle. Some one tried making one last year for Utah specifically, but it was made too late in the process and people just kept using the general Rocky Vista one for both schools. Be a good soul and think of this before the next applicants start coming to SDN :)
Yeah maybe next cycle I'll try and get a jump on and help people separate the threads early on haha. I saw the attempt last year, and they're only ended up being about 50 comments or so which is a shame. I guess I was just wondering because Western University just separated this last week their threads between campuses.
Also I was wondering the same thing, does the school start and run the Facebook or should one of us just start it and get it going?

Yeah maybe next cycle I'll try and get a jump on and help people separate the threads early on haha. I saw the attempt last year, and they're only ended up being about 50 comments or so which is a shame. I guess I was just wondering because Western University just separated this last week their threads between campuses.
Also I was wondering the same thing, does the school start and run the Facebook or should one of us just start it and get it going?

When I was there last week, one of the students said they made a Facebook page in February once more students were accepted and committed to the school

It is with a heavy heart that I must leave you all and decline my acceptance. I loved the colorado campus, george, the staff, and the energy there. I hope i'm making the right decision. Good luck to you all!

Has anyone had any trouble with the matriculation agreement or their checklist on the portal? I have been unable to view the agreement after I submitted it. I have completed my background test/drug test but these haven't shown up in my check list either. I saw that someone mentioned they might be emailing us; has anyone gotten one of these emails? I was wondering if I should be worrying at all.. I have submitted my first deposit as well.

Thank you!

Just checked my portal and I was silent rejected pre-II sometime this week. OOS, LizzyM somewhere between 70-72, complete 11/3.

Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

Has anyone had any trouble with the matriculation agreement or their checklist on the portal? I have been unable to view the agreement after I submitted it. I have completed my background test/drug test but these haven't shown up in my check list either. I saw that someone mentioned they might be emailing us; has anyone gotten one of these emails? I was wondering if I should be worrying at all.. I have submitted my first deposit as well.

Thank you!
I e-mailed them, they have been having troubles and we don't need to worry if ours isn't showing up, mine used to and now it doesn't anymore. It shows for the CO campus but not UT. I paid my deposit, did my background test and drug test. My background test shows up as well as my deposit but not my drug test.....hopefully that doesn't mean anything lol.

I e-mailed them, they have been having troubles and we don't need to worry if ours isn't showing up, mine used to and now it doesn't anymore. It shows for the CO campus but not UT. I paid my deposit, did my background test and drug test. My background test shows up as well as my deposit but not my drug test.....hopefully that doesn't mean anything lol.

Mine looks exactly the same for the background test and the drug test.. I went ahead and reached out to the pre-check people about my drug test and they sent me my results in the same day so no need to fret on that. I am glad we are on the same page. Trying to maintain a cool mentality over here lol

Mine looks exactly the same for the background test and the drug test.. I went ahead and reached out to the pre-check people about my drug test and they sent me my results in the same day so no need to fret on that. I am glad we are on the same page. Trying to maintain a cool mentality over here lol
Lol seriously, it's like I don't want anything to go wrong at this stage. How did you go about reaching out to the pre-check people? Def going to do that